Wii U "A Better Fit" for Valve's Development Model

Posted by James Newton

Might Gordon Freeman come to Nintendo?

Valve is respected as one of the Western world's best developers, having created the legendary Half-Life and Portal series. It's never released anything on a Nintendo console though, but there's a chance that could change with Wii U on the horizon.

Joystiq recently asked Valve co-founder and head Gabe Newell what he made of Nintendo's new console, and while his response was completely non-committal it's an indication the company might be ready to investigate Wii U development.

Wii U seems to be a lot more powerful than the previous generation. It sort of fits better into the scalability in terms of graphics performance and CPU performance, so I think it'll be a lot easier for us to fit it into our scalability model.

We can't begin to imagine how phenomenal Portal could be on the Wii U controller. Here's hoping.

[via joystiq.com]

Aviator

Aviator said:

Vavle would be awful for Nintendo fanboy's. They think they waited long for Pikmin, wait till they get a glance at Half-Life.

47drift

47drift said:

Ohhhh jeez. Can't wait to buy games so I can get hats for my Miis. And keys for crate drops in Smash Bros.

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

It would be great if Portal and its sequel get released on the wii U, those games look really good. The left 4 dead series looks pretty good too.

V8_Ninja

V8_Ninja said:

Hmm...that's an interesting answer. Maybe it's because Valve seems to be ever-updating the source engine until they manage to release Half-Life 2: Episode 3. Either way, Valve on a Nintendo console would be awesome.

JimLad

JimLad said:

"Wii U looks powerful enough to port our multiplatform games to"
That's basically what he's saying, and it's a good thing.

AVahne

AVahne said:

What I'm starting to think is that some of these devs are talking about porting these games with higher settings PC-wise than the HD twins.

Ravage

Ravage said:

This is why it will be an excellent decision on Nintendo's part to finally make their hardware more accessible.

C7_

C7_ said:

Wii U + Steam integration = Happy C7.

I want to see that happen

Jr-Joe

Jr-Joe said:

Half Life 3 on Wii U would be pretty cool if valve would be creative with the Wii/Wii U hardware.

Token_Girl

Token_Girl said:

@koto
I think that's what he means too, seeing as pc is the primary development platform for Valve. The best console version of a major valve title would be huge for WiiU. Of course, that would mean valve would need to release a new title within 2-3 years...

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

That's cool the at least they've "considered" the WiiU... trust me, even if that's as good as it gets, that's far better than Nintendo's received in the past from various 3rd parties, especially as esteemed as Valve.

TheGreenSpiny

TheGreenSpiny said:

No way would I want to play Portal or Half-Life with anything but a Wii Remote and Nunchuk. Make it happen Valve.

TanookiMike

TanookiMike said:

Oh my God Oh my God OH MY GOD

I normally don't login or comment, but PLEASE GABEN AND REGGIE MAKE THIS HAPPEN FOR A FANBOY!

That is all.

Squid

Squid said:

I sure hope so! I would LOVE to see Portal and Team Fortress 2 (maybe 3?) on Wii U, considering I won't give money to Sony or Micro-farts. Plus, my computer can't handle those games on PC, so a Wii U would be my only option to play those games.

CerealKiller062

CerealKiller062 said:

A new version of the Orange Box is an order I think.

Edit: @DarkSquid

Your really have to have an ancient computer in order not to run these games. Give them a shot. You can always try the demos. :)

Ryno

Ryno said:

This just in from the wire: Every developer may be interested in developing games for the Wii U to make more money.

Simmer_E

Simmer_E said:

Didn't they make Left 4 Dead?
Hope they release Left 4 Dead 3 on the WiiU and 3Ds 8)

Rapadash6

Rapadash6 said:

If the hardware is comparable and easy to port to, then there is no reason for any third party developer to NOT support the Wii U. The more avenues in which to sell your products, with minimal cost, can only be seen as a good thing for everyone involved.

I know a lot of people might point to the Gamecube as a counter argument to this, but the situation is different now then it was 10 years ago. First of all, multiplatform releases are far more common these days. A lot of companies, in this economic climate, don't see as much benefit of console exclusives as they once have.

Second, Nintendo, unlike with the Gamecube, seems to be developing Wii U with 3rd party needs in mind right from the systems conception. The fact that Nintendo is reiterating over and over again, how they want a system everyone can enjoy really proves their devotion to making these developers happy with the Wii U. It seems every week a new, once Nintendo absent, developer brings praise to Nintendo for this new console and I'm sure there's more to come.

Robo-goose

Robo-goose said:

This. This right here. This made my day/week/life.
If Valve starts to make its games for the Wii U, then there's a chance that I won't be using a PC for gaming anymore.

EDIT: Never mind. I just remember how much Left For Dead sucked on the 360 when compared to the PC.
Mouse+keyboard=ten times better than any console's controllers.

RyuZebian

RyuZebian said:

I love Valve's games, they've pretty much made no bad game to date! But Steam on a PC is how they were meant to be played. If Valve would develop games that worked as well on consoles as on a computer, then maybe...

GammaGames

GammaGames said:

I really hope for a Wii U version of Portal 1, 2, (and hopefully) 3, all bundled into one :3

WolfRamHeart

WolfRamHeart said:

It would be absolutely fantastic to have Valve's games on the Wii U. Great to see that more and more 3rd Party developers are warming up to Nintendo now.:)

Deviant_Mugen

Deviant_Mugen said:

I've never played a Valve game, but their reputation speaks for itself. I'd definitely make it a point to buy their games if they released on the Wii U...

Hope the next article of this kind is about Bethesda...

Henmii

Henmii said:

Here's a hint, Valve: Put Half-life 1 (the graphical updated version), Half-life 2, Half-life 2: episode 1, episode 2, Portal 1 and Portal 2 on one disc! Add the for eternity delayed episode 3 as a bonus! And announce Half-life 3 as a Wii u exclusive!

Oh, I should get a hold of myself! I just wait and see what happens!

Xkhaoz

Xkhaoz said:

GLaDOS: It's been a long time, how have you been? I think we can put our differences behind us, for science.

Supremeist

Supremeist said:

I absolutely LOVE Valve! Maybe they can do something like the Orange Box for the Wii U.. If this becomes announced, I am definitely gonna look into buying the console.

Noire

Noire said:

If Valve is gonna make anything for Wii U I want it to be a game based on Full-Life Consequences. It's time for John Freeman to live up to his family name.

Zombie goasts leave this place!

GreenInferno

GreenInferno said:

What difference does that make? The Wii U will just be another console that Valve over-promises/under-delivers on.

I played through HL2 and I can't even remember it now.

taffy

taffy said:

I'm I the only one who thinks it would be a great idea if Valve did a sequel to the Metroid Prime series. Given their track record with First person shooters with puzzle elements I can't think of anyone better to take over the incredible legacy that Retro studios left on those gem of games.

JGMR

JGMR said:

I despise first-person shooters in general, but Half-Life 2 is always welcome in my opinion, because it's so incredibly well-done.

Henmii

Henmii said:

"I'm I the only one who thinks it would be a great idea if Valve did a sequel to the Metroid Prime series"

Though I have never played any Half-life game before, that's maybe not a bad idea!

hydeks

hydeks said:

Not excited, you can easily pick up Valve games for every system BUT Nintendo systems.

Henmii

Henmii said:

"Not excited, you can easily pick up Valve games for every system BUT Nintendo systems"

That's why it's a big deal! It could be the first time Valve doesn't ignore a Nintendo console!