Nintendo Download: Phantasy Star, Flipnote Studio, Sujin Taisen, Rattle Battle and Slot Car Racing (EU)

Posted by Marcel van Duyn

2 DSiWare and WiiWare games, and one Virtual Console game.

For the first time in quite a while, this week brings us two new DSiWare games. Today's other new releases aren't exactly surprising!

For DSiWare, there's the previously announced Flipnote Studio, a nifty application which lets you draw your very own animations, which you can then fine-tune in various ways before uploading them to a special site and showing them off to others all over the world. The best part about this is that the app is completely free! Out of nowhere, it was suddenly released in North America yesterday, so we're in the process of reviewing it.

Sujin Taisen Number Battles is a bit of a strange pick, as it's pretty much another "A Little Bit of" package, except this time based on a DS game not released outside of Japan! The game is apparently a little bit like dominos - You must attempt to place tiles next to tiles with the same number on them. Those who have played it say it's quite a good little puzzler, so we're pretty curious to see what it's like. Best of all - Unlike any of Nintendo's "A Little Bit of" games, this one actually still has Wi-Fi multiplayer! We'll review it soon. It'll cost you 500 DSi Points.

For WiiWare, there's Family Slot Car Racing, another game in Aksys Games's "Family" series. Strangely, this means Family Pirate Party is being skipped now, but as that wasn't exactly too good it doesn't really matter! This particular game features, as the title reveals, slot car racing - Not too exciting, but as always, we hope the series has finally gotten a good game. It'll be reviewed soon. It'll cost 500 Wii Points, like all other games in the series.

WiiWare also gets 3-2-1, Rattle Battle! by Tecmo. Previously released in Japan under a different title, this is a collection of 12 minigames heavily reliant on motion controls. As if we didn't already have enough of those! We'll figure out its mysteries when it's released and will have a review up soon after. It'll also cost you 500 Wii Points.

The Virtual Console gets yet another Sega game - Phantasy Star is the first game in the popular RPG series. It's about time, because the other three retro installments are all already available! As it's the first game in the series, it's slightly dated and difficult to get into - But hardcore RPG fans will definitely get a nostalgic kick out of it. As with all Master System games, it'll cost 500 Wii Points.

That's it for this week! Will you be taking the plunge on any of the titles we know little about, will you stick with the well-known Phantasy Star or will you spend absolutely nothing and just get Flippote Studio?

[via officialnintendomagazine.co.uk]

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

Glad to see the original Phantasy Star finally on the VC. It's about time! :)

Rapadash6

Rapadash6 said:

Phantasy Star? After August Nintendo has a lot of catching up to do in America. Let's see; Phantasy Star, Altered Beast, Revenge of Shinobi, SMASH FREAKING BROS!! Congrats to you guys though for what seems like a pretty good update.

Egg_miester

Egg_miester said:

very lucky for phantasy star 1 can't wait for it to hit na thats the only one i haven't got a chance to play yet

Djungelurban

Djungelurban said:

Can't believe Family Mini Golf hasn't been released yet... Haven't they noticed how Fun Fun has cleaned up all over Europe? Not that I want it, but it sure is weird...

Metang

Metang said:

Anyway, as good update for Europeans. You guys finally got Flipnote and Phantasy Star! WiiWare looks very meh today.

Terra

Terra said:

Outside Flipnote Studios, Which I'd get anyway as it's free, I'm interested in Sujin Taisen: Number Battles the most, looks very interesting and I do have a spare 500 points for the DSi.

As for the others, it's great to see the original Phantasy Star on the VC but I'll pass, seeing that I can get the Phantasy Star Quadrilogy with the Ultimate Mega Drive Collection, which I plan to get soon. Family Slot Car Racing is one I don't exactly have high hopes for considering the Family Series Track record but the last one wasn't too bad so I'm not fully judging it just yet. As for 3-2-1 Rattle Battle!, I'm not sure what to think of it right now but more minigames somehow doesn't appeal to me. Coming from Tecmo though, for 500 points, I have some hope in the game

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

Well, my 2300 points are safe. If my seeds turn up (no doubt delayed due to striking postal workers) I'll get Bonsai Barber!

KDR_11k

KDR_11k said:

Hm, doesn't look terribly interesting. We'll see what happens but there sure is a lot of WiiWare the PAL region has to catch up on.

Metang

Metang said:

@Terranigma: Yeah, I take that comment back. The PAL region VC games (save TG16) run in 50hz and have those huge black borders.

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

Potentially poor update besides flipnote. I'll wait for the 3-2-1 and the dsiware game review to be fair. From the youtube footage, 3-2-1 doesn't look like anything special.

So yet again I find myself looking to next week. Ah well.

Ryuuga

Ryuuga said:

Original Phantasy Star alone make this week an instant win for Europe!

Machu

Machu said:

Excellent thank you! :) I'm gonna be there waiting, salivating. Then I'll get a cloth, wipe the DSi off, and start doodling. :D

Giggsy

Giggsy said:

Phantasy Star arriving marks the completion of one hell of an RPG series. Great stuff.

Knux

Knux said:

The original Phantasy Star is on the European VC, let's hope it comes to the American VC! :)

KnucklesSonic8

KnucklesSonic8 said:

Guys, Slot Car Racing is absolutely terrible and should be avoided. I feel sorry for you guys that you got it first. Pirate Party and Mini Golf are the best ones. And it's great to see Rattle Battle finally come to a region although I figured we would get it first. Congrats on getting Phantasy Star also.

Kelvin

Kelvin said:

Wow, I'm surprised that so many are overlooking Phantasy Star! It's a great game!

KDR_11k

KDR_11k said:

Guys, Slot Car Racing is absolutely terrible and should be avoided.

You make it sound like a surprise. This is the Family series of games, nothing less is expected from them.

Don

Don said:

Nice VC game today! I hope Phantasy Star will come to NA soon so I can complete my collection.

legochesser

legochesser said:

Fantastic release this week, this is one I've been waiting on since the last 2 a 3 weeks!

Go Nintendo!

Ristar42

Ristar42 said:

Another week and nothing for me... Where are the arcade games, where is Star wars, or some decent Wii Ware even, and why don't they fix last C64 Last Ninja 3!? Master System Phantasy Star - cool but, I assume - 50hz PAL version...

Machu

Machu said:

This Flipnote's extra cool. Now I just need to get to grips with the tools at hand, oh, and the fact I can't draw. Ug!

Objection

Objection said:

Pretty decent EU update, really. PS1 has been a long time coming and of course, everyone with a DSi likely wants FNS.

Omega

Omega said:

Yes, Sneaker13 (#38), I'm also wondering where LIT is. When I asked Wayforward in may per e-mail they answered:
"We're putting the final touches on it and expect it to be available early this summer."
So, where is it? Bring it out finally. I want it and I'm impatient. :-)
Anyway, in the meantime "Phantasy Star" might interest me. I always wanted to have a Sega Master System but never had one.

Nathan

Nathan said:

I'm still waiting for Pilotwings games. Or HSV (Beetle) Adventure Racing.

Pj1

Pj1 said:

@ Nathan I'm waiting for the Pilot Wings and Super Mario Kart games!

Still Loving the VC though...