Wii U Mii Characters Are the Same As On 3DS

Posted by James Newton

Although not 3D, obviously

Having established Mii characters as the ever-changing face of Wii games, and now on 3DS too, it's no surprise Nintendo's bobble-headed avatars will also feature on Wii U. Just as there's something familiar about the console's name, so there will be with the Miis too — they'll be the same as on 3DS.

Wii Sports Resort producer Katsuya Eguchi confirmed the machine will include the same Mii characters as the recent handheld.

We added some features, and the Mii editor that's on the 3DS is different from the one that's on the Wii. Ultimately we'll use those same Miis on the Wii U. Right now it looks the same as the ones on the Wii because we don't have the ability to create Miis in the Wii U yet.

Hopefully we'll still receive some extra customisation features, but we'll have to wait to find out.

[via uk.wii.ign.com]

6ch6ris6

6ch6ris6 said:

i think miis are best kind of avatars this gen has. the xbox and playstation avatars look too realistic for my taste. miis are much funnier.

maybe some small extras would be cool though

tylers_username

tylers_username said:

so, waht youre saying is that theyre gonna be on a next gen console with noticeably low-counts of polygons and low res faces?

grumblebuzzz

grumblebuzzz said:

Monsti

Monsti said:

I agree with Mully. The Miis are fine and I don't need more details. But we need some clothing and my friend has had pink hair for years now....there's no option for that.

Supremeist

Supremeist said:

I don't think Nintendo should completely change the Mii's.. but atleast add some new clothes, and hairstyles. Nothing major, though.

Xiao_Pai

Xiao_Pai said:

Pretty much what Mully said...would like to re-create some of my favorite anime/game characters...without them looking too...well, stupid. lol

LoopyLuigi

LoopyLuigi said:

Aw, I was hoping for something like the characters from Dragon Quest IX or Harvest Moon. I never really liked the Miis. Oh well, it's really all about the games anyway.

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

"Right now it looks the same as the ones on the Wii because we don't have the ability to create Miis in the Wii U yet."

My reply is "?". You mean you haven't implemented more features for the WiiU Miis or it "can't" be done, I'm confused. Either way, can we have arms and legs ALL the time on the Miis at least so they're not just disembodied, floating, ghosts at times? Also, some polish and maybe only a "pinch" of more realism would be a nice subtle touch, thanks Nintendo.

warioswoods

warioswoods said:

Some subtle graphical updating will likely occur, like smoother polygons and whatnot. The goal would presumably be to share with existing Miis but look just a bit sharper.

Miis are fantastic for family gameplay, so I'm sure they want to bring it all along for the Wii U. I just hope they'll have a Wii-Sports-like experience at launch to back it all up and sell the concept of the system.

Rapadash6

Rapadash6 said:

Meh. Mii's are fine as they are. What I like about them is the simple clean design and compared to Sony's Home uncanny valley characters and Microsofts downright goofy looking avitars, Mii's are much more pleasing asthetically in my opinion. Special clothes, hats and accessories are overkill for what should just be a simple digital avitar of ones self. I would like to see, however, the option to customize the menu interface of Wii U. Something even as simple as the option to place a wallpaper would suffice.

The_Fox

The_Fox said:

I'd prefer the a system like the avatars on the 360. Not only does it offer more customization but it allows you to unlock new stuff in various titles, which is always a neat bonus.

Bassman_Q

Bassman_Q said:

Mully. <- This guy is right. WE NEED CLOTHING OPTIONS!!!111 I do not want the Mii's to have the same type of disproportionally round shirt w/ long sleeves. It looks ugly, and so do the pants.

warioswoods

warioswoods said:

@19

Ew... 360 avatars are just plain ugly. I feel like it's the evolution of the MS Office paperclip-man: an attempt to be cute that clearly comes from a team without a design background. The Miis could certainly use some updating, but I hope they don't look at the 360 for inspiration.

LordJumpMad

LordJumpMad said:

"I'd like just a little more customization with them, not too terribly much, but clothes, more hair colors and styles would be nice." -Mully
Amazing!
why haven't anyone come up with this idea!
No wait, it already been done.

Skotski

Skotski said:

I just want them to have more purpose...
...what I'm saying is I want a Mii RPG (and not the one on the Mii Plaza, though that was cute). :P

Sylverstone

Sylverstone said:

Let's give the Miis more customization, and also the facial recognition for Mii creation, like on the 3DS.

JebbyDeringer

JebbyDeringer said:

I hate Mii's they look horrible. The cartoon look is fine I just hate the body shapes and low res painted on face.

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

I agree with TeeJay who agrees with Mully. I'm joining the Mully Fanclub... Shame on you LordJumpMad for hating on him! LOL :D

grumblebuzzz

grumblebuzzz said:

Wow. I somehow became the star of this thread just by suggesting that Miis be able to wear Mario tee shirts and have mohawks. Who'd have thunk?! XD

grumblebuzzz

grumblebuzzz said:

And @ LordJumpMad, yes, it's been done, but it hasn't been done by Nintendo. If we are to believe that WiiU is about creating a customized gaming experience designed for both "We" and "You", I don't think having a few more options when creating avatars would hurt anything, unoriginal an idea as it might be.

