Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem Set For Modern Times "In The Real World"

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

"Imagine a Pegasus that lands on Building 109 of Shibuya, Tokyo", blimey

Earlier today we published comments from Nintendo's Hitoshi Yamagami, outlining that a standalone Fire Emblem title on Wii U would need to sell around 700,000 copies to cover development costs. That wouldn't be an issue for something like Fire Emblem: Awakening on 3DS, but that figure would require a prospective Wii U title to outsell its home console predecessors.

What we do know is coming to Wii U, however, is RPG mashup Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem, though that's just a working title; it's a collaboration between Nintendo and Atlus, of course, which we'd imagine reduces the financial burden for both parties. It was outlined as an example of potential development team-ups during January's Wii U Direct; we've seen nothing of the game since, unfortunately.

It's still alive, of course, and Yamagami — perhaps inadvertently — has let slip that the new title will see Fire Emblem elements creeping into modern times in the 'real' world, something new for the IP. That makes sense in the context of Shin Megami Tensei, of course, and it seems Yamagami's desire to see FE move onto new ground led to the collaboration coming together.

For a long time, I’ve wanted to create a Fire Emblem in our times, in the real world. Imagine a Pegasus that comes from the sky and lands on Building 109 of Shibuya, Tokyo. I always thought that would be incredible.

At the same time, I know it’s hard because of how Fire Emblem is. I visited many companies to express these ideas. When I went to Atlus, I was told that Shin Megami Tensei together with Fire Emblem is what I wanted. So, I soon said that to Intelligent Systems and started this very special collaboration.

Oops! I shouldn’t say that the game takes place in the real world. We haven’t announced it, right?

Oops indeed, Yamagami-san, the secret's now out. This isn't necessarily a big surprise, but it's nevertheless interesting to hear confirmation that it'll be the case. For those of you that are fans of Shin Megami Tensei and / or Fire Emblem, what do you hope to see in this collaboration? Let us know in the comments below.

[via siliconera.com]

SkywardCrowbar

SkywardCrowbar said:

Ok. So, this title IS coming to Wii U in the West, correct? Whereas we don't know if we'll get a stand alone Fire Emblem for Wii U?

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

@SkywardCrowbar There's no standalone Fire Emblem confirmed for Wii U, while this cross-over was shown in the worldwide Wii U Direct in January, so we can probably assume it'll be a global release.

AceSpadeS

AceSpadeS said:

The whole idea of Fire Emblem (fantasy) invading the real (normal) world fits perfectly with the whole SMT idea. Very hyped up for this one.

WingedSnagret

WingedSnagret said:

@Hunter-D I was thinking the same thing.

Also can't remember the last time I've seen the word 'blimey' used, but then again this is a UK based site...

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

Hahaha, oopsies! :p But I'm just glad to hear more about the title finally. Sounds interesting so far.

SkywardCrowbar

SkywardCrowbar said:

@ ThomasBW84: Thanks. This is just an area of Nintendo news that I haven't paid much attention to, so I didn't know what the situation with Fire Emblem was on Wii U.

Shworange

Shworange said:

That will be awesome! New weapons blending modern with the past would be cool too. I know steam punk sometimes has the market cornered on this, but regardless, keep the imagination flowing!

NMH-TRI

NMH-TRI said:

I want this game badly! I hope it introduces FE fans to SMT and vice versa while also drawing in new fans to either series. I think crossovers and collaborations are great ideas.

AVahne

AVahne said:

I want to see Grima floating over Mt. Fuji and Idoun standing in Tokyo Harbor.
Also seeing that grotesque Doma crawling through some town would be nice as well.

element187

element187 said:

You had me at Fire Emblem.

Shin Megami Tensei is kinda meh lately, I hope IV is great ( I really didn't like the previous few released on 3DS), but the last FE was fantastic.

element187

element187 said:

@AceSpadeS Remember in Awakening, time travel was possible as Lucina came from ... wait I'm getting into spoilers.

So yes, it should be possible to have Fire Emblem characters appear in modern times.

AceSpadeS

AceSpadeS said:

@element187 I know what you're talking about. :P And I hadn't even thought of it that way, it works without being lore breaking. (Not that Fire Emblem or SMT have much in the way of strong, connected lore)

Great_Gonzalez

Great_Gonzalez said:

I don't like my fantasy medievil games merging with real world modern times! But hey i'll give it ago if it's fire emblem :D

Haxonberik

Haxonberik said:

Couldnt stop thinking in TWEWY when I read that comment. And thats most definitely a good thing.

Klinny

Klinny said:

I used to be against crossovers, but since Pokemon Conquest was one of my favorite DS games, I'm starting to have an open mind about the concept.

I'm actually really interested to see how these titles mesh together. This might be the kind of game that finally convinces me to get a Wii U.

AlexSora89

AlexSora89 said:

Marth duking it out with other people at the crossroads near Hachiko Station. That is all.

Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth said:

Mixing realistic and fantasy settings isn't exactly new so I don't see why this couldn't work, and I think Shin Magami Tensei is a good fit for Fire Emblem. Fire Emblem isn't quite as dark but aside from the modern setting they share some similar themes.

Shambo

Shambo said:

It's on purpose! These people know how to build up hype.

Also, it's what I hoped! Currently playing Project X Zone and it made me want to play a modern age Fire Emblem!

Araknie

Araknie said:

@ThomasBW84 Yes, i was about to say that but yesssssss.

I don't like Fire Emblem but i'm glad Nintendo still pull off new trick with that series.