Are Bowser and Dr. Eggman in Disney's New Film?

Posted by James Newton

Looks like it

Disney's new animated film, Wreck-It Ralph, is about a video game villain who unleashes a powerful enemy from a first-person shooter. According to these scans from D23 magazine, the movie might have an all-star cast of nemeses, too.

This picture — reportedly of the movie, though admittedly not the finest quality — shows Bowser, Dr. Eggman and Street Fighter's Zangief getting together for a sit down with Ralph in what looks like a talk show setting. Perhaps they're discussing how they stay in shape; we really don't know.

At the moment the details are pretty hazy, but if Disney's making a movie about video games it makes sense to feature some of the gaming world's biggest and brightest stars, even if just in cameo appearances. We'll keep you updated.

Thanks to Mathew for the tip.

[via dvdizzy.com]

NovaParadigm

NovaParadigm said:

I'm trusting you with this one Disney.. You've never let me down when I've really needed you before..

AltDotNerd

AltDotNerd said:

Hopefully they have permission from the respective companies. Nintendo is ruthless when it comes to copyright infringement.

Mariokart7fan

Mariokart7fan said:

Oh and i suppose mario and luigi will be on the heros team eh?
what a laugh this will be if they are really in the film

chiptoon

chiptoon said:

Didn't realise that Zangief was a villan. or is this just because he's Russian?

Late

Late said:

Disney can't turn video game to something like that old Super Mario Bros. movie so I'm fine with this.

V8_Ninja

V8_Ninja said:

It kinda looks like Dr. Wily is also in the picture, hanging off to the left side of Bowser. Either way, this movie will be an interesting development.

TKOWL

TKOWL said:

Finally. I wondered how long it would take for Bowser to get some counseling.

25thquarterking

25thquarterking said:

Hurm.... I'm sure that in Toy Story 2 they were using what looked like SNES controllers to play the video game, I swear.

Seriously though, it'd be nice to see Disney do something a different for once... Instead of trying to milk Pixar for a new sequel or changing up an old fair-tale into something new.

I wonder if they'll add any Tron references too...

Kyloctopus

Kyloctopus said:

Perhaps M Bison is too creepy. Bowser, Eggman, and Zangief don't take eachother seriously.

TwilightV

TwilightV said:

I was kind of upset that they didn't go with this movie's original plot (the title for it was Reboot Ralph, I believe). I quickly dismissed it as a Despicable Me/Megamind style film. Looks like they're trying to recapture my attention... and dang if it's not working. D:

MagicEmperor

MagicEmperor said:

I attended the D23 2011 Expo, and was fortunate to make it into the movie studios panel. I watched the first five minutes of Wreck-It Ralph, and, indeed, there are a lot of clever cameos in the opening. The movie's tone might change, but my friends and I were laughing like crazy. We're definitely excited to watch it.

Late

Late said:

Here's even pictures of SNES in Toy Story 2. And something you may have not noticed in Toy Story 3: http://www.infendo.com/nintendo-spotting-toy-story/

Movie's Wikipedia page seems to know some characters too: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wreck-It_Ralph
Here's one line I spotted: "For example, one planned scene shows Ralph attending a support group for the arcade's various villain characters, including Doctor Eggman, Dr. Wily, Zangief a ghost from Pac-Man and Coily, the snake from Q-Bert."

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

That's awesome. Looks like both my Nintendo and Disney fandoms will be stoked. I knew Wreck-It Ralph would have some neat retro cameos in there, but if there's going to be ones of those kind, my excitement for this movie has spiked. Actually, I bet that is Dr. Wily sitting next to Bowser. I didn't know Zangief was considered a villain, but hey, that's still cool that he's in it as well. Apparently the five of them must be having some counseling going on.

The main character, Ralph, is inspired by Donkey Kong, and you can tell by looking at some of the recent concept art on Disney Wiki. I'm confident that Disney will finally make a good movie about video games.

Objection

Objection said:

Im calling fake until it's verified.
But it'd be neat if this winds up in the movie.

RaylaxStaff

Raylax said:

Haha, Disney do like to put in the odd reference to non-Disney series - a plush toy Totoro of Studio Ghibli fame appeared quite extensively in a few scenes of Toy Story 3:

Untitled

Wamtu

Wamtu said:

@RevolverLink: But he always has and always will be known as Doctor Eggman in Japan (why do you think he had an egg motif even as "Doctor Robotnik"?).

Wikipedia compares the cameos to those in Who Framed Roger Rabbit. That seems about right.

SMW

SMW said:

If Eggman is in this movie, I will see it!

