Nintendo Download: 17th May 2012 (Europe)

Posted by James Newton

Kirby and birds

Two games and a demo for 3DS owners this week, while Wii owners get a free slice of gaming too.

3DS Virtual Console

Kirby's Dream Land 2 (Game Boy, Nintendo, £3.60/€4) — Witness the debut of Kirby's helpful animal friends in this enjoyable little platformer. We've already got the first Kirby's Dream Land so we'll see if the sequel is a big improvement in our upcoming review.

3DS Download Software

Bird Mania 3D (Teyon, £1.80/€2) — An 'infinite challenge' game that has the rare honour of being cheap and good. Check out our Bird Mania 3D review for more information.

3DS Demo

Rayman Origins — Take home a free portion of Rayman's upcoming platformer. You can't say much fairer than that.

WiiWare Demo

2 Fast 4 Gnomz (QubicGames, full game: 500pts) — If our 2 Fast 4 Gnomz review wasn't enough to help you decide if QubicGames' title was worth buying, this demo might help you make up your mind.

What will you be downloading this week?

Related Games

BudrSbastig

BudrSbastig said:

Just finished rayman on vita, but will check out demo to see how good it looks in 3d, great game!

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

Good week for me. 3 things to DL there including the demo. Already have RO on Wii put I'll check this 3DS version aat. Kirby's Dream Land 2 and Bird Mania will b mine too!

BenAV

BenAV said:

Sweet, definitely gonna give Bird Mania a go.
Teyon already gave me about ten hours of cheap fun recently with Cat Frenzy, so hopefully this will be just as addicting.

Bulbousaur

Bulbousaur said:

Looks like a pretty good week, might get Bird Mania, and the Rayman Origins demo definitely!

Fuzzy

Fuzzy said:

Already got RO on PS3, but I'm interested to see what it looks like in 3D. Haven't played KDL2 for years, so might give that a go too.

Good week again.

Drewroxsox

Drewroxsox said:

There's also a rumor that kingdom hearts is said to have a demo coming out sometime in the future.

mrkuribo

mrkuribo said:

I'll definitely try the Rayman demo and might buy Bird Mania, since it's so cheap.

Prof_Clayton

Prof_Clayton said:

I hope the Rayman demo comes to the us soon! I loved the wii one and want to see how 3d affects the gameplay.

MrArcade

MrArcade said:

Yesss! Rayman, i really want to get this game because i hav'nt owned a rayman game since the original on GBA. This demo will probably just make me even more impatient.

TNLGUY

TNLGUY said:

Kirby's Dream Land 2 is the only thing I remember about being five. Where's my VC, NOA? :(

squirrelguys

squirrelguys said:

this makes me depressed. US hasnt gotten any vc games in about a month or 2. we still haven't gotten LoZ update.

Obvious78

Obvious78 said:

Is the Nintendo DSi out of the league? I wish they had more support on that platform as well!

Djrr-ific

Djrr-ific said:

And there they are.. the complainers...

One week without new software on one of the services and it starts again. :S

GamerZack87

GamerZack87 said:

Out of all four Kirby's Dream Land games, Kirby's Dream Land 2 is the only one I've never really played nor have I ever had it in my game collection. Therefore, this should be a rare treat of gaming for me, a Nintendo-published Game Boy game I have yet to play. :D

Monkeh

Monkeh said:

Can't wait to try out the Rayman Origins demo. If it looks good enough I'll probably buy it on the 3DS. On the other hand, if it's very 'pixely' I'll just buy it on Steam for way cheaper.

Tate24

Tate24 said:

cool!!! am getting bird mania and cant wait to play rayman origin demo:D

Singularity

Singularity said:

I loved what I played of Origins via the Xbox demo a while back, but I heard it was coming to 3DS and so held out; platformers work much better on the handheld in my opinion (I enjoyed 3D Land more than SMG2 for example, even though the latter was probably objectively the better game), and it'll be nice to see such gorgeous artwork in 3D. I'm still waiting on Mutant Mudds/Samurai Sakurai.

3dbrains

3dbrains said:

Something about Rayman(lack of arms and legs possibly?.. I am Limbist)makes me never want to spend money on games with him in. I have instinctively avoided every rayman game because of how he looks and how the gameplay looks too much like "I want to be mario"

Still, I will be glad to try a Demo after all this time. Maybe I will be proven wrong.

Monkeh

Monkeh said:

You should definitely try it 3dbrains! I've always thought Rayman was different enough from Mario, but that's just my personal opinion. I still find Rayman 2: The Great Escape one of the best 3D platformers I've ever played, even though I thought the 3DS port sucked (mostly because of the horrible framerate and lowres textures- looking ugly AND having framedrops, that's just terrible).

hydeks

hydeks said:

again, europe gets something worth looking at while North American gamers get the shaft. What games coming here this week? Kirby Block Ball.....mehh -_-

PixelatedPixie

PixelatedPixie said:

Nought for me unfortunately. I'm still playing through the player created levels of 'VVVVVV' though and still have to download Monster Hunter IV, so I can't complain.

