Ubisoft Confirms Exclusive 3DS Mode for Tetris Ultimate, Along With Online Features

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Challenge modes to test Nintendo gamers

There was, unsurprisingly, irritation when it looked like Ubisoft would be bringing Tetris Ultimate to PS4 and Xbox One but not a Nintendo system — it later emerged during E3 that a version is actually coming to 3DS this Autumn / Fall. The company has 'announced' this version somewhat belatedly today, but has at least confirmed an exclusive set of Challenge modes for the 3DS entry, which looks all set to also include some decent online social and leaderboard features.

Along with the five modes also present on other systems — Marathon, Endless, Ultra, Sprint and Battle — there'll be a set of four Challenge modes. The details below are from the title's fact sheet.

[quote]

• Master — The Tetriminos drop instantly and appear at the bottom.
  • Rotation Lock — The orientation of the Tetriminos are random and you cannot rotate them.
  • Escalation — As the game levels up, you’ll have to clear more lines
  • Invisible — The Tetriminos become invisible as they drop to the bottom.

Local multiplayer for up to four players is included, but you can also track and watch replays of performances by friends; naturally you can record your own rounds, too. That'll apparently happen through a 'social feed', and there'll also be online leaderboards; if you're particularly keen you can play by Championship Rules to try and prove yourself the best player in the world. That sounds like a mode Steve Wozniak will enjoy.

Are you looking forward to dropping some blocks in this one?

nostalgianinja

nostalgianinja said:

Yes, more news and the news we need.

Let's hope we can get a proper Tetris this time. Tetris (3DS) and Tetris Axis has a nasty Spotpass bug in it, which bugged the daylights out of me twice already. Let's hope Ubi can do something right that Hudson didn't.

Edit: From the screenshots, it looks as if UbiSoft are not confining to color standards of SRS. The J piece (Whch is often a vibrant blue) is looking a bit to the dark purple side.

Oh, and for the love of all that is good, PLEASE let us be able to turn items off. I don't approve of items at all. Also allow 4-player multiplayer with items off.

mike_intv

mike_intv said:

Ubisoft has not yet said if it is DL only or retail on the 3DS.
It's website only talks about PS4 and XB1 versions.

Mega719

Mega719 said:

Why isn't this coming to Wii U and when are they ever going to show us Watch Dogs footage?

HandheldGuru97

HandheldGuru97 said:

I'll keep an eye on this, but I loved Axis back 2011 and still play it to this day so probably not. Sure it isn't Tetris DS, but it is a very solid Tetris game. This looks pretty good, disappointed there won't be a Wii U version...but once I get my NES fixed I'll have plenty of console Tetris fun to last a good while!

bofis

bofis said:

I just hope this is remotely good enough to actually replace Tetris DS, which I carry with me to play on my 3DS to this day. The vs. mode in Tetris Axis was a JOKE and far too easy compared to even Lvl 4 CPU in Tetris DS

iphys

iphys said:

I don't even know why they put Spotpass in Axis, and yeah, that error message gets annoying, but it's never harmed my game in any way I don't think.

@bofis Did you play the level 11 CPU in Axis, because I think it's harder than the TDS level 4 CPU, and a lot of people don't realize it exists?

midnafanboy

midnafanboy said:

Oobisoft knows how to support the 3ds with their games,sad their support for the wiiu is gone.

millarrp

millarrp said:

It's a shame there isn't a Wii U version might pick this one up since, even though I have the download version of Tetris Axis. Have to wait to see the reviews once it's released.

iphys

iphys said:

@Aqueous I'm not even sure it will have download play, so 4 might be sufficient. Tetris DS had 10 player download-play though, sigh.

nostalgianinja

nostalgianinja said:

@GloverMist There's a bug in the Spotpass system for Tetris 3DS (Tetris Axis in the US) where if you play enough times online, the game will give the following errors (in order, I documented them on my Twitter if you're interested.)

