Dragon Quest X Goes Online for Wii and Wii U

Posted by James Newton

New game revealed

Square Enix's press conference in Japan has been and gone, and now we finally have information about Dragon Quest X.

Officially titled Dragon Quest X Mezameshi Itsutsu no Shuzoku Online — roughly meaning Dragon Quest X: The Wake of the Five Tribes Online — the game will see release on Wii in 2012, with an enhanced Wii U version promised too, Square Enix pledging cross-platform play between them.

Yes, that's right — for the first time in a numbered game, Dragon Quest is going online, with players partying up to take on the quests and monsters that await in the new world. The game will support Wii Remote and Nunchuk, Classic Controller Pro and keyboard for chatting, though no mention of Wii Speak or headset compatibility yet. Dragon Quest creator Yuji Horii also discussed the possibility of using the 3DS for StreetPass and SpotPass modes, though nothing formal was announced.

Interestingly the Wii version ships with a USB memory stick, which will most likely be used for downloadable content and patches in future.

It's yet to be decided whether the game will come with a subscription fee, or of course whether it'll launch outside of Japan, but here's hoping for good news on both counts.

[via andriasang.com]

WolfRamHeart

WolfRamHeart said:

I am very excited about this! I really hope that it comes to the US. This would make the Wii U an absolute necessity for me.:)

JimmyWhale

JimmyWhale said:

I don't know whether to be excited or disappointed. I love Dragon Quest, so I'll say excited. I love the idea of a Dragon Quest MMO, but at the same time I feel like they kind of teased us by calling it "Ten"...

y2josh

y2josh said:

Well, I guess I'll be getting a Wii U when this comes out after all.

sykotek

sykotek said:

I heart me some Dragon Quest, but a subscription fee? No thanks. I'll pass if that's the case.

Wheels2050

Wheels2050 said:

Looks interesting, but I just don't know if I have the time to invest in big games like this these days!

I do, however, like that it can be completed offline - good for people like me who often don't get to a game until the online community is small or completely dead, which can result in missing out on chunks of a game.

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

I don't care how much they evolve and change Final Fantasy, but I'd rather see them stick to the basics with Dragon Quest. This news of online play just dropped this one off my most-wanted list. :D

Highwinter

Highwinter said:

Online is definitely worrying. It's not so bad if it's being done like DQIX, where you simply have the option of playing with others, but if it's an actual MMO, I'm not going to be as interested.. and if it has a subscription, you can count me as one lost sale.

I would have much preferred another single player RPG, more in line with the previous games.

LeasTwanteD

LeasTwanteD said:

I think a good MMO game is a must to show off the Wii U's online capabilities and make people confident that it's a main focus with the new console. The Dragon Quest brand would most likely garner the most interest for this on the Wii U.
Which makes me think that for Nintendo it would have been better to skip the Wii with this game and entirely move it to the Wii U / 3DS. In the west at least. Since in Japan i can imagine a lot of gamers buying the game twice.

If you have to pay a monthly fee you can count me out of this game too. If not i'll most likely wait for the Wii U version which will hopefully include voice chat then.

The inclusion of the USB stick is really interesting. Makes me wonder why they didn't go for saves on the SD card and i hope you won't have to download stuff with the PC instead on the Wii itself.

Highwinter

Highwinter said:

After watching the gameplay footage, I'm very disappointed. It definitely isn't just using online features for a single player game the way DQIX did, it's an actual MMO with hundreds of other players (and most likely a subscription fee). That probably also means no real story, and no NPC companions.. which was the biggest problem with IX.

The combat system also isn't turn based and instead looks very much like Final Fantasy XIII. Oh well.. tell me when they announce XI.

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

Man, it's an RPG, I just can't see it coming to the US. Reggie would rather give the go on Cooking Mama X.

Not holding my breath, but this sounds very cool.

KaiserGX

KaiserGX said:

Nintendo been cranking the DQs games here like no bodies business. Wheres SE is kinda like... alright..?

Bankai

Bankai said:

@17 - um. Reggie has nothing to do with Dragon Quest. It's Square Enix's game, and as far as I know, Square Enix isn't getting Nintendo to publish this one.

The reason the other three games that Project Rainbow threw a tantrum over were up to Nintendo was because Nintendo published them.

Highwinter

Highwinter said:

@Wheels2050
That doesn't mean you wouldn't still have to pay a subscription and it also doesn't address what the single biggest problem with IX was - the party members being hollow mannequins.

@KaiserGX
It's not even coming out in Japan this year, it'll likely be translated by the European team again (hopefully) and could be several years away.

