Nintendo Download: 2nd February 2012 (North America)

Posted by James Newton

eShop comes into bloom

Today sees the release of a much-anticipated 3DS samurai game, a DSiWare zombie shooter and the next instalment in a globe-trotting maths series. What could be better?

3DS Download Software

Sakura Samurai: Art of the Sword (Nintendo, $6.99) — It's like Punch-Out!!, only with swords instead of boxing gloves. It's a solid little game, as our Sakura Samura: Art of the Sword review explains.

DSiWare

GO Series: Undead Storm (Gamebridge, 200pts) — The GO Series returns in typically affordable fashion with a four player co-operative zombie shooter. We'll be fending off the undead apocalypse with a review soon.

WiiWare

Carmen Sandiego Adventures in Math: The Great Gateway Grab (The Learning Company, 600pts) — Any game where the official description starts with "breaking news from Mumbai!" has to be good, right? We expect this to be pretty similar to the previous Carmen Sandiego Adventures in Math games, but we'll still review it for you.

Nintendo Video

Drown in the Now by The Crystal Method (available 3rd February at 3 p.m. PST) — UVPHACTORY created a graphic black, white and red New York neighborhood that has been infested by small robots. The video culminates with Matisyahu's rescue via boat by The Crystal Method.

European readers might also like to see the Nintendo Download: 2nd February 2012 for Europe. What are you grabbing this week, folks?

Related Games

SeVok

SeVok said:

I wonder if Europe will get Sakura Samurai: Art of the Sword today.

Sam_Loser2

Sam_Loser2 said:

3D color game? Or black and white small screen game? I want the latter personally.

Rawk_Hawk

Rawk_Hawk said:

I'm sorry North America. Sorry you had to wake up and see more junk on the Wii shop.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

404 Error: VC Not Found

So you're pretty much guaranteed something next week then.

Dodger

Dodger said:

Junk? We got a first party made new IP from Nintendo that has been getting good reviews most places I look. No demo and wii owners might as well of been given a vulgar hand sign but you mentioned the eshop and we didn't just get junk.

ocarinaoftime

ocarinaoftime said:

Looks like the 3ds vc is getting treated just like wii....im sorry i got rid of some my snes games thinkin ill be able to get them back on vc....im close to getting alot back.....i had a hard time getting mario all stars back....

Rawk_Hawk

Rawk_Hawk said:

Yes I did say junk but I'm referring to the Wii Shop which has killed off the best service it had in the VC, and lets Wii Ware get flooded every week with low budget shovelware. I hope Nintendo makes some big changes when the Wii U's digital store is released because if its like what Wii Ware and DSi Ware are now then I won't be downloading anything. It will save me some money though

Unca_LzStaff

Unca_Lz said:

Oh no, whatever will I do without that Wii VC game that I won't buy anyway? :O

Woe is me!!

Kyloctopus

Kyloctopus said:

Maybe Nintendo should learn from SONY. The Vita will have retail for download. And it is rumored to have a $5.00 discount.
The Wii shop has been getting alot of junk in comparison to XBox's shop, PS3's shop, or Apple's.

CosmoXY

CosmoXY said:

RAD! Getting Sakura Samurai: Art of the Sword as soon as I get home! Great update today, sorry for those that are disappointed.

joevox316

joevox316 said:

@Koops3 Nintendo has already mentioned that retail downloads may be in the future with their upcoming online updates. Don't know if it's official yet but they mentioned it.

Also...YAY! Samurai! Can't wait to download it. :)

mega

mega said:

wow... we need a gameboy or GB color game. (mabye gameboy advance or a 3d classic)

Stargazer

Stargazer said:

@16

I am interested in this one as well. I really liked Dark Spirits and Ninja Karakuri Den.

Sakura Samurai looks pretty great as well. But I'm thinking I should save my $ for that Dillon's game....

Geonjaha

Geonjaha said:

Seems like NA is getting more and more 3DSWare, with ours behind. Also as always I must say seeing any new VC game would be appreciated.

LittleIrves

LittleIrves said:

Sakura Samurai, please.
(Although... wouldn't a Groundhog's Day game, in the vein of the movie, be interesting? Having the re-play the same day over and over? Sort of like Majora's Mask but in rural Pennsylvania.)

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

Sakura Samari looks like quite a fun, vibrant little gem. Definitely not Junk in my book. Still, though, I probably won't be getting it, seeing as how I generally suck at button-mashers and fighting games in general.

On the other hand, Carmen Sandiego Math = "314.15% Junk" in my book. And yes, I PI'ed it... A Pi in wiiware's face... :D

komicturtle

komicturtle said:

I still think Nintendo is holding VC releases on Wii so they can start rolling out more classics on WiiU. Not sure about 3DS VC. Part of me doubt that's the case however.

pariah164

pariah164 said:

All these people complaining about the update this week. Eh, haters gonna hate. Time to download Sakura Samurai for me!

