Link, Zelda, and Lana Show Their Moves in New Hyrule Warriors Trailers

Posted by Alex Olney

Faron PUNCH

Another day, another recommended daily allowance of Hyrule Warriors goodness to be taken with meals. The folks at Koei Tecmo have given its fans three more videos to gawp at, and with just ten days until the Japanese release and the imminent Nintendo Direct focused entirely on the upcoming title, it would naturally be assumed that new details would be held off until then.

On the contrary, whilst Link and Zelda's videos show little more than previous footage bundled together whilst highlighting their alternative costumes, Lana's video shows off many previously unseen special attacks that she can perform with her Deku Staff. Intriguingly, one of her attacks appears to be water-based, whilst another conjures three ice stalagmites that look as though they've been summoned straight from The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time's Ice Cavern dungeon.

Hype for the game has never been higher, and with the Nintendo Direct video just hours away away, it's possible that we could be seeing a new face or two. So far we've had representatives from many of your favourite Zelda games, so it's anyone's guess what could happen.

Is there anyone missing from the current line up that you'd like to see in the game?

outburst

outburst said:

So 3 costumes each for Link and Zelda. Their weapons are tied to their costumes? Some of the stages looks beautiful. Some are just bland.

ZeroZX_Dev

ZeroZX_Dev said:

@outburst No, they just felt like showing their various weapons off in the DLC costumes.
Any one else bugged by the hair textures on Zelda's TP costume?

Tsurii897

Tsurii897 said:

@outburst nope. You can combine the (4, there's still the Hyrule Warriors designs themselves ;) ) costumes and weaons as you want.

I tell ya...that Lana. I didn't like her too much at first, but everytime they show her in one of the trailers, she's looking better than before. The Deku stick looks amazing.
And the music! Sweet Jesus. Fanservice done right! Good work, Tecmo

TheJebou

TheJebou said:

I don't know why, but it bugs me surprisingly much seeing skyward sword Link left handed. That deku sprout really fits Lana's character

BakaKnight

BakaKnight said:

Ocarina of Time still has too much impact on me, I almost cried seeing the costumes in action, damn nostalgia power ;_;

Anyway awesome trailers and smart idea to give the deku stick to Lana, it fits and give her that zelda's fanservice aura she needed for really feel part of this spin off :D

KHaceattorney

KHaceattorney said:

Personally, Skull Kid would be a neat addition. It covers a MM rep, and he could be a fun character. Though, the moon is already an attack, so I don't know.

rjejr

rjejr said:

Lana seems to be the best to me by far, but that makes sense as TK made her for the game and they make these games for a living. Zelda just looks boring, and Link as a "tank" character seems kind of weird, but of course we'll play him b/c he's Link, and my kids always like the tank characters. What boy doesn't?

So any worry that tonight's ND will just be all of these videos but in English? We've seen a TON of vids for this game but in Japanese. Not that it really matters for a game like this, but english would make it feel like it's really coming.

Tsurii897

Tsurii897 said:

@rjejr don't worry too much about that. There are english versions of the videos on Nintendo's other YouTube channels

Olmectron

Olmectron said:

@sinalefa Maybe they attack Link when he is in sight, so he must defend himself. Much like in Twilight Princess when they don't want strangers to get into Death Mountain? Because they are proud and can resolve their own problems.

torotoid64

torotoid64 said:

@The_Ninja same I think it's because she looks less serious here, am I the only one who noticed OOT link looks HORRIBLE like really now

Mega719

Mega719 said:

I can really compare Lana to an anime female, she's great on field but in reality she's really innocent and a bit absent minded. Like in one of the recent trailers she runs from cuccos as if she's defenseless

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

I like the direct comparison of the costumes. Its amazing how different they actually look when rendered in the same graphical style.

Link506

Link506 said:

I disliked the skyward sword costumes, which is surprising, because those were the ones I was looking forward to the most.

Dogpigfish

Dogpigfish said:

More power to those who like dynasty warriors, but what about the rest of us? What do we get this year; I mean seriously?

Retro_on_theGo

Retro_on_theGo said:

The more I hear about this game the less I care about it. I was excited at first but now I'm definitely skipping it.

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

@Retro_on_theGo Yeah, that sums it up for me too. Those trailers seem so... one-dimensional. The notion that Dynasty Warriors is a huge button-mashing fest (I wouldn't know, never played the series before) gets more credit every day for me. I'll take a look at the reviews before I ultimately make up my mind, but I'm not excited.

DBPirate

DBPirate said:

Kind of wish they were all English but oh well. Too bad I'll have to watch the Direct tomorrow instead of today.

DreamWatcher

DreamWatcher said:

I'd like to see Vaati in HW. He's been in three games already and he could certainly do a lot of damage with his wind manipulation powers and his only-heard-of skills in wielding a blade.

On the forces of good, I'd like to see Nabooru. She would fit right in with Darunia and Ruto, swinging a couple swords like nobody's business.

Leu10antFalcon

Leu10antFalcon said:

@Aqueous If I were you, I'd lowered my expectations. Ever since the Japanese publisher Koei-Tecmo have confirmed that Hyrule Warriors' developing process is now 100% complete and ready for launch, doesn't mean that we'll be seeing other Zelda characters like Skull Kid, Toon Link (too extreme for a rated E-10+ character), Vaati, etc. Don't be disappointed if none of your selected characters aren't in HW. Be grateful that Koei-Tecmo, Omega Force, Team NINJA, and Nintendo SPD for making this game a reality. Nintendo of America and Europe will give us the answers on tonight's Hyrule Warriors Direct at 11:00 pm EDT.

Aqueous

Aqueous said:

@Leu10antFalcon - The Deku I don't really expect but the article asked who we were hoping might be in the line up, Deku is the only mask transformation aside from the Deity that I would suspect the game might have in it (A goron and Zora being present). As for the others I would have expected them long before Agatha. Also game being finished development doesn't mean all the character's are announced or will be.
Now no need to be rude and tell me how I feel or how you assume I feel and tell me what I should feel/be doing. The game is a pleasant and unexpected surprise from Nintendo, let people say who they'd like to see yet without talking down to them.

B3ND3R

B3ND3R said:

I wonder if they'll make Lana costumes to style her in the vein of TP or SS..

Iggly

Iggly said:

I personally love the Skyward Sword Costumes, though would've been nice if they gave Link his Skyward Sword voice for the costume since the Hyrule Warriors voice doesn't really fit his SS outfit.

JellySplat

JellySplat said:

Question: Did Nintendo release any info on the big "Treasure box" edition of the game yet? I want the alarm clock... and the scarf.

Darthziggy

Darthziggy said:

Surprised no one else has picked up, but I have a theory on Lana.
Blue hair, power of the Deku Tree and other spirits perhaps (?)... Could be a play on Lanayru, from Skyward Sword, and she will be a descendent of the Goddesses. I'm looking forward to seeing more info (and playing the game, obviously!).