Nintendo Teases Wii U Launch Line-Up

Posted by James Newton

How much more waiting?

Today's Thursday. Nintendo will show off Wii U games on Tuesday. Want to make that wait seem even longer? Start guessing what these teased Wii U launch games are.

The official Wii U Facebook page posted the following teaser last night:

Guess what the initial game releases will be for Nintendo’s new home console, Wii U? Soon we’ll scratch off to reveal the names! ▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒ ▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒ ▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒.

To save you counting, the first silver bar is 33 characters long, the second is 27 and the third is 19. We don't know if those numbers are significant, we're just saying.

Let's hear those guesses.

[via facebook.com]

Crouteru

Crouteru said:

Well the first one is long enough for "The Legend of Zelda" plus a sub-title. ;-)

Chris720

Chris720 said:

Could be Zelda for the first one... and I'm guessing Mario for the 2nd and I'm torn between F-Zero and Kirby for the third.

Aviator

Aviator said:

Subtitle should have been the waiting hurts.
NSMBW is 20. So if they drop the Wii and add something else that could either be the 19 or the 27.

Apparently I cannot count.

AbuJaffer

AbuJaffer said:

New Super Mario Bros. Wii U for the 27 character one.

And... that's all I've got.

BenAV

BenAV said:

No idea, could be anything really.
Hopefully they don't decide to spoil anything before E3.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

I don't have a clue, but I would rather be surprised seeing the new games during the conference than seeing the titles of the new games on this Facebook page before watching the conference where they would show them. It would simply be spoilers, and such a thing would take away some of that E3 conference magic.

Kinioka

Kinioka said:

TLoZ: Majoras Mask has 27 characters...if you add "Remake" we have 33 and "The legend of Zelda" has 19 if you count the spaces... they are making a new Zelda for 3DS, so the remake could be for Wii u :P

Kyloctopus

Kyloctopus said:

"New Super Mario Bros. Wii u" fits for 27 characters. But it was obvious that it was planned.
"Big Brain Academy 3" and "Kirby's Adventure 2" fits for 19 characters.

TheDreamingHawk

TheDreamingHawk said:

Um.. New starfox? Oh wait, potental subtitles are too short.

I'm just going to place a bet on Pikmin 3 And new super Mario bros.

3DSLUIGI

3DSLUIGI said:

I want to go ahead and say one of the launch titles for Wii U could be a new Zelda game. Which by the way, could VERY WELL be one. But to me, I'm gonna go into the wild and say that it could possibly be a new Mario & Luigi game for Wii U also. I mean, why not treat the Mario & Luigi RPG games the same way with the way how Nintendo is bringing Paper Mario over to the 3DS. Only makes sense to me.

citizenerased

citizenerased said:

@uel Unlike the PS3, then? Oh burn. Yes, that one was too easy.

It'd be odd, to say the least, if Nintendo announces a TLOZ launch game for later in the year. I don't think they've shown off a console Zelda game and released it in the same year, ever.

WreckItRyan

WreckItRyan said:

"The Legend of Zelda" is 19, but not sure if they're including subtitles in this. Pikmin 3 is definitely expected at launch as of so far, but to fit those characters it would need to require some subtitle. "New Super Mario Bros. Wii U" for the 27 and I'll guess a Kirby, F-Zero, or new IP for the last one.

SkywardLink98

SkywardLink98 said:

Metroid Prime: Death fits as 19. (I'm just putting random stuff together that fits as the number of allotted characters)
Star Fox: Space Wars fits as 19 as well.

3dbrains

3dbrains said:

my little pony wiiU - 19

Paint by numbers Mario WiiU - 27

Sport island casual fun time WiiU - 33

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

I hope they don't spoil these before E3. It wouldn't make this teaser useless if they did as they could announce the games at E3 and then announce them as launch games on the Facebook page.

Skunkfish

Skunkfish said:

Super Mario Bros. 4 (19)
Wii U Sports: Winter Resort (27)

And finally...

Pikmin and the very long subtitle (33)

Skunkfish

Skunkfish said:

Or possibly...

Ninja Gaiden 3: Razors Edge (27)

Was already rumoured as a launch title..

