Double Dragon II Coming to Save Wii Virtual Console

Posted by James Newton

Everything's not lost

Well, maybe that's a bit strong, but we can't help but get a little excited when we hear news of another Virtual Console game heading to Wii, even if it is only Double Dragon II on NES.

Aksys confirmed it's taking the 8-bit beat 'em up digital in the near future, though there's no more concrete release window than that. Of course we've already got Double Dragon on Virtual Console to tide us over until then. Maybe.

The publisher also announced it's releasing Double Dragon on 3DS Virtual Console on 20th October.

[via siliconera.com]

Slionr

Slionr said:

REALLY? :D
one of my favorite beat em ups ever^^ I lost hope to ever see this game on VC, man I cant wait :O

Link79

Link79 said:

Wow I honestly thought this was never coming.
The original Nes game has been on VC for years and just now they're throwing us this one?
Took long enough. This is my favorite of the series!
Now we wait. Guess I'll be able to download it by 2015 then.

@ Mr_Moore3506
I remember those Tiger hand helds!
I actually owned that version before playing the Nes game.

Link79

Link79 said:

@ Mr_Moore3506
I used to have a bunch of those as a kid. That was back before I got my first Gameboy. There was another one called Karate King that I kinda liked. Them were the good old days. :)

TKOWL

TKOWL said:

Still not enough to lift VC out of its eternal death, but greatly appreciated to see a classic like this appear :)

Rawk_Hawk

Rawk_Hawk said:

I'm excited but Sega announced a bunch of Wii VC games a while back and nothing has appeared. I'll get excited when it arrives. And it is an amazing NES game with co-op play!!!

outrun2sp

outrun2sp said:

Pretty good game but has dated now.

When is the wonderboy game gonna come out.

warioswoods

warioswoods said:

Aw man, finally. That was one of the first games I looked for when I picked up a Wii and went on the store for the first time.

Rawk_Hawk

Rawk_Hawk said:

Since its close to Halloween maybe its time for Nintendo to resurrect the Wii VC from its grave.

bezerker99

bezerker99 said:

Wow, it's been a while since I've looked forward to a VC release! It's going to be an instant download for me, despite owning the cart. Long live the VC!!!

Pj1

Pj1 said:

Yeah I can't wait, the VC lives on!! there are a few games on VC that North America has and Europe don't. It would be good to get them too.

misswliu81

misswliu81 said:

finally, a game for the wii V.C service. and a very good choice too.
hopefully, this will spur on more and more classic games coming on the V.C. just when i thought it was dead for good.

i'm happy. :-)

Ichabod

Ichabod said:

DD 2 is a good start. Next we need to see Maniac Mansion. Now THAT would help bring the VC back to life! lol

Ryno

Ryno said:

...even if it is only Double Dragon II on NES.

Only??? Double Dragon II is fantastic!

I will believe it when I see it though. How was this confirmed? Did Aksys contact Nintendolife directly?

TTGlider

TTGlider said:

This is good news. So we don't have an explanation for the drought, the backlog (above-mentioned Sega game included... and how 'bout Lufia?) and the future with Wii U, but at least we know there is still some steam left. A relief.

James

James said:

@Ryno haha, I was waiting for someone to pick up on that joke :) Also, confirmation is in the source link over at Siliconera :)

Ryno

Ryno said:

@James: Glad your "only" was just a joke! :D
Thanks, obviously missed that source link! I am so used to hyperlinks nowadays being right there within the sentence I forgot about looking at the end. Haha...

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

@Ryno: Dang you just picked up the original cart on NES a few days ago didnt you? Maybe that was some sort of sign lol, Quick go buy a cartridge of Earthbound. Lol

Anyway back on topic not to sound rude or anything but I am at the point that I dont believe it untill I see it on the Wii VC menu.

@James: Hey how come you guys didnt mention that that article also mentions the Gameboy version of Double Dragon coming to the 3DS VC as well?

shonenjump86

shonenjump86 said:

Awesome, used to play DD 2 when I was younger. Would be nice to have the Acrade versions on VC as well.

Ryno

Ryno said:

@Tasuki: Haha.. No, I actually bought DD III don't have II yet. Maybe I just need to buy a Mother/Earthbound game for either the Famicom or GBA (isn't that what Mother 3 is on?) and then Earthbound will come!

Also, did you miss this part in James's article where he did talk about 3DS DD? ;)

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

@Ryno: Ooops my bad on both counts but I guess thats what I get reading the article and posting first thing in the morning when I get up lol.

Darn I could have sworn it was you who bought DDII maybe it was one of other Retro homeboys like Waveboy or Retro on the Go that bought it recently. Honestly you guys make so many retro purchases that I cant keep them straight ;).

