Watch: Japanese Nintendo Direct Live

Posted by Damien McFerran

Now updated with the video to watch at your leisure

Nintendo of Japan will host a new Nintendo Direct presentation today at 8PM JST (around 4AM PST for North American readers, and 12PM BST for those of you in UK).

EDIT: Here's the video in full.

The presentation will focus on 3DS and Wii. Nothing on Wii U, I'm afraid. The video is expected to last around 50 minutes.

Live Text - Updates will load here automatically, no need to refresh the page.

12:48

Additional videos now. Enjoy!

12:47

That's the end of the main presentation. Not sure what happened to the Wii announcements.

12:46

It's a new weapon. Hmmm.

12:45

Monster Hunter 4!

12:45

That was Friend Collection. It's no F-Zero, right?

12:44

Nintendo, you really do make me wonder sometimes.

12:43

Nice carpet!

12:42

DS stuff now.

12:40

Music and platforming combine!

12:40

Looks like Adventure Time, no?

12:40

Harmo Knight is up next.

12:39

Not sure that will ever come out in the west.

12:38

Nope, it's Denpa Ningen no RPG 2!

12:37

Tingle?

12:37

Download stuff now.

12:37

Hmmmmm.

12:37

Actually, we've just seen a lot of these.

12:36

A list of forthcoming 3DS titles now.

12:36

2012 release for that one.

12:35

Love the holographic effect on those stickers!

12:34

Full title is Paper Mario Super Seal.

12:33

Paper Mario 3DS now.

12:33

That pink 3DS XL you simply have to own is out in September, in Japan. Better start saving those pennies.

12:32

Where's Wally is in fact Kazuo Umezu, eccentric manga artist. Thanks, Twitter follower @themistern!

12:31

Animal Crossing! How I have missed you.

12:31

Pink 3DS klaxon!

12:29

Next up, it's Nintendo's attempt to win the Gears of War crowd: Wagamama Fashion Girls.

12:27

Ye Gods.

12:27

Or Waldo, if you're in America.

12:26

Where's Wally?

12:26

I love it when it he does that with his hand.

12:26

I prefer paper and pencils myself.

12:26

Shin Egokoro Kyoushitsu is on now, an art package.

12:25

Expected in 2013.

12:24

Professor Layton Choubunmei to A no Isan - the last Layton game, according to Hino.

12:23

It's a new Professor Layton title for 3DS!

12:22

Level-5 CEO Akihiro Hino is up now. Layton-talk COMMENCE

12:21

Naruto SD now. Love the art style!

12:21

22nd November in Japan for that one.

12:20

Already looks x10000 more fun than Lost Planet 3!

12:20

Interesting spin-off, this one.

12:19

EX Troopers next - J-Pop FTW!

12:19

November 15th, if you still care.

12:19

Three DS games on that one, for 3DS.

12:18

Yawn.

12:18

A collection of the previous games.

12:17

Inazuma Eleven now.

12:17

I think I need to wash myself after that one.

12:17

My god.

12:17

Actually, AKB48+Me is the best title for a game ever. Sorry, Bravely Default.

12:16

Project X Zone will launch October 11th in Japan. Expect a Western release some time in 2045.

12:16

Fantastic 2D art style on that one. Looks fab!

12:15

Chun Li and Morrigan - my dream pairing!

12:14

Project X Zone now - this is looking great!

12:12

Talking about the battle system now.

12:12

Game will showcase 300 abilities across 20 job types. Sweet!

12:12

12:11

Bravely Default is up next. Katy will be pleased!

12:11

Looks great, if you're into that kind of thing. The guitar-based soundtrack is bitchin'

12:10

First up, a new Medalot title: Medalot 7.

12:09

Third party software now.

12:08

There's a free downloadable companion app for Dragon Quest X.

12:07

Moving on, Dragon Quest X. This is a big deal in Japan!

12:07

I heard him say Coin Dash there. For reals.

12:07

It's all about the coins, right?

12:06

Talking about NSMB2 now.

12:05

That is one cool case.

12:05

Yep, this is for the forthcoming Kirby Collection for Wii.

12:05

Presumably something about his birthday?

12:04

KIRBY KLAXON.

12:03

Some stuff about a Japanese soccer/football tournament. Nothing exciting yet.

