Disney Infinity Heading to Wii U, Wii and 3DS This Summer

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Golly, that's a lot of platforms

Late last year details emerged of Disney Infinity, a title that incorporates real-life figurines and a portal concept made popular by the Skylanders series, while adding a great deal of customisation and a sandbox environment to encourage freedom and experimentation. Disney Interactive has now unveiled a host of new details, along with a flashy trailer that reveals the concept and some in-game footage.

As revealed previously, two distinct areas will be available, the "Play Set" areas will have specific challenges and puzzles to conquer that will also unlock characters, vehicles and gadgets that can then be used in the "Toy Box". The Toy Box is very much your own play area, where you create your own environments and generally be as wacky as possible, with the option to share these areas with friends online or, apparently, even when offline.

While the idea of putting a toy on a portal is nothing new, Disney has revealed that the options will be broader — and the strain on wallets undoubtedly higher — with additional items and power ups that all use the portal. Disney is billing Disney Infinity as a "platform" that will expand for years to come (DLC ahoy) which is coming to every major platform — including Wii U, Wii and 3DS — as well as mobile devices later in the year. Below is an excerpt from a fact sheet with some details on the extensive range of collectible items that'll be available to buy for use with the portal, in this case called the "Infinity Base":

Disney Infinity will initially introduce a line of 40 collectible interactive figures - characters, “Play Set” pieces and power discs - that allow players to expand and customize their play experiences. Over time, Disney Infinity will release additional characters and “Play Sets” and this platform will constantly evolve.

• 17 interactive character figures allow players to experience a variety of their favourite characters in each ”Play Set” and in "Toy Box" play
  • 3 “Play Set” pieces that add new Disney and Disney•Pixar “Play Set” locations
  • 20 power discs enhance environments, add gadgets and more

It's undoubtedly a concept full of promise that is currently promising a summer release, and below you can check out the trailer and some screenshots. Let us know what you make of it, and whether you think it can rival Activision's hugely successful Skylanders series.

47drift

47drift said:

I think this could easily knock Skylanders out of the park. As a Disney fan and collector myself, I was getting really excited watching the trailer and thinking about the possibilities of what characters could be in it. I'd just pick up a handful of my favorites and be good to go. Looks great.

Whopper744

Whopper744 said:

If I have to buy a bunch of toys to go with this, I don't know if this is such a good idea now...low on funds, even though I am a big Disney Fan.

efaulk84

efaulk84 said:

Seems like Disney was getting also Tired of waiting for Kingdom Hearts 3. I wish Disney would buy Square Enix for they have not been making good Business Decisions for the past Decade.

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

@SheldonRandoms You're right, it's different from Skylanders in gameplay, but it's sure relying on selling a lot of toys! Similar business plan, definitely.

Eien1239

Eien1239 said:

I don't think you guys seen the prices

13 dollars for additional characters
75 for the starter pack

this game had better be worth for those that want it. Losing faith in the industry altogether.

Superconsole

Superconsole said:

I think this actually looks pretty cool! Especially the Nightmare Before Christmas area! :D Sandbox games are always on my radar.

Epicnessofme99

Epicnessofme99 said:

I have to say this looks really cool, the only weird thing about it is the Art style but I could get over that.

OracleOfTruth

OracleOfTruth said:

You want to know what's ironic? I recently saw an advert saying that "Skylanders is a proud sponsor of Disney Channel". It seems that Skylanders is funding its own doom.

Donjwolf

Donjwolf said:

I bet none of Disney's TV characters will be in this game. Not that I was going to get this anyway, but it's sad when the TV characters don't get any attention. KH never had them.

Squid

Squid said:

I like seeing Jack and the Tangled area (Sully's frying pan sure is familiar), as well as lots of other Disney characters, being a big Disney fan. Only thing I'm afraid of is their over-use of the popular Pixar characters (like Cars and Toy Story, but it would just be nice to see other characters too.) and I'd like to see older characters, like Gaston, as @SheldonRandoms said. But if nothing Wreck-It Ralph appears I'll be pretty disappointed.

Bankai

Bankai said:

@Eien1239 Given these are collectible miniatures, that price is more than reasonable.

I think this is a brilliant marketing play, and I can't see this being anything less than a massive hit.

I'm surprised Square Enix hasn't announced something similar, frankly.

rjejr

rjejr said:

The best part of Toy Story 3 for me was by far the open world - which I think got left out of the Wii version. And we really like Skylanders and have about 2 dozen characters.

So, I think this will be a good game, but we'll pass, b/c I can't afford another "collectable" anything. Besides the Skylanders characters my kids also collect Pokemon characters and Ninjago Legos.

Too bad, as it does look like fun, but I can't do it. I may buy an Agent P. toy though.

Skylanders does have "pieces" that come in the adventure packs, which also include extra chapter areas.

I wonder how "open" they can make this. I'm kind of worn out on Monsters, Pirates and The Incredibles. Disney Universe was underwhelming.

