Rumour: Ubisoft Working On 2D Prince Of Persia Reboot With The UbiArt Engine

Posted by Damien McFerran

Same graphics tech which powered Rayman Legends

The million-selling Prince of Persia series has been uncharacteristically quiet of late, leading many to speculate that Ubisoft has mothballed the famous franchise. However, if rumours are to be believed, the Prince will be making his return sooner than you might expect.

According to French website Le Portail du Jeu Video, a new game is in development which makes use of the excellent UbiArt Framework — the same tech which powers Rayman Legends and Child of Light.

The site states that the title character will be comprised of different 2D "limbs" which can be animated independently of one another to give a realistic impression of movement. The technique is incredibly "fluid" in motion, according to the report.

When pressed for comment on the rumour, Ubisoft told Videogamer that it "does not comment on rumours or speculation".

If a new Prince of Persia game was currently in development — and used the UbiArt engine — then it would stand an excellent chance of eventually making its way to the Wii U. Would you be excited about such a prospect? Or do you think the Prince deserves to star in a full-3D, Triple-A blockbuster? Let us know posting a comment below.

[via videogamer.com]

Peach64

Peach64 said:

I'd be interested, but honestly prefer the 3D games. I guess it's too much to hope for something like Sands of Time ever again, as it has to be far more combat heavy these days.

Action51

Action51 said:

Depends on whether or not Ubisoft can release it without a million delays, reversed promises, and doesn't alienate fans of every console that doesn't have the largest immediate install base.

While they release a better product then EA, Ubisoft's marketing decision are becoming increasingly infuriating. We'll see how this one shapes up.

RudysaurusRex

RudysaurusRex said:

The UbiArt Rayman games made me love a series I previously didn't care about. Maybe they could do the same for me with Prince of Persia.

ULTRA-64

ULTRA-64 said:

I'm not a fan of Prince of Persia but I am a fan of anything of the quality of rayman legends! Hope it's true.

StaticWind

StaticWind said:

The name rings a bell, but I don't think I've ever played any of the games. If it makes its way to the Wii U, I'd give it a try.

RawkHawk013

RawkHawk013 said:

My mom used to play these games, not sure if it's my type of game. But would be interesting if this rumor turned out to be true. Still have not yet got Rayman Legends, but definitely would like to soon.

XFsWorld

XFsWorld said:

@MAB LOL

Won't be coming to WiiU.

Edit: Matter fact, any third party title that gets announced (or rumored) shouldn't be on Nintendo Life unless it's confirmed to be on Nintendo systems.

Zorox88

Zorox88 said:

Can we stop using the term Triple-A? In a decade it won't be relevant, it reminds me of people who say we are in the "4th" generation of gaming. A game is a game, is a game; people having been playing them for a very long time.

SahashraLA

SahashraLA said:

Triple A baseball usually refers to the highest level of minor leagues, as in, not good enough to be professional. I like the term top notch. If a game is going to be retail and looks amazing, I just say 'top notch retail'. I find it ridiculous that a game like Limbo, Fez or even Rayman Legends are referred to as indie or 'small scale' and CoD, Assassin's Creed and the various sports franchises as 'triple A'. As if the budget of the game is any indication of it's quality. It's easy to buy press and flaunt showy graphics and much more difficult to mean something. In an ever increasing climate of fluctuation, it seems that the only thing that stays the same is the preconceived notion that selling millions of copies makes a game great.

SahashraLA

SahashraLA said:

As an aside, I had an idea for a game, maybe 3 years ago now. The idea was loosely spawned by the trailers for the Prince of Persia film. And, let's be honest, the mad crush I foster for Gemma Arterton. I saw it named something like 'The Princess' Persia' and it would basically be a Prince of Persia RTS featuring a female lead. I'd always pictured it playing out like Child of Light but with the acrobacy and hair splitting platforming of PoP. The combat sequences would have allowed a Lunar-esque experience, with a turn base and movement restrictions. Or, the alternative was to allow multiple players to control the different team members, allowing for more diverse chain attacks. Of course, the story would avoid any 'rescue the Prince' cliches, instead focusing on the Princess expanding her empire. Hence the title.

bofis

bofis said:

I would totally get this on WiiU...Rayman is my favorite game and the engine is beautiful in HD

Diddy_kong

Diddy_kong said:

I just came here to say how much I love Rayman Legends. It is simply one of the most beautiful games that I have ever played.

allav866

allav866 said:

@XFsWorld You forget that there was a Prince of Persia game for at least 2 Nintendo systems? (that I can remember) It's not an utter impossibility for a new Prince of Persia game to be on the Wii U, especially if it does run on Rayman Legends's engine. Until it's confirmed that the game isn't coming to Nintendo systems, or whether or not the game's in development for that matter, NL's staff can post about it here as much as they want.

polarbear

polarbear said:

Considering how great Rayman Legends was on the Wii U, made with UbiArt Framework, and use that with the classic series Prince of Persia. Wow! Would be a day one buy for me!!!

