Nintendo Senior Managing Director Nobuo Nagai Passes Away

Posted by James Newton

Sad times

Nintendo senior managing director Nobuo Nagai has died aged 66 after a battle with stomach cancer.

Nagai joined Nintendo in 1967, becoming a director in 2000 before moving up to managing director, eventually becoming senior managing director and representative director in 2004.

Among Nintendo's board of directors, Nagai had worked at Nintendo the longest, with 44 years of service under his belt.

Nagai headed up Nintendo's Uji manufacturing plant, with Nintendo president Satoru Iwata remarking in a 3DS Iwata Asks:

The first thing (Nobuo) Nagai-san, who's in charge at the Uji plant, said to me when he looked over the designs for Nintendo 3DS before mass production began was "This time it's fully packed right from the start."

A Nintendo statement says:

Nintendo Co., Ltd. deeply regrets to announce that Representative Director Nobuo Nagai (Senior Managing Director and General Manager, Manufacturing Division) passed away yesterday (January 22, 2012) and has retired as Director. Mr. Nagai's contribution to Nintendo was greatly appreciated and he will be deeply missed.

WolfRamHeart

WolfRamHeart said:

Very sad news indeed. My thoughts and prayers go out to him and his family. Rest in peace Mr. Nobuo Nagai. :(

nick_gc

nick_gc said:

This is sad, I wonder if he was ill. Trying to find out what he did at Nintendo, but there's not a lot to go on.

thedanman64

thedanman64 said:

Wow, he's been with nintendo since 1967. Wish we knew more about who he was. RIP Mr Nagal

KeeperBvK

KeeperBvK said:

"passed away yesterday (January 22, 2012) and has retired as Director"

He's passed away and retired? Was that really necessary to express?

DNA

DNA said:

We know and believe that M r.Nobuo Nagai ist on his way home.Might God guide his family through the valley of shadow of death....

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

I'll keep Sakai and his family in my prayers. His work for Nintendo will never go underappreciated.

darkgamer001

darkgamer001 said:

Wish we knew more about him, seeing as he's been with Nintendo before they were even thinking of launching the Game & Watch and the NES.
R.I.P =(

Shworange

Shworange said:

Wow, he was with Nintendo since 1967? I know Nintendo started out as a card game maker, so is that what they were doing at that point, or were they into some other form of game in 1967?

Megajack

Megajack said:

ah. too bad. who cares about that random lady with a fake smile that quit nintendo. this dude died!

edhe

edhe said:

@Classicgamer I care about the story that "random" lady (why shouldn't you know who she is - she worked at Nintendo UK, and we don't have superstars like Cammie Dunaway and Reginald Fils-Aime working for us) "with fake smile" (you totally stole that from @Mok ) Dawn Paine left Nintendo UK's advertising department.

In fact, I care about her leaving Nintendo UK about as much as I do the passing of random Japanese Nintendo managing director Nobuo Nagai.

Knuckles

Knuckles said:

I hope more employees like him dont die, he had a great faith in nintendo, the last thing we need to see is more vets go.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

Ain't it sad that I hear Nagai's name until the day he dies? Anyway, condolences.

@4. nick_gc

The news says he died from stomach cancer. Same thing that killed Osamu Tezuka.

shinesprite

shinesprite said:

I heard about this last night, terribly upsetting news and I wish his family all the best.

Neko_Rukiafan

Neko_Rukiafan said:

Your many accomplishments at Nintendo and the video game industry will never be forgotten. R.I.P. you will be missed. :(