3DS Hardware Sales Continue to Rise in Japan, Wii U Numbers Drop Again

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Counting the days to The Wind Waker HD?

Wednesday is Media Create charts day in Japan, which often means more pleasing 3DS news. As we've become familiar with, however, it often means the opposite for the Wii U.

In terms of the software chart this week, there are no notable new releases on Nintendo hardware, meaning that some evergreen titles on 3DS, and Taiko Drum Master Wii Super Wonderful Version on the Wii, make up top 20 representation for the systems; lifetime sales are in parethesis.

1. [PSP] Uta no Prince-sama: Music 2 – 68,415 (New)
2. [PS3] Splinter Cell: Blacklist – 22,425 (New)
3. [PS3] JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure: All Star Battle – 19,720 (445,437)
4. [PS3] Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate – 18,625 (New)
5. [PS3] Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn – 12,336 (196,354)
6. [3DS] Tomodachi Collection: New Life – 11,814 (1,420,996)
7. [3DS] Mario & Luigi: Dream Team – 11,466 (293,166)
8. [PSV] Killzone: Mercenary – 11,053 (New)
9. [3DS] Disney Magic Castle: My Happy Life – 10,740 (255,309)
10. [3DS] Youkai Watch – 9,539 (164,230)
11. [PSV] Ragnarok Odyssey Ace – 9,383 (41,005)
12. [PS3] Puppeteer – 9,800 (New)
13. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf – 7,653 (3,402,742)
14. [3DS] Luigi’s Mansion: Dark Moon – 6,010 (891,248)
15. [PS3] Lost Planet 3 – 5,516 (33,019)
16. [PSP] Shirahana no Ori: Hiiro no Kakera 4 – 5,348 (New)
17. [360] Splinter Cell: Blacklist – 5,109 (New)
18. [360] Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate – 4,862 (New)
19. [3DS] Mario Kart 7 – 4,260 (2,116,096)
20. [Wii] Taiko Drum Master Wii Super Wonderful Version – 3,717 (556,290)

From a hardware perspective 3DS sales rose for both the standard and XL models, taking their impressive standard figures even further. The Wii U number decreased once again — a trend matched by every other system that isn't called 3DS — with the console seemingly in limbo as it awaits potential saviours such as The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD and a number of titles to follow. Last week's sales are in parenthesis.

3DS LL – 60,077 (49,149)
3DS – 19,114 (17,873)
PlayStation 3 – 13,790 (20,090)
PlayStation Vita – 7,314 (8,405)
Wii U – 5,702 (6,741)
PSP – 5,493 (6,218)
Wii – 978 (1,141)
Xbox 360 – 201 (177)

The 3DS continues to perform admirably in Japan, which will surely only continue with the hugely anticipated Pokémon X & Y and accompanying 2DS. Major first-party releases and, perhaps, Taiko Drum Master Wii U Version will aim to boost Nintendo's home console in the Land of the Rising Sun.

[via gematsu.com]

Guitardude7

Guitardude7 said:

I think the slow Wii U sales during this time period are no surprise. They're waiting until that price cut hits along with that Zelda bundle and other exclusives such as Sonic Lost World. I expected this period to be slow sales due to the anticipation of the price cut.

ferrers405

ferrers405 said:

Incredible. 3DS sell very well even without new games while Vita even with Killzone goes down...

Kifa

Kifa said:

@ferrers405 I'd imagine that Killzone franchise is not very popular in Japan, so it won't do any good to Vita there.

I'm curious to see where those numbers will go on the Pokemon X/Y launch day... ;) Also the Wii U is really in a poor spot, being still outsold by Vita. Games need to happen soon.

AG_Systems

AG_Systems said:

Where is Wii Sports HD? Surely this would boost sales. I even think a move to f2p would be welcome, allowing me to buy my favorite sport, golf, then go mad on extra courses as dlc.

riku03

riku03 said:

We can expect Monster Hunter 4 to be very high next week in Japan (excluding eShop numbers). So 3DS sales may well go up too!

