Oddworld's Lorne Lanning Isn't Worried About Wii U's Low Install Base Impacting New ‘n’ Tasty Sales

Posted by Damien McFerran

"We want to get to work on Nintendo"

While other developers and publishers seem to be finding any excuse they can to not bring their games to the Wii U, Oddworld's Lorne Lanning has stated emphatically that his studio's upcoming remake — Oddworld: New ‘n’ Tasty — will hit Nintendo's consoles, irrespective of its current commercial fortunes.

Talking to VentureBeat, Lanning stated that his company was keen to hit as wide an audience as possible — and that includes Nintendo fans. He also gave the release of Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath HD on the PS Vita as an example of how his company doesn't allow concerns over install bases impact the systems it supports:

We’re self-publishing. With Sony that’s a breeze. With Steam it’s a breeze. With Microsoft it’s not a breeze. With Nintendo, something’s going to happen there shortly. Even on the Wii U, though, how many people did buy it? It’s kind of how we looked at Vita in the Christmas of 2012. We did Stranger HD on Vita, and the publishers were kind of snubbing Vita at the time, because there wasn’t enough installed base to move their dial. We said, yeah, but that small base is pretty passionate. They invested and they want good experiences that are designed to maximize that control scheme. Why don’t we spend a little more time and attention – because we’re small and we can – and a result we took number two in the U.S. and number one in Europe that Christmas on Vita.

That’s not selling millions of units, but the way we’re looking at it, it gets us into a pool of users on a specific device, of which so far we’ve had zero on Nintendo. We’ve had zero brand visibility on Nintendo since day one. We never built for Nintendo. Today, we’re looking at it and we say, “We’ll get over to Wii U. As a business model it might not completely make sense, but we want to get to work on Nintendo, get to self-publishing on Nintendo. Everything’s a new store. Everything’s more shelf space. We’re trying to get the brand across that as widely as possible.

It's refreshing to hear a developer support the Wii U in such a fashion — will you be investing in New 'n' Tasty, even at its proposed $30 price point? Let us know with a comment.

[via venturebeat.com]

Thearnaud44

Thearnaud44 said:

I'm interested, but not convinced, still waiting for more info but I am leaning towards getting it.

RickyNGmr

RickyNGmr said:

Sounds good... perhaps his efforts will represent a more valuable gameplay on Nintendo's Hardware..^_^

DrJoson

DrJoson said:

Definitely. Never played the original, but everyone I know who has played it found it to be one of the best games of the generation. It'd be like not buying the Wind Waker remake after never having played the Gamecube original.

Genesaur

Genesaur said:

That's sweet of him, but I've never cared about Oddworld and will most likely not buy it.

Sparx

Sparx said:

I honestly can't wait for this game and have no idea why I'm so interested in it XP

Dinosaurs

Dinosaurs said:

It's confounding sentiment but like with any game that comes across the desk my Wii U sits on I'll watch out for it.

audiobrainiac

audiobrainiac said:

That's well said, we ARE passionate. I am so stoked about this game. Its one of my favs of all time. MUST. HAVE. :)

ICHIkatakuri

ICHIkatakuri said:

I loved abes odyssey and am really looking forward to picking this (and strangers wrath) on wii u.

bmprsvz777

bmprsvz777 said:

Wii U has an absolute third-party drought and very few first party games announced, so this game is more than welcome. If every third party developer had Lorne Lannings attitude, Wii U might be a different story. I will buy this game.

dumedum

dumedum said:

"it gets us into a pool of users on a specific device, of which so far we’ve had zero on Nintendo" - and yet, selling 150,000 to 600,000 with some of the 3rd party games is apparently "not enough". These guys get it.

Ryno

Ryno said:

Not sure if I will buy it or not but I'm keeping an eye on it.

PinkSpider

PinkSpider said:

If it's traditional odd world then they have a sale from me
They have a sale for there positive attitude towards nintendo anyway to be fair
Love me a bit of odd world
Never played any HD versions though only Playstation ones, I bet 2D odd world will look gorgeous in HD

Warruz

Warruz said:

Buy on day 1 no question. I Love the entire oddworld series and Im sure this wont disappointed.

This is what the game looks like btw for all those who dont know.

