Happy 22nd Birthday, Sonic!

Posted by Tim Latshaw

The Blue Blur is still running strong

SEGA has released a celebratory tweet to honour the 22nd anniversary of Sonic the Hedgehog’s release on the Mega Drive (the Genesis in North America), and what a long, strange journey the Blue Blur has had since.

Sonic’s career has had its ups, its downs and its loop de loops, but perhaps the strangest twist in the hedgehog’s path has been his transition from the pure business rival of Mario and the Nintendo brand to an ever-increasingly welcome associate - even if they’re still actively competing in games like Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games and beating each other up in Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

You can take a look back through Sonic’s presence on Nintendo systems through our 20th Anniversary feature, which was obviously written a couple of years back. The near future for SEGA’s persevering mascot brings Sonic Lost World to the Wii U and 3DS, which has been gathering positive attention since E3. The Blue Blur will also be involved in Mario & Sonic at the Sochi Olympic Winter Games and a third Nintendo exclusive that is yet to be revealed.

What are your favourite Sonic games and memories? Feel free to share them all below.

[via twitter.com]

Bobhobob

Bobhobob said:

I loved Sonic Adventure 2 on the Dreamcast when I was younger, it was my first video game. Happy b-day, Sonic!

Prof_Clayton

Prof_Clayton said:

I think I should actually finish a Sonic game today. :3
I never have, and I feel on his Birthday would be the proper day. :P
Happy Birthday you blue hedgehog!

BandG

BandG said:

I just got Sonic Generations and its great! Nice that I'll be playing it on his birthday :D

DESS-M-8

DESS-M-8 said:

Sonic CD was my favourite and the running down the side of a skyscraper in Sonic Adventure on Dreamcast.

I hope the 3rd Wii U exclusive sonic is an actual sonic game or even Sonic the Hedgehog 5 or Sonic Adventure 3 would be awesome.

Shiryu

Shiryu said:

Happy Birthday, Hedgehog! http://youtu.be/mhx5gzc0Lsc
Since I was a SNES kid, I only played Sonic 1, 2 3 & Knuckles on my cousins Megadrive. Unlike most people back than, I was not a zealot and enjoyed the games a lot, especially the music.

OorWullie

OorWullie said:

I'll never forget my mate from high school bringing up his Japanese Megadrive and showing me this,I had a Mastersystem at the time.It was 1 of those "MUUUUM,look at this.Can I get 1?" moments.Great times :-)

EarthboundBenjy

EarthboundBenjy said:

Recently finished Sonic Unleashed on 360... and wow, if you're aiming for 100% completion that game is NOT for the faint of heart... I managed (and even S-ranked all the DLC for good measure), but there were some ridiculous things I had to accomplish.
To contrast, Sonic Unleashed on the Wii is the easiest Sonic game to 100% complete I've seen.

dumedum

dumedum said:

I don't get this birthday thing. Anyway, hope Lost World sells well for Wii U.

hydeks

hydeks said:

Yay! Happy B-day Sonic! :)

My favourite Sonic game so far is still Sonic the Hedgehog 2 on Genesis, but my favourite Sonic moment/story is in Sonic Adventure 2. So I guess Sonic 2 cause it was my first Sonic game, and Sonic Adventure 2 is a very close second. I still love the end when they all had to team up to stop Eggman's grandfathers project from destroying everything, and Shadow and Sonic had to take turns in Super mode to take out The Biohazard monster, epic :)

Yrreiht

Yrreiht said:

Happy birthday Sonic! :D
22 years and still going strong even if you had some hiccups along the road!

Emblem

Emblem said:

All sonic games are 77p on android to mark the occasion if anyone is interested.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

Happy birthday Sonic! :D I've enjoyed all of your games that I've played, my favourite being Sonic Unleashed on PS3 :D Here's to 22 more awesome years!

Shambo

Shambo said:

@Neo-GeoFan great idea, i love that system.

also, has it really been two years already since i bought that 20th anniversary collector's edition of sonic generations?

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

The only Sonic game I have beaten is Sonic Adventure. It was the first Sonic game I properly played and I seem to be in the minority of people to have fond memories of it.

I could never get into the 2D games. I always found odd that you were encouraged to race but the screen will barely let you see what is ahead, so there appears a pit or an enemy to stop you at the most unexpected time. Guess they wanted you to memorize the levels and not being so reckless.

I hope Sonic Lost World plays as good as it looks.

DreamyViridi

DreamyViridi said:

Oh hey, Happy B-Day Sonic. :)
I remember playing Adventure 2 as a kid at someone's house and my mind was blown. Hope Lost World plays well!

TheSonicdude97

TheSonicdude97 said:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Sonic The Hedgehog!!!! :D
Sonic has been my most favorite video game character ever, and a hero and role model. I´ve always loved his games and there´s not one I hate. Keep running and going strong! Live the BLUE BLUR Forever, WOO!!

EarthboundBenjy

EarthboundBenjy said:

@Neo-GeoFan
Oh right, that game! I got every puzzle piece and every emerald, and it's one of my favourites. :D
Seems kind of weird that once you get the emeralds, they're just always there in the cartridge forever because there's no delete option. Heh.

Gnoll

Gnoll said:

Happy birthday Sonic! I remember the first time I saw you running on a friend's SMS. I completed the first Sonic just a week ago on the Game Gear VC, but today I'm afraid I'm playing with your best pal in Tails' Adventure ;-)

seronja

seronja said:

happy b-day blue buddy! =) there were so many sonic games but sonic the hedgehog 3 is my fav. of the franchise =)

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

Happy birthday, Sonic! It's been years since I've played one of your games, but I will later this year with Sonic: Lost World, which looks very promising. I've always mainly been a player of 3D Sonic games, with Sonic the Hedgehog 2 being my favorite of the side-scrollers.

