Panoramic Super Mario 3D Land Artwork is Awesome

Posted by James Newton

What's that tucked away?

The Super Mario 3D Land box art is nice and all, but it's just a very small square of the bigger picture. The much, much bigger picture.

Nintendo Europe just released the full image, weighing in at an eye-watering 10,000 x 4,000 pixels, and it's like a who's who of Mario: Bob-ombs, Toad, Bowser and more are all there, but there's more interesting sights hidden away.

Shown here is what appears to be a stone Luigi statue in a pose reminiscent of the original Tanooki suit's statue ability in Super Mario Bros. 3. Is it just fan service or a hint that Luigi, the statue power or perhaps even both will appear in Mario's next adventure?

We recently got chance to play the game's first two worlds, so you can read our Super Mario 3D Land preview for more details. Look for our Mario Q&A this weekend to answer your questions, too.

Click the image below to enlarge it.

Teh-Ray

Teh-Ray said:

Like I said on the forum topic, there's also the option that there is a statue ability that works like Kirby's stone ability on Kirby Super Star: He can transform, but he can randomly transform into other things as well.

I can see that happening with Mario's statue, randomly transforming into Luigi.

Collinhall

Collinhall said:

If luigi and the tooniki suit statue ability were in the game, I would weep tears of joy.

Tate24

Tate24 said:

i seen this on japanese site ages ago and on official nintendo magazine site plus amazing new white tanooki suit and p-wing.

ive put links in forum super mario 3D land suit predictions :)

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

The picture's very pretty. It looks like there's going to be a spiky enemy coming from the upper left corner too.

grumblebuzzz

grumblebuzzz said:

Wouldn't we already know if the statue ability were in the game? Much has been said of the disappointment of those who have played the game that it isn't part of Tanooki Mario's move set. Still yet, it is pretty interesting and I do wonder what it's about.

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

Seems like a damn near perfect representation of the game. This could only be better if

• it had the shadows of the boxart or some other background
  • there was only one tail
  • the pose of the Goomba in front of the warp pipe wouldn't look slightly out of place
retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

Looks good and all but I don't like the white backdrop? They couldn't spend 1 min in adding a special backdrop to this?

Thwiidscube

Thwiidscube said:

Wow! That's huge! And boy, Nintendo sure is getting carried away with those raccoon/tanooki tails.

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

I really hope that Luigi and the ability to transform into the statue with the Tanooki suit are in it.

RaylaxStaff

Raylax said:

I think we should start photoshopping Tanooki tails onto everything.

Radixxs

Radixxs said:

Very cool. But why does everything have to have a tail now? Bob-omb Tanooki tail? Really?

nikachus01

nikachus01 said:

That looks awesome. Where do you get the full size version, I noticed that the above image is 5000 x 2000 pixels, where do you get the 10k x 4k version?

James

James said:

@nikachus01 I had to resize the original image so it didn't break the site, and also because it's a huge file. If you use the Contact form I'll happily email you a link :)

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

I need to go to NYC Comic-Con to test drive this game! Though, I agree that Nintendo is overusing the tails. Don't abuse nostalgia, Nintendo! Or everyone will eventually get sick, & tired of it.

pocket_arsenal

pocket_arsenal said:

Sweet, Green Mario who get's nervous occasionally is confirmed.

Alright, Shows over people. We know all the unlockables in this game.