GameLord08

GameLord08 said:

I pray this is an actual MMO, especially for the Wii U. :D
But subsciption fees? Oh, bloody hell.

ueI

ueI said:

I wasn't much of a fan of the semi multiplayer gameplay of IX; hopefully X is better as an actual MMO on a console. I won't buy it if it includes subscription fees, but I'll try to think optimistically about that.

JayArr

JayArr said:

If it sticks to the rigid lined-up across from each other turn-based action it sounds like the most boring MMO game ever.

HandheldGuru97

HandheldGuru97 said:

If this launches with then Wii U in 2012 for the US I will be the first in line. CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!! Please no subscription fees that will ruin the Dragon Quest series.

Wheels2050

Wheels2050 said:

@Highwinter: I haven't played DQIX so can't comment on the NPCs, but I'd be impressed if they managed to enforce subscription fees for an entirely offline portion of a game...

TrueWiiMaster

TrueWiiMaster said:

I hope this keeps the turn-based battles that Dragon Quest has always used. Changing it to completely real-time combat could make me skip this title. I'm also pretty concerned with the focus on online play. Like plenty of others have said, it would be unfortunate if the single player suffered due to the focus on multiplayer. When I get an rpg I want it to be single player with multiplayer options, not the other way around.

SilverBaretta

SilverBaretta said:

Huh, so it's like the Dragon Quest version of FFXI? I may actually look into this, even if I lost interest in DQIX after almost beating it.

motang

motang said:

I am actually excited about this. Looking forward to playing DQX. I really liked DQ VIII and IX.

Unca_LzStaff

Unca_Lz said:

And thus I take one off my most wanted list. I'm not a big fan of MMOs. Also @17 and 19, the ironic thing is Nintendo doesn't publish Cooking Mama either.

komicturtle

komicturtle said:

Well, this is real exciting. And I was close about DQX coming to WiiU :P

Feels good to be right.

With connectivity to 3DS, it'll be much much easier to get hits rather than the limited DS tag mode.

zeeroid

zeeroid said:

There is a pretty good chance of this getting localized by NoA — DQIX did pretty damn well here if I recall, and Nintendo marketed the hell out of that. Remember when all Reggie would talk about was how he was playing DQIX? Yeah, it would surprise me if Nintendo doesn't publish this in the US.

19Robb92

19Robb92 said:

It looks really good and I can't wait to see the WiiU version. I doubt it will have monthly fees here in the west. Same thing with Monster Hunter, no fees here, but fees in Japan.

I'm not getting it though. I've never played DQ and I don't plan on starting either. But it's definitely one of those BIG system seller titles in Japan. Nintendo should be thankful they'll get it on the WiiU.

komicturtle

komicturtle said:

Actually, Nintendo has plenty to do with whether or not this comes to NA (which it will). Remember that partnership SE made with Nintendo to bring the DQ games and promote them heavily in the states? The last few DQ games were published by Nintendo.

This one is going to be the same. Since it was confirmed last year, anyhow, that Nintendo of America will be publishing this game.

rockman0

rockman0 said:

A Dragon Quest MMO...I'd most definitely buy this game. However, I can't pay a subscription. I've already pledged my allegiance to two subscription-based games. :p

Ghost Recon Online is supposed to be on Wii U also. I'm hoping Nintendo finally subscribes (no pun intended) to the idea of having MMOs on their console. Like Pokemon, or even LoZ.

Graph

Graph said:

Ugh, so this is a full MMO and no option to single play like a real Dragon Quest game? Disapointing. I'm so sick of Multiplayer being a main feature. I stopped playing WoW and some other MMOs because of the fees, time and stupid people.

Guess I won't be getting DQX now :(

AVahne

AVahne said:

Gonna get the Wii version first and play that. When Wii U coems out, I'll get the Wii U version and my lil bro can play with me with him on the Wii.

@ Graph
I'm pretty sure they said last night that you can play offline and play the entire game by yourself like a normal DQ game.

19Robb92

19Robb92 said:

@Graph
I think it like @Koto is saying. It's still up in the air if it'll have singleplayer or not. I'd wait for a 'real' confirmation if I was interested in the game.

Geonjaha

Geonjaha said:

Oh Damn it. Lucky Wii owners. Why cant it just be on the PC if its going to be an MMORPG? :/

AVahne

AVahne said:

According to andriasang, looks like you'll be forced to play this game online. Japan will also seem to get subscription. Unless "usage fee" means micro-transactions. If they want this game to sell in the west and actually be PLAYED, it better be B2P instead of P2P.

