New Super Mario Bros. Wii Packaging Is All Kinds Of Awesome

Posted by Damien McFerran

Paint the town red with Mario's latest adventure

We don't have our press copy of New Super Mario Bros. Wii yet, but those lucky chaps over at Kotaku do - and they've taken some photos of the packaging to tease us with.

Normally we wouldn't report on something as banal as this but the fact is the case for NSMB Wii looks fantastic. It's made of red instead of white plastic, so it's sure to stand out when placed alongside other games in your collection.

Check out the other photos here.

What can we say? We're easily pleased.

[via kotaku.com]

Stevie

Stevie said:

I am also easily pleased, this is awesome. Bring it on !!!!!!

Just pre-ordered from Game for £34.99 with the awesome money tin.

Philip_J_ReedStaff

Philip_J_Reed said:

It'd be nice to have a green variant cover for Luigi fans, but that'd probably infringe unofficially on peoples' Xbox library.

Ah well.

Roopa132

Roopa132 said:

Meh. I care as much about different colored packaging as I do about different colored consoles (Black Wii).

drdark

drdark said:

You know, that disc label is so cool, it almost made me buy the game now. But I think I'll wait. Got too much else to play. The Wii has sooo many good games on it (and no I'm not being sarcastic).

Noire

Noire said:

Mmmmmm, I love it I love it I love it! Mwahahaha, it's so pretty...

V8_Ninja

V8_Ninja said:

"All Kinds of Awesome" is right! Can't wait until Christmas, when I'll actually get the game! :)

Sneaker13

Sneaker13 said:

The more I see and hear about the game, the more I want it know. I originally would buy it for Christmas, but I'm seriously considering getting it on day 1.

SuperMarioFan1995

SuperMarioFan1995 said:

Still wanting to get the game. Haven't pre-orded it. But I'm just waiting till the release of the day. Then buy it.

It's going to be fantastic!

super-nintendo

super-nintendo said:

I have held in my real excitement for this game for too long, and now I'm letting the world know! Woooooooot-wooooo-hooooooooo! I love Mari-OOOOO! It's-A-Me-Mariooo! :)

Got my NES Christmas 1989! :)

:p:):p:):p:) 1up!

Yosher

Yosher said:

And then to think everybody hated the box-art when it was first shown. Now everybody loves it, and so do I. I don't care about the red block down there- since the entire thing is red, it only fits better!

Egg_miester

Egg_miester said:

nice cd but it still ont make me get the game on day one
but why the hell would kotaku place it next to astro boy and family feud thats jut not cool

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

Thus Nintendo continues to use full-colour discs (third parties had to start a few months ago).

It is odd, I find that the full colour discs feel cheaper (like a pirated game label) than the old monotone discs (which most people feel cheap due to only being a couple of colours) which I feel can be more stylised.

The artwork is still nice though. As for the game...I'm hoping for MW2 style price arms wars but that probably won't happen so I'll just settle with Muramasa, Klonoa and A Boy and His Blob for my 2D needs...

Objection

Objection said:

I also kind of liked the monotone discs but I definately like all that red. Very nice, I can wait for this game to be in my grubby hands.

JakobG

JakobG said:

I'll get it at 4.12., my birthday.
Can't wait to play this, it will be epic!

Rhansley64

Rhansley64 said:

Game of the Year, Boxart of the Year and now Disc layout of the Year this game impress me every time i see it.

rhythmheavenfan

rhythmheavenfan said:

I'm actually not that excited for this one. I wish that it was a single player game, like the first one. Loved that one. I wish they would have made something like New Super Mario Bros. 3 for the Wii or DS or something like that. Now that, I think would be AWESOME!

suburban_sensei

suburban_sensei said:

I'm so glad my copy is pre-ordered and paid off...can't wait for Sunday morning to come! Even thought I don't really care what color a case is, I love that this game will stand out in my collection.

TKOWL

TKOWL said:

Glad Nintendo is doing something new with their Wii boxes along with Metroid Prime Trilogy

thebigM

thebigM said:

9 more days here. Can't wait.
@rhythmheavenfan: why do you think this is no single player game? I think it will be great fun for both single and multi player.

