Hideki Kamiya Still Wants to Work on Star Fox

Posted by Mike Mason

Let him do that, Star Fox

Ever-tweeting Platinum Games director Hideki Kamiya has spoken about his desire to work on the Star Fox franchise in the past, and that hope apparently hasn't gone anywhere. During E3 2013, speaking to Nintendo World Report, Kamiya reiterated that he would be "pleased" if he was offered everybody's favourite space-animal series.

Kamiya is currently finishing up directorial duties on Wii U exclusive The Wonderful 101, while supervising development of the similarly exclusive Bayonetta 2. In the future, however, the Viewtiful Joe and Okami creator would "like to work together with Nintendo to make original games" — or take on one of the company's existing brands.

[...] As far as Nintendo franchises, the reality is that these are big franchises that have lots of fans and lots of history and it'd be really hard in my position to say 'Oh, let me make one of these games.' But tomorrow, if suddenly somebody came to me and said 'We want you to make Star Fox,' of course I would be pleased.

Aside Star Fox, Kamiya brought up another old Nintendo series that he has mentioned to his Twitter followers previously — Famicom Disk System samurai action game Nazo no Murasame Jō. Most recently referenced in Nintendo Land mini-game Takamaru's Ninja Castle, it's clearly a series that could gel well with Kamiya's past experience with pedigree action games.

Would you like to see Hideki Kamiya, and Platinum Games as a whole, take on any existing Nintendo franchises, or would you prefer to see further original titles?

[via nintendoworldreport.com]

cornishlee

cornishlee said:

Nazo no Murasame Jō? Please let it happen. That alone would make my Wii U worthwhile.

GoombaSlayer

GoombaSlayer said:

Im not a huge fan of the classic Star Fox games. But i would definetely want to see more Platinum on the Wii U. Such as MadWorld 2 or entirely new IPs.

Pod

Pod said:

I'm not Kamiya's biggest fan, but I'd trust him to make something extraordinary out of StarFox.

MAN1AC

MAN1AC said:

Iwata needs to let him and Platinum do whatever they want on Nintendo hardware.

Kage_88

Kage_88 said:

I can imagine if Kamiya wrote the dialogue for the new Star Fox game;

Slippy: "Hey Fox! Can I be in Smash Bros too?!

Fox: "F*** off!"

RaylaxStaff

Raylax said:

Let the Viewtiful Joe and Okami man make anything he likes. It will be amazing.

Shworange

Shworange said:

Platinum games have shown very nice support for Nintendo. I think he would do a great job. Nintendo, if you're not currently working on a star fox game, let him see what he could do! I think it would be fantastic

Doma

Doma said:

Would be cool.

Starfox however doesn't have a broad enough appeal for Nintendo to allow this, not while they're in desperate mode.

Exile20

Exile20 said:

There is actually a retweet campaign going on

Wesker

Wesker said:

New Star Fox!? Surely it would just be quicker and easier to do Star Fox 64 U, or what about Star Fox Adventures U? Everybody likes those games and there's a new generation of gamers that haven't played those yet + tablet + HD = winning formula. That way they don't have to start from scratch, why make new assets when you can just reuse old ones?

Ps. If anyone from Nintendo is reading this please accept this as an open application to your strategy unit, I think I would fit straight in.

NINTENBOY

NINTENBOY said:

Why didn't Nintendo let him work on it instantly when he first mentioned this? My only concern is the online he's really not known for that and they should bring someone else in that could really make the great online the Star Fox series has the potential to have.

Why not? Nintendo you better have a new SF in the works yourself otherwise you would have to be stupid to not JUMP at this opprotunity.

Lasermaster123

Lasermaster123 said:

I think Nintendo should atleast look at the Star Fox franchise and bring it to the Wii U. I look forward to that new game as well as the Star Fox 64 that I will eventually play on 3DS.

OverturePT

OverturePT said:

I'm of the opinion that Nintendo should just throw a bunch of freaking cash and buy these guys. They haven't made a bad game yet and Nintendo needs more developers. Buy them already. Thanks.

