Looks Like That Red 3DS is Releasing in Japan

Posted by Jon Wahlgren

Score one for late adopters

Underwhelmed by the shimmery Aqua Blue and Cosmo Black launch colors of the 3DS? Perhaps you were holding out for a handheld with a little more fire on the outside?

Nintendo is set to kill two of your birds with one color by making official the new 3DS colour dubbed Flare Red. The new colour will launch in Japan on 14th July alongside the ludicrously suffixed Star Fox 64 3D, handily addressing the 12th reason for why Japan has held out on buying a 3DS yet.

There are no announced plans to release it elsewhere yet, but we would be shocked and awed if it wasn't in your territory by the end of the year.

[via andriasang.com]

Xiao_Pai

Xiao_Pai said:

...Well, I mean I kinda saw this coming....but....FFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU- internet connection dies out

Samholy

Samholy said:

this should have been a launch color, really. its based on the logo itself.
they should have launched a trio

then launch another trio, green, purple and platinum.
i remember that good ol gameboy color. the selection was huge, you just didnt knew which one to pick !

Kit

Kit said:

That's it! Thats the colour I wanted. Oh well I'll just have to sell my black one when the red on is finally released in the UK.

Meta-Rift

Meta-Rift said:

Flare Red looks better than Cosmo Black, but Aqua Blue is still my favorite.

I wish they had purple at launch. D:

WolfRamHeart

WolfRamHeart said:

I'll probably pick up a 3DS again when this color comes out here just as long as it is accompanied by a $50 price drop.;)

zeeroid

zeeroid said:

jealousy... rising...

My DS Lite is the "Enamel Navy" one exclusive to Japan, which I imported for quite a premium. Too bad about that region-locking, eh.

Odnetnin

Odnetnin said:

This would've been my second choice after yellow had the two colors been available at launch.

Traxx

Traxx said:

Just looking at the picture, red 3DS totally "makes sense" from a designer's view.

I bet it will be at least bundled with one of the mario games in US and Europe.

nmozdzier

nmozdzier said:

See, red is my favorite color, but I would never get a red 3DS, as it makes it look too much like a toy, the black makes it look fancy and expensive.

Despair1087

Despair1087 said:

>.< red is my favorite color!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but i already bought a black one at launch cries

if i buy the red one when it comes out i'll have two. then i'll probably be the coolest dude in the world. do want.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

Hmmmm personal I would perfer a white one but the red is nice too. Now I just dont know what color I want to get when I get one.

Teh-Ray

Teh-Ray said:

So, basically....

Early adopters really got shafted this time, didn't they?

TheAmazingRaccoon

TheAmazingRaccoon said:

yellow is my favorite and black my second, which pretty much sums up the priority of colors with me. Red just isn't my bag, baby

Burning_Spear

Burning_Spear said:

" ... handily addressing the 12th reason for why Japan has held out on buying a 3DS yet."

Hilarious. I had forgotten all about that!

Wheels2050

Wheels2050 said:

@Teh-Ray: It happens all the time with consoles, etc. (I think iPads were the same). New colours get released later on to draw in new customers, which is bad luck if current owners want one of the new colours.

I want to see that purple on I've seen some photos of come out. That looked great!

TeeJay

TeeJay said:

Eh. I still love my Cosmo Black one. Couldn't be happier with the color.

wanderlustwarrior

wanderlustwarrior said:

Has it ever been a good idea to adopt early? I wait until all the kinks are known.

Red does look nice, but I prefer black.

JimmyWhale

JimmyWhale said:

Frankly, I want my transparent colors back (like the ones used for N64 and GBC/GBA). Those were way too cool for school. I want one of every controller ever made in Atomic Purple.

Expa0

Expa0 said:

That´s the one colour I would´ve like to have the most. I went and bought the blue one. Should´ve bought the black one instead, since the blue turned out to be quite hideous in live.

NassaDane

NassaDane said:

This is one of the things keeping me from buying a 3DS, just hope it comes to the West, or i might never get one. Also I was afraid of the Red 3DS having that terrible looking Black top screen. That completely defeats the purpose of having a Red one. Half the time you will be looking at Black! Just because it helps with the "3D", not for me, I want a Red 3DS that is Red. But it'll have to do.

GamerZack87

GamerZack87 said:

@Flameking1087: You're too late about being the coolest dude for having two 3DS consoles, because I already made plans to get a second console once additional colours became available (I'm sorry, Cosmos Black, but you're just not working for me...Aqua Blue and 'Flare Red' FTW!!) :D

JayceJa

JayceJa said:

still gonna hold out for purple, but me and my brother both want a 3ds eventually, so we can share the color of his choice until it comes out, or if it unfortunately is revealed to not actually be coming out

chiptoon

chiptoon said:

I find the colour on the hinge a bit annoying so close to the screens. I wish the colour was just on the shell, and the inner faces, hinge include were all black. Which is why Igo tthe black one.

Kimiko

Kimiko said:

I hope the purple/lilac one will be released before I have to buy a 3DS. That's my favorite color of the ones shown last year.

JimLad

JimLad said:

This news made me rejoice, and then immediately remember that the 3DS is region locked. >:{

Dodger

Dodger said:

I must admit, I like this color better but I'm not paying for it when I have a blue one that I like. I plan to keep my blue 3DS until it breaks.

ToastyYogurt

ToastyYogurt said:

/me reads @zeldaman's comment.
/me wonders why people ask questions of "when" when the when hasn't been announced. (Let alone that there /will/ be a green 3DS.

motang

motang said:

They are so lucky, I wanted the red one, but opted to the black we can't get the red one here.