Big_A2

Big_A2 said:

I have no idea why we here in Australia are getting it before anyone else... Perhaps the Nintendo Of Australia director bought Iwata lunch?

imapterodactyl

imapterodactyl said:

@rhythmheavenfan:

This IS a single player game. It's capable of zooming out quite a bit, allowing for some chaotic multiplayer fun, but largely it's just as much of a single player game as SMB1, 2, 3, World, and Yoshi's Island. The multiplayer is great fun (although a bit overly chaotic with 4 players on the screen at once), but definitely designed around an extremely solid single player experience. They haven't made the game easy either, which was my biggest fear. The challenge is rock solid.

TheAmazingRaccoon

TheAmazingRaccoon said:

got my copy today. For once it pays to be on the Australian release schedule. I hope this happens more often in the future.

Viper6391

Viper6391 said:

This game is going to be awesome and for once Nintendo is actually advertising! I saw an advertisement for the game at the Movies when I went to see "This is It". Although, Nintendo usually advertises the crap out of Mario games, but it's well worth it. Definitely getting it for Christmas, and the 4 player co-op is going to be awesome!

ToneDeath

ToneDeath said:

That's cool. I was actually a tiny bit disappointed they didn't do something like this for Galaxy's packaging, after Sunshine came in a purple case. A green 'Luigi edition' would have been nice too (Useless fact: Luigi is my middle name, no kidding). Also, instead of two Toads, it would've been nice to play as Peach, if only as a nod to SMB2, though you never know what secrets are hidden in there...
@Chicken Brutus: You're dead right.
@Gavin Rozee: I didn't know about that; mine was just in the standard black case. I guess these coloured cases must be a limited time thing, like gold Zelda cartridges.

Big_A2

Big_A2 said:

I can't play my copy until Sunday anyway for a reason I can't make public...

Nathan

Nathan said:

Yes it is all kinds of awesome. Picked it up today after work, have yet to actually play it, but read the manual and oogled the disc. Thumbs up!

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

@dimlylitmonkey: I never heard of the red Double Dash box OR this purple Sunshine box! What the heck?

Am I the ONLY one here who doesn't like red plastic boxes? I find it quite unattractive on Greatest Hits PS3 games, and it's not really any better on NSMBW. It's gonna stick out like a sore thumb on my shelf, and NOT in a good way. All the same...I guess I'll get used to it, and the game'll be awesome enough I probably won't care for long.:P

said:

The only Mario games I really like are Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario RPG, Super Mario 64, and Paper Mario. Other than that, none of them really impress me, so I'll most likely pass on this one.

sonic_brawler95

sonic_brawler95 said:

It comes out on my birthday, I'm either gonna buy it with my birthday money (if I have enough) or just wait for Christmas. Oh, and, ITS GONNA BE AWESOME I CAN FEEEEEEEL IT!!! XD

Feld0

Feld0 said:

Sweet! The disc is designed with more than three colours for once!

Timwario

Timwario said:

@Badknux Then don't bother commenting on here, this game looks amazing like SMG. I don't care if anyone else thinks otherwise.

rhythmheavenfan

rhythmheavenfan said:

@imapterodactyl:
The reason I say this is a multiplayer game is because the media hypes up all the multiplayer. They basically haven't commented on the single player at all. You can't deny that. To me it seems like a multiplayer game for the most part.

@thebigM:
Same response as above.

Belgicario

Belgicario said:

Woah! Too much red! :)
Finally, another color than white! Is this the first time they did another color?

DarkG

DarkG said:

Sadly, local stores didn't get the game on time for sale, it won't arrive until tomorrow (today's a holiday...) so my NSMBW t-shirt and game won't be on my hands until tomorrow after class... oh well, I spent 2 hours yesterday playing the game at the store lol, I'm loving it, can't wait until I pick it up.

Taco_Human

Taco_Human said:

What? Nintendo using more than one color on the disc art? Maybe my dreams are coming true.