One Piece Unlimited World Red Is Sailing To Wii U And 3DS In Europe And Australia

Posted by Damien McFerran

Prepare to shiver those timbers

Namco Bandai Games has revealed that it is bringing One Piece Unlimited World Red to Wii U and 3DS consoles in Europe and Australia.

Based on the massively popular manga and anime series created by Eiichiiro Oda, Unlimited World Red will showcase all the usual nautical action and adventure, fused with co-op play and an entirely new storyline.

The game is confirmed for release this year, but Namco Bandai hasn't specified which month. It's also coming to the PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Vita.

Here's the press release:

NAMCO BANDAI Games Europe S.A.S announced today that ONE PIECE Unlimited World Red will be reaching European and Australian shores in 2014 for PlayStation® computer entertainment system, PlayStation®Vita handheld entertainment system, Nintendo 3DS™ handheld system and Wii U™! ONE PIECE Unlimited World Red is an action-adventure RPG game developed by Ganbarion Co., Ltd., based on the widely popular and praised ONE PIECE manga created by the renowned mangaka Eiichiiro Oda.

The New World and its fierce challenges await Luffy and his nakama. In ONE PIECE Unlimited World Red, players will live the complete Pirate adventure thanks to fun-filled escapades, action-packed battles and powerful allies in a whole new never-before-seen scenario. Who is this mysterious character speaking with Luffy and what are his plans?

ONE PIECE fans will be playing as all of their favourite Straw Hat crew members and progress through the storyline where they will be challenged by famous boss battles such as Crocodile, Rob Lucci, Caesar Clown and many others! Mastering many skills will be mandatory in order to execute numerous flashy combos, to dodge or interact with enemies etc.! Just like in the original manga, when things get bad, players will be able to get some help from a friend in an exciting co-op* gameplay to beat down strong opponents, or simply to enjoy mini-games such as fishing, bug-catching and so on!

“As one of the most successful manga we ever witnessed, ONE PIECE is a phenomenon that deserves AAA adaptations” said Hiroaki Ochiai, Senior Vice President of IP Strategy at NAMCO BANDAI Games Europe. “We decided to team-up with Ganbarion to create a new opus for the “Unlimited” series. Thanks to their expertise, we are sure to have an amazing game where all the details from the ONE PIECE universe will be perfectly pictured. On top of that, we are really proud and happy to have a never-before-seen scenario for this game!”

One Piece Romance Dawn was something of a disappointment, but the series has such a large number of fans that we're sure this will find an audience. Will you be picking up a copy when it is eventually released? Let us know with a comment.

Related Games

Weird

Weird said:

its announced for america too but there the vita and wii u version will only come digital
i was really hyped when i read this yesterday... especially as i read that in europe we get a physical wii u version - i have preordered it ^o^/

Blast

Blast said:

America isn't get a physical version of this game? walks away in sadness

Beta

Beta said:

Never really watched One Piece but I liked its characters from Dragon Ball Z x Toriko x One Piece, so I'll probably get this. And I know this one is going to be cheaper after a few months from release, but I recommend everyone to forget that and get it day one for the sake of future releases X3
EDIT: Oh, forgot to mention that I'm hoping for a special edition, any chance of that happening?

Warbeard

Warbeard said:

I love the manga, but a game-trailer that puts Fighting and Epic Quests behind Fishing and Bug-catching does not look promising :P

SheldonRandoms

SheldonRandoms said:

@Blast Actually, we are. The 3DS and PS3 versions will have a physical release, while the Wii U and PS Vita versions will be download only.

And i'm glad this is getting released outside of Japan, we are happy about it!

rjejr

rjejr said:

I remember playing one of these way back, maybe on the PS2, probably Grand Battle, when I was just happy to get a Powerstone like 3D brawler. This looks more like a full blown rpg or adventure game now, little bit Zelda, little bit Kingdom Hearts.

Need to follow this one to see what's going on.

Tsurii897

Tsurii897 said:

"Caesar Clown"...ouch xD

I really started hating The Anime/Manga once that whole New World stuff started (still following the Manga though...can't even tell why lel) but the game looks pretty fun imho and I always enjoyed the (better) Bandai Namco Anime games. Keeping an eye on this one ;)

ultraraichu

ultraraichu said:

Nice, I like Unlimited Adventure on Wii, so this is already on my to get list. It's also a plus that it's a co-op multiplayer too. I hope it's the on-off tv type multiplayer like OW3H.

3dcaleb

3dcaleb said:

oh i beg of you, video game gods, please give us unlimited world red in NA!!! if the english dub has been done already, how much harder can it be to give it to us? please!!!!! and those awesome one piece limited edition 3ds xls are so cool, the red one i would buy in a second. even the chopper pink one is cool.

Melkac

Melkac said:

Fun fact: This game was developed by Ganbarion, the same guys from Pandora's Tower and the creators of both Jump Stars games (Jump Super/Ultimate Stars, you know, the most pirated japanese DS game...)
It'll probably be pretty good!

3dcaleb

3dcaleb said:

@DracioKoi
i saw where it says that real quick but it's just one line and thats it. u think its true? i would like to see something a little more solid before i get my hopes up.

Rezalack

Rezalack said:

As a person who isn't really a big fan of One Piece, I have to say, this looks pretty darn good. I'm willing to give it a chance.

TrueWiiMaster

TrueWiiMaster said:

I'm definitely interested in the Wii U version, even if it is digital only in America. This looks much better than Romance Dawn.

DefHalan

DefHalan said:

This looks good. How much of the show do you think someone would have to watch to fully enjoy this game?

