Nintendo Buys Supermario4.com Web Domain

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

An intriguing choice, yes?

The news that Nintendo recently purchased a Mario related web domain is not always interesting, especially as big companies often buy web addresses just to prevent others using them. When we saw that supermario4.com was a recent acquisition for Nintendo, however, we were definitely intrigued.

It may be rampant speculation, but the specific choice of this URL strikes us as a potential early spoiler: it's important to note that Nintendo hasn't purchased other numbered variations for the same domain name. With Nintendo already announcing a 2D Super Mario title for 3DS, perhaps this could be a sequel to the NES classic Super Mario Bros. 3? With Sega recently providing a direct sequel to an iconic 1990s title with Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 1, it's not an idea without precedent.

That's speculation, but it's a fact that Nintendo has purchased supermario4.com. Do you think it could be related to the already announced 3DS Super Mario game, or potentially another project? If there is a Super Mario Bros. 4, what kind of game would you like it to be?

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

Wasn't SMW called SMB4 in Japan? Also, NSMB and NSMBW are basically SMB5 and SMB6 so I don't think the upcoming 2D Mario platformer should be SMB4.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

That is intriguing, and it may very well refer to the new 2D Mario 3DS game, but speculation is just speculation when no one comes forward to say its real. I'll wait for Nintendo to come out and say something about this when E3 rolls around.

Dashtag

Dashtag said:

Sequel to SMB3 would be great. Add some great new powerups and great levels, it's gonna be great.

Dashtag

Dashtag said:

But I have to agree; 2D side scrolling 3DS game is probably Super Mario Bros. 4

Squashie

Squashie said:

Hmm, That's funny. Although Nintendo are probably just reserving the domain for very distant future use...

RaylaxStaff

Raylax said:

It will be fun but short, and yet the entire fanbase will moan unceasingly about the physics.

JamieOStaff

JamieO said:

@FonistofCruxis You are spot on: as part of the title logo on the Japanese box art for Super Famicom Super Mario World, Nintendo have already set their own precedent, which establishes that game officially as Super Mario Bros. 4.

**** Edit: Sorry everyone, the above link that I posted in this comment for the Japanese box art of Super Mario World is incorrect, it is not the official Super Famicom box, it is a VGBoxArt custom redesign. Please see comments 13, 16 and 58 on this comments board for further information****

Dashtag

Dashtag said:

So what the Japanese box art says 4? Nintendo can make the box art say whatever they want, and have it be 4 in America.

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

Interesting points about Super Mario World being Super Mario Bros. 4 in Japan. We've had our share of different game titles between Japan and Western markets, however, so that doesn't necessarily rule it out :)

I like the idea of a direct follow-on, in style if nothing else, from SMB3. I also hope that this 2D Mario on 3DS is actually a shorter eShop title. Not only would a £7.99 (if you go high) NEW Mario platformer sell like crazy, it would significantly boost the profile for the download platform.

JamieOStaff

JamieO said:

@marc_max Whoops, apologies! I grabbed a quick link from 'Google Images', at a glance it looked correct for the Japanese Super Mario World box, but you are right your GameSpot image is the correct one (with the logo at the bottom of the box's front cover). D'oh!

However, the point that the Super Famicom box's logo states that SMW is already Super Mario Bros. 4 in Japan still stands.

@3Dangerous3Dash I agree, as @ThomasBW84 says, Nintendo already has a history of changing the name of games between regions (sometimes for legal reasons, as Star Fox became Starwing in PAL territories). Subsequently, there is no reason why the title of Super Mario Bros. 4 should not be used for a new game, separate to SMW, in the West. I wonder if this will have any impact on a Japanese release of a new 2D Mario game, though.

Collinhall

Collinhall said:

Hmmm... If SMB4 DID happen, I would want the graphics to be COMPLETELY original, not something that looks like NSMB or w/e. Hand drawn graphics came to mind - I would kill for that :D

JamieOStaff

JamieO said:

Personally, I would love a new 2D Mario title to be directly inspired by Super Mario World, in both its visual style (pixels and sprites, please) and the specifics of its gameplay.

