Nintendo Download: 8th March 2012 (North America)

Posted by James Newton

Minigolf and Mr Dream

Next week sees Game Gear games come to North America, but until then you can engage in some sporting digital delights, with golf and boxing represented in this week's download leaderboard. Here's what's competing for your cash.

3DS Download Software

Fun! Fun! Minigolf TOUCH! (Shin'en, $4.99) — A much-enhanced version of Shin'en's WiiWare minigolf game, you can read our Fun! Fun! Minigolf TOUCH! preview while you're waiting for our review in the coming days.

3DS Virtual Console

Punch-Out!! Featuring Mr. Dream (NES, Nintendo, $4.99) — Little Mac and his motley crew of oddball opponents return in the first non-Ambassador NES game to reach Virtual Console. Check out our Punch-Out!! Featuring Mr. Dream review for the lowdown.

Wii Virtual Console

King of Fighters '97 (Neo Geo, D4 Enterprise, 900pts) — The legendary fighters return to Wii with the first Neo Geo release in quite some time. Read up on our King of Fighters '97 review to see if this is worth your Points or not.

DSiWare

Zuma's Revenge (Popcap Games, 800pts) — Popcap's ever-popular ball-blaster comes to DSiWare at a premium price point. Our upcoming examination will tell you if you'll have a ball or not.

What are you getting this week, folks? Let us know in our Facebook poll.

Related Games

Rawk_Hawk

Rawk_Hawk said:

you mean there is a new Virtual Console game for the Wii....im shocked but that is a good thing

Pokefanmum82

Pokefanmum82 said:

Might get zuma's revenge and punch out if I could find my 3ds. If not, I'll just get the game gear games.

bezerker99

bezerker99 said:

Good to see another game on the Wii's VC this week! Also, if Punch-Out!! was redone as a 3D Classic, I would pay $5 for it. But already having owned the cart, downloaded it on Wii's VC, and got it in my Animal Crossing house...I'm afraid I will have to pass. :|

ejamer

ejamer said:

Don't think I'll get anything, but that's a solid list of games to get released.

(edit: Fixed before my comment hit.)

scottbut

scottbut said:

soooooo...where's Mega Man X, unless I'm missing something its not on the shop?!

coolvw93

coolvw93 said:

looks like a good list of games, maybe ill get punch out... not sure yet. im waiting till may for the release of retro city rampage on wii ware to get anything from wiiware.

TeeJay

TeeJay said:

Hm. Nothing for me this week. Not like I would have gotten anything if there were. I still haven't gotten Dillon's Rolling Western yet because I'm saving up for Kid Icarus: Uprising. (Got $30 towards my preorder so far, just a little more!)

gojiguy

gojiguy said:

VIRTUAL CONSOLE???

GLORY!!!

GLOOORRYY!!!!!!!!!!!

However, I'm afraid I already own this game... so... Moving along.

Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko said:

@scottbut Umm....what? Are you from NA? Cuz I got Mega Man X months back. We've had it for a looong time. Back in April 2011 to be exact.

TrueWiiMaster

TrueWiiMaster said:

I'm a little disappointed about Punch Out!. I was hoping it would be a 3D classic, but if it's available in its original form I doubt they'll offer an upgraded version alongside it.

1upsuper

1upsuper said:

I already own Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! for my NES, but I just can't pass up portable Punch-Out!!.

Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko said:

I've been waiting to get my first King of Fighters game. I wanted the best one, and it does seem that they keep getting better, especially after '96. Just wondering, and this is for the guys like James or whoever might have a more educated opinion that me, but is there a chance that '98 would ever come out on the VC? That's the one I've really been wanting. If not I could settle for '97.

shonenjump86

shonenjump86 said:

Nice to see a Neo Geo game on VC. I don't have the KOF collection game so I'm gonna pick this up. As for Punch Out... Meh, I'll pass on that.

paburrows

paburrows said:

Just got Punch Out, awesome game!!!!!! Never played Zumas Revenge, how is it? Is it as good as Popcaps Plants vs Zombies? Already have the KOF collection.

iphys

iphys said:

Punch-Out so should have been a 3D Classic. If they're not going to add 3D to NES games, they should leave those NES games on the Wii VC or else give us the ability to transfer our Wii VC titles to 3DS, because it's kind of ridiculous if they expect us to keep rebuying the same old game just to play it on every new system they release.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

@Light-of-Hope: Mario Party 1 will never come to VC due the the minigames that you have to rotate the analog stick, because of lawsuits Nintendo got when it was released on the N64.