ToniK

ToniK said:

Good idea. The original Prince of Persia was one of the first games if not THE first game I ever played. In our basement kind of space somewhere around 1991. Man, that was some time ago.

DamoAdmin

Damo said:

@XFsWorld Any rumoured title should be confirmed for Wii U before we report on it?

Just think about the logic behind that statement, please. ;)

DamoAdmin

Damo said:

@Zorox88 Some games sell better than others and are given increased development budgets - hence the term "Triple A".

We still have "Blockbuster" movies, so I don't see why you'd want us to stop calling games "Triple-A".

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

Awesome! I've been waiting a loooong time for a new Prince of Persia game, I really enjoyed the last one, the reboot. I don't think Assassin's Creed quite replaced the 3D Prince of Persia games imo, they're too history based without enough magic (other than the end game stuff of some of the AC games) & the locales aren't desert palaces either. Even though this is 2D I look forward to it.

GloverMist

GloverMist said:

I'm down for that. I've never played a Prince of Persia game (yes, really...), so that would be great for a start, but if it looks anywhere near as good as Rayman Legends or Child of Light... That could be something special!

erv

erv said:

The 3d persia games were awesome, so I'd always welcome another sands of time. I want them to be creative with this one though, not limited.

ReigningSemtex

ReigningSemtex said:

A 2d prince of persia reboot using the ubiart engine would be cool but I think the prince deserves a full fledged triple a title after all this time without a decent prince of persia.

AJWolfTill

AJWolfTill said:

Would the UbiArt engine work in 3d? I know we haven't seen it happen but it would be nice to see.

LavaTwilight

LavaTwilight said:

@MAB
BRILLIANT! Would definitely buy that game.
On topic however I don't see how any of those quotes can support a new PoP game. A new Rayman's game sounds more likely since the "limbs" are animated independently.
Saying that, if there was a HD remake of the original Atari Prince of Persia game, I'd definitely be getting my wallet ready.

dumedum

dumedum said:

If its 2d it will most likely be on Wii U eshop yes. Loved the originals 2d and Sands of Time on GC.

rylo151

rylo151 said:

@AJWolfTill im pretty sure rayman had some 3d things in it, some of the bigger enemy and the backgrounds were 3d i believe. if the entire game could work in 3d, who knows though?

lamco

lamco said:

@MAB that definately got a laugh out of me :D
I hope they return back to their roots with this and they at least release on 3ds or psvita

LtAldoRaine

LtAldoRaine said:

That's pretty neat. I love Rayman Legends, my only gripe is that the Murfy levels aren't very good when you're playing alone. They are a blast in multiplayer though.

BertoFlyingFox

BertoFlyingFox said:

I think a lot of titles could benefit from smaller budget digital games rather than constant annualized blockbusters. Not saying to abandon bigger games entirely, but a nice balance could work greatly.

I'd love a new 2d PoP, just please release it on WiiU with all the same bells and whistles as other versions.

ICHIkatakuri

ICHIkatakuri said:

didn't PS3 and XBLA already get a remake of the original, and then remakes on phones and tablets so now they're going to remake it again even though it was made-remade and ported all over the shop in the first place? I don't get it.

mamp

mamp said:

But Prince of Persia is terrible (in my opinion anyways) why does Ubisoft keep trying to make it a thing. Doesn't every iteration of that game always fail.

Purple

Purple said:

Look at them, troll mother said. Look at my sons! You won't find more beautiful trolls on this side of the moon. (1915) by John Bauermamp

MAB

MAB said:

This could be geared up ready for release on the Playstation 2 instead ;)

memoryman3

memoryman3 said:

@KnightRider666 Errr....

Rayman Origins 3DS was on the UbiArt Engine, and it was a mess. Muddy visuals, weak sound and 30FPS gameplay.

Same reason why Rayman Legends and NES Remix never made their way to 3DS, the hardware just isn't up to snuff for high end 2D titles...

memoryman3

memoryman3 said:

@KnightRider666 We aren't talking 8-bit. Or 16-bit. Or 32-bit. Or even 64-bit. We are talking about lush, hand-crafted visuals with layers of high-resolution art and rich dynamic lighting (Rayman Legends). How do you suppose 3DS could handle that at even a playable framerate?

KnightRider666

KnightRider666 said:

@memoryman3: I have the PS3 version. You can't expect a portable version to match a console's quality, c'mon man. I wouldn't touch anything Vita with a ten foot pole. If the Vita's so great, why is the 3DS outselling it?

memoryman3

memoryman3 said:

@KnightRider666 I don't like the Vita either but you have to admit that it is superior to the 3DS in every aspect but the AAA lineup, where 3DS thrashes it with Pokèmon and Animal Crossing and SUPER MARIO BROS.

Imagine Vita or higher level hardware with all these franchises!