Club Nintendo in North America to Remove Post-Play Survey Coins for Wii and DS Games

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Sad face

Times keep on changing, and Nintendo is reminding gamers still rocking the Wii and DS that they should really consider an upgrade. There's the sledgehammer approach of disconnecting the Wi-Fi online multiplayer service on the systems, which is as loud a prompt as possible, but there are more subtle ways the message is being made. For those in North America that compulsively collect coins for Club Nintendo, for example, a small change will deprive them of some extra currency.

From 7th April onwards ten coins will no longer be awarded for post-play surveys on Wii and DS games, though the standard initial registration service will remain. Even Wii U and 3DS owners are getting a gentle prod in the back to stop procrastinating with the club, meanwhile, as after the same date there'll be a 30-day limit to complete post-play surveys after they're issued. Below is the official word from the Club Nintendo website, which says the exact same thing as we just have...

Starting on April 7, 2014, any newly registered Nintendo DS or Wii games (both retail and digital copies) will continue to receive product registration surveys, but no longer be eligible for 10-coin post-play surveys. In addition, starting on April 7, the deadline to complete newly earned post-play surveys for all games will be 30 days after they are issued.

So there you have it. If you're in North America and want to make the most of your coin earnings, you'll need to get a move on; any Wii and DS games still sitting around unregistered should be added without further delay. Oh Nintendo, you can be tough taskmasters.

Thanks to babyguess for the tip.

[via club.nintendo.com]

Rafie

Rafie said:

I can't be mad at that. Keep it Wii U and 3DS from this point on then.

Kodeen

Kodeen said:

Boo. I'm still hoarding VC games on my Wii, which is attached to the CRT.

MrCanzine

MrCanzine said:

Makes sense in a way, since post play surveys are meant to get opinions and such for use in possible improvements to games in future.
opinions on a 7 year old game may not be very useful in helping improve or innovate.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

I would rather lose 10 coins per game than adding those codes now that they won't count me towards Platinum, since I already reached it for this year.

Emblem

Emblem said:

@MrCanzine This.

In anycase i have 7000+ points and nothing i want is on club Nintendo except the Pikmin key rings i already have. I wish they had more stuff on there that wasn't Mario & co themed.

MegaAdam

MegaAdam said:

Does this apply to Virtual Console, WiiWare, and DSiWare purchases? Any chance you folks at Nintendo Life could reach out for clarification?

noctowl

noctowl said:

I just got my luigi's mansion statue, so I'm all out of coins.

I often forget about the post play surveys and rarely log in to club Nintendo. I guess that's gotta change

brewsky

brewsky said:

Well, looks like I'm going to have to break out my list of codes and enter in all the Wii and DS games.

rjejr

rjejr said:

"There's the sledgehammer approach of disconnecting the Wi-Fi online multiplayer service on the systems, which is as loud a prompt as possible, "

Rather than upgrade to Wii U, people could downgrade to the $99 Wii mini and not worry about losing online b/c it never had it in the first place, even though it ships w/ Mario Kart Wii. That bright red mini case looks like more of an upgrade from Wii than Wii U does. Maybe if the Wii U were Mario red w/ a Luigi green Gamepad it would have sold better.

http://www.target.com/p/nintendo-wii-red-mini-with-mario-kart-nintendo-wii/-/A-14957646#prodSlot=medium_1_0&term=wii mini

Blast

Blast said:

Oh come on... is this necessary? I understand the reasoning... but really?

CrazyOtto

CrazyOtto said:

I hope NOA finally discontinues the Wii and DSi this year, NOJ and NOE both did last year.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

@adamical

I guess it does because it says digital copies, and AFAIK you cannot download retail games in either Wii or DS, as that service started with 3DS.

Zobocop

Zobocop said:

A year after the Wii came out they stopped giving coins entirely for Gamecube games. This obviously isn't as bad.

Darknyht

Darknyht said:

They cannot discontinue the Wii while over half of the console display they get in retail still hold Wii Games in them. The sad reality is that old Wii games still seem to sell better than new(er) Wii U product.

Ryno

Ryno said:

Oh well. I'm almost platinum for the year and still have some Wii codes so I will save them for next year and lose the 10 post play coins.

bezerker99

bezerker99 said:

I agree! Out with the old ways of doing things. Wii U and 3DS is where it's at these days.

Galactus

Galactus said:

People still have Wii and DS codes sitting around? I guess people horde these things in hopes of being platinum each year. As a full on Nintendo collector I never had to care about that. I know I buy enough Nintendo product each year to make Platinum and then some.

Gioku

Gioku said:

I need to hurry up and find all my missing DS Club Nintendo codes I've got lying around somewhere...! :O

cusman

cusman said:

All your opinions are ours, except if you are still stuck on deprecated hardware.