Chunky_Droid

Chunky_Droid said:

They are not making a Star-Fox/Metroid crossover at Retro... they misheard

It will be Punch-Out!! F-ZeroX (see, it's 19 letters so it must be true! :D)

citizenerased

citizenerased said:

Yeah here's hoping they don't spoil anything before the press conference. It's so much more fun getting hyped up watching the press conference and not know what's gonna happen, and what's a few more days? (oh right, it feels like an eternity)

I guess the only thing confirms is that we'll probably have 3 Nintendo launch titles? Which is more than the 3DS and Wii had.

Enzo_V

Enzo_V said:

well i stumbled this on the internet
i think that's not al the nintendo exclusivesl but some are not yet confirmed
FIRE EMBLEM COME TO U.S. D":
Nintendo
Animal Crossing (3DS)
Fire Emblem: Awakening (3DS)
Luigi’s Mansion 2 (3DS)
New Super Mario Bros. 2 (3DS)
New Super Mario Bros. (Wii U)
Paper Mario (3DS)
Pikmin 3 (Wii U)

source: http://www.latestnewsexplorer.com/big-list-of-confirmed-games/

3dbrains

3dbrains said:

@tealovertoma

I notice they do not state they are from Nintendo themselfs.
Possibly publishing a 2nd or 3rd party..?

Reckon I got it on the nail with
my little pony wiiU - 19
developed by Gameloft.
published by Nintendo.
loved by all.

SKTTR

SKTTR said:

DONKEY KONG COUNTRY is 19!
DONKEY KONG COUNTRY RETURNS is 27!!
And DONKEY KONG COUNTRY RETURNS AGAIN is 33!!!

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

The character lengths mean nothing. Somebody just held down Ctrl+V for a few seconds. Mario Galaxy 3, perhaps? Probably not, maybe a thematic Mario like Sunshine? I want to see Mario go places he's never gone before, darn it! Oh, and please, put Rosalina and some Luma's in it as NPCs...

TheToader

TheToader said:

Ok, enough counting for me. I've been checking people's character count. Everyone is actually for the most part spot on! @Skunkfish Wii U Sports: Winter Resort actually sounds plausible.

MariosLoveChild

MariosLoveChild said:

Can't get it to fit without cheating but I want pilotwings (along the lines of the snes and n64 ones). If its not announced at e3 I'm going on a hunger strike!!!

WaveWarlock

WaveWarlock said:

I wan't a new Punch-Out!! Mike Tyson needs to take his rightful place as the final baddie and Mario needs to blast back as the referee. 5 more days! :o :D

RaylaxStaff

Raylax said:

There's no spaces. So:

Hippopotomonstrosesquipedalianism (33) - An RPG about becoming a master of legendarily long words (it actually means the love of long words)

Honorificabilitudinitatibus (27) - An exam-prepertion app akin to Brain Training (means "the state of being able to achieve honours")

Anthropomorphically (19) - A crossover 2D plaformer featuring all Nintendo and SEGA's anthropomorphic ('furry') characters.

CommanderAudio

CommanderAudio said:

I GOT THE 19 CHARACTERS!!!!!! Including spaces it's Batman: Arkham City! Count the characters if you don't believe me!
EDIT: I also figured out the 33 character one, but I'm not so sure if it's correct. about that because it's Wii U download software (It's Saber Rider and the Star Sheriffs, by the way)

Supremeist

Supremeist said:

I don't see a new Legend of Zelda game as a launch title, they take more to work on. Maybe something newer with the Mario Galaxy series or maybe another Pilotwings game. Just my guesses. Nintendogs + Cats Deluxe?

Odnetnin

Odnetnin said:

BIT.TRIP Presents Runner2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien

Never mind, that's 56.

RaylaxStaff

Raylax said:

BPlus - The Complete Collection (27)
And shipped straight to CB's door

ianmage1

ianmage1 said:

They're really hyping this up. I like it. It gives me the feeling that they're going to be huge!

mamp

mamp said:

Good old Nintendo always teasing us like a hot girl who wears provocative clothing but gets angry cuz you stare at her.

ShadowSniper7

ShadowSniper7 said:

@uel: I'm pretty sure Nintendo learned their lesson with the 3DS. Launching a new gaming device with games is a bad idea.