Zodiak13

Zodiak13 said:

Oddly enough I have never got into Sonic games. Nothing particularly wrong with them but just never was my thing. But congrats on being an endearing franchise to many people across the world. Hope Sega makes many more enjoyable games for the folks that love him.

KnightRider666

KnightRider666 said:

The original Sonic on the Genesis, hands down is my favorite. Sonic Chronicles on the DS gets an honorable mention though, as I loved having a Sonic RPG;)

bassoongoon

bassoongoon said:

Awesome! I have great memories of playing Sonic Adventure 2 Battle, Sonic Adventure DX: Director's Cut, Sonic Heroes, and Shadow the Hedgehog.

Chriiis

Chriiis said:

Happy Birthday Sonic! :) I'm going to play my Game Gear games in celebration today!

Mauhiho

Mauhiho said:

Sonic has some missteps in the past (Sonic CD, Sonic Riders Zero Gravity, Sonic and the Secret Rings) but most of his games are just pure gold.
With Sonic Unleashed being my favorite :D

Pichuka97

Pichuka97 said:

@Mauhiho
Also, how could you hate those games. I guess everyone has there own opinion but I thought you would hate on Sonic 06. Oh well.

Mauhiho

Mauhiho said:

@Pichuka97
I can explain :P
I hated CD Because of the horrible level design and bosses
I hated ZG because of the story line that made no sense and the awful controls
I hated SR because of the TERRIBLE controls and the slow Sonic at the start..
Ah yes, Sonic 06 the game that's hated by many Sonic fans. I don't hate it to be honest. I actually like it. But it cannot beat Sonic Rush and Unleashed :P

EarthboundBenjy

EarthboundBenjy said:

I personally love Sonic CD. Its levels were compact, meaning they packed a lot of interesting things into a tight enough space that exploring them didn't seem like a huge ordeal. If you want to see poor/confusing/overly-complicated level design, try Knuckles' Chaotix!

Znerd

Znerd said:

Happy Bday sonic and i hope you make it in SSB4 in the future
My favorite sonic game in 2d is sonic3 and knuckles
favorite 3d sonic still figuring it out

tabris95

tabris95 said:

To me, nothing beats the Genesis experience of Sonic 3 and Knuckles played with a friend.

Drobotic

Drobotic said:

I remember seeing a little Sonic painting I made a few years ago when Colors was about to come out in my basement.

Drobotic

Drobotic said:

Also,if Nintendo has this contract with SEGA,can't they put Sonic Generations on Wii U?

SheldonRandoms

SheldonRandoms said:

It was a year ago when I graduated highschool, and that was on Sonic's 21st birthday, so yeah, Happy Birthday Sonic, and remember to share that cake with your friends.

3DSfan134

3DSfan134 said:

Happy Birthday Sonic! I'll be playing your first game on the 3DS for the Game Gear!

baba_944

baba_944 said:

SONIC! Sonic was my first video game on my dad's Genesis. I still have that cartridge and played it today. I'm 16. Sonic help me through my life and I would like to thank him for it. Never went to school until 5 years ago so I was home schooled and played Sonic. Happy 22nd Sonic.

Austroid

Austroid said:

You've come a looong way, haven't you Sonic? Have a few slices, you deserve it!

Colors personally got me back into the series after the awkward time period between '06 and Unleashed; as of now its my fav. 3D Sonic title.

As for 2D: the greatness that is Sonic CD!

Ristar42

Ristar42 said:

Favourite memories, playing the first game in 1991, and waiting until my birthday to get a Megadrive with the game included. The hype for Sonic 2 in the SEGA magazines, and then again having to wait again until my birthday to get the game.

The first game is my favourite Sonic game of the early days, I think Generations (both versions in their own way) for the more recent releases.

I stayed a SEGA console fan right up to the Dreamcast and have bought most Sonic games since, looking forward to Lost World on 3DS (don’t have a Wii U).

Falco

Falco said:

It was round then I bought my first console. I saved up £150 to buy a mega drive, went down to quinnsworth and realized I also had to buy a game as none was bundled with the console. I knew a console without a game would be no fun so I looked around the store and seen the NES packaged with Super Mario bros and duck hunt for £120. I didn't want to be disappointed so I bought it and loved it, the following year I got a SNES and I've never looked back.
I did often think that Sega lost a lot of money from my custom anyway just because the Mega drive was over priced that day.

Joshers744

Joshers744 said:

I'm one of those that liked Sonic Adventure 2 Battle the most....I enjoy most Sonic games though honestly.

GreatPlayer

GreatPlayer said:

@EarthboundBenjy I agree with you. I remembered I HATE Knuckles Chaotix. Strange ideas in this game.

I actually loved Sonic (Sonic 1, 2, 3, Sonic and Knuckles, Sonic Adventure, Sonic Advance 1, 2, 3, Sonic Generations...) The first sonic game I played was Sonic 1 in SMS. That was an awesome game. I am looking forward to Sonic the Lost World!

Undead_terror

Undead_terror said:

Happy birthday, my favorite 2D sonic up to date is sonic 2 on the Genesis and my favorite 3D one would be adventure DX.

GearsOfWarU

GearsOfWarU said:

Happy B-Day Sonic... Can't wait to get What looks to be an Amazing New Sonic game in ... Sonic Lost World for Wii U : ) ... have to play a little Sonic & Allstars Racing Transformed to Honor the Blue Hedgehog !!!!!!!!!

Henmii

Henmii said:

I am a bit late on the party, but happy birthday Sonic! Hopefully Lost worlds will be awesome!