Special Luigi 3DS XL System Coming To Japan

Posted by Tim Latshaw

The XL stands for "Xtra Luigi"

The Year of Luigi has seen some promising products on the way for the Cult of the Green, but what may be the piece de resistance is currently limited to Japan.

A special edition Luigi 3DS XL system was announced during the Japan Nintendo Direct Wednesday. Similar to the Animal Crossing: New Leaf system that was announced today for Western release. The Luigi 3DS XL features silhouettes of the brave(-ish) plumber on a white backdrop.

The Luigi 3DS XL is expected to be released 18th June and includes a pre-installed copy of Mario and Luigi: Dream Team on its SD card.

What do you think to the design? Would you pick one up? Let us know by dropping a comment below.

[via destructoid.com]

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

Wonder if this will be in as high demand in NA and EU as the Pikachu model was (not sure if Pikachu xl has made it to EU or not yet).

Portista

Portista said:

Really cool looking! Might someday upgrade to XL, but now for now content with 3DS.

DarkKirby

DarkKirby said:

Does the Luigi 3DS XL come with a 2nd Circle pad to represent Luigi as the 2nd of a pair?

BakaKnight

BakaKnight said:

Oh gosh, Nintendo is really serius about this being Luigi's year XD

I guess they are making up for having left the poor green plumber in Mario's shadow for too too long, but.. gosh... how much bad are they feeling about it? O.O;

Anyway nice looking 3DS XL and love how Nintendo took itself so so seriously over even the silliest intentions ^O^

@Five-seveN The Pikachu XL got in Europe even before US actually ^^

WiiULoveSquid

WiiULoveSquid said:

It's cool that it's Luigi but the actual design looks too made for Japan with those pastel greens on white for me. Il love an all green one with some Luigi on it!

BadKitty

BadKitty said:

Pfff I can just put Luigi shaped stickers on what I got. Lets see $199 dollars or $5~ n_n

iphys

iphys said:

It looks better than the Animal Crossing one (Japan always gets the best special designs), but I probably still wouldn't buy it: it's still a little too busy looking and white is just asking to get stained.

Ecto-1

Ecto-1 said:

Hehe, at first, I thought that it was supposed to look like the grass from Animal Crossing. Would have preferred a Luigi's Mansion themed one.

Austroid

Austroid said:

Pretty cool, but I would prefer a simpler design. Maybe just a green 3DS with his L on it, or a giant darker green version of his sihouette in front of a lighter green 3DS.

FOURSIDE_BOY

FOURSIDE_BOY said:

I hope this one comes to america, I really like it, just trying to find an excuse to change from regular 3ds to xl really.

Weedy

Weedy said:

Technically, the tagline "The XL stands for "Xtra Luigi" doesn't work since this model is coming out in Japan where they call it a 3DS LL!

Mk_II

Mk_II said:

Hey Nintendo of Europe, the 18th of June is my 50th birthday. As a long time customer and supporter i would really appreciate a nice present (hint, hint!)

Prof_Elvin_Gadd

Prof_Elvin_Gadd said:

I picked up the Pikachu XL, but I'll have to get this as well if it does in fact come to the US. I just love Luigi too much not to get this!

Konata

Konata said:

@DerpSandwich
That is what I was thinking.
Green is my favorite color, but this looks ugly.
I would have liked a solid forest green with a little white Luigi hat design on the top left or right corner. That would have looked really nice.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

Idk what yall are talkin about. This is the dopest 3ds I've ever laid eyes upon. I'm secure enough to not worry about whether some see it as girly. I see it as art, and the busy design works well imo

Pachterkid

Pachterkid said:

We're all entitled to our opinions here, but I have to say that I think that thing is pretty ugly. The design looks like germs under a microscope.

BossBattles

BossBattles said:

kinda ugly, no? they should have done a Luigi Green , with a small logo of him in the middle, or corner. i dunno...

solcross

solcross said:

Normally I don't really care for special system designs, but I kinda like this one.

rjejr

rjejr said:

"The XL stands for "Xtra Luigi""

I just came to say: good one. But yeah, it's lackluster at best, ugly at worst.

But since I'm here I'll continue my pitch for a WiiU Pikmin 3 makeover :-)

SennaKurosaki

SennaKurosaki said:

@Rockman and @Five-seveN
I still see lots of the special edition yellow Pikachu 3DS XL for sale at my local MediaMarkt in Holland. Price is 199 euro. I have one and I like it a lot. Outside is yellow, with a big Pikachu (and some stupid technical text) and the inside is white, with white buttons. It's quite gorgeous!

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

I would definitely want one, if it was simply a reflective(3ds) Luigi green(as in, the same green color used in Luigi's character design), or even just that same green, but non reflective(3ds xl), w/ Luigi's L logo, his hat w/ the same logo, or maybe the image of Luigi throwing a fireball, from NSMB series artwork. Nintendo really needs to implement more special designs, but not go overboard. That'd be awesome! :)