Pikmin 3 Causes Wii U Sales Growth In Japan

Posted by Damien McFerran

Launch sales comparable to those of New Super Mario Bros. U

Pikmin 3 launched this week in Japan, and appears to have had the desired effect on the Wii U's retail health.

According to Japanese store Tsutaya, the sequel is selling very well indeed and has triggered "greater sales" of its host console.

Here's Taketo Matsuo, Tsutaya’s Director of the Game Rental Planning Group:

Pikmin 3, that came out nine years after Pikmin 2, is having a really good start. Sales at Tsutaya are comparable to the release of Super Mario Bros U and have driven greater sales of Wii U units.

For reference, New Super Mario Bros. U shifted 163,528 copies during its launch week. Hopefully the release of this much-anticipated game marks something of a turning point in the Wii U's commercial fortunes in Japan, and it can replicate the same kind of positive performance when it is released in the west soon.

[via mantan-web.jp, dualshockers.com]

Sanquine

Sanquine said:

Great, this game deserves all the sales. Heck, the reason i bought the wii U :)

erv

erv said:

hm, pikmin selling well always makes me smile :) I mean, these are some of the greatest games yet.

quino711

quino711 said:

Things will get better for Nintendo, I know that. Now... what we need is a new F-zero or Starfox = )

MeWario

MeWario said:

This is definitely the start of something big! What a big 6 months we have a head of us :) I don't think Pikmin alone will sell huge numbers of consoles, but it will certainly start pushing consoles out the door.

Ichiban

Ichiban said:

Still annoyed this comes out a day before my partners bday!
That said, im looking forward to it quite a bit. And good on Nintendo for shifting a large number of units

Morph

Morph said:

Im amazed at the importance being attached to this one, dont get me wrong I like pikmin and have this one pre ordered but I think each of the first 2 barely sold over 1m copies worldwide (could be wrong tho). It seems a bit much to expect a big sales spike from this one.

WingedSnagret

WingedSnagret said:

It's like what we've been saying all along, once the triple A first party titles start to come in, things will begin to look up for the Wii U. :)

dumedum

dumedum said:

@Morph it doesn't really matter how many in the past sold. Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing also exceeded expectations. Pikmin 3 is looking like a huge hit that will push a lot of consoles.

Fazermint

Fazermint said:

If a game like Pikmin spurs user to get the console, imagine what the other upcoming titles will do.

deusy

deusy said:

Euugh, I want to get Pikmin at launch but I don't have enough money.

banacheck

banacheck said:

Didn't Monster Hunter do the same? [Wii U hardware sales rose by 125 percent UK]

9 Days to go until it releases here.

micronean

micronean said:

I just came from BIC Camera in Tokyo (Yurakucho). They had some nice Pikmin displays and a looped demo on a tv screen. I'm happy Pikmin is selling, but I hope nobody is actually thinking this game is going to sell the system.
At most, I would hope this is the 1st--and lowest--step in the Wii U's climb to greater sales.

Peach64

Peach64 said:

I'd hope after the reported sales spike on Wii U sales in the aftermath of the Xbox One announcement, people would stop getting carried away. When your console is selling as badly as the Wii U, even a 900% increases in sales leaves it lagging behind every other system out there.

Have there been many reviews? Is it as good as we hoped? Pikmin 3 is the first Wii U game to really interest me, but I've hardly seen any hands on previews of it.

GiftedGimp

GiftedGimp said:

@Peach64 Everytime something positive, you come along and try to turn it negative. If Software/Hardware are on par with when NSMBU was released in Japan then thats a big increase. Back then WiiU was selling well Worldwide, especially in Japan. Were not talking a couple of hundred extra units here.
Pikmin alone wont suddenly turn the WiiU fortunes around on its own worldwide but along with NSMBU, MH3U, Mario3D, Donkey Kong, Mario Kart and a few other titles it will attract alot of new WiiU owners, Worldwide.
Its Worth remembering that unless something drastically has changed in Japan the WiiU's only real home console its going to be fighting is Ps4, Xbox has never sold well in Japan and key Nintendo franchises have a extremely loyal following in Japan.
As for 'WiiU severley lagging behind every other system'.. thats because every other system has been available for 7/8 years... not 7/8 months.

