Capcom Announces Live Action Ace Attorney Movie

Posted by James Newton

Wait until you see Edgeworth

Japan's appetite for all things Ace Attorney continues, as Capcom and director Takashi Miike announce a joint project to bring the offbeat detective series to the silver screen.

The appointment of Miike as director is an interesting choice, as his past work spans everything from Yatterman to the severely gory Ichi the Killer. With Ace Attorney Investigations 2 not coming Westward it seems unlikely this film will reach non-Japanese audiences.

The live action movie will hit Japanese screens in early 2012.

[via siliconera.com]

jaffa

jaffa said:

I would rather have an anime movie than a live action movie though.

Late

Late said:

Nice to have a movie about Ace Attorney but I'm on the same side as JafriYakin.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

Live action adaptations of videogames or manga/anime tend to be amateurish and take many liberties with the characters and the storyline. I could name ten such movies that I consider to be bad just off the top of my head.

Discipledoctor

Discipledoctor said:

Not sure about this one. Let's hope for the best, because this needs to come to America. Provided it doesn't suck.

SilverBaretta

SilverBaretta said:

Pff, what? This sounds.......intriguing, to say the least. Wonder how it'll turn out. Who knows? It may come westward on a limited release, since last time I checked, that Death Note live action movie came out in the west, and that's waaaaaaaaaay more Japanese.

The_Fox

The_Fox said:

That's a terrible idea and whoever came up with it should be ashamed of themselves.

Morphbug

Morphbug said:

OH MY GAWD

A movie with computer generated everything would be better, but this will be interesting...

theblackdragonAdmin

theblackdragon said:

wtf is up with the live-action trend? you've got perfectly good 2D character designs, use them D:

that said, i am dreading this movie (wtf that does not look like Phoenix at all)... but i'll watch it fansubbed anyway :3

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

Live action movie? No thanks. It just doesn't match the style of gameplay found in the games.

kurtasbestos

kurtasbestos said:

Holy crap, a video game movie by a REAL director??? Takashi Miike is a . I hope this turns out to be more on the Zebraman side of the scale than the Visitor Q side.

zionich

zionich said:

Cause im sure I say it too much, but Monster Hunter 3DS is all I want to hear from Capcom :P

CapedGodot

CapedGodot said:

THE ACTOR DOESN'T HAVE POINTY HAIR OMGWTFGTFO!
In all seriousness, this could turn out to be really good or really terrible. I'm thinking that the latter is more likely, but I'd love to be proven wrong.

JaxxRaxor

JaxxRaxor said:

@JafriYakin
I agree. Japanese live adaptations in general aren't as good. A major issue being Japan so ethnically homogeneous so making diverse looking characters can be a challenge. Although I think Japanese live action adaptations of video games are superior to the ones Hollywood sends out.

MasterGraveheart

MasterGraveheart said:

Just keep Uwe Bowl away from it at ALL COSTS!

Shouldn't they be spending that money on translating Phoenix Wright vs. Professor Layton?

edhe

edhe said:

Who the heck is Takashi Miike!? Uwe Boll should direct it instead.

Stine

Stine said:

I don't think I'd like to see live action versions of my beloved characters. An anime would probably have been better.

Supervada

Supervada said:

I never play PhoenixWright but making a live movie would be cool I guess but an anime movie is better. The only Capcom movie that I like was the Street Fighter Chu Li movie. That not because it got the dude who play in The Green Mile (lol) but it better than that DBZ movie...ugh. :P

Linkstrikesback

Linkstrikesback said:

@26 Except Layton vs Ace Attorney is being done by level 5; Capcom don't have much, if anything to do with it.

komicturtle

komicturtle said:

Yeh... They should have went the anime/cartoon route. Anyone seen that Animal Crossing movie? I really enjoyed that..

NassaDane

NassaDane said:

Well it is Miike we are talking about. It would be weird if he made a bad movie. We'll see.

speshalmon

speshalmon said:

But, but, but, why does Japan get all the awesome video game stuff first? Crappy English dub coming DVD only in 2013.
Source: My dismayed fanboyism.

cnm_nintendo

cnm_nintendo said:

OMGOMG YAY ACE ATTORNEY MOVIE!!!! o-o But I would've thought if there was going to be an Ace Attorney Movie.... It would be anime not live-action... Any ideas for the plot anyone? o-o