1) "SpotPass is OFF because the SpotPass received data usage limit has been reached"

2) "You cannot use Spotpass"

3) (dialogue asking if you want spotpass to be turned on)

4) Creates data if yes, and says "Extra data saved." If no is selected, it says "You cannot use spotpass." again

nostalgianinja

nostalgianinja said:

@bofis Tetris Party Deluxe's VS mode is pretty stable, and I think Hudson just rehashed Tetris Party Deluxe for Tetris Axis, to be honest.

Mercy_Lost

Mercy_Lost said:

The main problem with an online tetris game, (or at least the 3ds one) is finding anyone who wants to play a nice clean game of skill with no-power ups or party fun fun! If I wanted that I'd play Dr. Robotnik's mean bean machine! Which reminds me! Any news on the puyo puyo X tetris port yet?!

MrGawain

MrGawain said:

The real question is are the Xb1 and PS4 60fps. That's all that matters about any game now!

anthonysea

anthonysea said:

Honestly, i don't see the point of this game. I'll just get Tetris Party (DX) instead.

iphys

iphys said:

@anthonysea Tetris Party (Deluxe) wi-fi is all dead, which hurts the Wii U more than the 3DS that still has Axis, but oh well. Still hoping Ubisoft change their mind about the Wii U or Nintendo make us an even better Tetris game for Wii U.

ecco6t9

ecco6t9 said:

Hopefully this turns out good. I am looking to pick it up for the 3DS and Vita.

greeeco

greeeco said:

I hope this will take everything amazing about Tetris Axis and make it even better

Kilroy

Kilroy said:

Invisible and Rotation Lock are the only interesting details. As long as Cascade isn't tacked onto RL, it could be pretty fun. Although, I love Cascade, the possibility of adding that kind of limitation doesn't sound appealing.

Other than that, what makes this Ultimate? All the other modes are par for the course...

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

Its Ubisoft it will be worse than Tetris Axis (And definitely worse than Puyo Puyo Tetris or Tetris DS) probably be slightly better than EA's mobile versions of Tetris.

DBPirate

DBPirate said:

Silly Ubisoft. Tetris should be for Wii U! horrible pun intended

No, seriously, it should be.

audiobrainiac

audiobrainiac said:

Better 3DS than nothing, I'd rather take it with me anyway. It love Axis but this looks to be better. I'll probably buy it after reviews come out.

Donjwolf

Donjwolf said:

Is Tetris DS going to be the only game that has Push Mode? That was the best thing about that game. I no longer have the cartridge but I wish a newer game would have that mode.

I'll just stick to GB Tetris then until a future game comes out has Push Mode.

AshFoxX

AshFoxX said:

Oh, Ubisoft... I need to set up a filter on my internet that ignores them unless the words "Beyond", "Good", "Evil" and "2" are all part of the article.

Action51

Action51 said:

What a shame that Ubisoft got the rights to Tetris.

Maybe they can release it every year with a new skin and call it "Just Tetris 2015" ...

Yeah I love Tetris but no money from me Ubisoft. As primarily a PC and Nintendo gamer I'll wait until you clean up your act and treat me like a valued consumer first.

LeapingLunatic

LeapingLunatic said:

We've already got Tetris Axis and the virtual console version. Do we really need another one on the 3DS?

Ventilator

Ventilator said:

Twintris from 1991 or so is to date the best Tetris clone ever.

All newer Tetris'es have been letdowns, and i doubt UBI have the skills to make a proper Tetris game.

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

Another game that makes me wish it'd be simpler to have it work on both the Wii U and 3DS and that cross-buy was all over the eShop.

I don't read online multiplayer anywhere though, which would be quite a shame.

LindsayPez

LindsayPez said:

Yay. But no Tetris will ever be as good as The New Tetris on N64. :( The music, the gameplay, the pretty levels...I need to get another N64 so I can play it again! I loved making boxes. I wish they'd make another Tetris like this.

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

@Ventilator Are you joking? The New Tetris and Tetrisphere for N64 are amazing. Tetris DS is another gem. I'm probably forgetting others have have come out since 1991 that far exceeded the game you are talking about.

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

@Ventilator It's OK, we all forget. So many games over the years. I still have my Tetrisphere cart/box/instruction manual. Wish it would come to VC.