Yellow Pikachu Nintendo 3DS XL Coming to Japan

Posted by Darren Calvert

Gotta catch 'em all

Lucky Japanese gamers will soon be able to grab themselves a Pikachu themed Nintendo 3DS XL, which we think looks rather snazzy. The "Pokémon Center Original Nintendo 3DS XL Pikachu Yellow" will be released on 15th September, but only to customers who have preordered from one of the Pokémon Center stores in Sapporo, Tohoku, Tokyo, Yokohama, Nagoya, Osaka, and Fukuoka.

This limited edition console is very obviously yellow on the outside and appears to be white on the inside.

The Pikachu Yellow 3DS XL will set you back 18,900 Yen (£151 / €193 / $238 USD) and will no doubt prove to be a smash hit with Pokémon fans who simply must catch 'em all. Preorders can be placed from 25th August.

Who'd like to get their hands on one of these yellow bad boys?

[via pokemon.co.jp]

sillygostly

sillygostly said:

That looks awesome. I would so buy one of these. I want to get a 3DS XL but the current colours are just awful. I wonder what the Pikachu system looks like from the inside (or if its just black like the regular 3DS XL models =/).

BenAV

BenAV said:

It would look cool if it wasn't for the white... that just looks stupid if you ask me.

Kirk

Kirk said:

Cheap marketing gimmick to sell a few more systems quickly and increase the sales figures much?

Mk_II

Mk_II said:

@Kirk it is in all our interest to see Nintendo back in profit. And they have discovered a long time ago that limited editions are a sure-fire hit because we just cant get enough of them. That's not a ploy, that is knowing your market.

Highwinter

Highwinter said:

I'd love one of these, it reminds me of my old Gameboy Colour.
I also like that it's not the anime Pikachu design.

19Robb92

19Robb92 said:

Looks cheap. But I'm not the biggest Pokemon fan out there either so maybe I'm not one to judge.

abINC4L

abINC4L said:

Ugh, I want this but I can't afford it! Plus I'd have to buy a new clear case along with a new carrying case so ><

Lalivero

Lalivero said:

I'm thinking about an XL but don't like the colors that will be available in NA. : I would so buy this though if it were coming out here.

Why can't I get an orange 3ds XL like I've been waiting for? Tired of all of this red/blue/black/white. We need more colors; the purple was a start.

Pokefanmum82

Pokefanmum82 said:

Damn I wish I lived in Japan. I'm a big pokemon fan, I'd so get this 3DS XL if they released that here. Although I bet when the sixth generation pokemon games come out they will release a limited edition 3DS XL like they did when black and white came out.

Lunapplebloom

Lunapplebloom said:

Oh cool! I wonder if this design may be saved for a Black Friday release. It would be like last year with the limited Zelda 3DS. Here is hoping.

TruenoGT

TruenoGT said:

@Chriiis 1000x yes on the orange! Red is a close second for me and since they've never had a red on the first release of a new hardware iteration (except for Gameboy pocket maybe??), I've never had a red handheld because I'm too weak to wait for other colors! This Pikachu one is pretty awesome too though.

Barbiegurl777

Barbiegurl777 said:

I've never been into pokemon but have alway's liked pikachu he's just really cute. :)

I'm not getting the 3ds xl content with regular 3ds for now. :)

That is a really cute design though. ;)

Happy Gaming! (^_^)

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

That would sell like hot cakes Nintendo. How could you not bring that to America.

Cloud-San-VII

Cloud-San-VII said:

This gives me a reason to: go to Japan and/or buy it on eBay, get a 3DS XL, and get a Japanese 3DS for games that don't get localized.

Contrary

Contrary said:

MY God, I want this so bad. wish US would get this beauty. The things I'd do for it...

Chuie

Chuie said:

omg i want this so bad and i hate the XL but this this ish so amazing x3

Sherman

Sherman said:

Nipples, nipples, nipples.

I want a normal color, like black, white or grey. Why do we only have red and blue in America (the continent)?

Knuckles

Knuckles said:

@Sherman Why did I know that was your comment before seeing the name :(

Now make a Typhosion Red, or Charzard Red version. :D

Haxonberik

Haxonberik said:

Mmm I'm a fan of Pokemon but I don't like having drawings on my DSs. I would mind if it was only eyes, cheeks, nose and mouth, but a whole Pikachu doesn't look right.

rjejr

rjejr said:

How could this not sell?

I don't see nipples, I see armpit hair.

My wife - who knows way more about Pokemon (all 5,000 episodes of the tv show, not the games) than you do - says this doesn't look as much like Pikachu, it's looks like Pichu, b/c his face is too round. Even if it looked like Big bird I'm sure they'd still sell it as Pikachu though.

Morphbug

Morphbug said:

Well, actually the anime still uses the old design for pikachu, which has a different head shape, in gen 4 they redesigned (rounder head, fatter body) it and it has been like this in all other media ever since.

AlphaLink

AlphaLink said:

How do I simultaneously want and not want this thing? ._.
It's freaking awesome, but at the same time... It's just Pikachu, and playing anything else but Pokemon would be awkward on it.
...But then again, it's freaking awesome...

Gridatttack

Gridatttack said:

The color scheme is awesome. I would like a model that doesn't have pikachu and I would buy a 3DSXL.

Phle

Phle said:

Aw, why does Japan always get this kind of stuff? I'm not crazy about yellow, but this model has a Pikachu painted on the outside...

It has a dragon painted on the blade. (South Park)

Kyhunsheo

Kyhunsheo said:

I would be more likely to buy system's that have themes. Even if they are a little more extra, I would definitely consider themed consoles.

NoUsernameHere

NoUsernameHere said:

HEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
GREAT! NOW MAKE A PANSAGE GREEN 3DS XL And we will be talking MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NoUsernameHere

NoUsernameHere said:

hmm...not too shabby,in the pokemon game after b&w 2 they should make charmander,bulbasaur and pichu a starter (pichu is only pichu cause he is unevolved)

NoUsernameHere

NoUsernameHere said:

then we will be talking
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

kathybaba

kathybaba said:

its white inside bcz the 3ds sides are blue or black so its basically black but the pikachu one is white

kathybaba

kathybaba said:

It's my birthday on fireworks day (5.11.12). I really wanna know when it's coming out because my mum might get the black one :( Maybe someone tell me when its coming out please? It'll be so awesome if i get that 3ds xl with pikachu on... he's so cutee