Captain Lou Albano Passes Away

Posted by Marcel van Duyn

One of the greatest Mario actors there ever was has passed away.

This year's already had a lot of crazy celebrity deaths, but the person we lost today will probably hit the hardest for any Nintendo fan - Captain Lou Albano, who played the live-action version of Mario in The Super Mario Bros. Super Show and also provided Mario's voice for the cartoon segments, died earlier today.

With his crazy hair, deep voice and wild gestures, his portrayal of Mario was always a fan-favourite. In the opinion of some, he was even better at the role than Nintendo mainstay Charles Martinet, but sadly, after the Super Show, he never played Mario again.

Of course, the Super Show might not even be the only thing you know him from - he became famous as both a wrestler and a wrestling manager, and appeared in many of Cyndi Lauper's video clips, usually as her dad. He also made a ton of guest appearances on other shows.

Captain Lou was 76 years old. Our condolences go out to his family members and friends.

Jeroen1

Jeroen1 said:

I was just listening to MJ's new single. I also think Albano's performance was more endearing than Martinet's.

Philip_J_ReedStaff

Philip_J_Reed said:

I loved him in that show. Granted, it was 20 years ago or whatever...but he brought a lot of joy into my childhood.

Good night, sweet prince.

MrPinguy

MrPinguy said:

I loved his Mario's shorts before and after the show as a kid.
R.I.P. Lou.

warioswoods

warioswoods said:

He was such a benevolent fellow for a children's show, like the best parts of Mario, Mr. Rogers, and Santa Claus combined.

AVahne

AVahne said:

first MJ and now Lou? someone's got to be behind all these celebrity deaths

Roebuck

Roebuck said:

Does that mean we're only left with the Bob Hoskins Mario?! Lou was the best Mario. I also remember him from the Cyndi Lauper videos as her dad. He'll be missed

V8_Ninja

V8_Ninja said:

Never liked the cartoon SMB series, but they couldn't have better cast Mario than with Lou. Even though he was in a suck-tastic cartoon series, he will be remembered as the mustached wrestler.

& @Koto I'm pretty sure that it's the Nintendo Ninjas. like I said on another thread, they're trying to make sure that only Nintendo exists in this world. But it makes no sense why they would kill a comrade...

SmaMan

SmaMan said:

I think all of us here at NL should do the Mario tomorrow in his honor...

...and do the cliche' 2009 thing and take clips and edit them into one YouTube video!
No, I'm serious! Who's interested? I'll happily do the editing.

Sylverstone

Sylverstone said:

Great wrestler, greatest live-action Mario ever.

R.I.P. Captain.... (FALCON PAWNCH salute..:()

Devil_Hunter_Dante

Devil_Hunter_Dante said:

I think they should put the Mario Show episodes up on the Nintendo Channel so we can relive some of Captain Lou's legacy.

Sean007s

Sean007s said:

The Super Mario cartoons were brillant....i always loved how they had the music and sound effects from the Mario games..

Anyway i loved the Super Show.

RIP dude..

Vua

Vua said:

Lou was the best live-action Mario. I think I'll go watch an episode of the The Super Mario Bros. Super Show in his honor and do the Mario.

DarkEdi

DarkEdi said:

I´m surprised by this note. We´ll miss you Captain Albano.

Now i´m thinking if he was inspiration for a Mario wrestler and later came Smash Bros. :)

Earendel68

Earendel68 said:

I saw this show so many times when I was a kid. You did great as Mario, Captain Albano. I'm sure we'll miss you. R. I. P.

timp29

timp29 said:

Heheh has anyone seen that youtube clip where it sounds like he says 'eff you luigi' on the mario bros show?

Darknyht

Darknyht said:

I remember watching the show in hopes of a Zelda cartoon as a kid, but the live segments were at least mildly entertaining (at least a for Nintendo crazed kid). He was the best because he was the original.

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

Luigi was played by Danny Wells.

I didn't watch the show as a kid of course, (I'd barely been born when it aired!) but I have since seen it all on DVD. He was a great Mario, and shall indeed be missed. :(

Ryuuga

Ryuuga said:

@44: It was cheesy at some times, but it didn't sucked, it was awesome and left nice memories.

Rest in Peace, Lou! We'll miss you...

Metang

Metang said:

R.I.P, Lou. He was better than Charles Martinet by a long shot.
@Koto: Not just MJ and Lou. David Carradine, Farrah Fawcett, Ed McMahon, and Billy Mays, too. Out of those six, Lou was the only one who didn't die this summer.

Danglybits

Danglybits said:

R.I.P Lou
as a Wrestler and a Nintendo fan this is very sad, both world have lost a true legend, I miss his work the 1st time but i love to watch the repeats if not for help in wrestling just for the all round entertainment.
I think i will go buy the DVD of the super mario show in his honor

Chunky_Droid

Chunky_Droid said:

I have Super Mario Bros. 3 and World on DVD here, it's awesomely bad. But in a good way! I also have all the eps from the Super Show taped from the TV somewhere at my nan's place.

You gave me so many fond memories Lou, from both a Mario fan and as a wrestling fan :)