Peach64

Peach64 said:

@GiftedGimp I'm just being realistic. A lot of people got angry at me for raining on that Wii U sales go up 900% story but what I said proved to be true, as overall Wii U sales did not go up at all.

The same is happening here. This guy who runs the store said they're selling as much of Pikmin 3 as they were selling NSMBU, AND it's increased Wii U sales. He doesn't say Wii U sales are at the level they were when NSMBU came out. People twist the story slightly, get excited, and then wonder why it turns out to be false.

CAM290

CAM290 said:

Nintendo is building a deprivation strategy (possibly not on purpose). Leaving gamers (especially Nintendo gamers) starving for new/sequal titles on recently new systems (3DS & Wii U). This in turn seems to be over-hyping and scaring loyalist into hungrily snatching up these titles and boosting sales of the home console. This was also seen during the 3DS drought. A very cleaver strategy indeed, even if it's not done on purpose...

DamoAdmin

Damo said:

@Peach64 Pikmin 3 has sold well and Wii U sales are "greatly" improved, according to a source in Japan. You then turn the story into a negative — who exactly is twisting things here?

People know that the Wii U is behind other consoles in terms of sales, but a boost in sales is a boost regardless — no one is reporting that the console is out-selling the competition, which is what you seem to think people are saying.

Fazermint

Fazermint said:

@Peach64 It is just that we appreciate a tiny bit of positivity as opposed to constant bickering and doom&gloom scenarios.

banacheck

banacheck said:

I cannot believe it's been 9 years since Pikmin2, i don't know about anyone else "i'm super excited for Pikmin3". Now if only i could fast forwards time, for the new Donkey Kong as well.

cdude

cdude said:

So wiiU sales are going from 5 units a month, all the way up to 8 for the next month? Per region?

Thats fantastic! Nintendo isnt screwed at all!

RedRocBoy

RedRocBoy said:

I really hope this is the start of the greatness. This will be my first Pikimin game can't wait really loving the graphics. Splinter Cell and Wonderful 101 next AWESOME!!!!!

Buduski

Buduski said:

All I can say is Nintendo please be gentle I don't think my wallet can take whats coming in the following months starting with pikmin 3, the wonderful 101, watch dogs, splinter cell black list , sonic lost world, COD Ghosts (if it gets officially anounced) and Those are just a few that are releasing this year, and don't even start with the 3DS games, Shin Megami Tensai, Zelda a link between worlds, Pokemon X & Y... Sorry bank account

GearsOfWarU

GearsOfWarU said:

Of course!!!! Can't wait to get my copy ... Wii U will be A OK as soon as the games come .... And that is finally happening this Fall. Wii U will be a Hot Buy this Holiday with a great lineup of AAA Games!!!!

Sir_JBizzle

Sir_JBizzle said:

@Peach64 You could look at it the way you are, or you could look at it this way as well. A 900% increase on a low number is still 900% more Wii U consoles sold and in the hands of new customers, Which means a larger install base.

And probably looking from a Nintendo POV, every Pikmin 3 sold with a Wii U is profit for them, add in all the customers that buy the game that already have a Wii U, even more profit for them. So they aren't hurting for money. Do they want to do better and sell more hardware? Absoultely. Otherwise they should just get out of the hardware business. LOL

Akira_1975

Akira_1975 said:

@Peach64 No offence Peach but you're coming across as someone who doesn't like to see others in a positive mood. Doesn't matter if you're being realistic or not. Most of us are happy to hear this news. Why can't you just accept that and stop with the negativity already. At least try some constructive criticism instead of out right negativity. You're really starting to come across as a troll at this point.

If you really care about this system you should aim to stay positive and help to convince others around you to support this system. The negativity doesn't help anyone. As a huge fan of Nintendo I do what I can to convince people around me to support them and attitudes like your are a huge turn off.

