3D Movies Coming to the 3DS Netflix Service

Posted by Trevor Chan

Another feather in the 3DS's cap

While free video content have started being rolled out to Japanese and European 3DS users, the subscription-based Netflix streaming service has launched on the North American Nintendo eShop, allowing existing Netflix members on the $7.99 price plan and upwards to stream content onto their 3DS consoles.

In Nintendo's press release, an interesting nugget of information can be found regarding whether 3DS users will one day be able to watch 3D movies on their handheld. The short answer is: yes they will.

The new Netflix application for Nintendo 3DS displays movies and TV episodes in 2D on the system’s upper screen. Users will soon have access to an additional library of select movies that can be viewed in 3D without the need for special glasses.

The full press release doesn't mention when the selected 3D movies will become available or any other details, but when they do surface, we'll let you know.

Ren

Ren said:

AAwwwwww, yeah! thats what we all been waiting to hear!

andyutd97

andyutd97 said:

Cheers Nintendo. We get a crappy video service with two boring clips. One of a mindless man doing a magic trick whilst the americans get 3D movies. Yeh good one Nintendo

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

Only took four months to get something on the system that should've been there day one. Better late than never I guess.

bezerker99

bezerker99 said:

Did you know that 25% of all internet traffic in North America during the evening hours is nothing but Netflix streaming!?? It totally makes sense that it was released here first....but I'm not sure what the real hold up is for other Regions.

Token_Girl

Token_Girl said:

Well, for Europe, Netflix would have to renegotiate content rights with studios around each individual's country's laws. Plus, if you want to beef up your audience in, say, France, you need to have a substantial library of movies in French. That's why even if service does roll out in Europe, it will take a while to reach the entire region. That's why we have it, and they don't.

Retro_on_theGo

Retro_on_theGo said:

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World in 3D please.
That's what Europe gets for telling America to stop complaining! I will now try to get Netflix.

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

@ColorsOfSonic

The eshop and any additional video services should've been there day one as well. The launch was not good at all. No eshop, only one good game, which was a port of a 360/PS3 game. Nintendo screwed the pooch on this one.

Chris720

Chris720 said:

Hopefully we get Lovefilm soon on 3DS... it's basically an EU version of Netflix.

Squid

Squid said:

Dang... You see, I have a Blockbuster and a Netflix account, but I can't afford both of them at one time. I use Blockbuster for renting games and movies (but mostly games), and I could use Netflix (which is unactive at the moment) for the 3DS/Wii... Man, I don't know which one I want to use.... Renting games for unlimited time, or watchin stuff on my 3DS (not to mention I had to cut my cable, so I can't watch anything at all)... If only Netflix would start doing games... Then my problem would be solved! :D

Milkman-123

Milkman-123 said:

netflix increased prices, yet blockbuster lowered prices. so why cant there be a blockbuster app? D:

Retro_on_theGo

Retro_on_theGo said:

@turtlelink I don't know actually,I don't think it is. I just want to see that in 3D without glasses. I never saw it in 3D, but I thought some scenes would look awesome in 3D and benefit from depth. Plus it's my favorite movie.

siavm

siavm said:

@Gamer83
You know the launch was 3 months ago. Let me teach you something. You can not bring back the past, you can change the now, and hope for the future. Meaning eshop available now. So stop complaining. Movies are out now so stop complaining. Zelda is out so stop complaining. And great games are coming out this year. So my pessimist get happy because things only get better from here.

And P.S. Someone who gets a system now has all these features now.

And P.S. last one, now you mad little US gamers you can say we are getting something over Europe now.

Ren

Ren said:

Scott Pilgrim was not shot in 3D, and director Edgar Wright has actually expressed his distaste for 3D, so I seriously doubt anyone is going to start converting random things like that into 3D.
It takes way more than the push of a button to achieve 3D as we've all learned thanks to the slow uptake of 3DS content overall.
There are enough CGI kids movies in 3D already, though, to have a lot of pretty fun content soon. Looking forward to it.

Retro_on_theGo

Retro_on_theGo said:

@Ren ah well, It's alright. The movie was already great beyond belief. No need for an awesome gimmick. Cool to find out Edgar Wright actually dislikes it though. Like him even more as a director now.

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

Sweeeet!! I just activated Netflix on my 3DS. I also have it installed on my Wii and PS3, although to date I've primarily used it on the PS3.

EDIT: The app takes considerably longer to load on 3DS :P
EDIT2: I believe the application is still somewhat buggy, considering the loading screen sits there indefinitely and there are no thumbnails of the programs.

IMO, many of the animated PG movies I find much more exiting to watch in 3D than live action movies. The humor in the animated films is usually brilliant, but the main reason I is I prefer to watch live action movies in 2D (unless it's crammed with special effects as in Avatar 3D) and the effects in CGI movies is so much more impressive in 3D.

Nintendophile

Nintendophile said:

Not to be petty, but: After all those special collector's edition bundles that Europe's been getting, it's about time we Americans get the upper hand on something. -_^

melechofsin

melechofsin said:

this is so amazing. Watching Avatar or Toy Story in 3D without glasses on the 3DS. Best device in the world really... With proper marketing, nintendo can sell trillions.