Therian

Therian said:

Ohh noo....not a Figure/portal rip off....
Maybe this will look okay if it has a huge character roster...

zoroarkrules25

zoroarkrules25 said:

Remember when this was first announced? Disney said they will constantly be releasing characters for this. That means there will be a huge amount of characters added to this all the time so we could see any disney character.

HaastMK7

HaastMK7 said:

That looks very impressive. I think it will really but SkyLanders back on the shelves

Mk_II

Mk_II said:

Meh... Disney stopped being exciting 50 years ago. Now if Nintendo themselves created some interactive figurines based on their franchises, i'd be hooked for life and they'd make a bundle.

Guitardude7

Guitardude7 said:

DAMMIT. I F******* hate the collectible figurine concept. it's a money pit! And it's gonna be so annoying keeping track of all those figurines! This is why I hate Skylanders its a waste of money! God that just kills it for me. Screw the greedy bastard that came up with it.

ianmage1

ianmage1 said:

I'm glad to see the Tangled references.

If this game is taken seriously and literally has every Disney concept that ever existed, this game to could be insane. But it could easily be a failure; I hate the figurine idea...

Bulbousaur

Bulbousaur said:

Would be cool, if I didn't have to buy a £7 figure whenever I want to play as a different character...

Bankai

Bankai said:

@Guitardude7 The irony of someone commenting on a video game website about a waste of money is not lost on anyone halfway sane, I hope you realise.

astroshamu

astroshamu said:

This looks way more intense than skylanders, I Hope they have characters from tangled, Maximus would be awesome to play as, the frying pan Sully is holding hopefully means that this will happen

sweetiepiejonus

sweetiepiejonus said:

@Guitardude7

Greedy bastard? More like billionaire genius. And now that Disney is getting in on the action I really think this could surpass Skylanders. The reason may not even have to be due to a superior game, but the collectibles alone.

Activision is making a ton for sure but Disney collectors have been doing it for like 60+ years. I'll bet people who won't even buy the game will still buy every single item in the line.

Austroid

Austroid said:

Oh man I'm already getting tempted, and my dad is a huge Disney fanatic to boot! I could see him just buying the figures! I'm hoping The Mad Doctor will be playable, since he's been literally ignored merch-wise by Disney besides being in the Epic Mickey games.

Peach64

Peach64 said:

Why is the art direction so odd? The Sully and Jack Sparrow models look like something from a Lego game. You own them, Disney, make them look they way they do in your films...

Late

Late said:

Looks like I would've enjoyed this game as a kid. Some of the characters look really odd. I don't like the way they are designed.

Guitardude7

Guitardude7 said:

@sweetiepiejonus Yes, Greedy bastard. I think this collectible figure crap is worse than DLC. When I buy a game, that's all I want, just the game. Why make me put more money into a game I already bought? At least DLC has its limits and isn't really required to complete the main game in some cases, but with Disney they're going to keep releasing these stupid figures which means more money out of my pocket. AND THERE'S OVER 40 OF THEM. F*** that. It had such great potential but now it's resorting to greedy business tactics. Really disappointed me. Yes it's marketing genius but that doesn't mean it's worth paying for.

erv

erv said:

It looks fun, but let's see them make a great game, not just a great character cameo showreel.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

I'm surprised only one other person noticed Wreck-It Ralph in there.

As a Disney fan, this looks seriously cool to me. While the idea of buying lots of figurines to play a game seems daunting with other games that interest me, I could just as well collect them for a Disney collection anyway, since Disney was big into collectables long before Activision ever thought about doing it.

Let's really hope that they can truly deliver. It'd be even cooler if they also brought characters from lesser known Disney films along with the recent and most popular ones.

Svengoolie

Svengoolie said:

It looks like it could be awesome, but I don't care for any of the 3 launch movies. There should be some classic Disney stuff in there.

fortius54

fortius54 said:

This seems to be a pretty ambitious title. I will of course be picking it up, but if they can do what they say they want to do, it will be amazing. I know that XBox and PS3 are shown, but this late in their life cycle will they make it on there. This may be one of the deciding factors in which next gen system I purchase.

shinobi88

shinobi88 said:

Grown man...seeking infinite joy that life has attempted to rob...Buzz Lightyear...fun...but...hardcore gamer...can't...screw it...DISNEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Morpheel

Morpheel said:

I didn't care for skylanders... But I totally want this!

I'll only get characters I care for though. No collecting involved.

Phle

Phle said:

This game looks interesting. But I already own a bunch of Skylanders toys, and they take up space. It's really annoying. It's way too much space for one game. If you could save the toy in the game so you could throw away the physical toy, then we would be talking. Or download characters WITHOUT getting the toy. Oh, wait, that would kill the entire idea... I wont be buy this right away. If they will be releasing new figures on a regular basis, I'll at least wait until something good comes along.

astroshamu

astroshamu said:

Wow I also just realized theirs gonna be tangled characters, didn't even realize the lantern environment from the movie the first time I watched this, can't wait it looks awesome