Chris720

Chris720 said:

@16 Oh you funny, funny man. :3

Basically what Mully said, more customization options would be gladly welcome, unlocking new outfits, hats etc.

To be honest, I don't know why they didn't do this with the 3DS, especially with the whole StreetPass and SpotPass stuff going on, they could've easily released special outfits/hair designs for the holidays.

Ichiban

Ichiban said:

hmm they'd better add some more customisation features!
Ive never been able to create a mii that actually looks like.....me lol
No more lego man hairdo's please!

timp29

timp29 said:

The quote in the article leads me to believe that the Wii U is so early in development, that they haven't even implemented Miis in it yet.
But if they make twilight princess in HD, I don't care if the Miis all look like smashed crabs, I will be playing that until my thumbs bleed.

DarkLloyd

DarkLloyd said:

at least it will be used in super mario bros. Mii

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :P

The_Fox

The_Fox said:

@Warioswoods:
While I honestly feel the Miis and avatars are about equally ugly (for different reasons), I was more referring to the hope that they'd take the cues on customization.

motang

motang said:

Well it would be cool if I can just import them from Wii and the 3DS.

komicturtle

komicturtle said:

As TheFox says, expand on the features.

But keep at the same type, keep the basis the same. Mii's are supposed to be and are characatures and are not supposed to look like you in terms of being realistic.

In my opinion, Miis are much more charming than avatars. But realistically, with avatars, you do have more customization options that Miis should adopt- just don't lose the charm, please...

grumblebuzzz

grumblebuzzz said:

Jeez, you guys. LOL. I don't know whether to be excited about all this praise or to crawl into my hole and cower. ._.

moosa

moosa said:

Mully, the time is right. Destiny is calling. It's time to run for President of the United States of America.

chiptoon

chiptoon said:

Wait - so they've made a console with the ground breaking new feature of a tablet-like touch screen, promoted its capability as a drawing tablet, but won't be implementing the myriad of customisation opportunities that are now open to them. What?

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

I think the improved Mii creation engine on 3DS is perfect. Many more options all around. By using the same system on the Wii-U, it will be possible to seamlessly transfer Miis back and forth between both consoles. At long last, red-headed Miis are not an issue anymore. However, I do believe that it would be nice to have a few extra wardrobe options for the Wii-U, such as costumes and such. Like a polka-dot dress or Mario's overalls. Think of what Media Molecule did with Sackboy in Little Big Planet. Transfer to the 3DS would still be possible sans the wardrobe enhancements. Perhaps there could be exclusive costumes made available to people who have played specific Wii-U titles.

Pod

Pod said:

Miis are definitely cuter and more fun that Xbox Avatars and Home personas.

I think it makes sense to stick with the same options as provided in 3DS, so the two can work together better.

Bacon_Gal_Blaze

Bacon_Gal_Blaze said:

'Obviously Not 3D though....'

I've just had a great idea! Nintendo should make a 3D TV with a depth slider on the side for use with the Wii U :-)

Ichabod

Ichabod said:

I'm really surprised that Nintendo never cashed in on a Mii expansion pack through the Shop Channel in the past. Maybe, they'll actually get their game together and offer something this time around.

Spoony

Spoony said:

I like the Mii's the way they are. Clothes? Psh, please, that would be lame. Nuff said.

shoopdawoop70

shoopdawoop70 said:

I'm hoping they stay the same so I can trade Miis to and from my Wii U. I dislike that I can't send 3DS Miis to my Wii.

Milkman-123

Milkman-123 said:

i am not even waqsting my money 4 a wii-U. im getting some 3DS games. BUTT, I DO AGREE WITH MULLY. he's prbobly a really smart person in real life :)

Milkman-123

Milkman-123 said:

@3DSneedsRPGs

nintendo cant make it 3D because it has 1 screen and it is a touch screen. 3D+touch screen do NOT go good on one screen. BELIEVE ME. i would know... cuz :
1.)im awesome so you need to believe me
2.)i really dont know why 3d and a touch screen dont go together. Miyamoto was nerd talking at a meeting and i was lost until he said " or in other words, 3d and touch screen dont work together well..."

rjejr

rjejr said:

It would make sense to leave the Mii's mostly as they are since you can move your Miis via Wiimote (I've done this with my Wii Mii's onto several other family member Wiis) and the Wiimotes will work with the WiiU so just transfer them over. Of course the Wiimotes only handle 10 at a time but I'ld still like to keep my families Miis we've had for the past 4 years.

hydeks

hydeks said:

sigh the more I hear about the next system, the more I think I should have bought a Playstation 3 :(

DrDaisy

DrDaisy said:

It's almost like Nintendo wants to keep the kiddie image with this Fisher-Price design. There should at least be some damn clothes options! The choice of gender being a dress or pants is extremely stupid!

SkywardLink98

SkywardLink98 said:

Some new options would be nice, but they'd need to be compatible with the 3DS.
@49. I sure hope they add expansions, that would be cool.

DrDaisy

DrDaisy said:

Mully? I see a lot of replies and references to Mully, but no user by that name.
...
Okay, I checked and it looks like Mully is grumblebuzzz. How can I change my user name?
And why do some of the posts appear twice?