New Super Mario Bros. 2 Art Brings Back Old Favourites

Posted by James Newton

Power-ups and Koopalings in tow

New Super Mario Bros. 2 is a real homage to Super Mario World, what with Reznor and everything, but there are more SMW nods in store.

This artwork from Nintendo shows off the Koopalings in Bowser's clown car/copter combo, plus other released images reveal the return of the Mega Mushroom, Mini Mushroom and old staples like the Raccoon Leaf and Fire Flower. The Invincibility Leaf will also return to help harassed players clear a tricky section. Of course there will also be new power-ups, most of which come with a distinctly golden hue: the new Golden Fire Flower grants you fireballs that turn everything into coins, for instance.

Last year Nintendo put out similarly panoramic artwork for Super Mario 3D Land; which do you prefer?

Bobhobob

Bobhobob said:

mega mushroom's back, woot woot!
I've already convinced my parents to pre-order this for my birthday, looking foward to this game! :D

Xiao_Pai

Xiao_Pai said:

If only we could have the Mega Star instead, loved being turned into a giant pixelated Mario. xD

Portista

Portista said:

THIS IS EPIC!!! Way better than the Super Mario 3D Land photo! Can't wait to get my hands on this game! :D

KaiserGX

KaiserGX said:

@Hyperstar Nothing, James messed up. There's no such thing as a Raccoon Leaf, it's a Super Leaf. He was talking about the Invincibility Leaf in 3DLand that turns you into a White Tanooki.

19Robb92

19Robb92 said:

Mega Mushroom is awesome. Would be cool to see that in New Super Mario bros. U as well since I'm more likely to buy that.

And part of this image is guaranteed to become a StreetPass puzzle. Just like the one for Super Mario 3D Land:
Untitled

WingedSnagret

WingedSnagret said:

Hurray for the return of the Mega Mushroom and Koopalings! At first I felt meh towards this game, but my interest has been perked up now.

FluttershyGuy

FluttershyGuy said:

Bowser's clown-face transportation thingy is back too, along with Reznor? This is shaping up to be almost as Super Mario World-esque as NSMBU! And it's about time World got some love. After the Raccoon outfit was in 3D Land, I would've preferred the Super Cape, but Flying Squirrel will be the next best thing in NSMBU! Can't wait for August 19th!!! :D

Stix_Remix

Stix_Remix said:

Guess that means there's no chance of Wario being the villain in the game. Missed opportunity, if you ask me.

AlphaLink

AlphaLink said:

Nintendo I am disappoint. I only count 84 coins in that picture. 16 more and I would have been... satisfied...

Oh well. Maybe that Golden Flower can help...

janettocrossing

janettocrossing said:

I still prefer Super Mario 3D Land ... I agree with one of the people above me ^^; Wario should've been the main villian cuz he's all about money... The game would've been far more interesting that way...

Morphbug

Morphbug said:

I always feel the compulsive need to get every single coin I see in mario games...This game will be bad for my mental health D:

KaiserGX

KaiserGX said:

Wario being the villain makes no sense, PLAYING as Wario in this game makes sense. How can Wario sit in a castle knowing there's all these coins out there.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

Wow, there's so much gold. And Mario and Luigi are getting all of them too. I guess Bowser is the one making all of it just so he could have Peach and a ton of cash. I wonder what happens when Mario collects a million coins? There probably won't be an opportunity to play as a certain man with purple-and-yellow overalls.

Somewhere, Wario is crying.

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

Good to know that the mega mushroom is returning, that power-up is awesome and I agree with Miss_Birdo that Wario should have been a playable character.

Stix_Remix

Stix_Remix said:

@Miss_Birdo Cause Wario would rather have Mario collect all the coins and buy Princess Peach back? Seems like a easier (and lazier) way to get treasure.

StephenYap3

StephenYap3 said:

Mega Mushroom is back? If it's true, Nintendo better not make the Mega Mushroom storable to the item box. As much as I want to say that I liked the DS title, the one thing I didn't like about it is the Mega Mushroom and how you could turn any boss and level into nothing with it.

King_Boo

King_Boo said:

I hope the reward for getting a million coins is the ability to play as wario and waluigi.

CosmoXY

CosmoXY said:

I hope the reward for getting a million coins will be nobody ever again saying, "Wario should be the main villian, seems like a missed opportunity".

KaiserGX

KaiserGX said:

I just found the images, I saw no Mini Mushroom but I saw a Golden Mushroom, anyone have an idea what that does? Or is it like the Golden Fire Flower minus the fireballs.