Yosher

Yosher said:

Yeah, the low sales aren't surprising for the Wii U seeing as how the price cut has been announced recently. Let's see what the figures will be after the price drops! Good to see the 3DS still going strong though!

ferrers405

ferrers405 said:

@Kifa Yeah. Shooters don't go well in Japan and don't forget that before Pokemon we have MH4 in Japan, i think next week, that will sell a lot.

Frapp

Frapp said:

NIntendo's need to consolidate their next home and handheld systems into one looks more necessary than ever. Japan is certainly falling out of love with home consoles. :(

Shambo

Shambo said:

There's a price cut AND a limited Wind Waker Wii U coming. I'm surprised by any number higher than zero between announcing the price cut and actually doing it. Price cuts should be effective immediately after announcement.

@Frapp You mean like if the next handheld were the official controller for their next home console? Like, if the Gamepad had a cart slot and could be taken anywhere, or be used at home as a controller for a disc-loaded system? Sounds expensive at entry, but awesome indeed.

Nintenjoe64

Nintenjoe64 said:

@shambo I was wondering (when they announced that they are merging their two hardware divisions) if their next console would be a second gamepad for Wii U and a standalone handheld combined

RedRocBoy

RedRocBoy said:

Wonder why any of the more Japanese centric games haven't made their way to the Wii U. I definitely know if the Wii U had exclusive entries to some of those franchises would it boost sales.

Angelic_Lapras_King

Angelic_Lapras_King said:

Apparently, Amazon.jp have already sold out of preorders for the Vita TV device. This could be a real big game changer for the Vita...

Senario

Senario said:

@ScroogeMcLz What this guy said. That said...Japan has been moving away from home consoles gradually and handhelds are a big thing there. Although without monster hunter the vita will continue to struggle imo.

Kirk

Kirk said:

3DS - doing great (and this is even before the 2DS and Pokemon X & Y launches).

Wii U - flopping (random text in here makes no difference).

DarkKirby

DarkKirby said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the 3DS doing better and the Wii U doing worse is the situation for the planet, not just Japan.

withoutdk

withoutdk said:

hey nintendo.. i have an idea... how about making some ads for the wii u... for showing in television and such...

jayclayx

jayclayx said:

@Kifa what worries me is that nor pikmin 3, w101 were able to remain on this list for long, I mean people in Japan are still buying games for the psp instead of the "big" wii U releases. It is clearly that the kickdonkey game still not arrive yet for the wii U to sell massively.

Flashman

Flashman said:

Lets be honest the sales are appalling everywhere not just in Japan & whilst I don't want to sound defeatist, I honestly don't think the list of titles coming out over winter will make much difference. I admit it might lift sales short term I can't see Wii U standing up to PS4 & Xbox One.

jayclayx

jayclayx said:

I just wonder why many people here are saying the home console market in Japan is declining so what about the ps3 sofware sales? for an old console its doing pretty well.

ferrers405

ferrers405 said:

@Savino concordo contigo, Vita TV vai vender muito mais ainda no Japão, só aqui no Brasil , Europa ou EUA não sei se vai vender muito bem...

Volke93

Volke93 said:

I can't wait to see next week results. With MH4 the 3DS will sell very much and then next month Pokemon X/Y will give the decisive blow.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

Good thing the news of the 2ds hurt 3ds sales! ;-)

Oh and I don't think Wind Waker Wii U will be that big of an impact in Japan. Its not new just new looking and Zelda doesn't sell as well in Japan as it does in the west!

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

Don't think the Zelda remake will make much difference to Jap Wii U sales. (The actual brand new Zelda is a different story. Not uncommon for loads to sell in a day for games they want).

rjejr

rjejr said:

@Savino @Senario - "Japan has been moving away from home consoles gradually and handhelds are a big thing there."
"In other hand, Vita TV already sold out!"

I still don't quite understand how something that lets the Japanese play Vita games on their tv is sold out. Well besides that it's a new electronics gadget at a cheap price sold in Japan.

Will the 2DS, "New Vita" and Vita TV all have separate listings? Sony can make their Vita sales look good if they combine all 3. (Still can't find out if the old Vita is being discontinued or not.)

I hope the Wii U does better next spring after PS4 comes out. And whenever X1 hits Japan. Would be a really good time to release Mario Kart 8 and announce a summer date for SSB.