Kinda surprised that a Wii VC game came out but really nothing for me this week. I wish they would have redone Punch Out!! as a 3D classic. Personally I am still waiting for Warioland and cant wait for the Game Gear games next week.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

They don't. These re-releases are for the benefit of those who haven't downloaded the games on their Wii, don't own a Wii at all, or have to own a game they previously downloaded on the Wii on their 3DS as well because its portable.

If the option of downloading a NES game on the 3DS appeals to you then go ahead, if you already own it and don't want to buy it again, they're not expecting you to.

Just because I own a movie on VHS doesn't mean I'm entitled to complain if the same movie gets released on DVD or that I'm entitled to a free upgrade to DVD simply for owning the movie on an outdated machine.

RR529

RR529 said:

Might get the minigolf game if it gets some good reviews.

Why can't we get multiple VC releases on 3DS though. Wario Land, Kirby's Block Ball, Dreamland 2, and Kid Icarus: of Myths and Monsters are available in other territories, so what's so hard about bringing them here?

brooks83

brooks83 said:

@Bass_X0

The only difference is, when the movie was transferred to DVD the picture quality is improved and usually there are bonus features that weren't on the VHS version. The Punch Out on the 3DS is the exact same rom that was on the Wii. Also, Sony allows you to transfer PSone classics that you downloaded onto your PS3 to your PSP free of charge.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

The Punch Out on the 3DS is the exact same rom that was on the Wii

With save states instead of just suspend states.

Different company, different policies.

brooks83

brooks83 said:

Yeah, I guess save states are worth paying $4.99 for. Look, I agree, different company, different policies. But as the video game industry is moving more and more online Nintendo is gonna have to evolve or be left behind. Judging by the handling of the VC and WiiWare, Nintendo has a lot of work to do.

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

@Bass_X0 Not to start an argument here, but the only difference is what you just pointed out: the ability to create 1 savestate that can be reloaded more than once(3DS), as opposed to a the ability to create just 1 savestate, that can not be re-used(Wii).

I will not state any possible differences between Nes VC titles on Wii/3DS, as I have not, nor do I intend to, d/l any Nes VC games I don't already own on Wii. Edit: Unless, I really want the game...

Blizzaga

Blizzaga said:

Why don't us North Americans have news for the Street Fighter II game with online yet? This makes me a very sad panda. :(

Retro_on_theGo

Retro_on_theGo said:

...No Kid Icarus...No Kid Icarus!
I don't care what else was released! This is an absolutely disgusting week!

ker-plop

ker-plop said:

Well, I guess "King of Fighters" is something, but I'm still waiting for "Mega Man X2."

the_shpydar

the_shpydar said:

Is Zuma's Revenge the same game as regular Zuma? I have put in ridicuolous amounts of hours on that game on XBLA; it's tempting to grab a portable version. If the price point was a bit lower i'd instabuy, but i'll probably hold off for a bit.

Still can't decide whether to get Punch-Out! or not. I have plenty of other versions, but it is one of my favorite NES games. Of course, if i do get it, that'd be another eternal :U: on my BL since i don't know if i still have my skills anymore to be able to beat Not-Tyson. :D

hendie001

hendie001 said:

@bezerker99 i have animal crossing for gc and wii have never got around to playing them. did not know you could play nes games . what other games can you play and which animal crossing plays them.

Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko said:

@BonHomme Do you think its gonna happen? I would love '98 to come on the VC. Though I don't know if it will. KoF '97 was the last one that came out for the Sega Saturn, and after that they were put on the Dreamcast. Would '98 be too big for the VC?

RantingThespian

RantingThespian said:

Hmmm, mini golf. That sounds perfect for the 3DS. Heck, why not just create a new Mario Mini Golf game for the 3DS? That could be absolutely amazing.

FluttershyGuy

FluttershyGuy said:

Mixed bag. Glad to see another Wii VC release, but what about Kid Icarus: Of Myths & Monsters or Super Mario Land 3? You know they won't be released next week with all the Game Gear games coming. You'd think they'd want KI OMM in particular out a couple of weeks before Uprising as a way of promoting it in a way (like Europe, which got it today). Now, the next chance will be March 22nd, the day before Uprising's release. Oh well. Big N of A is going to do what they're going to do, I at least know it and SML3 are coming.

WolfRamHeart

WolfRamHeart said:

Pretty good update this week. I will probably pick up Punch-Out. I'm tempted to get Fun! Fun! Minigolf TOUCH! since I am a fan of Shin'en's games but I think that I will wait for the review. Nice to see a Virtual Console game on the Wii too.

R-Comeau

R-Comeau said:

Cool, I am Really Waiting For Lufia & The Fortress Of Doom, That Game was Really Enjoyable, I Would Also Like To See Mega Man X2, And Possibly Mega Man X3, and My Favorite Game Super High Impact On Super NES.