WaveBoy

WaveBoy said:

While it's awesome to see the Koopa Kids and Bowser's Clown face'd thingy' mobile from World make a return, i still can't get over that lousy minimal generic art direction. Remember how great 'Cartoon mario' used to look in the manuals for Super Mario Bros 2,3 and Super Mario Land 1 & 2?

Untitled

Untitled

Just imagin a new 2D mario with a simular cartoon Art style with animation that even surpasses Wario Land Shake it! I'm sure most people would be farmore excited over than idea than what we're getting.

So uh ya, golden goombas bud! :P

Yellowtails

Yellowtails said:

It looks like the gimmick this time around will be gold. I do like that the game is like Super Mario Bros 3 and World. I hope that they don't completely forget about Super Mario Bros 2.

grumblebuzzz

grumblebuzzz said:

3D Land's artwork was better, imo, but this is nice. Glad to know the Koopalings are a part of canon again and not just a one-off appearance in NSMBW. I am getting mighty sick of that darn raccoon tail though. We get it, Nintendo: you LOVE SMB3. This would have been a nice opportunity to bring back the cape instead.

RaylaxStaff

Raylax said:

Have I gone blind? I can't see a Mega Mushroom in the artwork or any of the screenshots. I can see a Super Mushroom, but no Mega one

Emaan

Emaan said:

This isn't much of a "return". The Koopalings were just in New Super Mario Bros. Wii. So was Bowser's clown aircraft. Saying its a homage to Super Mario World isn't saying much, when practically every Mario game design has some similarities to that and Super Mario Bros. 3. Sigh, if only Wario was in this.

Qeuix

Qeuix said:

Now I want to buy this game more than ever! I am going to buy it day one. It will be a eshop download for me as I don't use cash very often right now.

FluttershyGuy

FluttershyGuy said:

@Emaan
Well, this is embarrassing. I forgot about the clown thingy being in NSMBWii. Guess not absorbing the game you just played is a side effect of a huge backlog where you move right on to the next game, and ability to get VC/shop games cheap.

@Qeuix
Feel free to steal that GIF I just stole. ;) That's maybe the greatest GIF EVER that isn't about My Little Pony, hot chicks, or cute dogs and/or cats. :D

FluttershyGuy

FluttershyGuy said:

@WaveBoy
I miss detailed, traditional instruction booklets that included awesome stories and artwork! :( I'll NEVER get used to these tiny, insignificant instructions Nintendo puts in now, which are so tiny they don't even give COMPLETE INSTRUCTIONS!!! The instruction booklet is becoming a relic of the past, the loss of which actually takes away from the game you just bought. Glad I saved all my instructions from all the past generations. Like here lately, going back to my old SNES games, when I pick a game up, I'll also read the instruction booklet! Progress is not always a good thing. In cases like this, it just plain sucks. Now, I guess Nintendo is saving stuff like artwork to put in collectors edition-type things/Club Nintendo rewards.

PoorVGameNerd

PoorVGameNerd said:

Seeing as how Miyamoto says his favorite Mario game is Super Mario World, should we really be surprised at all the references to it? I loved that game, and if New Super Mario Bros. 2 is going to use it as a foundation, it should be amazing.

Wolfenstein83

Wolfenstein83 said:

Looking very nice indeed, but when will I be able to throw a radish at enemies again?
I know some people aren't too fond of it, but Super Marios Bros. 2 from the NES doesn't get any attention in the newer games.
It's not that big of a deal, but it would be cool to be able to pick up enemies and throw them instead of just stomping them as usual, just for variety sake.
They brought back the raccoon suit, now I want to bash a radish upside a goombas head, okay?

Gilius

Gilius said:

I knew this game had to do something with all this gold. I remember looking back at One pic were Mario was all golden. Wario would love being here right about now.

Gilius

Gilius said:

@fluttershyguy uh... Why buy. Game with a huge instruction Manuel? I prefer something small so therefore I don't have to care much about. But, most luck getting a big book is a guide book at some local store. It sol for you.

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

I love SMB3, as my fav game. But, if this is based on SMW, I agree w/ some commentors that the Cape Feather would have been better. On the other hand, maybe Nintendo is purposely mixing elements (items/enemies/locales/etc.) of games

Personally, I always liked the conglomeration of items/gameplay-mechanics in SMA4:SMB3 for the GBA. The cape feather, super leaf, & veggie tossin' mechanic for examples, all in one game.

To date(, & to my knowledge), 2 power-ups, & 1 power-up design (that) we have not seen re-used, have been Superball Mario from SML, Rabbit Mario from SML2:6GC, & the design of Fire Mario w/ the feather in his cap(I always thought that was cool!) also from SML2. I'd like to see these in future titles.