I would happily purchase a game that returns to ideas such as a more meticulously designed world map with 96 hidden multiple route exits, the return of SMW's feather power-up and the gameplay dynamics of its cape. I would also like another game with visuals set in Dinosaur Land, including multi-coloured Yoshis galore and secrets like the star road.

The use of SMW tunes in Super Mario Galaxy 2 is a good example of how nostalgia for the SNES game can be celebrated in a new release today. SMW had a marvellous musical score.

Obviously we already have SMW, so a new game would also need to add an abundance of its own fresh ideas, but I think that Nintendo have already demonstrated skill at embracing the past while still incorporating new ideas in games like New Super Mario Bros. and Super Mario 3D Land.

Even the thought of it, whether on Wii, 3DS or Wii U, is lovely!

Other_DaveStaff

Other_Dave said:

Actually I reckon it will turn out to be a 3D platformer.
Super Mario = Super Mario 64*
Super Mario 2 = Super Mario Sunshine
Super Mario 3 = Super Mario Galaxy/Super Mario Galaxy 2

*I recall it actually did drop the "64" for the iQue version.

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

I agree with the first poster, SMW from what I recall was SMB4 in Japan. As someone else also said, since "SMB4" was never an official name over here, then they could pull that if they really wanted to. My thing is, if the next adventure was going to be SMB4, then what did that make NSMB and NSMBWii? Both of those went back to basics essentially, so a true SMB4 would have to exceed SMB3 and SMW. SMB4.com is probably just NSMB2 :P

Oh and, supermario4.com led me back to simply Nintendo.com :)

SuperMinusWorld

SuperMinusWorld said:

Holy crap, that sounds awesome. Although, I would enjoy if they kept in line with canon and didn't ignore Super Mario World being the original SMB4, despite it only being known as that in Japan. If they are doing this, however, then more power to them. All I know is that I am quite sick and tired of the NSMB art direction and all, and just want a proper, numbered 2D sequel. With co-op please!

grumblebuzzz

grumblebuzzz said:

If they do end up making it a numbered sequel, then I want it to be totally original and independent of the other games like the American SMB2 and SMB3 were. As much as I love SMB3, I think we have revisited it enough now. I wouldn't want to see any retro power ups or motifs in a new numbered SMB game.

bub166

bub166 said:

In my opinion, it wouldn't make sense. As the first poster said, SMW was SMB4 in Japan, and then you have to account for NSMB and NSMBW. The only way the name would be important is if they decide to make a new sprite based game, which I'd be happy with, but I just can't see it as being likely.

Dreadjaws

Dreadjaws said:

So, if they wanted to make a new SMB game they could easily title it "Super Mario Bros. 4" in America/Europe while giving it an entirely different name in Japan, like "Super Mario vs. Predator" or whatever they choose. This kind of thing is still happening today. Look at the new Pokemon game: "Nobunaga's Ambition" in Japan and "Conquest" in America.

LoopyLuigi

LoopyLuigi said:

there's no Bros. in the domain name, so I doubt it'll be a "Mario 4" game, also b/c of the SMB4 title in japan.

kkslider5552000

kkslider5552000 said:

I should emphasize that this would probably be awesome.

before I point out how much I kinda don't like this idea. My immediate reaction at least is along the lines of "this is uncreative because of Sonic episode 4 and Megaman 9 and countless other nostalgia games" and "this is pointless because how would this be that much different from the NSMB games?" and "I'm actively getting annoyed at the constant nostalgic nerd pandering".

That being said, Nintendo usually proves me wrong in situations like this (the entirety of 2011 aside) or maybe this has nothing to do with anything this obvious. I dunno.

supermario4

supermario4 said:

The website redirects to nintendo.com
I took the opportunity and took supermario4 as my username :P

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

Even if games have had different names in different regions in the past, I still don't think the next 2D Mario platformer should be called SMB4. It may not be in their names but SMW, NSMB and NSMBW are basically SMB 4, 5 and 6. They could call it Super Mario bros. 7 even if there weren't games called Super Mario bros. 4, 5 and 6 as they did a similar thing with Mario kart 7 and I know I complained about the name of MK7 when that was announced but I would rather they called it Super Mario bros. 7 than Super mario bros. 4 as that's like acting as if SMW, NSMB and NSMBW never existed.