Nintex

Nintex said:

oh hell yes, dragon quest is my ! definitely b pickn this up for wii u

X-145

X-145 said:

I just hope that there is an actuall story line. If not then, I'll read the review and get it if its an 8 or so. If it has monthly fees, I'll only play the offline, like DQVIII. But if its just for the "Post purchase" stuff, such as DLC dungeons or Bosses and such, I'm on board all the way!

ecco6t9

ecco6t9 said:

I'm really concerned about this, it seems that SquareSoft has finally sunk it's teeth into Enix.

AVahne

AVahne said:

@ 56
Square Soft lost all traces of Square Soft it had left when Sakaguchi left. Now it's "that Japanese company that makes RPGs"

Widdowson91

Widdowson91 said:

Sounds interesting. Hopefully the Wii U version will showcase the possibilities of the up-to-now unknown online capabilities. As for coming to the west, I think it is a safe bet. Dragon Quest is Square-Enix's second biggest franchise and I'm sure Squar will want a world wide release.

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

I serious wanna kill whoever's idea it is to add that last part to the title. C'mon Dragon Quest X Online, as much as I love an MMO of DQ, why does it had to be DQX, a main DQ game. Does SE ran out of ideas already? I want a traditional deep story-driven single player Dragon Quest game for the Wii and this is what they made instead.

Now it's like freaking spin-off, SE if you wanna make a DQ MMO at least make that for the Wii U and don't add a roman numeral to it, let the Wii had DQX and let the Wii U had DQ MMO. Damn waiting for two years and instead they gave us crap.

Bucho

Bucho said:

Can't wait! last night watching the live upstream i gasped like a little boy when the trailer started. i don't mind if it's monthly fee, if i payed 12.95 a month for 7 years to play FFXI online, i don't mind going back to monthly fee gaming if it's DQX on Wii, but it would deffinitely be a great excuse to buy a WiiU

WolfRamHeart

WolfRamHeart said:

So people complain that the Dragon Quest series is too archaic and that the Wii doesn't have any games with online support but when they decide to try something new and give us a different take on Dragon Quest with full online support people still complain. Wow, maybe this game should have been on the PS3 and Xbox 360 instead.:D

yoyogamer

yoyogamer said:

I don't really care to much, according to my circulatory, I won't 100 finish IX for another 13 years.

Unca_LzStaff

Unca_Lz said:

@61: I wouldn't have minded if it had online, but making online required is a huge setback for me

WolfRamHeart

WolfRamHeart said:

@lz20XX: Yeah, I totally get where you are coming from. If this game does in fact require you to be connected online at all times even to play single player then that would be a huge problem for a lot of people. I understand too that people will be upset if there is also a subscription fee to play online. I have read different things on different websites today, some say that you don't need to be connected online to play just the single player game while others do. I'm not sure what to believe right now. We definitely need more info about this game if they do decide to release it outside Japan. Personally, I think that they won't be charging a subscription fee outside of Japan. Hopefully, the online will be free just like Capcom did for Monster Hunter Tri. I guess we just have to wait and see if Square Enix is willing to do the same.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

Huh? I don't get it. Is Dragon Quest X going to be like FF XI & FF XIV in the sense that it'll be an MMO? :S That would suck if that's the case, really hope it's got at least a seperate single player. Though an MMO on Wii is tempting...

Bankai

Bankai said:

@59 ... what? Dragon Quest games have always been light and frivolous. They have never, ever been "deep" (that's what Final Fantasy strives for).

The Dragon Quest style of game will suit online play. I think a lot of people here are having a knee-jerk reaction to this, and not actually thinking about how it will work. DQ is Square Enix's most important franchise, they're not going to get this one wrong.

@36 Fair enough. I was more making the point that in terms of "Nintendo isn't gonna publish this in the States..." that's a silly, silly statement to make.

The other three JRPGs are all unique, and don't have a strong, 20+ year brand backing them up. Dragon Quest is a massive franchise, and if Nintendo decided it didn't want to localise it, Square Enix would do it themselves, or get someone else to do it.

Nintendo can't outright block Dragon Quest being released in the States, any more than it could stop Call of Duty. It doesn't own exclusive rights to these games.

Tryken

Tryken said:

I can't wait for this. And, yeah, DQ9 was a like a pre-cursor for this. But, man, I'm excited they're sticking with Nintendo. This is what we needed: a solid online experience that's UNIQUE to Nintendo.

Amorous_Badger

Amorous_Badger said:

I know judging on graphics alone is a mistake but my word that's an AWFUL looking screenshot. Is it a mock-up?