Don't Worry, There Are More Sega Game Gear Titles Coming To 3DS Virtual Console

Posted by Damien McFerran

Columns, Sonic and Shining Force all inbound

We've not seen many Game Gear releases for the 3DS Virtual Console lately, but thankfully it has been confirmed during today's Nintendo Direct broadcast that the situation will be changing soon.

It's taken quite some time, but the following Game Gear games will be hitting the western 3DS eShops in the near future:

Do any of those titles take your fancy? We personally can't wait to play Shining Force on our 3DS. Post a comment to let us know which ones you're aching to get your hands on.

Dpullam

Dpullam said:

Those are some pretty interesting choices from the game gear selection. At first glance I thought that it was the Sonic the Hedgehog from the Sega Genesis that was finally coming to the eshop. I would prefer to have Japan's 3D Classics version though.

Late

Late said:

Only one game I want from that list and that game is Shining Force. I love Shining Force 1 and 2.

Barbiegurl777

Barbiegurl777 said:

It'll be nice to have more gamegear titles on the 3ds vc. :)

I never had a gamegear when I was younger so all the gamegear games being released on the 3ds vc are all new to me. :)

Can't wait! :D

Happy Gaming! (^_^)

Sonicfan11589

Sonicfan11589 said:

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 GG CAN be very difficult, the save states will be very welcome in this case. :)

I want possibly ALL the Sonic games, MAYBE i won't get Sonic Drift 2, didn't seem that fun when playing it in Sonic Adventure on the Gamecube.

Columns I have enjoyed on Sonic's Ultmate Genesis Collection.

Pichuka97

Pichuka97 said:

Well, it's about freaking time we get Labrynith and Blast!! I can't wait to rebuy some of these games. I really like playing Coloums and the Sonic games on my GameGear.

Rezalack

Rezalack said:

@Late Yup, Shining Force all the way. SF 1, 2, and 3 are some of the most amazing games I've ever played. I never knew this one even existed so this was easily the most surprising thing about this ND for me. Can't wait. :)

mystman12

mystman12 said:

Columns? COLUMNS?!?! WHY DOES EVERYONE LOVE COLUMNS SO MUCH?! What about Mean Bean Machine!!! Okay, I'm just kidding. :P Columns is fun, but what I'm really looking forward to is Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine!

Geonjaha

Geonjaha said:

I was interested in Vampire: Master of Darkness when I thought Castlevania would be months away from it, but now that I have it I don't really care. I might still get Defenders of Oasis at some point, but I have enough games on my plate right now. :P

Ralizah

Ralizah said:

Europe is getting everything first these days. :(

Anyway, happy to see this. I enjoyed my Sega Game Gear, and am glad to see some of its better titles coming to the 3DS.

anders190

anders190 said:

I will probably take a look on Columns at least.

I would personally prefer if Nintendo would start releasing (more) Gameboy Advanced titles on the 3DS eShop. Advance Wars anyone? :)

Ristar42

Ristar42 said:

The original Game Gear Sonic, one of my favourite versions - great news considering how good the 3DS emulator is!

MAN1AC

MAN1AC said:

This is an underrated handheld.
Hopefully they bring over some titles I don't have. Tales Adventure would be a nice start.

longtimegamer

longtimegamer said:

I noticed shinning force 2 before we get sf1 [if we do]I wonder why they so stuff like that? This is a common occurance on vc with sequels [like Sword of Hope 2, and others I can't think of right now].

SparkOfSpirit

SparkOfSpirit said:

Sonic 1 8-bit and Tails Adventure should be great.

Here's hoping for Shinobi 2 and Super Columns eventually.

FiveDigitLP

FiveDigitLP said:

I've never played any of these games, but I was reading on Wikipedia that Crystal Warriors and Shining Force are similar to Fire Emblem. Can anyone who's played them confirm this? Because if it's true, then I'll definitely be buying them. I can never get enough tactical RPGs in my life!

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

Yay, Tails' Adventure :) Unfinished business.
I'm interested in that Shining Force.
I also got a little excited when I saw Defenders of Oasis thinking its gameplay was like Beyond Oasis for the Genesis, but... I'll wait for a review on that one.

RR529

RR529 said:

Shining Force II, Defenders of Oasis, G-Loc Air Battle, Vampire: Master of Darkness, and possibly Tails' Adventure for me!

Ueoua

Ueoua said:

I'll get Columns, Sonic the Hedgehog and Sonic the Hedgehog 2. I have fond memories of the Game Gear.

Sonicfan11589

Sonicfan11589 said:

I still have my old Game Gear and games, but it doesn't look like I'll need to use it anymore since all the games i own and enjoy are on or coming to 3DS VC.

Emaan

Emaan said:

Very nice to see more Sega games on the 3DS Virtual Console, what if someday we get Dreamcast games on the Wii U Virtual Console?

