Warner Bros. Announces The LEGO Movie Videogame For Wii U And 3DS

Posted by Orla Madden

Get ready to build more blocks next year

Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment and TT Games have revealed The LEGO Movie Videogame, a brand new title set to launch on the Wii U and 3DS in 2014 alongside the release of the upcoming film, The LEGO Movie.

You take control of the game's protagonist, Emmet, who is a less than average, normal guy going about his every day business before he is mistakenly identified as the most extraordinary person - in his case, LEGO figure - and the ultimate key to saving the world. Join Emmet on his quest to stop all evil and bring back harmony to the land.

Tom Stone, Managing Director at TT Games Publishing said:

We’re thrilled to be able to give kids the joy of reliving Emmet’s adventures in becoming virtual Master Builders with The LEGO® Movie Videogame. Players will be taking on the ultimate mission to save the LEGO world and use their virtual building prowess to build unimaginable sets and creations.

Over ninety characters that feature in the movie will be included in the game, along with fifteen levels. A specific release date wasn't mentioned, but more information will follow closer to the game's launch.

Will you be picking up The LEGO Movie Videogame? Let us know by building a block of comments below.

MussakkuLaden

MussakkuLaden said:

Does this mean it's Nintendo-exklusive, then?
In any case, I might be interested in that, preferring an original setting like in Undercover over that of Batman, etc.

DarkCoolEdge

DarkCoolEdge said:

Holy crap. Who greenlighted that name? One of the worse ever. My eyes and ears are bleeding.

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

At first, i was kinda sceptic if Tt-games could pull off an original title without using a license, but LEGO City Undercover simply blew me away in every way. This title "could" end up as a movie license game, but i hope it comes close to Undercover.

MrWalkieTalkie

MrWalkieTalkie said:

Here's the trailer to the Movie. Not bad, actually looks like stop motion, but it's computer animated so I find that very unique!

Hale-Bopp

Hale-Bopp said:

@Zach777 You stole the words right out of my mouth. As soon as I saw the words "15 levels" I knew it wasn't going to be open world and I lost all interest. Give me another Lego City on 3DS, because those other Lego games don't cut it. Not to mention the title and premise screams "generic!"

ikki5

ikki5 said:

The name does kind of turn me off but I will be looking more into it because the name does not tell if a game is good or not :)

FiveDigitLP

FiveDigitLP said:

@MrWalkieTalkie
Weird. That totally looks like stop motion! Due to the humor, animation style, and pop culture references, it kind of reminds me of a clean version of Robot Chicken. I'm definitely interested in the movie now...we'll see how things go with the game!

EDIT: Also, I'd like to say to everyone that I'm guessing the name is intentionally generic and ridiculous sounding. It's kind of like the "Scary Movie" series (and other associated movies). I'm not saying it's the best choice, but I think they're trying to be over-the-top with it and maybe even a bit satirical.

GearsOfWarU

GearsOfWarU said:

I'm a fan of Lego Batman 2 : DC Superheroes ... Should I give Lego Undercover a try ? Is it CoOp?

rjejr

rjejr said:

Saw the movie trailer somewhere recently, wasnt impressed but the kids were so Ill see it.

TT is releasing this game next year? I was really hoping for a Lego Hobbit game to correspond w/ the release of the 3rd and final movie. Oh well, I guess they'll get to it eventually. I want to play as Smaug and destroy everything.

OorWullie

OorWullie said:

Could this be 1 of the worst game names ever?A PS game called Irritating Stick was at number 1 on a top 50 list of worst names ever but I think this may just top that.They might as well have added a U on the end,just for the crack :-)

Legromancer

Legromancer said:

this is great news. The trailer was super awesome in a really clever way. Pop Culture Reverences, Stop Motion, Lego Figures with well known damages and Laser Effect entirely made of tranculent Lego pieces. What not to love?

OdnetninAges

OdnetninAges said:

It's Street Fighter: The Movie: The Game ALL OVER AGAIN!

Anyway, I didn't know they were making a LEGO Movie.

Philip_J_ReedStaff

Philip_J_Reed said:

@Hale-Bopp
"As soon as I saw the words "15 levels" I knew it wasn't going to be open world and I lost all interest."

I wouldn't count that out just yet...Lego City Undercover was open world, and it was also divided into a relatively small number of levels. They're not mutually exclusive, so don't lose hope!

Hale-Bopp

Hale-Bopp said:

@Philip_J_Reed In all my years as a gamer, I don't recall hearing open world missions being described as "levels" before, so I guess that throws me off. I've always associated that particular phrasing with strictly linear gameplay. But at your behest, I will not lose hope just yet! (edit: spelling)

Philip_J_ReedStaff

Philip_J_Reed said:

@Hale-Bopp
All I'm saying is don't lose hope. LCU had 15 "levels" as well, and was also open world. The terminology they're using can be a bit misleading, but so far it's sounding a lot like LCU to me, and I'm waiting to be proven wrong before I worry too much. :)

GearsOfWarU

GearsOfWarU said:

@rjejr ... that stinks... I love the co op mode... I play with my fiancee.. O well there are so many great games coming this fall starting with Pikmin 3 in just a few weeks : ) thanks for the info

Ichiban

Ichiban said:

All these lego games play the same to me, and really seem to put style over substance. Even LCU bored me to tears! ( funny as though!)

Emblem

Emblem said:

As soon as i saw "1980's space guy" i was hooked, i still have a few of them in storage lol! Going to watch this for sure, i'll see what the Wii U version offers in terms of gameplay as undercover was simply the best LEgo game ever.

mch

mch said:

@GearsOfWarU
As someone answered, it's single player, but I can highly recommend Lego City: Undercover! It's simply an awesome game, with big and nice open world, high replayability (did i spell that right?), thousand of things to do and places to see ..something and more for everyone! I had my doubts before getting it, as it was my first lego-game, but I liked it very much.

Shambo

Shambo said:

Watched the movie trailer repeatedly and I love it. Another Lego game of an original Lego setting, exclusive to Nintendo? We're getting spoiled. Not even sarcastically.

serpinium

serpinium said:

Judging by some of these other screenshots(http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/07/16/the-lego-movie-videogame-announced), it looks like a fairly typical LEGO game, with co-op and linear levels.
I'm happy to see that they're using the film's brick-built environments and stop-motion aesthetic. Hopefully future game will apply those as well.
However, I just can't get excited about yet ANOTHER formulaic LEGO game. Why can't we get more variety? Undercover was a good start, with an open world and original characters and plot. A game that would combine these with the Movie Game's full-LEGO environments could finally really shake things up.

Banker-Style

Banker-Style said:

It won't be a Lego City beater,but I can see it being a pretty decent game in it's own right.

Yoshis_VGM

Yoshis_VGM said:

I'll have to see the movie first before deciding. I'm still kind of skeptical about the movie.

But, as mentioned before, a Lego City Undercover sequel would be MUCH appreciated and I would welcome it with open arms.

KAHN

KAHN said:

@MrWalkieTalkie
i'm pretty sure it really is stop motion, they're just editing it with computers for stuff like the facial expressions .

serpinium

serpinium said:

No, it's confirmed as computer animation by the effects house Animal Logic. You can tell because the textures are too reflective for the real thing, and the motion is too smooth. Some clips don't look completely finished, which can happen in a teaser trailer.