If the Japanase don't have a Wii U yet what reason has there been for them to buy 1? That drum game is still on the Wii, and Animal Crossing and Tomodachi are on the 3DS.

It is disturbing that a 10 month old system can't get even 1 game in the top 20 though. It's like the thing doesn't even exist. Whoever thought Nintendo Land was a good replacement for Wii Sports should be fired.

Snkfiend

Snkfiend said:

@jayclayx The point is Japan is Pro Sony nation if they like or not nothing going to change that, but the half of the population of Japan though is more popular on software devices and arcades which still populate all over Japan so that could be a good reason too.

NintendoMonkey

NintendoMonkey said:

Did you guys know the sky is blue?

A HD remake of a cube game wont help the Wii U sell. But in late 2013 and 2014, the sales will obviously rise for both Wii U and 3DS.

HP_3

HP_3 said:

Where's Splinter Cell: Blacklist for Wii U? Did it sell less than the 360 version?

Shambo

Shambo said:

@Nintenjoe64 That would be a move of utter brilliance, if done right. A new Game Boy that seconds as a second gamepad, and that can share certain games for local multiplayer with Wii U gamepad.

Caryslan

Caryslan said:

What's funny is that the PSP has the best selling game of this week. Over in Japan, the PSP just won't die. At this rate, the PSP might make it to the 10-year cycle that Sony shoots for with their systems.

Savino

Savino said:

@rjejr i think a loooooot of japanese want a vita but still hasnt a true reason to buy one! Now that's a cheaper version is out many of them wouldn't mind to spend some money to see what the heck is all about! We will see down the line if it's a blast or just a fad that some people bought for curiosity!

@ferrers405 Vita TV will explode here in latin america!! (Let's keep the site in english so everybody can take part)

It's a "New PlayStation Console", it will be very cheap and it will run PES and FIFA... Profit!!!

AdanVC

AdanVC said:

Nintendo... Just make a new huge marketing campaign for Wii U announcing all the big upcoming games, don't show people playing with Wii Remotes at all on those ads, repeat that this is a brand new console... and you will have saved this console and would sell properly. Wii U is just a great console but I hate how awful the marketing is doing to promove it.

ferrers405

ferrers405 said:

@Savino yeah, PES/Fifa is a huge difference to sell here in Brazil, COD sell well too, but think for one moment Vita Tv will be here let's say $ 200-250, with this price i almost buy a PS3 in parallel market, almost...

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

Jesus Christ, the 3DS sold SIX FREAKING TIMES as much as the second place. Talk about complete and utter domination.

AdanVC

AdanVC said:

@ricklongo I knowww. 2013 should be the year of the 3DS instead of the year of Luigi, haha. 3DS sold 60,000 units and it's main competitor, Vita, just around 7,000... that's insane!

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

I had no idea Blacklist would be so popular in Japan. And sad that the Wii U version is not there.

Dark_Link

Dark_Link said:

@sinalefa the Wii U version of Splinter Cell is selling horribly in all regions. I'm sure Ubisoft is not too pleased about that.

Pachterkid

Pachterkid said:

I think it's pretty sad that a port of a 10 year old game is supposed to spark a boost in console sales, price drop or otherwise. Don't get me wrong, I'm really looking forward to Wind Waker HD, but still, it's not like it's something that we all haven't played before. HD re-releases/collections should be a nice bonus to a console's game library, not a "system seller."

Dogpigfish

Dogpigfish said:

@Dark_Link User adoption is high, that's what they need to know. This is a new gen after all. Ubi doesn't expect to make any money on new gen until about 3 years.

Yasume

Yasume said:

I love how everyone thinks that the Wii U will get a huge boost in sales when Wind Waker and Mario 3D World arrive. It won't. I'm sorry, but the Wii U is done.

MaverickHunterX

MaverickHunterX said:

@Yasume
I love how all the doomsayers said the same thing about Ocarina of Time 3D for the 3DS, funny how that turned out.

But seriously, the one thing all you doomsayers fail to realize EVERY console generation is that you never count Nintendo out.

