Bandai Namco Announces Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures 2 for Wii U and 3DS

Posted by Jake Shapiro

Pac Attack!

Hot on the heels of last year's Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures based on the television show of the same name, Bandai Namco has revealed an announcement trailer for Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures 2, set for release this year on Wii U, 3DS, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. If you've ever wanted to see Pac-Man skyboarding, you're in luck:

A mixed 2D/3D platformer with some on-rails shooter sequences, Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures 2 stars a fully voice-acted Pac-Man as he defends PacWorld from the forebodingly-named Lord Betrayus. The packaging image on the game's official Facebook page indicates there will be a physical release for both consoles, while eShop equivalents are a solid bet based on precedent and the logo at the end of the trailer.

Did you give Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures a whirl last year? Let us know if the sequel looks up to snuff in the comments below.

[via youtube.com]

Hy8ogen

Hy8ogen said:

Can we have Gundam/Digimon/Mask Rider/Dragonball Games instead of this Bandai?

Jokes aside, glad to see Bandai supporting the U.

Nintendojuenger

Nintendojuenger said:

In many European countries there’s still no retail release of the predecessor - brings back memories of Scribblenauts.

Guybrush20X6

Guybrush20X6 said:

The fact it's on no "next-gen" consoles should be a warning flag but this generation swap has been screwy so I don't know what to think.

I hope it's better than it's prequel in any case.

ej_styles

ej_styles said:

Really enjoyed the original, regardless of what some reviewers were saying about it before it got released. Will definitely buy the sequel on launch, hopefully the UK won't have to wait 4+ months after the rest of the world for it this time.

midnafanboy

midnafanboy said:

Well with this announcement now we know that pacman is going to be in the new smash bros game.

DiscoDriver43

DiscoDriver43 said:

huh? never seen the tv show. Is it any good? obviously since it is a show based on cartoon, it is probably more likely no

SockoMario

SockoMario said:

I really hate the art style of the Ghostly Adventures series. The world is bland and generic. Plus, Pac-Man's new design is ugly, and his voice sounds terrible if you ask me.

I can't say wether or not that the series is bad, because I haven't tried it, and probably never will. Oh, and it's nice that the Wii U is getting a third party game.

But, I will stick with the original Pac-Man.

Chouzetsu

Chouzetsu said:

@SockoMario I couldn't agree with you more. I just can't get over that new Pac-Man design and his voice makes me want to run away... and hide in a hole... and die.

Gold

Gold said:

3rd party support on Wii U? Pfttt. JK
I need a demo to justify my purchase if this game.

Action51

Action51 said:

This looks like a Mario/Sonic wannabe...the colorful characters and silliness should make this a nice game for kids.

Still, as a fan of old school gaming I am always hoping Pac-Man will one day get a game as good as original Pac-Man or the lesser known, but very under-rated Pacmania.

SphericalCrusher

SphericalCrusher said:

Wow. I've been considering getting the one on WiiU... seems to be doing well if it gets a sequel, eh? It looks fun!

SphericalCrusher

SphericalCrusher said:

@Action51 Let's be honest though... all platformers have taken from Sonic and Mario. lol. As far as being for kids, it's no more than any other animated or Nintendo game. It's Pacman in a different genre — if you want a game as good as the original Pacman, try Pacman Championship DX. It's great!

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

So instead of giving us Pac-Man Museum, Namco decided to give us this one instead. As much as I like 3D Pac, I still prefer they give us Pac-Man Museum as well. Sorry Namco, you need to try better than this. There's no reason you can release this one and not be able to bring out Pac-Man Museum to Wii U/3DS eShop as well.

3dcaleb

3dcaleb said:

i havent tried the first one yet but this one looks like it might be kinda cool. but i did get the pac-man and galaga one and that was cool so maybe its time to try these.

DarkKirby

DarkKirby said:

Please choose one of Namco's many RPG and Fighting Game Characters instead of Pac-Man for Smash. Please.

2Sang

2Sang said:

Hmmm...will the first time this appears in a direct also come with a possible new challenger?

Noonch

Noonch said:

As stated, yay 3rd party support and all but...didn't we say everything we need to with the first one?

GamecubeComplex

GamecubeComplex said:

Here's my initial reaction:
"What? No...no... this can't be real... no... please not this terrible cartoon again...
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...."

SockoMario

SockoMario said:

People, please stop saying "PAC MEN CONFURMD 4 SMESH BROS!!!!" when this news doesn't confirm ANYTHING!