AJWolfTill

AJWolfTill said:

@Sparx Believe me, you have every reason to be exited! This could be the most phenomenally creative and unique platformer ever. There is just something about it's world...

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

It's a wonderfully crafted game with a unique and darkly humorous world - nice to see it being resurrected on modern consoles and I'm happy to pay their asking price - certainly better than digging up a PS ONE and an old CD!

LavaTwilight

LavaTwilight said:

I'll definitely be buying this too and definitely on WiiU! I'm not too keen on Exodus and Munch's just repelled me from Oddworld but if Stranger's Wrath comes to WiiU I might be convinced to separate from my money once more.

Dark-Link73

Dark-Link73 said:

I've never played any Oddworld game, but if my budget allows me, I'll buy it to support them just for giving the Wii U a chance while most other developers are running for the hills.

I did it for Platinum Games, I'll do it Lanning.

DefHalan

DefHalan said:

Everyone is so focused on New & Tasty but what about a Stranger's Wrath release date? Or is Stranger's Wrath for Wii U canned?

SquidzillaStaff

Squidzilla said:

A really refreshing outlook, and one I'm happy to reward by buying a remastered version of one of my favourite games ever. Very very excited for this.

bofis

bofis said:

At this point I'm supporting any projects that are smart enough to make good WiiU versions of games (or exclusives) as that's my preferred console to play games on if I'm not on my 3DS on the subway ;-)

mamp

mamp said:

Well good luck with the Wii U shelf space is all I can say. I hope you can make some sales although odds are well you know...

Josaku

Josaku said:

I would most likly buy it, because I think I played a "oddworld"-game . . . so why not try something new ^^

Kafei2006

Kafei2006 said:

There's certainly potential to do cool stuff with the Gamepad on this one, such as not forcing the player to resort to convoluted button combinations to communicate with other Mudokons... Give us shortcuts on the touch screen, or even voice recognition through the mic of the gamepad !! That would be brilliant :) !

JustinH

JustinH said:

I'm still on the fence on this one. A retail release would help but is definitely not coming.

HappyHappyist

HappyHappyist said:

odd world is an amazing series, can't wait for the remake! Stranger's Wrath HD is what i am truly looking forward to. best game in the series, no question.

IPrino

IPrino said:

Day one buy for me . Their attitude should be the rule and not the exception. Hopefully other devs follow suit.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

Ya, I'm buying this on the game's merits alone.

However, I'd buy it just to support the dev and gamble on it being good...

R_Champ

R_Champ said:

I like his mentality. Oh course, it may not last if the game tanks on Wii U, but I'm glad he's taking a chance to give us this great looking game. Heck, you never know. It might turn out it sells decent, just because something has a larger install base doesn't mean instant riches and plenty of indies on Wii U have been successful.

Hortencio

Hortencio said:

@19
Thanks for the video, looks cool. Never played the original, but as many have said above, love the enthusiasm for the U (risk be damned!); probably gonna have to support...

TheAdza

TheAdza said:

Can't wait for this. I lived and breathed the world of the original game on PS1 as a teenager. It was so original in its designs for the time. Still is quite unique. And being more of a puzzler instead of an action platformer helped me branch out of my comfort zone of gaming. I will be buying this on Wii U for sure.

AlexSora89

AlexSora89 said:

Guys, if I were you I'd be more than willing to give Lanning a chance. The fact the man who created the quintessential adult platformer game for the original PSOne isn't worried for the unflattering amount of Wii Us that have been sold... well, it says a lot. I also suggest to give the PS1 original a try, provided you have a PSP or a PS3. Trust me, beneath its monstrous difficulty lies a LOT of quality.

Ridley

Ridley said:

I will be getting New 'n' Tasty (on Another Platform). Happy to play Oddysee again but NnT is the first step in allowing Oddworld/JAW to tell new stories and that's largely where my interest lies. I want to see the rest of the Quintology as soon as possible.

Oddworld never should have gone away in the first place.

AshFoxX

AshFoxX said:

Aww. I should buy this just to support such an awesome group of developers. I have had my fill of the Abe games, so I have no interest in an HD remake, but I might just throw the sheckles their way and not download it.

Very cool, guys.