Nintendo Download: 12th April 2012 (Europe)

Posted by James Newton

Zelda and Super Street Fighter II

Two venerable classics come to Nintendo's various Virtual Consoles this week, but both bear a few interesting tweaks. Here's what Europe can download later on in the week.

3DS Virtual Console

The Legend of Zelda (NES, Nintendo, £4.50/€5, 54 blocks) — The original title comes to non-Ambassadors, complete with handy features like restore points. Is Link's first adventure still worth picking up in this day and age? Our review will tell you soon.

Wii Virtual Console

Super Street Fighter II (Mega Drive, SEGA, 800pts) — We've already got the (arguably superior) Super NES version of Super Street Fighter II on Virtual Console, but SEGA's take on the famous fighter features online multiplayer, a Virtual Console first in Europe. We'll put it through its paces in the near future for a review.

DSiWare

Crystal Caverns of Amon-Ra (Selectsoft, 500pts, 56 blocks) — Essentially a DSiWare version of gem-shooter match three Puzz Loop/Luxor/Zuma, this isn't a bad puzzle effort for DSiWare, though how often do we say that? Regardless, here's a Crystal Caverns of Amon-Ra review to help you make up your mind.

I Must Run! (Gamelion, 200pts, 44 blocks) — A DSiWare version of Canabalt, essentially. We'll race to bring you a review soon.

That's your lot this week, folks. Who's buying what?

Related Games

Kafei2006

Kafei2006 said:

I was waiting for save states to come to my ambassador digital copy of zelda, personally :). Good news.

nick_gc

nick_gc said:

Anyone who is paying £4.50 for those NES games is a fool. Unless it's their first time playing the game, then I might let them off.

Mok

Mok said:

Absolutely NOTHING this week. Zelda is great but .. I have it already. The rest sounds like shovelware. Where's VVVVV? Where's Mutant Mudd? C'moooon!!

doniewhalberg

doniewhalberg said:

Yup. No vvvvvv, mutant mudds, and still no fabled cave story on the dsistore. I bought link's awakening last week and got LoZ as an ambassador so nope. Until they start getting stuff out that everyone else has, nothing for me.

theJOE

theJOE said:

they should release zelda 2 next week just so i can update to a version that has save points as i can barely make it to the last dungeon without getting a game over

JustAnotherUser

JustAnotherUser said:

<sarcasm>
@nick_gc Exactly! Everything should 69p including retail games.
</sarcasm>
Just because it's old doesn't mean it's not worth £4.50. It's more than a reasonable price.

MAB

MAB said:

Cool stuff its alot better than nothing definitely getting street fighter because I see it as the best version with the addition of old school online scrapping and I'm glad I didn't waste points on the earlier versions. Also never downloaded LOZ for Wii VC might check that out down the track.

Gavin_Rozee

Gavin_Rozee said:

Already completed Zelda without restore points last year when the Ambassador games launched, so nothing for me.

SilentHunter382

SilentHunter382 said:

Still nothing this week. I added a €15 card to my 3ds and nothing interesting has shown up for me. Well atleast I will have it when something does show up cough mutant mudds cough

Myx

Myx said:

just because there is old stuff it doesn't mean nintendo has to torture us with their abandonware week after week after week. oh and by the way.. i wanted to buy the additional tables for zen pinball. but now zen pinball 2 is coming to the ps3 and vita.. as a gratis update for owners of zen pinball. now that's what i call a) service and b) a store at the height of the time.
now i am gonna buy the vita version. cause it got trophies, superior graphics and the most important point: it is SOMETHING NEW. but i guess 2 to 5 years from now nintendo is going to decide to allow zen pinball 2 for a high price also on the 3ds ;-) have fun.

Ninjadead

Ninjadead said:

Are you guys blind? There's online Super Street Fighter II! Bah, nothing this week, yeah right.

chewytapeworm

chewytapeworm said:

Not a fan of Street Fighter tbh, but the fact that it has online capability is just pure win. Not a great week for me, but I still have to try out that Farming Simulator demo, might keep me busy for five minutes...

JustAnotherUser

JustAnotherUser said:

@nick_gc Sorry, I wasn't trying to cause an argument. That's a comment I usually when Apple fanboys start moaning about prices on apps and games.

I might pick up I must run.
But I'll wait for the review first.

Gavin_Rozee

Gavin_Rozee said:

Play one fighting game, you e played them all, especially when it comes to Street Fighter, then the statement is quite literal.

MAB

MAB said:

Don't understand why people that winge about nintendo products and software but praise and worship PS360 stuff go to nintendo sites when they know there's gonna be nothing of interest for them. It would be like me going to a sony site and posting how I like ninty alot better and enjoy the games heaps more. Nobody would give a rats.

Late

Late said:

Was hoping for Colors 3D but maybe it comes next week then. I'd also like to see VVVVVV and Sakura Samurai. Well, I still have to buy some other great games from eShop.

nick_gc

nick_gc said:

If I had any friends (and by that I mean gaming friends), I'd certainly pick Street Fighter II up. Shame really. I'd love to play it.

