New Wii U System Update Goes Live

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Don't get excited, though

If you have good timing you'll have already seen it, but if not then be prepared - a Wii U system update awaits. On our system it kicked in automatically when the console was booted up, and it's clear from the download and install time that it's a spit and polish effort, not a major change.

Having checked the Nintendo of America site, the change log for version 3.0.1 U isn't exactly lengthy.

Further improvements to overall system stability and software compatibility

That's a line we've seen plenty of times over the years for DSi, Wii and 3DS updates, and we typically assume that Nintendo's tightening up security and anti-hacking measures. With hackers recently claiming to have cracked the Wii U, it wouldn't be surprising if this update is part of a plan to head off that prospect.

Still, keep your eye out for that improved system stability; if your Wii U doesn't crash today, let's assume the update did its job.

BooJoh

BooJoh said:

This also appears to have fixed a bug which appeared in the 3.0.0 update where the Miis associated with your "Been Playing:" game would scatter across the home screen instead of standing under their proper game panel. I don't know if the bug affected everyone or just some users.

withoutdk

withoutdk said:

i have only had one crash, but..... i think they need to do something about the lags in games from time to time... :)

AG_Systems

AG_Systems said:

My console never starts these automatically. I always have to go through system settings manually. It didn't find it in standby mode either. Anyone else have this or is it just me?

withoutdk

withoutdk said:

AG_Systems

me too.. i check every day though... and here on Nintendolife.. in case i forget a couple of days.. i check here every day.. at least two times :D

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

@AG_Systems I think there may be a setting to have it kick in automatically, plus you need to have the system constantly online. Try routing around in the settings :)

The update should be live everywhere, or at least in the UK and US! I suspect Canada and the rest of Europe have it too.

AG_Systems

AG_Systems said:

Everything I could switch on is, I think. Never seen a setting for auto check system updates though. System is always online too. Weird.

EaZy_T

EaZy_T said:

Any update that doesn't brick the system is always welcome :D

I had a problem with WaraWara Plaza a few days ago, it showed default Mii comments and tiles (while I was connected to the internet). It fixed itself since then, but that seemed like a stability issue to me.

Lunapplebloom

Lunapplebloom said:

My Wii U seemed to crash a lot more often after the system boost update from a while ago. It was mostly on things like Hulu Plus and Netflix, but was nonetheless annoying.

And the Wii U menu seemed to be more sluggish overall, though once the jumping into the game was initiated, it went super fast and smooth. I hope this one fixes my problem with it.

Mk_II

Mk_II said:

The update is live in Europe too. Just go to eShop if it doesn't kick in automatically when you boot up the console.

MadAdam81

MadAdam81 said:

I randomly decided to check, and got it a few hours ago. It only took a minute to download, so it's pretty small.
One thing I noticed (not sure if its this update or not) but I was playing the Pinball game and clicking on purchase took me to the eShop instead of giving a message telling me to go to the eShop manually.
PS It's live in Australia.

RedYoshi999

RedYoshi999 said:

I had to turn mine on for it to initiate the automatic download process and then restart the console to update it after it downloaded. I don't think that's how standby downloads are meant to work...

dazzleshell

dazzleshell said:

@AG_Systems my wii u either turns on straight away or wont turn on with red flashing power light. so i have to turn it off at mains and try again until it works. will see if this update sorts it, if not im sending it in to be looked at. never had a console that doesnt like being switched on.

TheAdrock

TheAdrock said:

What was the upshot from that recent rumor about doubling clock speed or whatever it was? Seemed implausible, but was that ever formally debunked?

chiptoon

chiptoon said:

It now gives a message saying that the software is opening, instead of seeming to do nothing after selecting a game. Which is helpful

Gregor

Gregor said:

Enhanced software sompatibility. Can I play Sin and Punishment again now? Please?

mch

mch said:

@chiptoon
Hey yes, that seems helpful.. I remember me being all ??? after pressing the Lego City Icon ..regularly not knowing if i hit it correctly or if it´s just laging a bit..

Captain_Gonru

Captain_Gonru said:

Mine didn't start automatically at power-up, but rather when I was returning to the home menu after playing the Rayman challenge app. As for crashes, that is always only when I'm using Hulu.

