Professor Layton Vs. Ace Attorney Is Being Localised For Western Release

Posted by Damien McFerran

No longer a mystery, thank goodness

During today's Nintendo Direct it was confirmed that Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney will be coming to North America and Europe in early 2014.

The crossover title — which features Capcom's Phoenix Wright and Level-5's Professor Layton — hit Japan in 2012, and English-speaking fans have been requesting a localised version ever since.

Set in the medieval Labyrinth City, the game calls for Wright and Layton to work together and break the power of the villainous Story Teller, who has the power to turn the written word into reality.

Has your wish been granted by this news? Let us know by posting a comment.

PuzzleMaster7

PuzzleMaster7 said:

The PLvs.AA announcemnet was definitely the highlight of the whole Nintendo Direct, imo. You just don't know how long I've been waiting for this game! :)

DePapier

DePapier said:

I already shouted my lungs out, I can now take this rationally.

I REALLY HOPE Capcom will partner with Nintendo and push the European release of Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies to include a retail version and full European localization: I don't want to see this great series fade away in my territory.

But yeah, SHIBATA WI'LE SWAAAAAAAAGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!! :D

Shambo

Shambo said:

OBJECTION! My hair almost blew backwards too. My heart started racing. My blood pumping. And there it was: Ace Shibata telling me my prayers will be answered. FINALLY!

The entire N Direct was nice to awesome, but this cranked thr hype WAY over 9000.

DarkCoolEdge

DarkCoolEdge said:

Great news. It was going to happen but it was taking too long. The next months are going to be crazy in EU with Zelda, SMT IV, EO IV, Soul Hackers, Layton 6, Layyon vs PW, Bravely Default... there isn't enough to time to play them all.

Peach64

Peach64 said:

This was the highlight for me too. Glad to see the 3DS quality will continue. New Ace Attorney, new Layton, Layton vs Attorney and Bravely Default all to look forward to :)

DarkKirby

DarkKirby said:

Somehow I think the localization is Level-5 and/or Nintendo pressuring Capcom into this "terrible decision" because people outside of Japan "hate anime style and non action oriented games".

It's not a terrible decision, but Capcom is an idiot.

I have no evidence of this, this is just me belief.

Tim_Slim

Tim_Slim said:

You can keep you Reggies and Iwatas

Satoru Shibata is my favourite. That pose was brilliant.

DualWielding

DualWielding said:

@DarkKirby

I'm not sure what exactly the deal is but I think Capcom doesn't have much of a say on this, Level 5 is the one that makes all calls relating this game, kinda like Project X Zone where characters from 3 companies are involved but it was only to Namco to decide whether localize or not

Emblem

Emblem said:

Loved this part of the direct i was in stitches, was totally not prepared for it.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

Will they release it a physical version as well as a digital or will this one be digital only like the next Phoenix Wright?

AlexSora89

AlexSora89 said:

I've never been interested in either series, but this crossover, featuring both gameplays, seems interesting enough to lure me in. I've always been hoping it would get released here, and this, alongside the Luigi announcement for the new SSB, is awesome news! Made my day!

Tender_Cutlet

Tender_Cutlet said:

Shibata-san's sense of humour is so welcoming. Even in his umpteenth language he manages to get it across - it's like a breath of fresh air when compared to the rigid 'suit' style of Iwata-san or the "embarrassing uncle" style of Reggie. Best moment of the Direct allowing his crew to slick back his hair for Phoenix pose!

Marshi

Marshi said:

@Capt_Charlie To be fair I think all three show the gaming industry how to talk to the fans. All three have a million times more charisma than the heads of m$ or sony

Ralizah

Ralizah said:

YES!!! FINALLY!

This and Bravely Default were my two big localization hopes, and now both are coming state-side.

2014 for the 3DS in America will see the release of Super Smash Brothers, two Layton games, and Bravely Default: Flying Fairy. It's off to a pretty darn good start!

Weedy

Weedy said:

Shibata has just hit legendary status.

Also, the game sounds interesting.

Henmii

Henmii said:

Oh god, is that really Shibata?! Those Japanese are awesome!!

Also: Yessss, it's coming! Never played a Ace attorney game, but love Professor Layton! So I am pretty interested!

DanielWW

DanielWW said:

WE DID IT! WE ACTUALLY DID IT! CAPCOM DECIDED TO RELEASE IT FOR EVERY ONE! WE DID IT!!!!!!!!

CoAndy

CoAndy said:

TAKE THAT!!! can't wait for this game all i need now is confirmation on Fantasy Life and Dragon Quest 7 and i will be a very happy camper :)

roryscott

roryscott said:

OHMIGOSH OHMIGOSH OHMIGOSH!!! AAAHHHHHH!!! I AM SO HAPPY RIGHT NOW!!! :D :D :D
I love Ace Attorney and Professor Layton so much! They are my favourite video game series ever and I can not actually believe it!!! :D :D :D

Bassman_Q

Bassman_Q said:

Awesome! I've been looking forward to this ever since it was announced in a Nintendo Power magazine back in 2011! Super Hyped for this one!