WaLzgiStaff

WaLzgi said:

@adamical "Starting on April 7, 2014, any newly registered Nintendo DS or Wii games (both retail and digital copies)"

Unit_DTH

Unit_DTH said:

So, since they are shutting down the Wii servers, doesn't that mean that we won't be able to play any Wii game online even if we are playing them on the Wii U?! Isn't that kinda... counter productive? "We want you to upgrade! So, we are taking away the last vestige of fun you may have on our 'outdated' and 'discontinued' hardware! We love you... as long as you buy a Wii U and 3DS and get rid of those old Wiis and DSs!" Hmmmm, this type of thing is exactly what would make me want to buy your new console. I like being slapped in the face and then hit over the head with a frying pan! If I weren't an early adopter, this would not make me want to upgrade!

Dark-Link73

Dark-Link73 said:

Crap! I better get busy tonight! I probably have like 400 points or more of unregistered Wii/DS software. That's just the post play, it doesn't count the main registration points. :-(

GooRoo

GooRoo said:

I already had my Pokemon X post play removed. I registered it but hadn't had time to play yet.

noctowl

noctowl said:

@Unit_DTH I love how people say "slap in the face" every time there is a slight dislike of something.

I want Mario kart 8 on the "outdated" and "discontinued" hardware! Anything else is a slap in the face who bought and supported wii for 8 years! RAGE!

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@CrazyOtto Don't see what they lose by keeping the hardware available. (I want a DSi XL and will buy one - only difference is whether Nintendo gets any of the money or not).

Unit_DTH

Unit_DTH said:

@noctowl I didn't define how hard the slap is, or would be;) I think that what they have done, and the reason I have used that term, is really alienate their fan base that might upgrade from the Wii to the Wii U, or DS to 3DS. They have literally given every Wii owner an ultimatum and that seems really unfair to the consumer. Take into consideration, that maybe they don't have the money to buy a new console, or maybe they are happy with what they have and forcing them to do something, they aren't prepared to do, would dissuade them from continuing to support the company. I just think Nintendo is being a bit hasty in their recent choices. I also didn't notice that I was "RAGE"ing... perhaps you put your own internal inflection on my words there, sir?

noctowl

noctowl said:

@Unit_DTH haha fair enough. And I completely agree with you. Unfortunately, Nintendo is really good at alienating their customers.

I guess I like hard slaps in the face, because I keep buying their e-readers and gcn/gba link cables and all the other junk they realease then don't support.

Unit_DTH

Unit_DTH said:

@noctowl I feel the same way. You mean I can play a Zelda shooting game with this piece of plastic that holds both controllers?! Sign me up! No other games use it. A bathroom scale for a mere $90, where can I get one?! Oh right, I'm still lazy. lol
I love getting duped! ;)

MEKsLP

MEKsLP said:

Fair enough
So does this mean they will stop peddling DS and Wii games as rewards then as well? My point being that if you can't redeem those games anymore than you should stop sending out cheaper rewards by using the same outdated systems.

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

So does this mean this years platinum prizes will be bad and download games will be even more expensive as everyone rushes to build their coin horde with all these post play surveys.

@unrandomsam They have to have a factory making these and given the extremely low volume they will be putting out the parts will cost a lot more so it is not worth them getting your money.

@MEKsLP This reminds me, I don't think you can actually redeem DSiWare rewards on a DSi...

@Unit_DTH Gamespy provided the tech for Nintendo Wi-Fi connection. They recently got a new owner who likes to charge too much for services. Given Nintendo's current financial state it is not worth paying the Gamespy ransom. Given Nintendo network is wholly Nintendo made maybe they saw this coming. Also, Nintendo can see how many users are using the service. The wi-fi connection website used to have this info visible until early 2008 and even then all but the most popular games were becoming ghost towns outside of the weekend.

Unit_DTH

Unit_DTH said:

@Starwolf_UK Understandable, but my question remains. Will Wii games be able to use the Nintendo Network as the used the Nintendo Wi-Fi? i.e. trick the game into using Nintendo Network servers vs. using Nintendo Wi-Fi servers? I don't think there has been any clarification on this, but I'm not holding my breath for it.

Squid

Squid said:

Eh, no big deal. By the time I made a CN account I had already thrown away all of my CN codes for earlier games, not ever caring about what they were for, like an idiot.

However, I'll have to make sure I get a few Wii/DS games that are on my wishlist and play em soon.