TheXboxHero

TheXboxHero said:

Sonic Labyrinth is spelled as Sonic "Layrinth"

Also, I think SEGA should consider bringing some of those virtual console titles to the Wii U. I think it would be a really great fit and addition~

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

I used to play the hell out of my Sega Master System back in the day. I wish some SMS games would make it to the 3DS, like Land of Illusion or California Games. At least Game Gear's Sonic 2 is pretty much the same as the (superb, might I add) SMS one, right?

EDIT: Oh, there's Master of Darkness in there too! It's a pretty cool Castlevania clone.

SparkOfSpirit

SparkOfSpirit said:

Game Gear Sonic 2 is WAY harder than Master System Sonic 2. For one there is a lot of blind jumps and the first boss is amazingly difficult.

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

@SparkOfSpirit Being a fan of insanely hard platformers, that's actually good to hear. Is it the same game otherwise, though? (I mean worlds and emerald locations, for example.)

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

YES! Shining Force II! Defenders of Oasis! Crystal Warriors!

...And I still need to get that Ninja game from the last batch. :(

mystman12

mystman12 said:

@Emaan At first I thought you said "Dreamcast Virtual Console to 3DS" not to
Wii U, but then I realized that they actually probably could bring Dreamcast games to 3DS Virtual Console. That would be cool! The bottom screen could be the LCD display, and the 3DS has all the buttons all in the same places.

thefabfour64

thefabfour64 said:

Finally! North America has a total of 3 GG games and they all came out on the same day in March 2012.

Gioku

Gioku said:

I saw a Game Gear at a game store near where I live, and I had read that it was big; but damn those things are huge! I'm glad I've got the chance to play the games on something significantly smaller! :) I've never played a Sonic game before, so I'll probably get Sonic 1 & 2.

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

@Emaan Then it'll take a couple years for us to get the same Dreamcast games on the PSN and XBLA with less features, and probably a higher price. I'm not looking forward to it, honestly.

akabenjy

akabenjy said:

OMG Shining Force II is my favourite tactical RPG of all time. I'm so happy:D

akabenjy

akabenjy said:

OMG Shining Force II is my favourite tactical RPG of all time. I'm so happy:D

UnseatingKDawg

UnseatingKDawg said:

Sonic the Hedgehog 2. That was my first game ever - I still have my dad's cartridge and Game Gear (but, the system has shown its age - you can barely see what's on the screen anymore). That, and I feel it's the superior Sonic 2.

UnseatingKDawg

UnseatingKDawg said:

@ricklongo: Oh, no. Sonic 2 for Game Gear is RADICALLY different. For one, there's 7 completely different Zones. For two, the Chaos Emeralds are not obtained via Special Stages - you have to hunt them down. For three, the first boss is indeed hard - all boss stages have no Rings, so any wrong move is fatal. But despite the difficulty ("The History of Sonic the Hedgehog" claims it to be the hardest game in the series), it's an awesome game to play.

SheldonRandoms

SheldonRandoms said:

There's also a game gear version of Ristar, hopefully they put that on the virtual console some day, but more game gear games the better.

Nono18

Nono18 said:

Defenders of Oasis!! I had this game when I was a kid loved it...can't wait!!

SwerdMurd

SwerdMurd said:

Awe no phantasy star gaiden... Shining force is awesome though - one of if not the strongest games on the console

RetroGBHippie92

RetroGBHippie92 said:

I've been holding out to try Game Gear games, I never owned one and I don't think they sold them in my country, either that or they were just like the PSP (not as popular or well supported). I of course opted for Gameboy because it was the first handheld I saw, speaking of gameboy, why hasn't nintendo been so quiet with those releases, maybe we have all the good titles, anyone think of a reason?

GamerZack87

GamerZack87 said:

Wait a minute...does that mean PALese gamers will soon be able to get Sonic Drift Racing and Tails' Adventure as well?! :D

WinterWarm

WinterWarm said:

YES! Sonic and Sonic 2! YES! I have a Sega Genesis and I LOVE THOSE GAMES! I'm uber-excited! :)

Midnight3DS

Midnight3DS said:

Thinking about it, I played the Genesis version of Mean Bean Machine. Can anyone tell me the differences... if any?

Captain_Gonru

Captain_Gonru said:

Chicago Syndicate. A side-scrolling fighter with a cool mechanic, where you only had a year of in-game time to take down the five gangs. Each supplied something different to the other four. So if you take down the gun supplier, for instance, everyone else's weapons were weaker, or non-exsistent. Not a perfect game, but fun, nonetheless.

UnseatingKDawg

UnseatingKDawg said:

@Midnight3DS: Aside from graphics, the Game Gear version has a "Puzzle Mode" where you have a limited number of beans to clear a level. I think there might be another difference, but I'm not entirely sure.