Akira_1975

Akira_1975 said:

No matter how someone tries to spin this into a negative, this is good news. Period. Hopefully we get the same result in the west.

element187

element187 said:

@Morph NSMBU sold 2 million copies.. if Pikmin 3 sells half that it will be a smashing success for Nintendo, that's a 33% attach rate.

Banker-Style

Banker-Style said:

Great news,it's certainly makes a change from the normal doom and gloom,Nintendo seems to attract these days.

theblackdragonAdmin

theblackdragon said:

@Akira_1975 (and others): You can't put words in other people's mouths and tell them how they 'should' post here at Nintendo Life; if they don't see it as positive, it's on them. However, you can ignore them if they bother you and post how you feel about this and other news without attacking them personally. We'd appreciate it if you'd stick to the latter, in fact. Thanks in advance! :3

XFsWorld

XFsWorld said:

Awesome, Lego City Undercover is coming July 25 in Japan, Pikmin 3 is coming to Europe in 9 days, then North America in August. This will be a big 6 week boost. :)

Akira_1975

Akira_1975 said:

@theblackdragon You're right. I had a moment of weakness. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. All the negative Wii U comments I've seen online recently wore me down I suppose. =)

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

I'm happy to hear the game is doing well... and to reach those numbers in just a day or two, with such a small install base, is actually really impressive! I have no control over anyone else buying the game, but I know one thing, I pre ordered it and that'll be one more sale in the US on Aug 4!

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

@Akira_1975 No worries, believe me I understand exactly where you're coming from. Sometimes the negativity gets to me too. But I do love arguing the point with facts to show people the error of their ways lol ;)

GiftedGimp

GiftedGimp said:

@theblackdragon With respect, if you look through previous posts then certain people are all over Negative stories but as soon as something positive is published then they are dicrediting it in someway.
It gets to a point its more like trolling than posting opinions and if someone is trolling then they will attract attention to themselves that they may not like. Yes it may be not in the Spirit of how NL want thier site to be used but surely Trolling is not what you wan't either?
Add that certain people being negative here havn't bothered trying to be negative on the follow up article that has very positive, factual weekend only sales figues nor actual said something positive or simply commented then it's pretty obvious what thier intention is when posting negativity.
To carify I agree that posting your opinions, good or bad, is a good thing, and shouldn't be policed or criticised as everyone has an opinion and the right to express it. However theres constructive posting and disruptive posting, and some people cross that line from between constructive into disruptive.

theblackdragonAdmin

theblackdragon said:

@GiftedGimp: Differing opinions and viewpoints is not 'trolling'. If they're unhappy with the way things are now, it can't be helped. Ignore it and move on, please. :3

Morph

Morph said:

@element187 you would expect a high attach rate tho wouldn't you. Most wii u owners at this point will be loyal nintendo fans and you would expect a decent attach rate for almost every 1st party game released at this stage. I hope pikmin does fantastic numbers but realistically it wont be a major system seller.

Mizzah_Tee

Mizzah_Tee said:

@Buduski LoL. I feel your pain bud. I've already had to contact the authorities because Nintendo refuses to stop attacking my wallet :)

Captain_Toad

Captain_Toad said:

Heh, and all it took so far was Pikmin 3 to boost WiiU sales. I wonder if it'll have the same affect in the west....

Buduski

Buduski said:

@siddyp00h, and this is only this year I still haven't mentioned next years bayonetta 2, mario kart 8, Super Smash Bros and those unanounced titles... I'm going to go ask for a few extra hours at work because some thing tells me I'm gonnaneed it

Emblem

Emblem said:

Awesome, though Japan has always loved the Pikmin series so its to be expected, i'm anxious to see how it does in the US and the UK. Day one for me.

quino711

quino711 said:

@Sanquine Mario Universe would be amazing ( It even has the U right there haha ) I don't know, I want them releasing an IP we did not had on the Wii like F-Zero or Starfox. A new Metroid or Zelda are also welcomed hahaha