IMDB reads "first-person shooter game arrives featuring tough-as-nails Sergeant Calhoun." I was so hoping to see it be Sarge from Quake 3. Oh well. Still sounds good.

Xiao_Pai

Xiao_Pai said:

I just thought of something...imagine if/when this movie pops in a Kingdom Hearts game. :p

Shotgunryugan

Shotgunryugan said:

I'm only going to watch the movie because of the videogame villains,but seriously since when was Zangrief a villain?

Adam

Adam said:

If Disney researched these games and came away with the Soviet guy as presumably the villain, my expectations are low.

Knuckles

Knuckles said:

If only it has mario and sonic as (minor) protagonists, then it will be hilarious. Obviously Mario would be the (sigh) "main" character in that movie if it was about them, but im looking for major cameos

Kirk

Kirk said:

It's a support group for videogame villains, based on the Wreck-it Ralph Wiki page where they talk about how hard it is always being the bad guy and how they are just misunderstood etc, I assume.

Supposedly the ghosts from Pac-Man and Coily, the snake from Q-Bert, are in there too.

RevolverLink

RevolverLink said:

I wouldn't totally rule out Disney making a quality film here, people; their animation department is overseen by John Lasster now. Sure, they aren't Pixar (nobody is), but I thought that both Tangled and The Princess & the Frog were very good films. Certainly better than either of the Cars movies.

@Wamtu : I never claimed that it was a rational choice. :p

Urbanhispanic

Urbanhispanic said:

lol it's too funny to be true

We will have to wait and see (yes, I saw the pic and I still can't believe it!)

BanjoKirby

BanjoKirby said:

this will obviously be better than that crappy cartoon network show "level-up."

really, it's that bad. but i have faith in this movie.

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

How come this article has a rumor tag when the photo is from the D23 magazine? I consider the D23 magazine very official material. Big Disney fans subscribe to it, and there are lots of memorabilia, trivia, and behind-the-scenes Disney information in it.

The wowza tag certainly fits this, though. This article helped make my day, and it'll be exciting and funny to see this scene unfold. Bowser in Disney CGI! It'll be cool whether these characters appear in only one scene or throughout the movie.

Wamtu

Wamtu said:

@RevolverLink: Okay. :) I just think it's weird (and sometimes a little annoying) how most video game fans object to the localized changes, yet not the Sonic fans, especially when Dr. Eggman made more sense than Robotnik anyway, because as I said, the egg motif is just bizarre without his real name (well, more so than with it). If they hadn't made that change, we could've assumed that Eggman was simply his last name, but nooo, they had to change it. I guess in America, he's crazy.

Anyway, on the movie: I'm not sure. If this was any other company (or even another department of Disney) I'd be completely uninterested, but Disney's animation department have been making some pretty great movies lately.

Oh, and another thing, @RevolverLink: actually, at this point, I think Disney Animation basically are Pixar, as I believe a lot of Pixar's best guys are now working for them (which might explain the steady decline in the quality of Pixar films. Have you seen the latest trailers for Brave? >shudder< It looks like a...DREAMWORKS movie. Worse, actually. Their stuff is okay).

Chuie

Chuie said:

um ok disney could pull this off i doubt it i still till this day want disneys to make a kingdom hearts movie

mario300

mario300 said:

cant this be on cartoon network?it doesent matter cause i watch disney channel or xd

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

I don't believe Bowser/Wily/Zanglief would appear in KH. Or at least more than once, if at all, though, I highly doubt at all. This is probably just a one time cameo in-movie scene; perhaps maybe even twice in-movie. But I seriously doubt these characters would show up in a video game, any based on a movie that itself is based on a concept of video games.

Also, these cameos are probably similar to the Bond villains appearing at the counseling session during the credits of Inspector Gadget: they looked everything like Jaws, Oddjob, etc.but in the credits they were named as clearly being not parodies, but as characters w/ similar physical design features, & traits, but not the actual Oddjob, Jaws, etc. themselves.

Personally, I really wouldn't wanna see any of those game characters in a Disney movie, of all things. Then again, that's just my opinion.

lalalalalalal

lalalalalalal said:

Idk...i did some research on this movie...and i'm almost certain that this is true..Hey, at least they didn't spin off characters like make mario into Fario or sumthin' :/

Trikeboy

Trikeboy said:

He may have been Dr Eggman in Japan but I grew up in the UK where he was always called Dr Robotnik until they phased it out in Sonic Adventure on the Dreamcast. He will always be Dr Robotnik to me. I hope to see Ganondorf in that line up, the only vilian that actually does what he says he will.

Also, in Sonic the Comic, Robotnik used to be called Ovi Kintobor. Ovi is their take on egg. Dr Ivo Robotnik for the win. :D