11:55

So, before we get started, what are your hopes? Majora's Mask on 3DS? A new F-Zero? And end to global suffering, perhaps?

11:51

Almost time. Have you all got your hot drinks ready?

So, is your body ready?

[via nintendo.co.jp]

Yasume

Yasume said:

Allright, let's watch this. Ain't got nothing better to do now anyways.

RupeeClock

RupeeClock said:

I'll stick to reading the report, whilst I get some work done with Game Grumps streaming in the background.
Hopefully we'll get some interesting news, like Animal Crossing 3DS, the rumoured Majora's Mask 3DS, wouldn't mind seeing news of a 3DS firmware update or Cave Story+ on the eShop.

3dbrains

3dbrains said:

12pm for UK? ie midnight!? ie 31st? or has this already happened (ie 12pm 29th?)

Hokori

Hokori said:

I can see it like the past Nintendo directs with an "available now" announcement or at least available in a few days like the Dillion's rolling wester one, KHDDD Demo, and folders

Geonjaha

Geonjaha said:

Yea...despite it making no sense, thats how it works. 10am, 11am, 12pm, 1pm etc...

Geonjaha

Geonjaha said:

All we can hope for is a completely new game announcement, because thats the only thing Japan can announce that will affect EU/US...

mrkuribo

mrkuribo said:

My body is ready and full of coffee and cookies. Hopefully we get some new info on Animal Crossing :).

Ichiban

Ichiban said:

damn, i could watch but gotta go grocery shopping!
hmmm... i can one night without food cant I? lol

iphys

iphys said:

Lol, not sure if I should watch and have no clue what they're saying the whole time.

rjejr

rjejr said:

So 50 minutes all in Japanese? That should help put me to sleep - just spent the night in a tent in my yard with my 2 sons. It's amazing how 2 boys who never seem to have to go to the bathroom have to go all night when they're outside in a tent.

Chris720

Chris720 said:

I'm hoping for games to start curing worlds diseases... the chances of this happening are slim.

Mok

Mok said:

Bruce Springsteen's "Land of hope and dreams" is playing in the background. My body is now ready!

rjejr

rjejr said:

Is that Mount Fuji? Is Godzilla going to burst out of the big red flaming symbol? We haven't had a Godzilla game since Unleashed, which wasn't all that good.

rjejr

rjejr said:

"Ask yourself, is there a better name for a game than Bravely Default Flying Fairy?"

If you'e making a game about the Stonewall riots. jk

Geonjaha

Geonjaha said:

Judging by what's come so far - I very much doubt Majora's Mask to be announced. Or anything interesting for that matter. >.>

Xilef

Xilef said:

The last Layton game? Last Layton game with Layton or the last game at all?

Purple-Pikmin

Purple-Pikmin said:

I cant imagine any of this japanese stuff coming to the west. to be honest, i thin we can do without anyway, the 'eww you like nintendo games, GAYY!!' jokes would go off the charts

Geonjaha

Geonjaha said:

It scares me that we have yet to see even one Animal Crossing screenshot with English on it.

19Robb92

19Robb92 said:

The amount of customization in this Animal Crossing title is unbelievable ._.

rastamadeus

rastamadeus said:

Going to be brutally honest: those two 'girl' games look chuffing awesome! Always up for a bit of rhythm action (especially to J-Pop) and that fashion one looks strangely captivating and is gorgeous visually. As was Iwata being paperised just then.

FluttershyGuy

FluttershyGuy said:

Nintendo, we require a Fluttershy-colored 3DS. Top screen pink, bottom screen yellow (quickly creates force field around self in anticipation of incoming debris)! :D

rjejr

rjejr said:

Oh great, now I have the Teletubbies theme song stuck in my head.

rastamadeus

rastamadeus said:

HarmoKnight looks superb! A Pokémon-free Game Freak game at last. Just need a Drill Dozer remake or sequel now :)

C-Olimar

C-Olimar said:

I'm pretty sure if the first Denpa Ningen game does well in the West (as it is already confirmed) we'll get the sequel.

rastamadeus

rastamadeus said:

PLUS(!) it's new Nitendo IP. Had quite a few already with the eShop. Just need Sakura Samurai and that in the UK now

Mok

Mok said:

A little bit disappointed that most games deploy a cutesy wutesy graphics for kids, is there nothing coming for like .. kids above the age of 11?