SLiM

SLiM said:

I have had mine freeze two or three times, but was easily fixed with a reboot. Hopefully this will fix whatever is happening behind the scenes.

skjia

skjia said:

I hope this fixes Netflix. Since the update, almost every time I try to boot it it just goes to a black screen and I have to physically unplug the system to restart.
Otherwise it's been pretty good.

luisterr

luisterr said:

Something I noticed is that whenever you're on the Download Management app, you can now check for a system update. So no more going all the way to the system settings to do that!

LindsayPez

LindsayPez said:

It is so hard to get my stupid Wii U to do a system update. It always says Error Code: 105-4400 An error has occurred. Please try again later." I googled it and found no help, I've contacted Nintendo and they were no help either. It also does this when I try to do anything in the eShop. it doesn't let me download games or anything. Does anyone else have this issue?

DarkEdi

DarkEdi said:

It apply to all America, I´m from Mexico and yesterday appeared me the update. It doesn´t took more than a few minutes.

letsplay

letsplay said:

With all these updates we need a game that rewards you with an update screen.

Gameday

Gameday said:

Only problem i have really is on Hulu Plus. I have to hit the retry button all the time in the middle of a show or waiting for the auto play to kick in. Mostly when ads come up.

Varia01

Varia01 said:

I just got it several minutes ago. Hacker security is certainly a good improvement, and the speed it took for the update to install was neat too.

UnseatingKDawg

UnseatingKDawg said:

Good. I know hackers are inevitable, as with every game platform, but it's nice to hold them off as long as possible.

bezerker99

bezerker99 said:

I went home around 1ish today for lunch to transfer my Wii U MH3U data to my 3DS. I wasn't prompted for an update. I'll check again tonight. :o

DarkKirby

DarkKirby said:

This all part of Nintendo's plan to have Microsoft and Sony set their goals low for their new systems and then BAM, software update that overclocks the Wii U.

Really though, if only Nintendo would care as much about hackers that ruin multiplayer rather than "pirates".

IPrino

IPrino said:

i am sorry o hear u guys r having issues with freezing but i havent had an issue since a couple of months after launch. i would def get nintendo to warranty fix the issues.

Marioman64

Marioman64 said:

Lego City was crashing sometimes for me before the update,
and now it's not... although it hasn't been long enough to see if that was actually what fixed it or if I've just been lucky so far.

SethNintendo

SethNintendo said:

@Gameday
Yep, been getting ton of playback issues on mainly ad loads for Hulu+. I've been complaining on Miiverse for quite sometime (along with a ton of other users). I finally had enough and cancelled my subscription. If they release a patch for Hulu that makes streaming as decent as it is on Netflix then I might consider paying for a subscription again. They seemed to fixed the hard freeze during Hulu streaming but then caused playback errors (never had them before the last recent Hulu patch). So they fix one thing and cause another problem. Hulu is highly incompetent. Heck, they were supposed to release a 3DS app last December...

Gameday

Gameday said:

@SethNintendo Yea on my xbox and original wii its fine. But the wii u... I love watching it on the wii u cause it has auto play , i swear i cant find the auto play on the xbox but o well some days its not as bad with wii u but it is quite annoying to say the least.

gohanrage

gohanrage said:

did anyone notice an improvement on how Wii U software ran after the 3.0.1 update???

The only game I have is Nintendo Land. I played it and didn't notice any difference

gohanrage

gohanrage said:

this update installed by itself but I had to manually turn off the machine and turn it back on for the update to finish installing

gohanrage

gohanrage said:

@AG_Systems the 3.0.0 update I had to start manually in the system settings. but this 3.0.1 update started on its own as soon as I booted up the wii u. But when it said the system needed to be restarted I had to do that by holding the power button until it turned off then press power to turn system back on

gohanrage

gohanrage said:

@DarkKirby That cannot happen. the system would Over Heat and the CPU would Detach from the Motherboard causing the same problem that killed all the launch xbox 360s

I heard from someone else that LEAD based Solder was banned and its superior to the solder used

Nintendo Prided itself over how Power Efficient the Wii U is. Uses less Power than PS3 and 360

gohanrage

Release Date: May 23, 2013
Category: Action, Adventure
No. of Players: 2 players simultaneous
ESRB: E

gohanrage

gohanrage said:

I have no idea why there is a GAP in between each Line they aren't there when I press Edit