Nintendo Download: 24th November 2011 (North America)

Posted by James Newton

Samus is back!

The headline story this week: intergalactic bounty hunter Samus Aran returns to Nintendo 3DS, battling Metroids — but definitely not Space Pirates — in a portable adventure that paves the way for Super Metroid.

In other news, DSiWare continues to swell with puzzle games and there's definitely something fishy going on in WiiWare.

3DS Virtual Console

Metroid II: Return of Samus (Game Boy, Nintendo, $3.99) — Samus Aran's second appearance on 3DS after the Ambassador version of Metroid, this sees the bounty hunter destroying Metroids left, right and centre. It's a good little game, as our upcoming review will explain.

DSiWare

Battle of the Elements (EnjoyUp Games, 500pts) — Combining two of DSiWare's biggest features — animals and matching coloured objects — Battle of the Elements has a story mode, 40 missions and local multiplayer too. We'll see if it's worth grabbing or should be left to the elements in our upcoming review.

Come On! Heroes (CIRCLE Entertainment, 200pts) — CIRCLE has been on a roll lately with its Castle Conqueror line, and now it's trying its hand at action with the pleasingly encouraging Come On! Heroes. We'll have a full review soon.

WiiWare

Big Bass Arcade (Big John Games, 500pts) — Get bass in this big-screen conversion of Big Bass Arcade on DSiWare, with all the Remote-and-Nunchuk japery you'd expect. We'll land a verdict in our upcoming review.

Related Games

Rawk_Hawk

Rawk_Hawk said:

Adding more Wii VC games would give me a good reason to add more points to my Wii Shop, but since Nintendo does not care about the VC then I don't care buying more points.

Link79

Link79 said:

No Wii VC again is rather dissapointing on thanksgiving day of all days.
On the plus side though at least we got Return of Samus.
I'll be downloading that ASAP!
Now when are we getting those GBA Ambassador games you owe us Nintendo?

SkywardLink98

SkywardLink98 said:

We could use some wii vc. Nothing good is on Wiiware, so the only point of the shop channel for me is to play older games.

HeroOfCybertron

HeroOfCybertron said:

Downloading Metroid II: Return of Samus first thing when the store updates and I'm kinda interested in Come On! Heroes.

brandonbwii

brandonbwii said:

I kinda expected Nintendo to pile on the downloads since it's the holidays. Figured they treat it like the retail shopping season. Guess I was wrong. :(

Kevin

Kevin said:

This is why I started recollecting NES cartridges guys. They sold out the VC once they added the crappy ware services. The classics rock.

Burning_Spear

Burning_Spear said:

"I kinda expected Nintendo to pile on the downloads since it's the holidays. Figured they treat it like the retail shopping season. Guess I was wrong."

On the contrary, they probably want you spending your glue on retail games this weekend.

Supremeist

Supremeist said:

Will put Metroid II on my wishlist, but not gonna buy it right away. I haven't beaten the first one yet.

Donjwolf

Donjwolf said:

Battle of the Elements sounds fun. How is it? 500 pts means 5 bucks? Can't get it anyway, and Metroid II is off by a few cents :P

falloutboy152

falloutboy152 said:

Im tired of waiting for Flipnote Memo. ive waited 10 months for this and Nintendo never even gives out info on flipnote memo. same with GBA ambassador games.

grumblebuzzz

grumblebuzzz said:

I guess it could be because I've not turned my Wii on in like months but I seem to be one of the only people on this site who couldn't give a flying fruit about new Wii VC games. That ship has sailed for me. Now new 3DS VC games? That's new and exciting, so yes, that does something for me.

gojiguy

gojiguy said:

Hmm... no Wii VC... too bad but not unusual. I wonder when we get SFII online and Strider...

Also, I want G.G. Series Super Hero Ogre 2!!

Unca_LzStaff

Unca_Lz said:

@Link79: Why not buy some of the newer games instead of complaining about the lack of old games' rereleases? Also, Nintendo doesn't "owe" us anything ;)

CosmoXY

CosmoXY said:

Wow, sure are a lot of crybabies on here this Thanksgiving. I'll be grabbing Metroid II as soon as I get home from the in-laws.

Karakato

Karakato said:

Metroid II? Haven't played this game in ages, now is the perfect time to finish the game. Will be there at 12 sharp :)

komicturtle

komicturtle said:

My priority on the shop is to get Kirby's adventure, then Metroid (maybe..) and then Pushmo :)

Tare

Tare said:

Might also be worth mentioning E-shop cards are now available in Canada in Futurehop

Donjwolf

Donjwolf said:

@Tare
What denominations? I find it lame that Canada only has $20 and $50 PSN cards but US has those in addition to $10 cards. Is the Eshop cards in Canada the same way?

Too bad there's no FS's near me.

mrtambourineman

mrtambourineman said:

Ah, the 13th week straight without a Wii vc. Nintendos way of saying happy effing Thanksgiving. To be honest though, I've ditch Nintendo in favor of Playstation recently. I finally bought a psp and couldnt be happier. They're always adding psone classics, they've recently added Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, Final Fantasy V and Final Fantasy VI comes in two weeks, thats only to name a couple.

Do you really want to stick around for a 14th week of disappointment? Its clear Nintendo doesn't give a crap about their (vanishing) audience.

I-U

I-U said:

Already have Metroid II downloaded. Will start it up very soon.

Donjwolf

Donjwolf said:

Has nobody bought Battle of the Elements? I wanna see what people think of it. It looks like Bust-A-Move mixed with Puzzle League.

FluttershyGuy

FluttershyGuy said:

I've been waiting for Metroid II. It's one of those must-haves for a 3DS VC collection! :) I'm disappointed in no Wii VC, though. I thought we'd surely get one, being a holiday. I see that there are games like Strider waiting in the wings. So, what gives? Outside Japan, have Nintendo branches just giving up on console VC until Wii U arrives?

At any rate, happy turkey day, everypony! :D

slidecage

slidecage said:

downloaded with DSI games today will hopefully play them tonight and maybe some insite late tonihgt

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

Yeah Metroid 2 going to be playing that one in between cooking Turkey and sweet potatoes.

Flowerlark

Flowerlark said:

I downloaded Come on Heroes. It's quite fun. I like it and I don't normally like arcade style gameplay.

MasterGraveheart

MasterGraveheart said:

With this, I can finally say I have played every Metroid game!

...

Mom, Dad, why did I have a Game Gear instead of a Game Boy when I was little? x.x

the_shpydar

the_shpydar said:

Can't decide if i'll get Metroid II, as i have the GB cart and just replayed it earlier this year ... ahh, who am i kidding, i know i'll grab it eventually!
/me reaches for 3DS
Also, Happy Turkey Day, everypony!

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

Nothing for me today. Oh well, Nintendo will probably sell a boatload of 3DS units for Black Friday.

DrDaisy

DrDaisy said:

Hmm. I apparently took no unnecessary risk spending my points on And Yet It Moves a few days ago.

Tare

Tare said:

@ 30 The cards I saw (And took pictures of) are 20$ cards

@46 I live in Toronto Ontario. I'm a bit perplexed that you haven't seen them yet

SLiM

SLiM said:

I think Nintendo should have added some Space Pirates in order to make the game description accurate :P

Bassman_Q

Bassman_Q said:

Just downloaded Come On! Heroes awhile ago, and its surprisingly good. It's split into missions, which is good, and you can level up attacks. Plus it's got two modes to play. I don't how many missions there are, but I'd say its well worth the two bucks. :)