RQuinain

RQuinain said:

I had $7.41 on my account when I saw that this game was released.

With tax, it costs $7.43.

DOHHHHHHH.

SteveW

SteveW said:

joevox316 - If we have to wait as long for retail games as we do with Wiiware and DSIware then forget it. We would be waiting for like 2 years for a Mario game to be posted for download... I give up, Nintendo's download service is just dead

SteveW

SteveW said:

Still waiting on the 3D Classics Kid Icarus release in USA... what is up with that? are we waiting for them to translate English to English?

Nintendi

Nintendi said:

I thought the Metal Gearl 3 demo was gonna be available today. I was sooooo disappointed.

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

The Samurai game looks cool but once again the lack of any VC is absolutely pathetic.

WolfRamHeart

WolfRamHeart said:

Is anyone else experiencing problems with Sakura Samurai not working? I can't get it to boot up past the loading screen. I called Nintendo Customer Service and was told they are aware of the issue and are working to resolve it. It is supposedly an isolated issue so if you managed to purchase it and are playing it then you are one of the lucky ones. Darn my luck. :(

mfc380c

mfc380c said:

Good lord. I was hoping to see the rayman origins or metal gear solid: 3d snake eater demo. Does anyone know when those will be making there way to the e-shop in north america.

theblackdragonAdmin

theblackdragon said:

@WolfRamHeart: You're not alone — user metalpants was complaining about it earlier, but I hadn't bought the game myself yet to confirm it or not, and TJ said he hadn't had any problems with it (and in fact seemed to be enjoying his purchase quite a bit). i hope it works when i buy it later :(

BulbasaurusRex

BulbasaurusRex said:

@coolvw Vblank says it will be submitted in about a month, then we 'll probably have to sit through a couple more months of mostly edutainment and hidden object titles before it reaches the front of the queue.

WolfRamHeart

WolfRamHeart said:

@theblackdragon: It really is odd. I saw five people on my friends list playing it today with no problems. I honestly thought that it was my system until I contacted Nintendo and they confirmed the issue. The good thing is that they are aware of the problem and are working to fix it. I hope that you download a good working copy of the game. Good luck.

Birdman

Birdman said:

No demo? Oh well. I'll be picking up Sakura Samurai eventually, and I'll have to see how Undead Storm turns out ...

Aqueous

Aqueous said:

I keep re-downloading to no avail, the one time I get a game and say down load later everything goes wrong but I will get this to work.

Ramses

Ramses said:

Another bad week... An underwhelming and overpriced eShop game and no VC game.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

Wow this is sad it appears that Nintendo just doesnt care about their Virtual Console services anymore. If this is that case why even have them in the first place?

Unca_LzStaff

Unca_Lz said:

@Tasuki: Why should people bother downloading the games when all they're gonna do is whine about the service? ;)

CosmoXY

CosmoXY said:

My Sakura Samurai game downloaded and plays properly, what a relief after reading that some of you are having trouble with it. To all those saying that it does not look good, have you read any reviews? IGN and this site gave it 9 and 8. I played it for a bit and am so far quite impressed. It has nice presentation, style and a surprising amount of depth, even right from the beginning. Not to mention it was developed in-house by Nintendo, and you can tell! You all should give it a shot.

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

^ I just might. You did say it was dev'd in-house by Nintendo. Sounds like it's worth checking out.

AVahne

AVahne said:

Got Sakura Samurai and Undead Storm. Sakura Samurai's really fun, if not a little difficult for impatient people, and I'm really looking forward to dedicating my steps to the Rock Garden everyday. Undead Storm has awkward aiming controls, the turning speed is a bit too loose. Other than that, it's pretty fun for a $2 game, just too bad it doesn't have Download Play.

FluttershyGuy

FluttershyGuy said:

I'd complain about yet another no VC for either system week except: 1. I'm wasting my finger usage because it's pointless and 2. I already complained in the Japan VC story. Oh yeah, guess I did just complain. Never mind. Furthermore...

REGGIE!!!!!!!!

Untitled

LeasTwanteD

LeasTwanteD said:

@WolfRamHeart(48.): Could you give me a short heads up when it's fixed ?
(Yes, it's not likely i'll have the issue. But as long as it isn't fixed i could potentially end up with something which will never work. I guess i won't download it before it isn't fixed.)
Otherwise it would be a day one download. If it comes to Europe, sure.

Son

Son said:

Is this game lengthy enough to play? or is it easy to finish the whole game?

realar

realar said:

Thanks Aqueous! DAMN this game is fun and actually quite complex and simple at the same time. The battle format is wonderfully distinct, though more types of enemies wouldn't hurt.