SirMario

SirMario said:

This is great news. I hope the big N offers him to make star Fox. If anyone can make a good Star Fox game it would be Kamiya. I am so proud I just want to put on a red cherry gloss lipstick and kiss Hideki Kamiya on each cheeks (in certain cultures it is a formal greeting. No homo.).

ACK

ACK said:

Would be cool, but I'm bothered that everyone is ignoring that he wants to work with Nintendo to make original games. Considering the reaction to E3 you would think that's what we all wanted to hear. Instead, it appears given the opportunity we do want more core Nintendo franchises as much as anything.

Epicnessofme99

Epicnessofme99 said:

I thought he had later on lost interest, great to see he has interest yet again because seeing as Nintendo and Platinum Games have been working together to bring us 2 great games I'd love to see a partnership between them and if Kamiya worked on a Starfox I think it would be amazing!

NMH-TRI

NMH-TRI said:

It would be an amazing fit. Someone else mentioned Treasure being a great fit for Starfox somewhere as well.

Either way, I'd buy it and I know it'd be great. Platinum could definitely make that series fresh and challenging. Get on it Nintendo.

KLZ

KLZ said:

When he first mentioned it like 3 years ago, relations between Nintendo and Platinum were differente, it was just a comment like "SF is my favorite game, Id love to make a SF game". Now that PG and Nin have been supporting each other with TW101 and B2 it really feels like a possibility. They have been in contact a lot so there has to be more confindence on each other.

Wildfire

Wildfire said:

It's the 2nd time this man says that he would like to do a Starfox game and mind you, he's one of the great minds behind Platinum games. So my question is:

• why doesn't Nintendo let him do it?
    Just imagine what Platinum would do with this IP! Yeah! It would be amazing but still, Nintendo seems to not care...
    I'm starting to lose hope on a new Starfox game.
element187

element187 said:

Good to see he's still behind Nintendo and willing to work on more games!

@MrWalkieTalkie Everytime I see a picture of him around Nintendo staff, and/or their demo showcasing, he has a scowl on his face like he doesn't like being around Nintendo... "Ugh, I can't believe we are being forced to be published by this kiddy toy company, Nintendo" ..

But his tweets of wanting to do Nintendo games erases that.. Maybe he just always has a scowl on his face, even when he's having fun.

Melkaticox

Melkaticox said:

You could just, I dunno...ASK, Kami!

I really doubt they would say "Oh, I'm sorry, but we don't..."
-...really like your games
-...like your attitude.
-...love you

So yeah, go tell them that, Kamiya. Nintendo's too busy working on the 3DS AND trying to boost Wii U's sales.

Fillytase

Fillytase said:

Oh god, PLEASE YES. I've been hoping desperately that this would be his next project. Pleeeeeaaaaaaaaaase Nintendo

DarkNinja9

DarkNinja9 said:

at least hes willing to work on it and work on more games so come on let him do that D= or get another team started on it already so that he can jump in later :(

Lasermaster123

Lasermaster123 said:

@X-Factor

I have to still get it too :P Nintendo did revive Kid Icarus, they could let this guy work as well. Who knows, maybe the decision is already in the works?

Ichiban

Ichiban said:

Oh please, for the love of god let this happen. Many, many true nintendo fans have been begging for a new Starfox game, instead we get platformers and mini games! It would be sweet to see what he could do with Starfox, and great to simply see the great fox in action again. Please let this happen Nintendo, its a win-win situation: fans get the Starfox game theyre dying for, and you guys dont have to handle development and can continue on bleeding poor old Mario dry like you seem to enjoy doing...
Please, please, please, please, please, please!!!

ompgsag

ompgsag said:

He should be working on the Space Harrier remake coming to the 3DS. It's one of his favourite games.

But yeah I'd buy a Star Fox game by Kamiya. No question.

Shambo

Shambo said:

recently played starfox 64 3d in download play, and i was shocked how much fun you could have troll-facing while barrel-rolling and taking one another down... with only one cartridge! nothing beats the face of desperation when you can stay behind someone else's ship.

Forbsz

Forbsz said:

He wants to do it when his finished with Bayonetta 2 and Wonderful 101 Nintendo better give him a Star Fox game to do next!!