@WaveBoy I loved the (older/pre-N64-ish) designs of Mario, Luigi, & also of Peach, Daisy, & Wario. Like a lot of product icons(Aunt Jemimah/Uncle Ben/the Brawny guy/etc.), Mario was redesigned sorta, I think, specifically slimmed down. The images of Mario you linked in your comment are examples of the Mario art design/style I like. I also loved the manuals from back in the SNes, & prior era, too!

TimboBaggins

TimboBaggins said:

I love SMW, my favorite mario, and now I'm ten more times excited for this. However. If you were going to do a true homage to SMW, you would need the cape feather, purple flying yoshis, the tape goal at the end instead of a flag, star levels, and much more. Looks more or less they only took the bosses from SMW.

FluttershyGuy

FluttershyGuy said:

@Qeuix
Sounds good! :) My FC is 5421-1915-3356
@Nano
I guess it's all the visual goodness(artwork, etc.), and depth added to a game by instructions. In the past, games haven't always been as story-centric in-game, but this was something manuals usually added in. Just made games richer outside of the game, IMO.

PoorVGameNerd

PoorVGameNerd said:

Just wanted to issue a correction before someone else points it out. I said Super Mario World was Miyamoto's favorite Mario game based on this article:http://www.joystiq.com/2010/11/09/super-mario-world-is-miyamotos-favorite-mario-game/

Here's what he told IGN a few days ago:http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/06/15/this-is-shigeru-miyamotos-favorite-mario-game

I guess he must have changed his mind over the last few years. I wonder what made him say Super Mario Bros. 2 is now his favorite Mario of all time. I wouldn't mind seeing another Mario 2-style game. It might not be a "real" Mario but I thought it was awesome. It would be a nice change of pace from all these "New Super Mario Bros." that keep using the same gameplay. Gotta mix things up every few years.

FluttershyGuy

FluttershyGuy said:

@PoorVGNerd
Wierd that his opinion would change and his favorite would be one that he made before SMW. I guess our views on past events change as life goes on, strange thing about humans.

So weird seeing Doki Doki Panic videos, with SMB 2 without our Mushroom Kingdom crew! To think Shy Guy, Birdo, Wart, etc. originated in a different game universe.

I've wondered if there's some legal reason that Nintendo hasn't had future games based in any way on SMB 2 USA. The formula is so great, having Mario, Luigi, Princess Toadstool, and Toad having various jumping/pulling abilities. I'd like to see it (along with Wart & Co.) in a future Mario game, whether new, new new, old, or old old. :P After 24 years, not holding my breath, however.

hydeks

hydeks said:

I like both, but 3d lands pops out at u more, BUT the nsmb 2 one has ALOT of classic refereneces...Err...tough...maybe more of a lean towards nsmb, just cause it has the koopalings!!

TanookiMike

TanookiMike said:

@WaveBoy Gotta agree with you. Mario's design and shape was clearly created with 1940s style Golden Age animation in mind - in fact, I think Miyamoto studied cartooning at one point, right?

Gilius

Gilius said:

@fluttershyguy But. Nowadays case are small and can't carry large instruction Manuel's. Back then games and instruction Manuel's came boxes.

RetroGBHippie92

RetroGBHippie92 said:

@waveboy You sir are a tribute to my childhood of the late 90s. Man How much I miss the cartoony version of Mario, nowawdays we have a generic CG Mario if that isn't enough. Na, just joking i love Mario whatever he appears in, I loved Super Mario 3D Land, can't wait til I get my hands on this possum.

Kirk

Kirk said:

This actually looks like it might be realizing the classic 2D Mario platforms games better than New Super Mario Bro U.

The more I see of this game the more I'm interested in it.

I really hope they get some more of that classic stuff in New Super Mario Bros U and really capture the greatness of the best 2D Mario platform games.

GTWarrior77

GTWarrior77 said:

As a Mario fan I'm not too excited about this. Not too excited about this.
I want something more out of the box. It feels to much like beeb there done that.
Somenone mentioned earlier that Wario should be the main villian.
If peach gets captured once more, I'm going to lock her up myself.

I"ll probably pick this up eventually. I'll first get through my backlog

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

I'm still trying to grasp the hook of the game being almost all about collecting coins... at least that's what most of the footage seems to be about. Won't that result in excessive amounts of 1-ups and the like? Sounds like it will make the game too easy, but I'm sure there's more to it I'm just not seeing...

Meh, either way, I'm playin' in, so it's not that serious :)

rayquaza_master

rayquaza_master said:

Click to embiggen? It's probaly not, but it sounds like a reference to the emoglobins in bowsers inside story. Looks like agreat game!