E3 2010: Donkey Kong Country Returns This Fall

Posted by Reed Kalso

Retro revival on horizon for DK (updated with trailer)

Nintendo's E3 conference proved last weekend's rumours true, as viewers saw a trailer for a Retro Studios-developed DK game. Donkey Kong Country Returns for Wii looks to be a sidescrolling affair in the style of Donkey Kong Jungle Beat or New Super Mario Bros. Wii. As the name suggests, Retro has taken inspiration from Rare’s contributions to the DK franchise, with jungles, mine cart rides, Diddy Kong, barrel-blasting and banana-collecting, with DK showing off a few more varied fighting abilities, similar to Jungle Beat.

Retro Studios is already known for its take on another classic Nintendo franchise, the Metroid Prime trilogy. The company did its homework with the Metroid series, which like Donkey Kong Country, is full of atmospheric soundtracks and environments. The game is slated for a Fall release.

Rejoice: DK is back to kick some tail.

[via e3.nintendo.com]

NSBlueLighing

NSBlueLighing said:

i cant play this game cause i will be broke and my electricity will get turned off :p

To many games this year to buy

V8_Ninja

V8_Ninja said:

So they're using the titling method of putting a word that starts with an "R" after the title of the game? :P

For real, the game looks good. I'm just not interested.

Knux

Knux said:

SWEET!! I never thought this would happen, but I was wrong!! Day one purchase for me! :D

madgear

madgear said:

Haha remember when the original Donkey Kong country was first shown and people thought it was a 32-bit 3D game from Nintendo's next console? I guess now it really is a real 3D game - it's like we saw 15 years into the future back then.

JebbyDeringer

JebbyDeringer said:

Very cool but like past 3D retro recrations of this generation it seems to lack atmosphere. NSMBW had the same problem. The graphics are just too clean and everything is too well defined. A couple of the shots look cool though. It's a bit too early to tell but the game has a lot of potential.

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

We really need a new Donkey Kong game that's not based on gimmicky peripherals (Bongo drums). The entire GameCube generation went by without a single platform game that didn't rely gimmicky Bongo Drums (Jungle Beat). And you could say that the lackluster racing game and subsequent rerelease of Jungle Beat emulated those same gameplay mechanics.

DK King of Swing was an excellent charming DS platform romp, but it's time for DK to return to the big screen. If it's anything like Warioland: Shake it!, then it'll definitely be good :D

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

It looks like donkey kong will get an awesome return to form, I'm sure retro will be able to pull this off.

Deviant_Mugen

Deviant_Mugen said:

Retro is going to take yet another Nintendo franchise and completely blow us out of the water; I can't wait!

Kobayashi

Kobayashi said:

Yeah ! Fantastic News !
I like Donkey Kong Country series very much and this is a renascence to the series.

Thank you, Retro/Nintendo !

HappyHappy

HappyHappy said:

I am really looking forward to playing this game. I thought that no one would ever make another DKC game, this is really a dream come true.

dan674

dan674 said:

the graphics seem to look worse than DK's brawl levels (which looked awesome)

greenellow

greenellow said:

Ha! The Rumours were true let's see the score
rumours-1 actuality-1,843,249,674,849,102..and counting

_mikero_

_mikero_ said:

Looks awesome.

Aside from Zelda, this is probably my most anticipated E3 game.

fishman100

fishman100 said:

the names for all of the games seem really lame right now, but it'll all make sense in good time.

Zyzzybalubah

Zyzzybalubah said:

This is a breath of fresh air for those of us who played all the dk country games and skipped over those horrible "sequels" in between. When this first was shown at the press conference, I think I might have shed a tear.

Fuzzy

Fuzzy said:

Really excited for this. Hopefully it retains some of the character of the old games, and throws in some new stuff.

EDIT: Just wondering, do Rare have the rights to the enemies in the old games or do Nintendo?

Golgo

Golgo said:

Top marks to the NintendoLife crew for their E3 coverage. It's been superb, especially the new easy-to-navigate banner on the frontpage.

DK looks great, but hope they've got a more forgiving save system this time though. No more having to save coins to 'buy' saves, please! And no more having to complete 2 or more levels after beating a boss to find a save point, either!

Pj1

Pj1 said:

WOW!!! DKC looks amazing, I wonder if Shigeru Miyamoto would let them touch Mario, they could do another 'New Super Mario bros' title, they could even do a re-make of Super Mario 64 it would look good. Oh, wait I'm dreaming.... Shigeru Miyamoto could allow them to do some thing with Mario though. Also I would like DKC to be played with Classic controller, PLEASE NINTENDO...

Pj1

Pj1 said:

Oh I've had to watch the trailer three times to believe it!

rjejr

rjejr said:

I missed the rumour on this so wasn't expecting it at all, but I can't help but wonder how it's going to control. I think I'm in the minority here on actually liking DK:JB and the bongos, and was bummed they took the bongos out of Barrel Blast, but I wonder if this will control like a normal sidescroller or will we be wailing our hands around like a maracas game to move left, right and jump. Don't get me wrong, I like options and they can put in as many as they want like SSBB, just don't make me choose wailing.

she_gamer

she_gamer said:

This was the first game in Nintendo's press conference that made me hop around in my seat. AND I couldn't even share my excitement with anyone cause nobody loved DKC the way I did... sniff. Merci Nintendo!!

miletich3

miletich3 said:

I'm happy when Retro Studios decides to revive the glory of Donkey Kong Country and bring it to the Wii.

OldBoy

OldBoy said:

Seriously I'm gonna have to rob a bank to afford all these amazing games being announced!! I hope they spread the release dates a bit. This game looks fantastic.Love the art style.

Haydengamer

Haydengamer said:

OH RIGHT DONKEY KONG BACK IN THE CLASSIC GAMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would like to get that for my birthday. Man I remeber when I played donkey kong country on the GBA when I played it again I liked the final boss battle. The second part of it was kinda hard but I like beating king k. rool.

Pepe

Pepe said:

Donkey Kong Country was one of my favorite games of all times and this one looks even better!!!