PinkSpider

PinkSpider said:

Will buy this on the soul purpose that there will be few copies available and the original wii one piece games are incredibly expensive to buy now

FullbringIchigo

FullbringIchigo said:

yep I am so getting it on Wii U, it will sit nicely with my copys of Unlimited Cruise parts 1 and 2 ( I also have an imported american version of Unlimited Adventure but I can't play that anymore as I didn't know updateing the Wii would block the Freeloader untill after I updated, I really wish Nintendo consoles were region free would it really hurt them?)

AVahne

AVahne said:

Hm, with the Vita version, I can import a physical copy or buy from PSN (once I get a memory card). With PS3, I can buy physical locally or buy from PSN. With 3DS, I can buy physical locally. However with Wii U it's digital-only, which is not an option for retail-priced games for me because of the lack of an account system. It's too bad;my only home console atm is the Wii U, but I won't be able to play the game and play co-op on the console since I'd be foolish to waste that much money on the eShop.

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

And just two weeks ago I told a friend not to hope for a localization. Gotta call him...

@Rapido please don't remind me. The things they did to Nami and Robin (design-wise) are just idiotic...

Rocko52

Rocko52 said:

I'm going to definitely get a PHYSICAL copy for my 3DS. I'm still debating on Romance Dawn, but this isn't even a question.

DiscoDriver43

DiscoDriver43 said:

This looks sweet! I Enjoy One Piece. Barring the terrible 4kids verison. I'll keep an eye on this.

Epicnessofme99

Epicnessofme99 said:

Very glad we'll be getting this to replace the other One Piece game that was supposedly trash. Looks really interesting and Ganbarion has a nice track history so I'm looking forward to this.

OGGamer

OGGamer said:

This actually looks pretty good judging by the trailer . I'll consider a purchase digital or physical if reviews indicate it's worth it .

JubilifeRival

JubilifeRival said:

So I can't get this here, in North America?
PS: Why does Chopper look so weird in the picture NL chose?
PPS: Was Romance Dawn really so bad?

3dcaleb

3dcaleb said:

i bought romance dawn limited edition because there was only 16,000 made and i wanted to help make sure we got more one piece games in NA. even though it got bad reviews i heard its actually ok. it has the original japanese voices and is a decent game, especially if your a one piece fan. but i havent opened mine yet, so i cant tell u for sure.

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

@JubilifeRival Yes, it's coming to North America. It was confirmed yesterday, I don't know why they haven't updated this yet...or why it wasn't mentioned in the first place...

3dcaleb

3dcaleb said:

yea i just saw on multiple websites that namco bandai announced it was for sure coming to NA this year but no release date yet. they should have an article up soon i would think. i cant wait its going to be so awesome!!!!!

RennanNT

RennanNT said:

@SKTTR No. The remake wasn't localized and was 3DS only.

This one plays the same way, but with a new story and changes in character design/moveset (as they are 2 years older now). Oh and there's 4 players local co-op.

NodesforNoids

NodesforNoids said:

Two huge pieces of anime related news: in addition to Europe / Australia getting physical copies, the 3DS will be getting a physical copy in the Americas as well!
And, in non-Nintendo news (but still anime related) Otomo's Short Peace anthology will release, this spring, in many territories! If you've yet to partake in Akira, do so now. When you're done, join me in anticipating this collection :)
Proof positive, ladies and gentlemen, the PS3 still has devs making better games than for the PS4.

Aaronzord

Aaronzord said:

@Melkac Don't be too optimistic. Ganbarion developed the Ultimate Cruise games too and they were boring as anything. At least this can't be any worse than Romance Dawn...

Arngrim

Arngrim said:

Yeeees, this is what i wanted when we got Romance Dawn instead. Getting this one for sure.

BulbasaurusRex

BulbasaurusRex said:

@Kaze_Memaryu Really? While I admit that Nami's wardrobe (or lack thereof) has crossed the line into disgustingly skimpy, I think she and Robin are now both quite a bit hotter than they were pre-timeskip.

Well, fishing and bug-catching sound boring, but I'll have to keep an eye on it to see if it turns out to be any good.

thelastgogeta

thelastgogeta said:

Glad to see all of you folks are interested, but as a importer of the original I have a few things to say. Even if some of you like @Aaronzord disliked the older Cruise games, this game is more streamlined in how you access bosses and more of the story even if I like it a lot less than the older Unlimited games (even if it is better than Romance Dawn) for a dozen reasons including the fact that they made fishing and bug catching more boring that @BulbasaurusRex could have even anticipated. >>

On that note, don't exist any costumes for Nami or Robin which AREN'T somewhat skimpy or decent options for them otherwise, even if they make the cut out DLC available, BulbasaurusRex.

@RennanNT

The remake (Unlimited Cruise SP) was localised, but just not in North America. >>

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

@BulbasaurusRex It's not because of their current designs - it's more about how their boob size constantly changed, sometimes increasing, sometimes decreasing. It's simply annoying to have characters with comparably good backstories and characterization to be changed in such pointless ways.
The new clothing for them is okay, but nothing to really complain about other than someone not liking it. I'm somewhat indifferent about that.

theBluntKnight

theBluntKnight said:

I'm glad they've decided to use cel shading for this one, it looks promising. I just wish for the western releases they had a subtitle option because I am a OP fan but I don't watch the dubbed version and I fear it may be a little jarring to have to get used to the american voices to play this game.

Hopefully they manage to get the action RPG gameplay to be fun whilst staying true to the source material.

turnmebackwards

turnmebackwards said:

How did I miss this news about a game coming out on the Wii U. Looks promising from the trailer might be worth picking up.

3dcaleb

3dcaleb said:

@Damo
gamestop is taking pre-orders for it now and says its coming on july 1st to NA. its $29.99 for 3ds. theyre also saying its coming to all the other systems that same day too. on 3ds and vita it comes with a pre-order bonus.