OmegaStar

OmegaStar said:

@CrazyOtto It would be awesome if something like this happened- "Hey cousin, we're finally gonna get a Wii!" "Awesome! Now the kids can play online together...right?" Later... "Well, they didn't have a Wii, but they did have this thing called Wii U, it's got it's own special games, and it plays all the Wii games we got too!" And then next time they come over, they try out the Wii U, buy one, and spread the word! "This just in, Nintendo's been DOMINATING the gaming industry, with the iPad Wii selling more then PS4 and Xbox One! But let's face it, anything sells better then Xbox One!" And the entire newsroom cracked up. DE END

MikeLove

MikeLove said:

I've already stolen the Club Nintendo codes out of all my little cousin's Wii games anyway, so I don't care about this.

Mask0Gears

Mask0Gears said:

Interesting. If I plan on getting any DS games, I'll be sure to hurry up with the decision.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@Starwolf_UK Don't see why they cannot plan to keep a certain amount of stock. Make it all at once obviously. (Prior to shutting down). Goodwill is worth a lot and Nintendo is losing mine very quickly. (Probably took them 15 years to get to that point and they are eroding it faster and faster).

Panasonic will still sell me parts for stuff that is 10-15 years old which is why they are such a great company. (No tricks no trying to get me to buy something newer just here is where you can get the parts and they have all of them).

FJOJR

FJOJR said:

Must buy every DS game I've been putting off! In all seriousness it is time to transition to the next generation. Then again I do enjoy Wii, DS and VC games more than new ones since they come at a lower price.

millarrp

millarrp said:

It's unfortunate but I'm not really surprised. They really haven't been offering many new Wii titles lately so I won't loose sleep over the occasional post play survey.

copeland4

copeland4 said:

There wouldn't be a problem with getting things registered in a timely manner if Club Nintendo would allow anything over 600 coins to go towards the next calendar year's gold and platinum status. We have tons of games waiting to be registered because anything over 600 coins won't count for next year, and the truth is that the platinum reward is usually better than anything Club Nintendo regularly offers. Are you reading this, Nintendo? :P

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

Man, Nintendo is really pushing people to upgrade to a Wii U and 3DS.

KeatonTS

KeatonTS said:

Im already platinum =w= i have over 1100 coins, im ok with this, even ivf i didnt.

WiiWillRockU

WiiWillRockU said:

This won't convince me to drop $300 on a new console. I just won't play the 6 year old console that I currently own as much.

BulbasaurusRex

BulbasaurusRex said:

Sigh. Well, at least I was already planning on splurging on some of my Wishlist backlog in order to hit Platinum by the end of June. This just pushes up the timetable and affects my selection.

NodesforNoids

NodesforNoids said:

Wii VC games don't give coins on Wii U. Wii Mini looked great (the sleek red coupled with the rough black and those gorgeous accessories!) but the missing Wi Fi didn't put me off as much as the lack of GC support.
I've got my old purple box (4 controllers, S-video and a spare box) and twice as many 'cube games as Wii U and Wii combined. And I'm always looking for more 'cube titles!
Baten Kaitos 2 and a fresh copy of Fire Emblem would be nice, as would a copy of Skies of Arcadia.

Starzsixty9

Starzsixty9 said:

So I do have old surveys I have waiting to take in my club nintendo "to do" list, I was going to save them until July to help boost my 2015 points towards platinum... does this mean if I don't fill them out before april 7th they will be taken away? Or am I "grandfathered in" because I already registered the game, just not finished the post play survey?

WaLzgiStaff

WaLzgi said:

@Unit_DTH No. You will not be able to play ANY Wii or DS games online after May, even on the newer systems. Also, to clarify, online stores and video streaming services are not affected.

Also, most of the games losing online have been out for several years (only major exception being Black and White 2) and most of them have newer games on the new systems. So you have two choices: play online with the new games and systems or don't play online as well. You weren't paying for the online for said games, so you really can't complain about it.

MAN1AC

MAN1AC said:

This and a few of their other moves makes Nintendo's decision to have BC hardware kind of weird.

Windy

Windy said:

Its a bummer all this is happening when so many people still play those formats. Its the end of two wonderful classics. Imnot ready to box mine up just yet and put in the garage.

WaLzgiStaff

WaLzgi said:

@MAN1AC You have to realize they haven't released codes for Club Nintendo for a few years now. I believe the last big Wii game in 2012 and DS in 2011/12.

Kitsune_Rei

Kitsune_Rei said:

I mostly don't like the shortening of the survey period- sometimes it takes me more than a month to really put time into a new game, or I want to finish the game I was playing before first. I guess I need to wait to register it until I'm really playing it, but you get those bonus coins for certain new games only if you do it right away.

Blue-Thunder

Blue-Thunder said:

I bought my Wii on day one and I'm not about to stop playing it any time soon. I'm playing it more now than I ever did.

It's my PS3 and Wii U that are gathering dust.

DualWielding

DualWielding said:

I'm fine with them removing the surveys but they also need to stop giving DSiWare and Wii VC as rewards, they need to give 3DSWare and Wii U VC since those are the current consoles