RaylaxStaff

Raylax said:

@James Odd choice of comparison there, especially given at first glance both those games appear to feature the same mascot character (I'd have said character archetype, but it's basically the same dude with a different-coloured headband) and very similar titles :P
Still, I agree that not all fighting games are the same; compare Street Fighter to DoA, or VS Capcom, or Soul Calibur.

As for this week's downloads, save states for Zelda are very welcome :D

Whopper744

Whopper744 said:

Can't get any better than Zelda! (I've already got it anyway, and I'm in the US, but just saying)
I wonder what generic, never heard of games the US will get this week. :p

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

@Mok You really do use the term 'shovelware' way too lightly. I'm not into Street fighter but I can clearly see that its not shovelware and as for the other games, since when did a 6/10 = shovelware? A 6/10 is an average score not a score that indicates shovelware. Games that are actually worthy of that name normally score a 3/10 or worse.
Anyway, the restore points should be useful for The legend of Zelda so I'll be updating the ambassador version that I got.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

Less. Its even more dull and pointless than it sounds.

Zantagor

Zantagor said:

Wish there was a way to know what the hell is Nicalis/Nigoro doing about La-Mulana, they're been completely silent about it since December, saying the game was complete, and sent to nintendo. They don't answer their twitter, they don't answer emails about it either. What the hell's going on there? :/

PixelatedPixie

PixelatedPixie said:

Yeah, I'll appreciate the addition of the save state feature for Zelda (which I've never got around to actually beating despite owning it on multiple platforms).

Still though, I'm beginning to lose my patience for Mutant Mudds and VVVVVV. Hell, I'd even be excited to see Sakura Samurai at this point.

gusmento01

gusmento01 said:

I hope Super Street Fighter II comes to America, I really want to play online,I've been playing SF II series since 1992 and I rather play against a human competitor than against the computer.

Dreadjaws

Dreadjaws said:

@nick_gc
I'm going to purchase this game even though I've played it several times before. Care to explain why, according to you, I'm a fool?

James

James said:

Nope, just believe in using the right word for the right purpose is all :)

Bobhobob

Bobhobob said:

Hey for all of you guys complaining about not being able to get VVVVVV and Mutant Mudds, you know what's worse? Having them, but not being able to buy it. Stupid measly allowance, It takes a MONTH just to save up for an eShop card.
The waiting hurts...

madgear

madgear said:

Super Street Fighter 2 for me! It's been almost a full year since they've put something new on the download service I want! I love the Megadrive version - it's my favourite 16-bit home version of the game. Such nostalgia.

Drezus

Drezus said:

@Pengaweeno You`ve got your Zelda updated, so quit whining. I`m already happy to have ambassor games updated to eShop standards on a regular basis.

BenAV

BenAV said:

Another week of nothing for me.
At least I'll still have Kid Icarus: Uprising and Pandora's Tower to keep me occupied.

OdnetninAges

OdnetninAges said:

HEY!
.........Be lucky you got a online virtual console.
Us Americans don't get anything good...Unless this Thursday is better. Ive got 6 bucks on my balance I need to spend.

Dreadjaws

Dreadjaws said:

@nick_gc
Do you remember the original price of the game? I think this is considerably cheaper than getting it at that price or even finding the thing on eBay.

Plus, what else do you expect me to do? Wait for Nintendo to lower the price? Even if that was possible, I don't think paying more for a game you enjoy is being an idiot. If that was true, I'd be an idiot for every single retail game I've bought, since they're all more expensive where I live. I had to pay $80 for RE: Revelations, while it's half the price in the US. It was either that or waiting months to get a sligthly cheaper used copy.

It's not being an idiot paying full price, at the very least it's being impatient.

DrDaisy

DrDaisy said:

A virtual console first in Europe, James? I wasn't aware of any Virtual Console games that could be played online in any region. What VC game outside of Europe features online multiplayer? If Capcom brings the Genesis version to the U.S. Virtual Console, I hope it also has online multiplayer. I have HD Remix for PS3, but I find the retro-synth in Ryu's stage really catchy in the Genesis version.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

What VC game outside of Europe features online multiplayer?

PuyoPuyo in Japan. Also this version of Super Street Fighter II.

James

James said:

Yep :)

Now updated with block data for 3DS and DSiWare games. You're welcome!

OldBoy

OldBoy said:

Nowt for me this week. Looks like I'll get Skullgirls off XBLA instead :)

FluttershyGuy

FluttershyGuy said:

I'd love to play Super Street Fighter II with some of my NL friends here across the pond. That is if it ever makes it to my side of the pond!

A couple of other things. First, I hope we see an arcade-perfect Street Fighter II compilation someday (other versions, on Xbox 360 for example, are not... there are differences). Second, did anybody take notice of a mention of Street Fighter II on "CSI: NY" last Friday? It was an episode centering around a video game competition.