Here Are Some Monstrous eShop Discounts for North America

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Monster Hunter! Scribblenauts! Bomb Monkey!

We've already had today's Nintendo Download update for North America, which included a tasty discount on the excellent Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl. But wait, there's more! Some of you kindly pointed out that there are extra discounts available, and as Nintendo's official update didn't provide details we sent our own American agent — Tim Latshaw — undercover on the eShop to discover the truth; to be more accurate, he simply logged in and confirmed prices.

Below are some additional discounts that can be found on the North American eShop stores right now.

Wii U eShop Retail Discounts

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (Capcom, $39.99, previously $59.99)

Scribblenauts Unmasked: A DC Comics Adventure (WB Games, $39.99, previously $59.99)

Scribblenauts Unlimited (Warner Bros., $19.99, previously $59.99)

Permanent 3DS eShop Discount

Bomb Monkey (Renegade Kid, $2.99, previously $4.99)

3DS eShop Retail Discounts

Scribblenauts Unmasked: A DC Comics Adventure (Warner Bros., $19.99, previously $39.99)

Scribblenauts Unlimited (Warner Bros., $19.99, previously $39.99)

In the cases of the retail download discounts, these appear to be permanent reductions as the eShop isn't specifying end dates; these new prices are also on the official Nintendo game pages.

There are some excellent games here, so will any of these fresh prices be clearing out your eShop funds?

Zero_Revolution

Zero_Revolution said:

I was planning to get Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate soon anyway, this is probably a good chance to do that.

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

Go buy Monster Hunter Tri Ultimate on Wii U and play with us online! It is a blast and provides 100s of hours of enjoyment.

ejamer

ejamer said:

Ooh... I've had my eye on the Wii U version of Scribblenauts Unlimited for a while. Would still prefer a physical copy, but the $20 price point is very appealing.

Azikira

Azikira said:

Now just lower the price of Need for Speed Most Wanted to $19.99 (same as retail) and we will talk, Nintendo~

ultraraichu

ultraraichu said:

Been wanting to try an Scribblenauts console game for over an year. I guess now is the perfect time. I just wonder which one to get, the latest or the cheapest?

XFsWorld

XFsWorld said:

@ultraraichu Well I'm getting Unlimited :P You can get Unmasked for your DC goodness. Edit: Also I heard Unlimited (WiiU version) has some type of Nintendo content in it.

Hey I'm not at home right now, can anyone tell me how long Scribblenauts Unlimited will be dicounted?

gaby_gabito

gaby_gabito said:

I just bought my Scribblenauts Unlimited download on Wii U for $20. Am I just lucky or is there a typeo on the post?

SkywardCrowbar

SkywardCrowbar said:

If Monster Hunter 3 is still only $39.99 at Gamestop, then I'll get the hard copy, if not, I'll finally get a major release on the eShop. I might pick up Bomb Monkey as well.

Also, Scribblenauts Unlimited for $19.99 is a great deal. That's an awesome game, and it's best on Wii U.

TrueWiiMaster

TrueWiiMaster said:

Rage of the Gladiator is also on sale for $3.49 on the 3DS. It's probably the only one I'm going to get.

Jstar269

Jstar269 said:

Bomb Monkey looks like a great game, so I might get that.
I got Unlimited on 3DS for 12.99, but seeing the Wii U has some things cool things to do, I may cross buy eventually.

ikki5

ikki5 said:

I got MH3 for $29.99 when it was on that 3 day sale though I wish I had money for Scribblenauts unlimited.

RetroRider

RetroRider said:

This would be a nice time to do a 3DS Scribblenauts Unlimited review. Tempting to get it now after being an extreme fan of the series, and DC for that matter.

Gioku

Gioku said:

@TrueWiiMaster Oh wow, that game just ended up totally slipping my radar... I somehow missed the review and everything! ...I think I'd rather get that one than Bomb Monkey, actually. :)

warlocknem

warlocknem said:

Is there a huge difference between both versions of Scribblenauts Unlimited that would justify rebuying the game for Wii U? We already have a copy that's been floating around the household from person to person for the 3DS.

freaksloan

freaksloan said:

I just bought Scribblenauts Unmasked: A DC Comics Adventure for 3DS used from Amazon.
I want Scribblenauts Unlimited for the Wii U, but I can get a physical copy on Amazon for $19.99.
I am gonna get Bomb Monkey.

Metal_Slugger

Metal_Slugger said:

I paid full retail for MH3U don't regret it one bit. The sales are great hopefully it will bring in some new hunters.

PrincessEevee9

PrincessEevee9 said:

Hoping these prices aren't just for eShop only I'll be darned if I buy Monster Hunter Ultimate as a digital copy.