What if SEGA announced "Shadow the Hedgehog 2"? Would that mean Shadow is going to appear in Smash? No, it wouldn't.

Windy

Windy said:

Stick a fork in Pacman. Its done Namco. It was done 15 years ago.

ICHIkatakuri

ICHIkatakuri said:

@Hy8ogen and Dark Souls 1&2

This is pretty quick for a sequel! I've not watched the trailer and instead shall assume it's the same game as the first iteration, the only difference being pac-man has a pink bow on his head, clearly making him a woman?

WaveyChristmas

WaveyChristmas said:

Is it safe to say that the first Ghostly Adventures on Wii U will become a teeny little gem? I'll probably pick it up. I'm surprised to see a sequel, didn't the first sell poorly?

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

I'd pick these games up if they had arcade classics as bonus content - how hard would that have been?

memoryman3

memoryman3 said:

@Hy8ogen PAC-MAN Ghostly Adventures......2?!?!?!?!?

And no Dark Souls?

PAC-MAN Ghostly Adventures 1 released just THIS MARCH for Europe!

They are milking the Pac to death.....

Superryanworld

Superryanworld said:

I think a game like pac-man championship edition dx is long overdue for release on wii u and 3ds.It's been a bit since 360&ps3 got soulcalibur 2,so where is the best version Namco?I'd love to battle as link online.

Pod

Pod said:

I wonder if anyone who knows Pac Man from his glory days are actually watching the show or playing the game. And are making the connection that yes, this is indeed the official Pac Man still kicking it.

AyeHaley

AyeHaley said:

@Hy8ogen Oh man...I would love to have a new Dragonball game for Wii U...I loved the SNES, PS1, PS2, Wii and 360 DB games to bits.

Ayronom

Ayronom said:

I will get this one on Wii U. It better be the first one. The first one was mediocre, AT BEST.

rjejr

rjejr said:

I watched that video in total confusion. I'm pretty sure I already played this game when Sonic was in it, and why is PacMan a talking 3D Kool Aid kind of guy? And it's a sequel, to what? Just not sure what's going on.

Then I remembered Spyro is the star of Skylanders and it all made sense.

Nintenjoe64

Nintenjoe64 said:

Didn't the first game get reasonably good reviews? I'm surprised it sold well enough to get a sequel on Wii U. The only time I have really seen it on Wii U is the Miiverse page where there were no player posts whatsoever. Things I would prefer from Namco:
Pole Position or Ridge Racer arcade ports
Any of the main Soul Edge/Calibur series
Tekken without Tag
Point Blank (with decent Wiimote calibration)
Time Crisis (ditto)

lamco

lamco said:

Am i the only one who thinks pac man sounds vaguely like the new Ash Ketchum?

Anguspuss

Anguspuss said:

cant namco bandai bring anything else to wii u except this, seriously anything else

Hortencio

Hortencio said:

@A Lot of People
New smash contender..? While I hope not (Yo-shi-mit-su!!!), it just seems too destined. The announcement of this game is not a guarantee by any means, but its a reminder, cueing my feeling of dread that this little yellow terd will take the coveted Bandai-Namco spot .

odd69

odd69 said:

Well its time to go get the first one then, I've been meaning to buy it for WiiU since i saw the first screenshot, been trying to catch up with my backlog(and wow i shouldnt complain i have plenty to play) but anyways I'll pick it up on the weekend

Williaint

Williaint said:

I wish Waluigi was a contender... Why couldn't they make a Waluigi & Wario Platformer, instead of this mediocre (I think I just made the 50th use of that word) junk?
I'm sure a large number of people who have a Wii U would enjoy "Museum" over sequels to this game.
I just got a brilliant idea: ONLY MAKE IT FOR 3DS! It's not like it needs help. The only thing I can see a sequel doing is flopping, and making the sales of Wii U worse: Think of Pac Man getting hit by a ghost....

Speaking of ghosts, I feel sorry for those guys in this game.

Obito_Tennyson

Obito_Tennyson said:

@turnmebackwards I'm not here to tell you what you can or can't buy, so don't take this an offense if you do. I watched a video from this Youtuber by the name of Protomario who reviewed this game on how it could be boring to older individuals and confusing to younger individuals.

You may buy it if you like, yet he kept on mentioning the fact that it was nothing new if you were used to the average 3D platformer. The levels were pretty generic (ice world, lava world...), controls felt like any other 3D platformer... just something to keep in mind of before spending $50 on the game. Again, if you're interested in the game because it holds the infamous Pac Man, then go right ahead.