EA Releases Lengthy List of Online Services to be Shut Down on DS and Wii

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Oh no, not Bejeweled 2!

Closing down online game services is all the rage at the moment, with Nintendo switching off elements of its Wi-Fi services on the Wii and DS on 20th May. It appears that EA is now joining in the fun, with online services for over 50 games closing at the end of June.

The range of games is old enough to incorporate a period when EA still made games for Nintendo systems — or owned companies that did — so DS and Wii owners are about to see their online gaming options shrink even further. Below are the DS and Wii titles with online services ending on 30th June this year.

There's always an air of inevitability to online services shutting down, but will you miss any of these when they're gone?

Thanks to Ryan Millar for the tip.

[via ea.com]

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

You see "EA" and "shutdown" in a headline, and you get all excited. Sadly just online servers. Maybe next time...

KeeperBvK

KeeperBvK said:

I wish they'd made some more MySims games. Aside from the horrible MySims Party they were all great fun. :(

ChessboardMan

ChessboardMan said:

According to Google, Dragon Sakura should be Zakura? Makes no sense to me neither… seems to be a Japan only game… didn't realise EA made those?

Hordak

Hordak said:

So, basically you only leased part of these games? I have always felt that single player or local only multiplayer is the best option for me for this reason exactly. I can play my Nintendo (EDIT: NES, Gameboy, SNES, N64, GameCube, etc) games forever without ever having to worry about my service being shut off. I suppose this is me being old and standing on a soapbox, but I just don't and won't support "digital download only" or any games deeply rooted in online based play.

lividd3ad

lividd3ad said:

Honestly I didn't even know there was a Bejeweled game on WiiWare, nor that Sneezies even existed. Makes you realise just how much more Nintendo are pushing digital content this generation; we get a substantial amount of hype and info about every game.

Darknyht

Darknyht said:

Always sad to hear online features shutting down, but I am not surprised. More surprised that some of those were still active.

Swiket

Swiket said:

@Hordak "I can play my Nintendo games forever without ever having to worry about my service being shut off."

Boy I got some bad news for you about what's going to happen this month...

MamaLuigi

MamaLuigi said:

Nintendo is going to have to suck up big time to EA for any future support. Otherwise EA is a dead ringer for "pick-and-choose" corporate fodder.

Luigifan141

Luigifan141 said:

THOSE WERE THE BEST WII GAMES I CAN NEVER FORGIVE EA NOW HOW COULD THEY DO THIS?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?1?!?!?

lol

Dragoon04

Dragoon04 said:

Wow EA really brought their A list games to the table for the wii. I mean Bejeweled 2. What ever shall we do?

Hordak

Hordak said:

@Swiket By that I meant NES, SNES, N64, GameCube games. I know Wii games are getting shut down, but even so, I never played any Wii games that required me to use any sort of online feature.

Dragoon04

Dragoon04 said:

@MamaLuigi Nintendo does not need to suck up to EA for anything. Besides I don't think that is how it works anyway. Imagine Nintendo buying a box of chocolates for EA and a hallmark card, or doing EA's laundry.

Gingadreadman

Gingadreadman said:

Yea this is such a shame because EA brought all of their top games to the Wii. Haha I joke I don't even care.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

There is no inevitability if companies do the right thing and release a dedicated server. (Or they patch the game so it can continue working).

Pahvi

Pahvi said:

@KeeperBvK I might want to toss SkyHeroes alongside Party as well - but the others I really liked and I'd love to see more games in the vein of Kingdoms and Agents.

I think this is, again, tied to the Gamespy thing going down... and if I read correctly on Eurogamer, even Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2 on computers are going down.

jpfan1989

jpfan1989 said:

I can honestly say that I haven't owned an EAgame since the days of PS2 and GameCube

jc3bull

jc3bull said:

No game should be "old enough" to have it's online abilities slashed. What's the point in investing in something that you won't be able to enjoy in the future?

epicdude12302

epicdude12302 said:

I could never make Nintendo Wifi Connection work so this doesn't affect me at all! Everything is so much simpler now!

MussakkuLaden

MussakkuLaden said:

@Angelic_Lapras_King That is what I've been asking myself too. And I guess that it may be EA who made a mistake here and may not have realised that the DS & Wii titles (which means in contrast to the titles on non-Nintendo platforms) will already lose their online functions on May 20th. According to Nintendo, ALL WiFi-Games will lose their online functionality, third parties of course included, as the whole service is shut down. At least, all the EA-titles mentioned here appear in Nintendo's own list likewise, which clearly says May 20th: http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/gameslist/en/games-wifi.jsp
I think EA failed to notice this when they released their multi-platform list, and I don't expect that the EA titles on Wii & DS will retain their online functions till the end of June, but lose them with all the others on the 20th of May.
Perhaps NL could investigate this and clarify the situation.

Personally, I owned about 30 Wii titles with online functionality and I played all of them during the last couple of weeks since the shutdown was announced. With a very few exceptions – Onslaught – I found players for every game, which surprised me too.
Hmm, I seem to have no EA title with online functionality. Indeed, almost no EA titles for the Wii at all.

kyuubikid213

kyuubikid213 said:

@unrandomsam You're saying that companies should have dedicated servers for online for every system from now until the end of time. That would be an unnecessary waste of money, time, and energy after a point.

Doctor_Pancakes

Doctor_Pancakes said:

@Number_6 I actually gave up on Mass Effect after Bioware was bought by EA.
Dead Space Broke me and I bit and surprising loved it and Extraction on the Wii BUT all of the following games in the franchise were awful. EA's best nintendo exclusive game was Beetle Adventure Racing and I've wanted a sequel to it ever since the N64 release and really wanted to see it on Wii's VC lol

Okumei

Okumei said:

Ha! EA thinks we care. The only Wii/DS games that people still played online were Smash Bros. Brawl, both versions of Mario Kart, and maybe Jump Ultimate Stars.

Caryslan

Caryslan said:

@Angelic_Lapras_King It depends on if third-party games used Nintendo's servers. I don't know about EA games, but Call of Duty Black Ops and Modern Warfare 3 run on Activision's servers, which means they will not be affected when Nintendo's servers shut down.

ejamer

ejamer said:

So what does this mean for Rock Band DLC content. Will it still be accessible if we want to buy more tracks? What about re-downloading content that was already purchased?

People can grouse over EA being a lousy company, but they've published some excellent games. The Beatles: Rock Band is one example: easily one of the coolest games released last gen and something that will be tremendously fun to play for years to come.

Squashy

Squashy said:

@Hordak and @jc3bull I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way!

@Caryslan So does this mean Goldeneye's online multiplayer will carry on!? Whoppie!!

@unrandomsam Quite right, if a publisher doesn't want to run servers anymore they should let people who do take it over!

River3636

River3636 said:

I wish EA would shut down completely. They disgust me. I will never buy an EA product again and it's sad because I would've liked to got into the mass effect series. Sure they have the soccer (I live). I think they have Star Wars and dragon age I can live without these. Every time I buy an EA game I find it to be .mediocre. Anyway and that is a shame because I would have still given them a chance had they not dissed the big N that way.

MrGuinea

MrGuinea said:

Oh no I'll have to get my playing time in now! ...oh wait, that's right, I don't own any of EA's game. Nor want to own any of them. Nor care. EA has already shutdown in my world.

Lobster

Lobster said:

My Bejeweled 2 on WiiWare had online stuff?
Edit: Oh, and aside from some sounds randomly and unnecessarily coming out of the Wiimote that game was top notch.