E3 2014: Mario Maker Officially Announced for Wii U, Coming 2015

Posted by Martin Watts

Let'sa build whole new stages!

It appeared in a grainy, slightly dodgy looking photo earlier this week, but it turns out that the rumours were true after all; Mario Maker has been announced for Wii U and will be arriving on the system next year.

Similar in concept to popular PlayStation series LittleBigPlanet, Mario Maker enables players to build bespoke 2D Super Mario stages. Shown during Nintendo's E3 2014 Digital Event, the game comes with a wealth of customisation options, allowing the player to build stages using classic props and items from the Super Mario franchise.

Interestingly, the game will enable players to switch between two visual styles: classic Super Mario Bros. and the more recent New Super Mario Bros. series. The showcase implied that players would be able to share their creations with one another, which could result in an active community building up around the title if done properly.

We'll provide more details as soon as we have them.

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

Looks very promising. Though I am curious about what limits the game will have? Surely Nintendo will fear above all else, people using this to remake older titles? (& thusly not buy those older titles.)

ZenTurtle

ZenTurtle said:

Ugh. Not everyone has 'nostalgia' for the basic gameplay and graphics of the very first Mario game. Why can't we have the choice of the SMB3 or Mario World style?

Alucard83

Alucard83 said:

Are we really waiting for a game like this? I never liked customizing games. Very very boring and time consuming. Never been fan of Mario Paint or Mario Missing.

dkxcalibur

dkxcalibur said:

A dream come true! Although I'm surprised it's not on the 3DS instead. Could you imagine how this could work with streetpass? You pass someone at the mall and then go home and play their Mario level. I guess the Wii U will allow for larger levels and better graphics?

Gridatttack

Gridatttack said:

@Conellossus Nope. I will continue NSMBD hacking.
While its cool and all we can now edit this, you cant edit tilesets, cant use all the sprites from NSMBU, etc.

RedYoshi999

RedYoshi999 said:

Looks great! Have no idea why it needs to release in 2015 though... It's not the new Zelda y'know.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

I am sooooooo pumped to play this! Can't wait to create really intense levels & play those of others! Soooo cool, thanks Nintendo! :D

absuplendous

absuplendous said:

I'm not really grabbed by this one. There are plenty of other games where create-a-level is a mere bonus feature attached to an actual game, so if this is meant to be a standalone title, I'd hope it's priced accordingly. Further, I know I'm no expert level designer, and I suspect most gamers aren't either, so the idea of a whole community of user-created stages isn't as enticing as one would tout. I do appreciate the visual style options, though; even though I cut my teeth on Super Mario Bros. and someone who likes sprites in general, I'm sick to death of the original sprite aesthetic.

Funny_Moblin

Funny_Moblin said:

@Alucard83 Yes, we are waiting for a game like this, speak of yourself. There are many people who like to be creative, and have to ability to be creative. So just let us creative ones enjoy this announcement, please.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

I was hoping this was real, and it is. Cool that not only can you make Super Mario Bros. levels, but New Super Mario Bros. U levels as well. I wonder if it's an eShop game or a retail game, though?

Stubborn_Monkey

Stubborn_Monkey said:

"We're sick and tired of listening how you could do better than the NSMB games; so this time, YOU do it."

rjejr

rjejr said:

Wasn't really interested in this until I saw the change in graphics, so now maybe.

Comparing this to LBP is BEYOND ludicrous speed however. Unless this game lets you do really long intricate levels w/ falling objects and explosions and cut scenes. All this looks like is the level editor from SSBB.

And yes, as much as Wii U needs games, this should be on 3DS for street pass to exchange levels w/ strangers.

DiscoDriver43

DiscoDriver43 said:

Hopefully, this has the same amount of tools as say Little Big Planet or better. I love Little Big Planet due to the creative community levels.

maceng

maceng said:

The Wii U needs this game and it will be tons better for creation on a TV. Hopefully, you can still send a given level (or a set of them) to a 3DS for fun on the go.

Haywired

Haywired said:

Doesn't this sort of thing kind of devalue their own product/content?

Unless of course they're now done with 2D Mario...

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

If you ask me, it's about danged time Nintendo made a sanctioned level editor for Mario. No more cheap ROM hacks, yay!

Magicpegasus

Magicpegasus said:

it's strange that warioware diy is like five years old and we're just now seeing this...will have to wait and see how Nintendo handles this idea. right off the bat, it seems like it's not enough. I want 3ds crossplay/sharing, tilesets from all the big Mario games, varients/mutators, music editing, and like some way to weed through crap levels and showcase/bundle the best offerings.

Genesaur

Genesaur said:

An eShop game; that's my guess. Wonder why it's gonna take so long. It seems like there wouldn't be quite so much to add, unless they're gonna have more skins than Super Mario Bros. and Mario U. Maybe there will be World or Bros. 3 skins, as well? I dunno; 2015 seems a little late for this one.

Henmii

Henmii said:

There seems to be some crazy things in it, like the skinny mushroom. Looks a bit like a new Mario paint, even the Fly swatter is in it.

Hmm, if this is a download (that isn't overpriced) I might get it.

@Haywired,

A good opportunity to call it a day on the "new" super Mario bros series! Though that probably won't happen.

Deltadon

Deltadon said:

Glad this is real. Wondering what kind if price point it'll be at. Hopefully cheap and have several dlc add ons.

BoobooMama

BoobooMama said:

I wasn't really interested in this until I saw the E3 demo, now I'm so hyped for this!

LawRulesALL

LawRulesALL said:

I might get this when I have a U. The concept looks interesting and I always wanted to try out my share of creativity in this series, thinking "this part could be that way..." and so on hehe The pricing has to be fair and correct tough.

jbooth46

jbooth46 said:

I just wee'd a bit in my pants when i saw this, EPIC! I cant wait. My mums not going to see me for a while when i get this, gunna lock myself in my room with a 48 pack of pepsi max and an extra large bag of cheetos, oh and a box of tissues! Im in love with mario and luigi, and got a soft spot for princess ;-) if u know what i mean.

jbooth46

jbooth46 said:

Im the happiest 45 year old around right now, mum said she will pay for the game for me :-) im off to bounce on my bed coz im that excited ! #princesswillyoumarryme?