Metal_Slugger

Metal_Slugger said:

^^ I kind of wish I did. Got about a thousand hours in and I am thinking is this poor drive gonna work for the Nintendo games when they come out. LOL

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@PrincessEevee9 Is Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (WiiU) not set like the Wii one where by it becomes basically worthless after a period of time. (After which you have a box and a game that cannot be played properly. I know the 3DS version has all the content in the game.)

Aran

Aran said:

I just entered the eshop, and Scribblenauts is full price, I can only see MH3U for Wii U on discount. I'll check it later.

ejamer

ejamer said:

Rage of the Gladiator for $3.50 on the 3DS eShop? That's a fantastic price for a great game. Anyone who enjoys Punch-Out!! should give this game a shot.

2Sang

2Sang said:

I'll almost certainly pick up bomb monkey within the next year then. These price drops makes up for the shoddy week we got in NA this week.

Agent721

Agent721 said:

Tried scribblenauts last year. It's a cute game, but rather shallow in the long run. To me, it's great for kids but boring for adults. I did about 2/3 of it & was tremendously bored at the end, as it was way too easy. It's definitely not for everyone, despite the high praise.

Anguspuss

Anguspuss said:

damn you americans. Surely the EU & US Eshops could be the same. Seeing as PAL/NTSC is now away to the history books there is no need for the eshop to be different.

Ernest_The_Crab

Ernest_The_Crab said:

@unrandomsam You mean when they stopped hosting the events?

The Wii U and 3DS ones don't work that way. They instead have the event quests available for download, which then stay permanently in your game.

Both versions mark the return of G rank in the series (it's been awhile, the last game that had G-rank was Monster Hunter Freedom Unite). The major differences between the 2 versions are that the Wii U version has online multiplayer and better visuals (plus built in dual sticks if you need it) while the 3DS version has Streetpass functionality for guild cards (guild cards are also available for the Wii U version but need to be sent manually instead, though transferring over your 3DS data to Wii U will carry over any guild cards you already got from Streetpass, also vice versa from online guild cards if you transfer from Wii U to 3DS).

DualWielding

DualWielding said:

This is decent but far from what I would call monstrous, Nintendo eshop has by far the worst prices, and never have any real amazing sales... Forget about Steam, even the Playstation and Xbox stores kill it on prices, especially when you consider the lack of account system which mean Nintendo digital games offer less value (only playable on one system, risk losing them if something happen to your system) they should cost much less to make up for that but still they cost more

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@Ernest_The_Crab I was lead to believe that the Wii version now is basically useless now because Capcom doesn't run the servers any more. (And most of the game was there). This is ages ago. What happens if you lose the data (Have to switch Wii U's or something). I am not into getting games where factors out of my control can stop me in the future being able to play it.

zionich

zionich said:

@unrandomsam
The reason monster hunter tri was worthless after server down was half the content was online only.

This i not the case in mh3u. You can get all the online content in the offline multi or solo port mode by talking to niko I think the feylens name was.

Dauntless

Dauntless said:

Scribblenauts retail disc is already available for $39.99 & $19.99 in Canada. I would rather get that instead of the download.

Arrowjack

Arrowjack said:

monster hunter is a bad donkey game. my nintendo id is: Conscience add me if you wanna hunt together. i play daily
Please watch the profanity — TBD

DarkEdi

DarkEdi said:

Here in Mexico the stores never give discounts, you can find SM Galaxy 2 or Skyward Sword at $78 dlls aprox in this days (like mil pesos). It is a steal.

Platypus101

Platypus101 said:

@willobee remember the UK sale?! If this was "monstrous" the UK sale was the "juggernaut"! Seeing as it was nearly 60% off! That's what we need in the States DEEP discount sales... Not 20$ off of a Wii-port game that is already coming out with a sequel :(

Olmectron

Olmectron said:

@DarkEdi That's so true (I'm from México). That's why I always buy digital un the USA eShop. It's always way cheaper tan un the retail stores.

Ernest_The_Crab

Ernest_The_Crab said:

@unrandomsam As @ zionich said, the offline multi-port exists on the Wii U version as well. EVERYTHING in the 3DS version is in the Wii U version of the game, just no streetpass (for obvious reasons) and with improved graphics + online play.

In the case you lose your Wii U, the same thing would occur if you lost your 3DS. That's why I backup my data to an SD card and a hard drive (the 3DS only has one of those 2 options).

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@zionich @Ernest_The_Crab Thanks. I am surprised Capcom didn't give themselves some sort of kill switch. (Cannot start a new game without data from the server is the kind of thing that they would go for judging by past actions).

KeatonTS

KeatonTS said:

Never played scribblenauts, but im going to take advantage of this discount and get it for 3DS instead of Wii U and try it out.

UnseatingKDawg

UnseatingKDawg said:

All I'm asking for is Super Mario Bros. 3. Surely if they could put discounts down, they could put the NES game on the eShop.

Of course, I'm wrong.