That being said: I don't expect that big of a boost from WindWakerHD, but it and the price drop will at least get the ball rolling.

And they'll continue to gain momentum as Sonic Lost World follows after WWHD, then SM3DWorld, then DKC Tropical Freeze, no strong AAA exclusives from either the PS4 or the Xbone this holiday(and no PS4 launch in Japan til Feb' 14), the WiiU will definitely be in a better position than it is now.

RickyNGmr

RickyNGmr said:

@Retroking1981 {O./O} that's really surprising considering 360 never did well in Japan... at least I was expecting to see the 3 versions within the charts!! (7_7)

Peach64

Peach64 said:

Mario 3D World should provide a big boost, but I'm not sure anything else will. Why are people talking about Sonic like it's a AAA release? There hasn't been a great sonic game since the 16-bit era. I don't think Wii Fit U, or a Wii Sports U would help at all either. That sort of crowd has moved on.

I'm not looking forward to the over-reaction when Wii U sales go up ten times (and still suck).

Yasume

Yasume said:

@MaverickHunterX You can't compare OOT3D and WWHD. OOT3D moved from a console to a handheld. Playing OOT3D on the go was a dream come true for all Zelda fans. WWHD is just a rerelease with slightly updated graphics and it's yet again on a console. There's absolutely no point for Gamecube owners to buy the game a second time.

@Peach64 3D World will provide a huge boost in sales? No way. It's a 3D Land rehash and it looks incredibly bland. No innovation at all. Only a new 3D universe starring Mario + releasing Mario Kart 8 before the holidays would have saved the Wii U. A slight boost in sales is expected since there are still people out there who will buy anything Mario related, but aside from Pikmin 3 there's nothing new and innovative to convince people like me in buying a Wii U.

Peach64

Peach64 said:

@Yasume I agree with you about 3D World being a rehash, and personally I'm hugely disappointed with how it looks so far, but Mario sells. New Super Mario Bros 2 was just as lazy but has sold loads.

ferrers405

ferrers405 said:

@Melkaticox Europe maybe you are right, but NA, come on, they badly can wait for the next COD, Battlefield, Borderland, Far cry, Bioshock and now Titan fall and even plant vs zombies EA turning into a shooter...

Genesaur

Genesaur said:

Huh, that's weird. I figured that Wii U was at least doing better than the Vita. Who the heck actually owns a Vita?

element187

element187 said:

@Angelic_Lapras_King What if Sony only put up a few hundred preorders for it to give the appearance of demand?

remember both the Vita and Wii U sold out of their preorders before launch, so it means very little.

element187

element187 said:

@AdanVC Spending millions on ads for games not out yet is a HUGE waste of money... I don't know why I still see people clammoring for Nintendo to flush money down the toilet.

Seriously, If Nintendo made a commercial of their biggest games coming out this year, it wouldn't change the sales trajectory one iota right now. If I saw a commercial for a game I'm dying to play but at the end of the commercial it tells me "Out in December" I'm going to completely ignore that games system until DECEMBER.

There is literally nothing Nintendo can do about the sales of the Wii U until this Christmas. But they are making the right moves today. Dropping the price and lining up a killer holiday lineup for titles coming. I think it will sell great this holiday seaon.

Senario

Senario said:

@Yasume New content, Hero mode, looks awesome, comes with a Ganondorf figure with the special edition which is priced as a normal game, reworked triforce quest.

Yeaaaaaah...I own the original Wind Waker but that is more than enough reason for me to pick up the game.

Also, may I point you to games like the Wonderful 101. Super Mario 3D World which WILL sell regardless of what you think of it. Monster Hunter 3 ultimate where gameplay time is pretty much limitless. ect ect. Oh and Donkey Kong Tropical freeze which I may pick up because I didn't play DKCR and it seems like a good game.

Nintygek

Nintygek said:

Man I really want to get a 3DS XL (pokemon red edition is really beautiful). But I don't even have time (because of work) to play all my Wii U games (29 Hard copy's). Just the Zelda and Mario games are reason enough to get a 3DS. My guess? Come this Christmas, I will own a 3DS :-) Man Nintendo just takes the money out of my pocket :-p