Kinioka

Kinioka said:

I'll try rayman origins demo. I already have the wii version, but i wouldn't mind to play it again on my 3ds, let's see...

RedYoshi999

RedYoshi999 said:

Sounds like a good week with 2 demos, a potentially good VC game and a cheap 3D Downloads game that's good. That's assuming all (or any) of them actually make it to Australia. I'm still shaking my fist at you, VVVVVV!!

AVahne

AVahne said:

Sounds like a good week for Europe. Hopefully NA's week will be just as good. I hope.

SepticLemon

SepticLemon said:

As much as I loved Kirby's Dream Land 2 when I was a kid, with no real Super Game Boy support on the GameBoy Virtual Console, I can miss it.

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

I still need to get the first Kirby's dream land game but I'll get the second sometime after I've played the first and I might get Bird mania.

Kyloctopus

Kyloctopus said:

I've been desperately waiting for Rayman Origins on 3DS. I decided not to buy the console counterparts.

Xilef

Xilef said:

Kirby, Bird Mania and RO Demo? Sweet! Defenetly getting RO and BM and probably gonna pick up Kirby some time in the future. :)

RaylaxStaff

Raylax said:

All 3 on 3DS this week, excellent. And Sonic 4 Episode 2 to pick up on Steam tomorrow too. Good week? Good week.

Chris720

Chris720 said:

Bird Mania... is... mine! What? It's £2 for a game, how anyone can sniff their nose up at that is obviously made of money.

chewytapeworm

chewytapeworm said:

Not sure whether or not to get Kirby's Dreamland 2 or not, as the first one was too short and too easy. Will definitely plow into some free Rayman tasters though, it's been a long while since I've played on one of his games, maybe it'll convince me to buy the full version?

RaylaxStaff

Raylax said:

@chewtapeworm: Rayman Origins is astonishingly good, the HD versions at least. I'm assuming this is a direct port (with 3D shiny bits), in which case this will be astonishingly good too.

Stargazer

Stargazer said:

@chewytapeworm

Kirby's Dreamland 2 is completely different. The first one didn't even feature Kirby's now-famous copy ability. The sequel is far superior IMO.

Squirtodile

Squirtodile said:

So we get Block Ball and you get Dream Land 2. I say next week we get Dream Land 2 and EU gets Block Ball :D

MT5mith

MT5mith said:

Hopefully, the Rayman Origins game is like the console versions. If it is, definite download and, quite possibly, purchase! As for the others...I know NOTHING about Kirby's Dream Land 2, but it's a Kirby game, so I'll probably get it.

RR529

RR529 said:

What's up with my fellow North Americans giving Kirby's Block Ball the cold sholder?

First you whine when we don't get any VC, and when they finally give us one (KBB is a fun game BTW), you turn your noses up at the offering.

I'll admit that it would be nice to get a "3DSWare" and a VC game in the same update (like EU gets this week), but that's not going to stop me from downloading KBB.

Gamma

Gamma said:

Seriously Nintendo? They put up all these good games up, yet they don't even consider putting classics like Pokemon Yellow. is it Nintendo? Or is Gamefreak not cooperating.

grumblebuzzz

grumblebuzzz said:

Can almost bet you five bucks the US will get Kirby's Block Ball and some dumb DSi(shovel)ware game, with no Rayman demo. They just don't seem intent on wanting to make any money over here with their digital platform. They did seem to for a while, but it's really trailed off so much now that even the most patient people are starting to get annoyed.

grumblebuzzz

grumblebuzzz said:

@RR529 I'll be getting Kirby's Block Ball, but I guess people are more irritated at the fact that it's essentially another Breakout clone (albeit a good one), while other regions have classic games like Wario Land, KI: OMAM, and a host of other ones that Nintendo has neglected to bring over here for whatever reason.

eleven59

eleven59 said:

Rayman is different from Mario. This game feels more like old school sonic, in that it gets going so fast, timing of jumps is critical to avoid traps.

eleven59

eleven59 said:

Also someone mentioned super game boy? That would be cool if they brought the ability to play eshop and 3ds games on a tv via either a connection from 3ds to wii/wiiU or even wireless... You would still need to buy Bo systems so they wouldn't be canabalizing sales of either?

Kitsune_Rei

Kitsune_Rei said:

I'm rather jealous of the Demo and Kirby 2! I still have that game, but I like the early Kirby games...

Kitsune_Rei

Kitsune_Rei said:

@chewytapeworm Kirby's Dreamland 2 is longer and has some cute gimmicks. The first one was a pretty early GB release, hence the short and easy. Did you play it again in harder mode at least after beating the game? It was kind of a nice feature that added replay value, though its not that much harder.

chewytapeworm

chewytapeworm said:

Cheers all who responded! Looks like a definite double download for me then. Rayman Origins, I've obviously heard about how great its art style and its co-op gameplay is, and I'll finally get to find out about that myself, and in beautifully rendered stereoscopic 3d too! And as for the pink ball of fluff, well, I can't pass up the opportunity to play more Kirby. Especially as his copy ability has finally been added to the game, which is what makes Kirby Kirby! So yeah, roll on Thursday!