BalrogtheMaster

BalrogtheMaster said:

Yeahhhh, everyone thought when pokemongrey.com was bought, that that would be the new game.

Waiting for proof :)

Rensch

Rensch said:

Super Mario Bros. 4 exists. It's just called Super Mario World. I believe they originally intended to call it that.

Kaeobais

Kaeobais said:

@FonistofCruxis True, but then again those were 3D (or 2.5D). IF they do make a Super Mario Bros. 4, I have a feeling it'd be like Mega Man 9, and be 8-bit. It would make sense, considering at this point Nintendo must know how much people like retro titles, what with the VC and all those remakes and such.

Savino

Savino said:

Call it Super Mario SunStarShineGalaxyFord78!!! I DONT CARE A BIT!!!!!!!
Just gimme a 2D Mario for 3DS already!!!!!!!!!!!!

tweet75

tweet75 said:

i can see nintendo calling there next nintendo game super mario brothers 4, super mario world is just that aka super mario 4. Its just like sega did with sonic 4 and sonic and knuckles was actually sonic 4.

RYBlast

RYBlast said:

I doubt they'd just call it Super Mario Bros. 4 and contradict themselves.

OdnetninAges

OdnetninAges said:

looks at New Super Mario Bros. Wii and "Upcoming 2.5D 3DS Mario Title"

It's possible that the NSMBM tech demo might also come to the 3DS, and drop the "New" out of the title, and just call it Mario 4.

LittleIrves

LittleIrves said:

@Dreadjaws: Now I really want a Mario vs. Predator game. Imagine Mario falling into the goop from Sunshine, only to cover himself with it to prevent the predator from seeing him... yeah.

FluttershyGuy

FluttershyGuy said:

Oh man, are we going to go back to the old days, like when the Final Fantasy games were numbered differently here (US) and in Japan? :P So, is Super Mario World OFFICIALLY Super Mario Bros. 4 in Japan, but not here? I'd love it if this is some indicator of it being somehow connected with Super Mario World. I want more Dinosaur Land and Yoshi! :D Whether it is connected, or it is an official SMB 4 for regions outside Japan, it's a good thing(I hope this is for side-scroller Mario, though... I want another good old traditional 2D Mario like I grew up with :)).

I thought numbering in most game series had become out dated anyway.

EDIT: I was just thinking, the timing of read this is interesting for me. Aside from Kid Icarus: Uprising, lately I've been playing a new file on Super Mario World. My way of celebrating my 20th anniversary of getting the SNES!

chronicler

chronicler said:

While I cannot dispute that SMB4 is also SBW, wasn't their SMB2 our SMB Lost Levels? And our SMB2 was their Super Mario Bros USA (or something similar)?So really I think that the point of it not being SMB4 is irrelevant, as the title could change based on region as it has been known to do in the past.

SomeBitTripFan

SomeBitTripFan said:

Well some people in Japan (the youngsters) might not know that. It makes me think of how Metroid has been numbered, but that was only for the 2d games. Also, it could just be something pointless.

NintendoMike

NintendoMike said:

"Mmmm... The fact that Super Mario World is known as Super Mario Bros. 4 in Japan means absolutely nothing. Remember: Super Mario Bros. 2 is known as Doki Doki Panic in Japan, while their own Super Mario Bros. 2 is known as "The Lost Levels" here and is taken as a sort of "expansion pack" for the first SMB."

It means everything. Not only is Super Mario World Super Bros. 4 in Japan, but that was its internal name while it was being developed.

In addition, the name change in America may not have occurred until shortly before the game was released. Sears actually ran a commercial for Super Mario World showing the title screen with "Super Mario Bros. 4" on it. This may have been gameplay from the Japanese copy, or it may have been a preview copy sent out before the title was changed.

Also, Nintendo went with Doki Doki Panic shortly after Japan's Super Mario Bros. 2 was released because of concerns about the game's difficulty and how similar it was to the first game (as I recall). However, Super Mario World has been out for decades with no issue as to whether it's a sequel to Mario 3 or not.

In fact, the manual for Super Mario World talks about how Mario had just chased Bowser and his kids out of the Mushroom Kingdom before vacationing in Dinosaur Land. That sunken ghost ship in Mario World? Yeah, that's a crashed airship from Mario 3.