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

WHAT IN THE HELL has taken Aksys, who obviously has the rights to DD, to land this game? The only thing I can think of is the drama involved with getting the rights away from publisher Acclaim Entertainment, but geez. I don't even care WHEN, I'm just glad that finally it WILL happen. Hopefully DD3 and SDD won't be too far behind whenever this comes out. And, "Double Dragon" to the 3DS virtual console... guess I'll get my chance to finally play some portable DD.

IAmChristinaAguilera

IAmChristinaAguilera said:

The situation with Acclaim is most likely the cause for the delay, I'd think. It's a game developed by Technos, whose holdings now belong to Aksys, that was published by Acclaim, who went bankrupt and whose holdings are now owned by Throwback Entertainment, which as far as I can tell hasn't been doing anything with them in the years since they bought them.

Sounds like a good old-fashioned IP rights trainwreck to me!

FluttershyGuy

FluttershyGuy said:

Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike announcer: YEAH, I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS!

Got the original Double Dragon NES, but due to circumstances, didn't play this when it came out. It's been on my "Retro To Buy" list, but I'm waiting for the VC version now. Is Marian gunned down in the intro of this one, like she is in the arcade version? That's another question I have. Double Dragon arcade was on Xbox Live, but was delisted. Wonder if we'll see it return, and other versions of the Double Dragon games start to see releases?

@Mr_Moore3506
I've played those Tiger handhelds! Didn't get them myself, but I had a friend who would let me play them on the school bus/at lunch. I remember Ironsword, TNMT, etc. A few years ago, McDonalds was putting Crash Bandicoot games styled like the old Tiger games in their Happy Meals, LOL!

Game-Over

Game-Over said:

Great news, i have good memories of playing this game years ago, 2 player was fun as were the moves. Good to hear that it's coming to the virtual console.

ogo79

ogo79 said:

ive always had DD2 on nes but i have been waiting for the day they put it on the ol' Wii VC. ill be supporting this and purchasing it for the Wii
for years i have been wondering if this will ever come out on VC...
i am so glad this is coming!
i dont care if i own the original im getting it again

darklinkinfinite

darklinkinfinite said:

For the love of god, give me Castlevania: Bloodlines! I never owned a Genesis and isn't that what the whole virtual console was supposed to be for?

I weep!

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

Hope the VC sees more games. I'm waiting for (MM)X2, & MM6, although only the former has been esrb rated.

Edit: I too, remember those Tiger games. A family member had Home Alone. I remember specifically the one for one of the Sonic games: An old woman on a plane saying, "My gracious! Monkey Dudes!"

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

Nice, I played this game with a friend back in the day. Coop was lots of fun and this one does not even need a Classic Controller. So maybe I will convince my bro to play it, since he loved the first two arcade DD games.

Expa0

Expa0 said:

Too little, Too late. Wii's lifespan ended after Xenoblade. Now it's time to move on.

BRAINFOX

BRAINFOX said:

how about getting the rest of the games on the JP vc? From what I saw on their website, there's like twice as many games for each console!

SNK

SNK said:

why the hell are they Bringing the Hapless Nes verion to the VC when they could bring the Arcade Version instead,it just doesnt make any sence.

IAmChristinaAguilera

IAmChristinaAguilera said:

Unless I'm mistaken, I believe that the arcade version of DD2 actually had significantly more slowdown than the NES version. In any case, the NES version is a much more peppy game; it has definitely aged better.

SNK

SNK said:

the Nes version is no where near as good as the Arcade Version.

starcrunch061

starcrunch061 said:

I liked the NES version better, but that's neither here nor there: I wish something would hurry and come out.

Kurachi

Kurachi said:

was a great game, and prolly still is, but i dont have much money, so i prolly stay with river city ransom/street gangs, which has a bit of RPG in it

i DO hope more wii VC games will show up, especially 1 i cant forget called robotrek o_O

i doubt it, but for now.... great to see this one coming to VC
btw, i wanted river city ransom/street gangs just cuz it was close to this game (DD2)
a lil late i guess :p

Dominic77

Dominic77 said:

double dragon II needs to happen!! i own it on the nes but that retired a long time ago, please just do us a favour and put it on VC so we can relive our youth! and while your at it put double dragon arcade on VC as well!! let the wii go out with a huge bang! instead of a puff of smoke!! ... :)

misswliu81

misswliu81 said:

still waiting for this game to come out. don't understand why this is taking so long.

DarkEdi

DarkEdi said:

I will to download all the new VC games if Nintendo dares to revive the service. All i said, to support the revival.