@Kitsune_Rei I sure did play the harder mode! It was certainly noticeably more difficult, but still over in a flash. Does the second game have a harder mode too?

TheDreamingHawk

TheDreamingHawk said:

HAMSTARS RULE!

...Just had to blurt that out.:p Rick was my most favorite helper that came from this game. I wished they would put him in future games, but this can do. I just hope this comes to north America soon, as well as that Rayman Demo.

MeWario

MeWario said:

Raymaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan! Ive been waiting so long for this! (I could get it for Wii but I want it on 3DS =P) Wow I think I will be downloading all 3 this week!

MeWario

MeWario said:

@Mario_Party_Fan_999
In your 3ds profile, change it to say you live in Europe. Then you can download it!!! It works great and it is how I got Shantae and VVVVVV for myself =)

Whopper744

Whopper744 said:

ooO! Looks like a pretty good week for you guys to me! Here's to hoping North America gets some love this week.

Kinioka

Kinioka said:

@BlueBana- Agreed. Playing with the D-pad is somewhat uncomfortable, the 3D effect is nothing special and it's slower than the other versions.
Also in shooting me softy lvl, when you catch the last Lum king, the music doesn't play entirely( some seconds of pure silence)(?).
Really disappointed, although it looks stunning.

dynamikas

dynamikas said:

rayman 3ds a bit crap. feels lag in gameplay and character is too small. its good that they released this demo, now im convinced not to buy this game.

BradPJ

BradPJ said:

Ahh right. Yeah sorry, I thought you meant that the D-Pad was the forced way to play. But yeah to be honest I'd prefer to use the D-Pad for a side scrolling game but it is awfully positioned on the 3DS.

In fairness though I think the demo is pretty good, considering I haven't played any other version as I've been waiting for the 3DS version I'm pretty impressed. I think this will be a purchase for me.

RedYoshi999

RedYoshi999 said:

@MeWario
Yes I do that for demos they don't release here but as for actual games the currency doesn't convert so I would have to buy Europe eShop cards which they obviously don't sell here.

Mollutje

Mollutje said:

Hm, the rayman demo was pretty cool, I really think the 3d effect added something to it, on the other hand though, the music seemed to be glitching, it kept on going where it shouldn't have and some themes just had little sections missing. I really hope that's not the case in the actual finished version. also, it seems like they dumbed it down a little. Lum collecting was a lot easier and I swear there were fewer enemies. I wonder if all of this is just demo related or if the levels will be exactly like that in the actual version.

Wesker

Wesker said:

After playing the demo, I'm impressed by Rayman, but not sure if the 3DS version is the best. When there is that many colours on screen AND in 3D it makes my eyes a little squirly. Mario for example is much more cleary defined, so works well in 3D.

I did like it though with the 3D turned off. But I would reiterate what @mollutje said about the sound, it does seems glitchy, and to me, at little fuzzy.I do want this game, but have the suspicion that it's better suited to the Vita.

JustAnotherUser

JustAnotherUser said:

I was a little disappointed with the Rayman Origins 3D demo.
The textures looked blurry because of the compression and the audio kept coming in late and seemed obvious when it looped.
There is also a frame rate problem when playing in 3D and 2D.
Hopefully these issues exist because everything had to be compressed for the demo.

I will be picking up Kirby's Dream Land 2 and Bird Mania sometime in the future.
So many games...

Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko said:

Its good that for the 3DS VC that EU and Australia are getting the same releases and release dates this time around. The Wii VC always looked so confusing.

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

I liked the Demo. Good addition to 3DS library. The only problem for me is the slight smallness of the sprites and Rayman feels noticeable stiffer than the Wii version. There isn't that lovely, ultra-precise flopping of Rayman than makes u make some all in one movement maneouvres. Almost graceful in fact. Not going to trade in wii version for this though.

LAA

LAA said:

I was looking forward to rayman origins 3D demo, as I thought it had the capabilities to be incredible in 3D, and before I owned it I was thinking of getting it for 3DS, but decided to get for vita a few weeks after launch and I'm glad I did. It was a major disappointment, it looks the worst on the 3DS (I seriously believe an phone could do a better job), slower version (Where speed is essential for a lot of the game), 3D wasnt that great as I hoped.
So heres my advice to people if you really want rayman origins, and you have a vita also, get rayman for that, it plays and looks more incredible than 3DS, as well as a relic/ghost feature.
If you dont own a vita, I'm guessing you may have a wii/360/PS3, it will be much better on that.

Fabian

Fabian said:

Super Update but are their any good Wii Ware games soon or is Wii Ware death.
The 2 Fast 4 gnomz demo reminds my to buy Gnomz (this Demo was amazing) and maybe 2 Fast 4 Gnomz (if the Demo is as good as Gnomz) Really hope to see more of this amazing Gnomz Games in the future maybe the original Gnomz as 3dsware