Super Mario World is definitely Super Mario Bros. 4. I don't think Nintendo's domain name registration means anything about a new game.

x-mas_mii

x-mas_mii said:

smb: better than sonic episode 1
I just made a new roumer(?)
use all of the power-ups from all other mario games

OorWullie

OorWullie said:

@JamieO I don't know if anybodys already picked up on this but has anyone noticed Bowser is called Browser once on the back of the Japanese box?I wonder if that mistake was on the official box?Bit of a Resident Evil Revelaitons going on there

Pixel-Perfect

Pixel-Perfect said:

If super Mario World is really known as SMB4 in Japan then that pretty much guarantees the next Mario platformer won't be called that.

SuperMinusWorld

SuperMinusWorld said:

Aaaallllsssoooo, seeing as how they just announced that they would make a new 2D Mario for the 3DS, this story is HIGHLY plausible. And I support their direction. And for anyone that says that Super Mario World isn't the original Super Mario Bros 4, that was its name in Japan. Super Mario World was the subtitle.

JamieOStaff

JamieO said:

@wiiwii Second apologies, unfortunately my link to the Super Mario World Super Famicom box was incorrect in comment 12, it is not the official box, it is a custom design created by a fan on VGBoxArt.com (VGBA).

The correct box art work can be found on this retro gamer's YouTube unboxing video (check out the awesome world map instructions poster). I did not even know that VGBA existed as a resource for custom made video game box covers.

My mistake is embarrassing considering I collect Super Famicom games and SMW's yellow cover is iconic. In my defence, I actually only own the PAL version of SMW, although I have the gorgeous Super Famicom version of 'Yossy Island'. My error came from a quick Google search for the SMW Super Famicom box and the VGBA front cover looked similar, so I did not double-check it before posting the link.

As you have noted, I should have realised when I saw all the English text on the back of the box, that was a 'schoolboy error'. I know that Super Famicom Return of Double Dragon has a paragraph in English on the front of its box, but most Super Famicom games, and the back of SMW, only have Japanese text.

Sorry again that I created this confusion.

DivineDope

DivineDope said:

Me and my Brother were just talking about this a couple days ago!

We were talking of, how Fantastic it would be, if a new Sonic was made, in the Genesis graphical style, with Genesis type music. Not something like Sonic Advance, for example, which has more Cartoony graphics. But a New Game totally made with "Genesis Pieces". ONTO MARIO; the same aforementioned idea would be IncReDibLe applied to Mario. I'm not Anti-NewSuperMarioBros-esque 3D Mario, I just think it'd be great for a game to be released with NES or SNES Graphical Style/Vibes.

So THAT is the kind of game I'd like Super Mario Bros 4 to be, a New, Completely 2D (not 2.5D) game that utilizes the Look and Feel of the OldSchool games, and of course the addition of whatever NewSchool Technologies that could add to the experience... besides 2.5Dness. : )

Henmii

Henmii said:

I would love a Super mario bros 4, but I don't think it will happen! Because if it has 3D models instead of sprites I guess it just will be called New super Mario bros 3D/Wii u!

I don't think Nintendo will ever make Mario/Zelda games with sprites again. A shame really!

OorWullie

OorWullie said:

@JamieO Nothing to be embarrassed about man :-) Thanks for the unboxing video,brought back memories of how exciting it used to be when after staring at little screen shots in a mag for a highly anticipated game for what seemed like months and then the day comes when you get the game and it lives up to expectations or the disappointment when it turned out to be crap haha.Wonder if the wee 1's still get that feeling nowadays?I personally don't think it will be quite the same with all the previews that are available online taking away that mystery that used to come with the older titles.

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

Dozens of hidden exits plus a world map that's as interactive as SMB3's and contains SMW's switch palaces would be amazing. Original bosses instead of the Koopalings, Bowser Jr. and Boom Boom could make this one game that makes saying SMB sound epic again.

saa6786

saa6786 said:

i think i know why they called it super mario 4. If you see, NSMB is technically "super mario 1." NSMBW is technically Super Mario 2." SM3DL is technically Super Mario 3." So this one is Super Mario 4.