Donkey Kong Country Returns Sells Over 4 Million in a Month

Posted by Trevor Chan

Worldwide sales as strong as DK's ground pounding

It hasn't been out for long when compared to the other big sellers of last year, but that hasn't stopped Donkey Kong Country Returns from flying off the shelves.

The return of the Donkey Kong franchise by way of Retro Studios has been selling like hot cakes ripe bananas since its North American release last November. Since then, combined global sales since the game's debut month have surpassed the 4.2 million mark, with 750,000 copies sold in Japan alone since its December release and the remaining 3,470,000 units from around the world.

Donkey Kong Country Returns was ranked 14th on the list of best-selling U.S. multi-platform software of 2010 by market research group NPD despite its relatively recent release. There were otherwise a total of four Wii games that made it into the top ten: New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Just Dance 2, Wii Fit Plus, and Super Mario Galaxy 2; taking 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th respectively. The only DS title that secured a position in the top ten was Pokémon SoulSilver in 10th place. The game also came in at #14 in the Japanese chart, but didn't finish so well in Europe in comparison, as the highest position it reached was in the German chart where it was ranked 19th.

Kong is one of 29 first-party Wii titles to sell over a million copies over the console's lifespan, with 70 third-party titles surpassing the million mark. Nintendo is experiencing sales at what it describes as a "smooth pace," and expects the potential evergreen title to continue to do well for a long period of time, especially in the U.S. where it's been performing the strongest out of the three major markets.

Are you one of the 4 million? If not, perhaps you ought to read our Donkey Kong Country Returns review and see why this is a title that deserves a spot in your collection.

[via nintendo.co.jp, nintendo.co.jp]

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

Good, the more sales it gets, the easier it'll be to find used when nobody cares about it anymore.

warioswoods

warioswoods said:

Well deserved. This game greatly exceeded my somewhat skeptical expectations, and honestly may be a better addition to my Wii library than NSMBWii.

Gerry-Rich

Gerry-Rich said:

Let me clarify that DKCR is doing it's bestest in USA, about 2/3 of those western sales are from North America with the remaining coming for Europe, Australia ect, Well deserved I say, a remarkable game that's been revived from a franchise that hasn't seen a new DKC since 1996. This is set to top DK65 this year sometime, then it will be only behind the original DKC.

Iggy

Iggy said:

This game was awesome easily one of my top favorite wii games. Hopefully sense they got great sales they will release a sequel which i allready think they will.

Punny

Punny said:

This awesome game deserves every cent it is getting. You must get it, Dragoon. :)

Angelic_Lapras_King

Angelic_Lapras_King said:

Arcade Owner: Sorry Donkey Kong, you're just not a draw no more.
DK throws barrel at Arcade Owner
Arcade Owner: Hey, his still got it!

Couldnt resist the Simpsons joke. XD

PaperLucario

PaperLucario said:

This game is truly a great title, levels look great, it's challenging and overall, fun. starts writing letter Dear, RetroStudios, please make more Donkey Kong Countrys. :3

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

It absolutely deserves it. As my thrid favorite Wii game and one of my favorite DK games, I'm happy to see it doing so well. Please let there be a Donkey Kong Country 2 Returns!

SuperMarioFan96

SuperMarioFan96 said:

Totally deserving.

By the way....
Mario Kart Wii and NSMB (DS) have each sold 26 million.
NSMB Wii has sold 21 million (though it was partially bundled)
Wii Party sold over 5 million during it's first 3 or so months.
And other things I can't remember....

2-D

2-D said:

@Warioswoods I know what you mean, it feels like Retro put a lot more effort in! NSMBWii isn't bad by any stretch of the imagination, but it's not as good as it could be

RantingThespian

RantingThespian said:

I have not bought it yet, but I do plan on getting it this year. I am glad DK and Diddy are back and this game hopefully will lead to more crazy swinging ape adventures!

DannyBoyTheDude

DannyBoyTheDude said:

Looks like Donkey Kong Country is just as popular as it was when it first came around. :D But I still need to pick it up. D:

Kirk

Kirk said:

Without the forced waggle for rolling and blowing this would certainly be up there with some of the best platformers...

Even with the forced waggle, and it's forced in a bad way imo which is why I mention it, it's still a great game but it will never quite be a true classic for me personally.

HappyHappy

HappyHappy said:

With all that money Nintendo made with the game they can certainly buy a lot of bananas.

Joetherocker

Joetherocker said:

I'll be getting this in April for my birthday. I don't currently have the funds to buy it myself. But waht I have played is great and seeing DK selling a lot is always a good thing.

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

Awesome to hear. Now give Retro Studios Star Fox to do and I'll be a happy camper!

Kid_A

Kid_A said:

Ahhh, it does my heart good to see this. DK Country Returns is a seriously great game; an instant platforming classic. Glad to see ol' DK still appeals to consumers :)

MasterGraveheart

MasterGraveheart said:

That's great. It's wonderful to hear when one of your exclusives sells well... now excuse me, these temples won't clear themselves!

DrCruse

DrCruse said:

It's a good platformer, yes, but it's not Donkey Kong Country caliber IMO.

Deviant_Mugen

Deviant_Mugen said:

This game most definitely deserves it. Kudos, Retro Studios and Nintendo...

And I agree that this game would be perfect had it not been for rolling being mapped to shaking the Wiimote...

@CB: Also agreed...

PSICOffee

PSICOffee said:

It's a great game, I just wish the roll was a button, you could hit enemies using momentum gathered from previous enemies hit (now you need Diddy running on you), you only need to hold the jump button to jump higher off an enemy and press the button twice to use the jetpack instead (a reversal of what they have).... pretty much they only needed to copy the control scheme of the Donkey Kong Land games and it would have been perfect and I wouldn't have to keep breaking my old DKC habits.

28greg

28greg said:

I plan on getting this for my birthday along with a nintendo 3DS in July but both of those are a lot of money so I'm starting to save up now.

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

I haven't bought the game yet (plan to at some point) but have had a few chances to play it. From what I've played the game seems awesome which isn't surprising considering the studio behind it. Glad to see it's selling well.

Machu

Machu said:

One of the best games I've ever played. And no amount of shaking could change that. Love it!

FluttershyGuy

FluttershyGuy said:

Great news. After the 3D obsession of the Nintendo 64 and GameCube... Finally... the side-scroller has come BACK to Nintennnnnndoooooooo (gives The People's Eyebrow). And it's here to stay (hopefully).

Big_A2

Big_A2 said:

I don't see what the big deal is with this game... maybe I'm not far enough yet, but it feels like Donkey Kong Country for people with attention disorders. It just doesn't have the same deep, dark, jungle vibe that Rare's games had.

ShadowSniper7

ShadowSniper7 said:

Besides the fact that they make you use motion controls and did not include Classic Controller support, this is a perfect game.

PS: Boss music was a little disappointing IMO

Pod

Pod said:

Already Retro's best selling game.

It's a little sad to see it surpass every Metroid Prime game in only two months, but that speaks both about how good the game is, and how fondly people remember the original trilogy by Rare.

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

See, people wanted a straight up platformer from DK, and lookie what happened. Some thing's just shouldn't tampered with. I and have sampled and plan to play this game full time when I get some time, and I anxiously await a follow up. If anyone can do a good game "and" good sequels it's now been proven to be Retro Studios. Good job, guys.