Super Mario 3D Land Video Shows Raccoon Bowser and More

Posted by James Newton

Those tails get everywhere

The return of the Tanooki Suit in Super Mario 3D Land is causing a lot of excitement, but even more exciting than seeing the tail pinned on Mario is seeing his age-old adversary wagging the stripy length of fur around like a dog with a bone.

The new trailer below from Nintendo Conference 2011 shows the raccoon tail swinging behind Bowser in certain scenes, though don't expect to grab hold of it and swing him around, Super Mario 64-style — it's spiky.

These and many more questions will be answered when the game sees release on 13th November in North America and 18th in Europe.

Omenapoika

Omenapoika said:

This was foreseen in the Mario cartoon when Koopa made the pendant to steal Mario's powers! :D

MrArcade

MrArcade said:

Sorta reminds me of mario land 2 where wario uses fire flower and bunny hood.

JettiBlue

JettiBlue said:

Looks fantastic! I'm totally excited for this! cant remember a time when I did get that excited about a Mario game (and usually I'm thrilled anyway!)
Bring on Nov. the 19th :D

Collinhall

Collinhall said:

I was going to get other games in novemer, but I think Skyward Sword is going to have a new friend :D

Samholy

Samholy said:

whoa. WHOA
this is a truly unique mario ! i love the top down aerial view.

november gonna be brutal... mario and monster hunter, not counting awesome titles on ps3 like skyrim and battlefield 3...
plus skyward sword...

warioswoods

warioswoods said:

Pro: propellor blocks in a 3D Mario? Awesome.

Con: looks like another boring, linear level select like in Galaxy 2. I'm rarely disappointed by anything in Mario games, but I've grown very disheartened with their recent abandonment of any kind of interesting hub or over-world.

Super Mario World had its beautiful 2D over-map, Mario 64 had the castle, and Sunshine boasted the greatest 3D hub to date... so Nintendo undoubtedly once understood how to make enjoyable maps and hubs better than anyone. But now... they've just given up. It made Galaxy 2 a much less enjoyable experience than its predecessor, for me, and it makes this game seem less exciting than it should be.

19Robb92

19Robb92 said:

This look amazing :) I can't wait to play it. I'll get it along with Skyward Sword since they release the same day in Europe, but I probably won't play it for like a week or something. Skyward Sword is gonna get all my time :)

WaveyChristmas

WaveyChristmas said:

I could care less about having a Hub World, in fact i couldn't stand Galaxy's for the most part. it made it confusing based on where to go, you'd always get mixed up or forget where a certain Galaxy was located... At least I did. :p Plus for me, it was just annoying to navigate. I MUCH prefer Maps like in SMB3 or SMWorld, which were totaly eye catching, brilliant and fun to jump through, and they were super quick and on the fly.

Anyways, i'm hoping to hell that the Frog Suite makes a return. :D

warioswoods

warioswoods said:

@16 Believe me, I know that it's a matter of taste, but it's notable as perhaps the only area where my own tastes have diverged sharply from the recent Mario series. If not for the hub / map downgrades, these games would be the perfection of game design.

The_Fox

The_Fox said:

Only thing I'm concerned about with this is the camera. Camera controls can make or break a 3D platformer, and they can be tricky to get right on a handheld.

Still a day one purchase for me.

TeeJay

TeeJay said:

Maybe it's a fashion trend of the Mushroom Kingdom to have a raccoon tail. Like, they're going back in style or something. XD

Pokefanmum82

Pokefanmum82 said:

november is a busy month for me, i have zelda, super mario 3D land, shinobi, cave story 3D, james noir's hollywood crimes, and maybe the new call of duty game.....can't wait for the new mario game. it looks awesome

19Robb92

19Robb92 said:

Wait, Cave Story 3D is coming out in November too?? What's the exact date?

Damn, November is one hell of a gaming month!

Luffymcduck

Luffymcduck said:

@warioswoods

Glad to see someone thinks the same way I do. I´ve missed World style map since New Super Mario Bros. I thought they´d make a better make for a sequel, but no.

Doma

Doma said:

I'm not that excited for this anymore. Seems like another Galaxy with a few extra power-ups to me. I'll buy it eventually, but not this year.

Punny

Punny said:

I can't believe I just noticed the raccoon tail. Similar to Comment 1, that kinda reminds me of this:

He's saying "Hey, faucet face," by the way.

TKOWL

TKOWL said:

Oh wow, Nintendo. Stop releasing video of this game! It's only making me more impatient! >:/

chronicler

chronicler said:

What I want to know is if both Racoon and Tanooki Mario are returning? I'm fine with just one but I'm wondering if the statue aspect will be in it.

TheAmazingRaccoon

TheAmazingRaccoon said:

they are tacking raccoon tails on everything (as evidenced by my avatar). I wonder how it is going to change how the enemys operate

Kirk

Kirk said:

The map looks a wee bit rubbish. A bit too simple if that's all it is. I wish they'd go back to the maps as they were in the likes of SMB3 and SMW with maybe a quick select option for those times when you can't be bothered walking to the whatever level you want to play.

Geonjaha

Geonjaha said:

Looks like a good game, and I'll be picking it up. I know right now my complaints with the game will be that it is too easy and too short. I also cant believe the hype that gets thrown up about something as simple as bowser having the tanooki tail in one boss fight. It's as if anything new in this series conjures mass excitement..

WertyYertrew

WertyYertrew said:

This game looks like the result of an organic reaction between both New Super Mario games and Super Mario Galaxy 2 with Super Mario 3 as a catalyst.

I'm trying to determine whether or not that's a good thing.

ianmage1

ianmage1 said:

Am I the only one who noticed the toad during the bowser battle, probably waiting to tell Mario that the princess is in another castle?

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

I so cant wait for this game. So glad I got a 3DS it will be worth it for this game alone.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

Since Kid Icarus: Uprising is delayed to next year, this is now my most anticipated game this year. Eight worlds with seven levels each and some with incentive to replay should keep me occupied.

@44: You're not the only one that noticed that. I think he's just being held prisoner.

PSICOffee

PSICOffee said:

I agree with everyone craving a good level select map of old. I blame that new guy whose making the new Mario platformers like the galaxy series (or maybe Miyamoto himself is getting lazy or thinks creative maps are too hard and confusing for this new fluffy gamer generation).

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

Too . much . Tanooki ! or raccoon i don't care.
Makes you wonder if Miyamoto is blackmailed by Tom Nook because he needs another room to store underused peripherals ...

Thwiidscube

Thwiidscube said:

"This video coming soon in 3D on Nintendo eShop"

Awesome! I can't wait for Mario 3D Land. It looks absolutely exciting! :)

Javin

Javin said:

This is going to be completely awesome! :) I love these kinds of games! I'm totaly buying this. This will probably be my favorite game for the 3DS :)