FluttershyGuy

FluttershyGuy said:

In response to Nintendo making you wonder: You're not the only one, or only one hundred thousandth probably. :p

rjejr

rjejr said:

Friend Collection looks like the 3DS version of NintednoLand.

Well it actually looks like MySims but I felt a Nintednoland tie-in.

rastamadeus

rastamadeus said:

Much rather have something unique and quirky like Friend Collection than yet another bland and boring Monster Quest. Realise I'm probably in the minority though.

Oooh? Coin Rush DLC news perhaps? fingers crossed even though it looks like just hints

SirSmugleaf

SirSmugleaf said:

That's the end???
AAAWWWW!!!
What about an end to global suffering????
You have disappointed me, Nintendo!

Mok

Mok said:

BayCraig100: I feel like they've just added their two yen to global suffering.

FluttershyGuy

FluttershyGuy said:

No F-Zero makes a sad FluttershyGuy. :(

Show's over? (Subtly waves hand) You can go about your business. Move along!

Mok

Mok said:

Bass_X0: The least you can expect is to understand what the guy is actually talking about.

FluttershyGuy

FluttershyGuy said:

We should've gotten some Mario Paint music for this segment (anybody else like to see Mario Paint 3DS or U?).

Lunapplebloom

Lunapplebloom said:

I never did Mario Paint, but both systems would suit it well from what I have seen. So, it's a yes from me. I hope they decide to give that a go ahead one day.

FluttershyGuy

FluttershyGuy said:

Hai! :)

@Applejacklove
It's lotsa fun, with all kinds of things to create (including music... check out MP-created songs on YouTube, there are TONS of every song imaginable), a fly swatting game to take a break with, and a great soundtrack! I hope they one day put it on VC (I think it would work fine without a mouse), along with Light Zapper and Super Scope 6 games (and plent of other games that were missed in the Wii VC era.

Well, I've had my morning entertainment. Back to sleep a lil while. cue Final Fantasy IV sleep jingle

Banker-Style

Banker-Style said:

I didn't watch it because it was for Japan,but nevertheless,a new Layton game,has brighten up my day.

Whopper744

Whopper744 said:

Looks like I didn't miss much for myself anyway. Sounds like the same stuff, and some Japanese exclusive games.

hydeks

hydeks said:

yay, I completely missed this Nintendo Direct, but it seems like the same stuff. They really need to make a Nintendo Direct for North America, europe, and japan presentation all on the same day so North American and Europian people don't watch this and get our hopes up :P

BTW, did they change the name of the Paper Mario game from Sticker Star to Super Seal? Kinda confused on that one, sounds like they did :P

Eldir

Eldir said:

I need to get a computer so I can watch this, now I'm just waiting for Nintendo to put it on the e-shop.

Does anyone know how long does it normally take for them to put a Nintendo Direct on the e-shop?

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

Thanks for the live text updates! I totally forgot about the presentation & had a nap instead. I just tried to watch the replay of the Nintendo Direct, I couldn't understand anything & nearly fell asleep again :P

hydeks

hydeks said:

@NinRyan yay I kinda looked around alil and Super Seal seems to be the Japanese name, and Super Sticker seems to be the NA and Europe name now :P

Pikachupwnage

Pikachupwnage said:

I hope naruto DS hits america.

Plenty of awesome goodies here like layton and harmoknight.

Namco you better localize X zone!

Some goes for you enix with bravely default!

And you to Capcom with EX troopers

LittleIrves

LittleIrves said:

To all y'all dismissing the games shown here.... for a Japanese audience (which this was directed at 100%) this line-up is killer. I hope we get half of these games, but I'm worried we won't, or it'll be ages until it happens.
HarmoKnight!
Friend Collection!
AC & Paper Mario!
I'll take quirky, colorful, weird games with polish and surprise over another dark, gritty, "mature" violent game, all day every day.

Abcdude

Abcdude said:

Aw, I was waiting all day for a majora's mask 3D reveal. This was over all bumming for me...

Hokori

Hokori said:

I really want harmo knight, project X Zone, MH4, Friend collection, and that RPG AR thing

Furealz

Furealz said:

No Wii VC for you! Cries in the corner :(..... Where is the good, bravely default magical "flying fairy" side of Reggie when ya'll need him?