Miiverse Update Allows Activity Feed Posts Outside of Communities

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

It's MiiTwitter

We've compared Miiverse to Twitter — as well as other social networks — a few times in the past, but a subtle update seems to have expanded the bespoke network to something even closer to the ever-present tweeting medium. You can now post comments on anything you want, within the Miiverse rules, on your Activity Feed without tying it to a game community.

This will certainly place far greater emphasis on general socialising on the network, and makes use of the "follow" option. Even if someone's friend list is full, it's possible to follow them so that their posts appear on your Activity Feed, and this new feature taps into that in its most notable sense. Nintendo's made clear statements to shareholders and in its financial reports that Miiverse is a major part of brand awareness strategy, and this is the latest step to open it up to greater use — recent updates have brought us the browser-based version (https://miiverse.nintendo.net/), lengthened message character limits and added share buttons for the likes of Twitter and Facebook.

Images of a sample post are below.

This Activity Feed posting update could be good for exchanging jokes or messages more directly with friends and followers, though it's fair to question whether it'll be utilised a great deal with other networking behemoths available. As we've argued before, however, the power of Miiverse is the knowledge that all participants are Nintendo gamers, giving the community its own vibe — we'd also expect this usage to expand once the 3DS userbase gets in on the action, which should happen "soon".

What do you think of this? Is it a feature you plan to use regularly?

SuperCharlie78

SuperCharlie78 said:

"the power of Miiverse is the knowledge that all participants are Nintendo gamers"
Miiverse is great for this very reason

Prof_Clayton

Prof_Clayton said:

Wow :o
It really is a Nintendo version of twitter now.
I hope the 3DS Miiverse has all of this as well, which it should, but this is Nintendo. :p

TheAdza

TheAdza said:

There have been times I needed an outburst on Miiverse but had nowhere to put it. Now I do. Thanks Nintendo!

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

Shoudn't the equation be Miiverse = Ninty Twitter + Hooray?
I don't think the hooray is subtracted in the miiverse equation.

Cool update.

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

@X-Factor 1) If you don't care, don't waste time posting.
2) If you want Miiverse on 3DS, then you SHOULD care, because this feature will be on the 3DS version as well.
3) The 3DS Miiverse update is coming in late October after release of Pokemon. This has already been stated. Read.

wasf

wasf said:

YES! posted already! as far as im not on facebook neither twitter, this is my right place to be! XD

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

"The power of Miiverse is the knowledge that all participants are Nintendo gamers,"
And this is why Miiverse is the best feature of the Wii U. Never before have we had the opportunity to share thoughts, frustrations, and hopes on games so openly with other Nintendo fans, and we get to make wonderful drawings as well. It's already a winner, but updates like this just make it even better.

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

@XCWarrior Miiverse = Twitter was the formula, that was meant to be a hyphen, not a subtraction.

Can't believe I just wrote that... :P

maneauleau

maneauleau said:

I don't know why but I don't see the "sharing to other social network" buttons on my web miiverse, is it a setting to activate or something?

snoox

snoox said:

I would like the option to toggle off friends & maybe community posts in the activity feed. I wanna follow rilly good artists & not have the art flooded out by millions of friends posts in activity feed.

daznsaz

daznsaz said:

i dont use fb or twitter,just got bored and stopped.love miiverse though cos were all gamers

IKAY

IKAY said:

I guess they can only be viewed by friends, followers and people watching your profile. They should be added automaticly to a "Non specific Community"-Community.

Araknie

Araknie said:

This is surely because it's coming on the 3DS, they won't have groups on that but just a more loose/free community that posts whatevs to other Nintendo gamers.

Sounds great already.

DiSTANToblivion

DiSTANToblivion said:

Miiverse really is one of the best things about Wii U. I use it more than both Facebook and Twitter combined as it's much more interesting, with more like-minded people.

Marshi

Marshi said:

This would be amazing if my console hadnt been banned from miiverse for no reason...

DarkNinja9

DarkNinja9 said:

at first i was like wtf? i dont follow i keep scrolling down and im like "OH" but seems interesting :o im off to try this xD

DarkNinja9

DarkNinja9 said:

wish they would update the activity feed to load faster and actually load all the post seems some dont load at times i have to refresh or is it just me? >.< double post eh

Nintenjoe64

Nintenjoe64 said:

The Miiverse is great but it needs a full makeover to keep people looking at the older communities. It would be nice if you could walk around it as your Mii and walk past the Miis for each community and dish out some 'yeahs' etc.

galetyler

galetyler said:

@Nintenjoe64 That's when you kinda "Star" the communities that you frequent or own the games that's what I do at least so they show up under "favorite" communities and I haven't run into your issue since they are all right their and I don't need to so sift through the hundreds of shovel ware title communities :p

Nintenjoe64

Nintenjoe64 said:

@galetyler I find it a bit uninspiring to have to click on the communities. I only look at the new releases. If all the communities were displayed on the plaza and I could walk my Mii around the whole Miiverse I'd spend more time checking out the artwork and maybe even offering my opinion on the games I had bought.

At the moment my favourite Miiverse feature is taking snapshots of completing VC games.

jayclayx

jayclayx said:

I would love to have a 3d world miiverse, an avatar in a virtual world interacting with other users ala animal crossing but this idea was taken by sony some years ago so its really unlikely to see something similar on WII U

Rafie

Rafie said:

@jayclayx Nothing wrong with Nintendo making a Miiverse world. It isn't Sony's patent or anything. The PC has platforms that allows you avatar to meet others. I wouldn't object to Nintendo doing this. This can make things even more interesting for the Wii U.

gatorboi352

gatorboi352 said:

I was just wondering when they were going to create a "General Discussion" Community on Miiverse for this very thing. This solves that problem!

GiftedGimp

GiftedGimp said:

Its going to be usefull to arrange game nights with freinds. Instead of send a message to each freind one post in the activity feed and everyone will see what your trying to arrange.

ToastyYogurt

ToastyYogurt said:

Does this mean that the Youtube App Community will stop being the "Post Everything" community?

c1pher_c0mplet

c1pher_c0mplet said:

Gaahhh... Just give us 3DS Miiverse already!!! If Nintendo does it right, Miiverse for 3DS will be B-I-G!!

Off-topic => I can't stand immature users on Swapnote. I had to delete this grown man off my Friends List today because of his totally inappropriate and offensive notes. Last week, he sent out a note that likely would've given any Jewish person a heart attack. And then today, he sent out another one where he drew a picture of the burning Twin Towers and wrote "Happy Tower Day!" ??? What a loser... some people...

edcomics

edcomics said:

This is a good move. I remember people asking for this on Miiverse on Day One.

3dbrains

3dbrains said:

This should have been possible from the start. Definately the best Miiverse update so far.
Can't wait to see what the big WiiU update brings in a couple of weeks!