Mythical Pokémon Diancie Confirmed for X & Y

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

New trailer, screens and concept art revealed

Earlier this week CoroCoro Magazine revealed a new Rock/Fairy-type Pokémon called Diancie, confirming that it was #719 in the Pokédex and would appear in upcoming movie The Cocoon of Destruction and Diancie. Leaked screens from last year made it likely the character would therefore also be distributed in Pokémon X & Y; it's since been confirmed the 'mon will be available as a serial code in the April edition of CoroCoro Magazine in Japan.

But what of the West? The Pokémon Company has now issued a press release to confirm that Diancie will become available in the latest titles, with some assets and a flashy trailer to prove the point. Here's what the company had to say:

The Pokémon Company International revealed a newly discovered Pokémon from the Pokémon X and Pokémon Y video games, Rock- and Fairy-type Pokémon, Diancie! Diancie is an extremely rare Mythical Pokémon, a special Pokémon that cannot be found during normal gameplay. Known to boast the greatest beauty in all the world, Diancie’s body glitters pink, captivating the hearts of many. During battle, Diancie can produce a great volume of diamonds instantaneously by compressing air between its hands. It uses these diamonds to attack enemies and protect itself.

Distribution details for this 'mon will be revealed at a later date; you can see the trailer and images above and below. Are you looking forward to adding Diancie to your collection?

Marakuto

Marakuto said:

It looks like we'll finally be able to go to a hidden location and battle it.

SirQuincealot

SirQuincealot said:

obviously you are going to have to shell out to see the movie for this one, ehtier that or go to the theatre and just grab it there, or if you are like me, you can just trade for it on the global trade

MixMasterMudkip

MixMasterMudkip said:

I'm sure this will be a Wi-Fi event. The movies only really premiere on CartoonNetwork. They aren't ever put in theaters, anymore.

WingedSnagret

WingedSnagret said:

Eh, just looks like an evolved Carbink if you ask me.

I'm more looking forward to the Water/Fire legendary.

Knuckles

Knuckles said:

I need to have it, not for use at all, but to join my other legendaries. I have them all, so as soon as this Legendary comes out, no more complete collection.

Trikeboy

Trikeboy said:

Hopefully it unlocks a new sidequest to go find it. There are plenty locations on that map where you can go visit.

JellySplat

JellySplat said:

of course! This reminds me of that Jirachi you get from the pkmn colloseum bonus disc. those were the days...

DracioKoi

DracioKoi said:

I can't even get hyped about this trailer because "someone" thought it was good idea to leak and spoil pokemon that were meant to be a surprise to the public. ಠ_ಠ

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

Yay! Finally a new legendary I want to own!

@DracioKoi Yeah, it was kinda uncalled for, but on the other hand we at least know there's some stuff to look forward to.

ultraraichu

ultraraichu said:

I was thinking that whole evolution of Carbink too. My two cents is that it can evolve to Diancle with a special item or it's like Manaphy with Phione.
One way or the next, I know there's a link between the two.

FlameTaJaDoru

FlameTaJaDoru said:

Please mystery gift... Please mystery gift... Please mystery gift... Please mystery gift... Please mystery gift...

MegaBeedrill

MegaBeedrill said:

This better not be one of those "Go somewhere on the opposite side of the planet" type things.. I hope it's mystery gift.

jeb_leeds

jeb_leeds said:

This is why my friends laugh at me when I ask them to get pokemon. Not making the argument any better Diancie!

Alpha2797

Alpha2797 said:

Has anyone else checked the pokedex entry for Diancie? Looks like it's an evolution of Carbink. I'm glad that carbink evolves! YES!

Arcamenel

Arcamenel said:

It's not a legendary according to the official site. They gave it a separate category as a "mythical pokemon". It's dex entry says it mutates from carbink and how many legendaries do you know to mutant from a regular pokemon? Phione can be bred from Manaphy but doesn't evolve into it.

Pinecallado

Pinecallado said:

@DracioKoi I hope they put tighter security in the next game. I was excited about the fact that hidden pokemon would finally be hidden until info about them was officially revealed :(

Trikeboy

Trikeboy said:

@Arcamenel A popular theory is that Entei, Suicune and Raikou were originally Flareon, Vaporeon and Jolteon that died when the Brass Tower burned down. When Ho-Oh worked it's magic, they became an entirely new species. That is kinda like mutating from ordinary Pokemon.

Squid

Squid said:

I can see they probably timed this right after PokeBank was released everywhere, trying to get people playing the game again.

It's also really interesting why they've called this one "Mythical" instead of Legendary, so maybe it's a new category that's in-between regular and Legendary?

FrostFlare

FrostFlare said:

@WingedSnagret Exactly. Diancie seems so unoriginal! But honestly, I wouldn't mind if it was. This could be the generation that allows us to breed Mythical Pokémon!

KiwiPanda

KiwiPanda said:

I don't think Carbink has any relationship to Diancie in an evolutionary line... the former is just part of Diancie's kind of "history," I guess (As in, a story that any Pokemon with a movie would have). 50/225/225 defenses on Carbink would be absolutely crazy, especially considering I already find Carbink with usable and fun sets. :P

Since Diancie is obviously similar to Carbink, I'd say it's stats will be likewise as well along with a noticeable increases for either both or one attack stats. Cresselia... ish?

Franklin

Franklin said:

I think this one's alright, but it is clear after Zygarde that they're running out of ideas generally.

BlatantlyHeroic

BlatantlyHeroic said:

@ChoppedLiver Not at all. Zygarde is unique. Just because it doesn't appeal to YOUR design likes and dislikes doesn't mean that they're running out of ideas. It just means that your nostalgia clouds your judgement.

DarkNinja9

DarkNinja9 said:

yeah this is hard to get all hyped about when it has been leaked months ago now... i still want my dragon eevee D= and new megas dammit

but why details later? just release it and move on to the next...same with mega latios/latias

BulbasaurusRex

BulbasaurusRex said:

This thing has got to know Power Gem.

Anyway, the Pokédex entry makes it clear that it only "evolved" from Carbink in the traditional sense (in the same way Shellder is part of Slowbro and Slowking despite not sharing an evolutionary line), not the Pokémon sense.

JellySplat

JellySplat said:

It looks so much like Carbink... Do you think that has anything to do with the Movie?

Kitsune_Rei

Kitsune_Rei said:

Wow, its pretty weird. This is seriously the best they could come up with for a rock/fairy? The top part isn't bad, but the bottom is just a chunk of rock? I hope it has another appearance/form.

biglittlejake

biglittlejake said:

If you would have told me of Pokemon like this 15 years ago when I was playing Red I would have thought you were crazy.