Original DuckTales Not Coming To Virtual Console

Posted by Andy Green

The remastered version won't be coming to 3DS either

The gaming world has been buzzing since Capcom announced DuckTales: Remastered and as expected people have been clamoring for information on the upcoming release.

Thankfully, senior vice president Christian Svensson has been on hand to give us a few answers to our neverending questions. Earlier in the day he revealed how WayForward Technologies ended up developing the remake, saying it was actually Disney that made the decision.

Of course, the news of a new version of DuckTales has left people wondering if the original would make it onto the 3DS or Wii U Virtual Consoles. However, Svensson confirmed on the Capcom Unity forums the deal with Disney only involves releasing it in its new form and not as a rerelease on other platforms. It won't find itself in the Remastered version either, due to too many changes being implemented.

Speaking of other platforms, if you were hoping DuckTales: Remastered would make it to the 3DS you'll be disappointed as Capcom won't be releasing it on handheld formats. Svensson also said there are no plans for a demo at this current time.

Many people have also been wondering if the new edition will feature the same voice actors found in the original and Svensson has revealed all of them are making a return for the remastering:

Scrooge's voice actor is now 94 years old but he still came into the studio and did his thing like a pro. The voice work really adds a lot to the package.

What are your thoughts on all this news? Are you a tad disappointed this isn't coming to 3DS? Let us know in the comments below.

[via capcom-unity.com, capcom-unity.com, capcom-unity.com, capcom-unity.com]

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

Fine by me. So long as they do a good enough job, it won't be needed. As for no 3DS version, I'm not sure why anyone wanted it in the first place. The screen would be too squashed.

Oh, and there will be a demo. XBLA requires it, so they might as well put one out there on other platforms as well.

SparkOfSpirit

SparkOfSpirit said:

That screen's from DuckTales 2.

Honestly, they could have included it as an unlockable but this remake is better than nothing.

Thuggy

Thuggy said:

That game was like a major game i played on my gba sp when i was like 7/8 i was so addicted to this game i think i beat it a few times back to back

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

That's too bad, especially for those of us that are interested in the remastered version but never played the original.

Still cool to see that the familiar voice-actors are back!

EdJericho

EdJericho said:

That's odd of them to say since in the trailer at the very end when it shows all the fine print of all the copyright info for Sony, MS, and Nintendo it says "If you do not have the Nintendo eShop on the Nintendo 3DS main menu, you will need to perform a system update." I guess that could've been a botch in there part since there is no mention of Wii U within that fine print yet mentions for PS3 and 360.

Oscarsome

Oscarsome said:

Wow, that's great that the now 94-year old voice actor is coming in for Scrooge's voice. More authentic now. :)

Banjogeek

Banjogeek said:

@007 watch this be his last game he is really old.The last game I remember Scoorge in was Birth By Sleep.

berenlazarus

berenlazarus said:

Amazing bit of trivia: original voice actor of Scrooge McDuck is Allan Young, who played Wilbur Post in the 1960s TV series about that famous talking horse, MIster Ed. Found that out a year or two ago and was astounded to know that.

brooks83

brooks83 said:

I definately am dissapointed that the original won't come to the VC, but perhaps if the remake sells well they will change their mind. And maybe Disney will be tempted to bring their own self published games to the VC as well. So basically, everyone buy DuckTales!

Peach64

Peach64 said:

4 of the last 5 articles in the latest news section are about Duck Tales. Bit much?

Emaan

Emaan said:

At least it's being remade at all, let's all remember that shall we. :D

MagicEmperor

MagicEmperor said:

If people want to play the original game... then they should get the original game. This is a different game, lest we not forget. The idea of people being initially excited, only to angrily renounce this game now that the original is confirmed not to be packaged along, annoys me. Yes, I love the original game, too. It's one of my ten favorite games of all time. Yes, one of my dreams is a Disney-Capcom compilation disc. And, yes, I really wish Disney games would show up on Virtual Console, always have. But to say this is a complete and total dealbreaker is just, in my harsh opinion, stupid.

By the way, I'm not particularly referencing anyone here in Nintendo Life's comments section. I've been seeing this all around the Internet. I consider this game's very existence a miracle, so the select few gamers still finding reasons to complain about it annoys me more than it should.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

@KnightRider666 I still say it happens. They would be stupid not to put it on the 3ds as a lot of kids would pick it up. I actually think its a better fit for the 3ds! Can't see it doing all that well on Xbox to be honest!

NintendoMaster

NintendoMaster said:

@Tech101 The Wii U needs exclusive titles. Right now especially in order to sell systems. Obviously people won't buy Wii U just for this game, but it will add to a growing library of exclusives that will make buying a Wii U harder to resist.

MagicEmperor

MagicEmperor said:

June Foray (Magica) is 95 years old. Is this a world record for oldest voice actress in a video game?

MagicEmperor

MagicEmperor said:

I'm getting this for my Wii U. I would feel a little dirty playing this on a non-Nintendo system, to be honest.

ogo79

ogo79 said:

scrooge has always been my role model as i was growing up. i wanted to live just like him! look at me now ma and pa!

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

@NintendoMaster I don't disagree with that at all but they have a much better chance to make money if on the 3ds. I don't think it will come out right away but maybe 6 months to a year later!

realar

realar said:

Alan Young and June Foray, oldest voice gems in the industry today. Love you guys!

idork99

idork99 said:

A tad bit disappointed at Capcom's decision in not bringing the game to the 3DS. Still, I'll get this game when I eventually pick up a Wii U (after a price drop).

Chomposaur

Chomposaur said:

as expected, what would Disney rather have you buying the $5 NES version of the game or the $15/XX version of the game ? A simple business decision

Again it would have been nice if we had the original and the remake i bet you people out there would buy both. or unless you can unlock it after you complete it ? just a theory.

WaLzgiStaff

WaLzgi said:

@Tech101 Problem is they'd have to make a separate version for the 3DS. Otherwise you'll need a magnifying glass to see the game (see Rayman Origins)

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

Not a big problem, as long as Duck Tales Remastered live up to the original. I'll enjoy it all the same, beside I still got my NES and Game Boy carts for all the nostalgic Duck Tales need whenever I want.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

@LzQuacker @CanisWolfred Lz that's why its time to step up to XL's! :P

I know that's not an option for everyone but I thought the recent Mickey looked fine on it even though those characters were to small. I also know it would need more work done as its not a simple port but I'm sure it would be worth all interests while to do so!

Canis I was just referring to the Wii U version as I know it will sell well on the other two.

RantingThespian

RantingThespian said:

It would be nice if it made it to the 3DS, or to have the original. However, this remaster looks amazing!

Moshugan

Moshugan said:

Has probably been said a thousand times already, but if they have no intention of releasing the remaster on 3DS, then it would be smart to give the original on VC for that audience.

Cevan

Cevan said:

That's a shame. It is good to hear however that the original voice actors are returning.

Now all we need is a reboot of DuckTales on television. :p

ouroborous

ouroborous said:

geeeez, i want DTR for 3DS dammmit! dont neglect the handhelds dammmit :(
arrrghhh! dammmit..
oh well... it was only a remake technically anyway...

3DSLUIGI

3DSLUIGI said:

I don't mean to sound like a complete jerk saying this, but imo, I think CAPCOM made one of the most idiotic decisions of their entire time at PAX. I can understand not putting DuckTales Remastered out on 3DS, but when you say no to putting out DuckTales from the NES or GAME BOY , to me, that's a COMPLETE insult to ppl who played the game before hoping to replay it again through the Virtual Console services.

ThreadShadow

ThreadShadow said:

Oh, I'm very disappointed about no VC release of the originals. Don't Capcom and Disney like money?

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

@Tech101

It probably would perform best on 3DS but I'm just happy something is on the way. Depending on which system gets it first I'll get it for 360 or PS3, I think the game will actually sell decently on those systems.

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

I guess that means we can't hope for 3D Classics version either. :|
It's too bad really, i'd have loved to play the game in 60Hz. I'd also download a freaking lot of other Capcom Disney VC games.

Dizzard

Dizzard said:

It's a shame. I might have picked it up if it came to the 3DS.....but I don't really have an interest in the Wii U right now.

Sneaker13

Sneaker13 said:

It's awesome that they've got the original voice actor of Scrooge back in the studio's. Can't wait for that. Don't mind the lack of a VC version of NES classic. I still have the original NES cartridge and both GB cartridges. Still looking for Duck Tales 2 for the NES for a reasonable price.

accc

accc said:

I'd rather have the original for $5 than buy the overpriced remake tbh. 15 bucks for a game which takes less than an hour to complete? No thank you.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

And yet there's a lot of Disney PS1 games in the Playstation Store....

That aren't anything to do with Capcom.

masterLEON

masterLEON said:

I got to play the demo at PAX East, the voiceovers had me smiling from ear to ear. So nostalgic!

Beau_Skunk

Beau_Skunk said:

@CanisWolfred
Why? Because not all of us have a WiiU, and besides, the 3D-ish backgrounds would've looked cool on the 3DS, so I'm kinda disapointed personally.

Henmii

Henmii said:

Well, duh! It would canibalize the sales of the remake, since a lot of people would opt for the (presumably) cheaper original!

But they could always add the original to the VC in the future!

Nekketsu3D

Nekketsu3D said:

ehm,,, not release for 3ds.... and notice for pc port version??? crapcom sucks... really